All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

RedFromMI

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:29 am Anyone find it odd that the lexan barriers were fashioned in a position to direct all the breath from the candidates right towards the moderator and from the moderator directly towards each candidate? Proving they really do not take this serious, they just want symbolism.

Why did Kamala's husband wear a mask, I don't get it, especially in that setting?
Because the non-participants were asked to. Pence's wife refused when on stage...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:05 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:29 am Anyone find it odd that the lexan barriers were fashioned in a position to direct all the breath from the candidates right towards the moderator and from the moderator directly towards each candidate? Proving they really do not take this serious, they just want symbolism.

Why did Kamala's husband wear a mask, I don't get it, especially in that setting?
Because the non-participants were asked to. Pence's wife refused when on stage...
Lack of virtue signaling.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Not just "asked to", it was a firm requirement.
Mother violated the agreement.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:09 am

And now that the debate commission is requiring virtual set ups for the next town hall style debate, Trump says he will hold a rally instead. He thinks that he is immune now from a combination of the Regeneron cocktail of antibodies and the steroids...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

well, by then he may well be "immune" from reinfection, (he only cares about himself) though he would quite possibly be continuing to shed virus. Particularly so if accepting the timeline the White House has been saying in terms of his own time as a carrier.

Just as importantly, the people around him now and traveling with him to such a rally are quite likely to have infections among them, given the rapid spread occurring throughout those ranks. Just as they've been missing infections with their supposed testing protocols, they will continue to have this problem.

But heck, this has never been about whether the President will infect others, it's that he would encourage them to behave in ways that create super spreader potential. Each "rally" is such an event, with the encouragement of no distancing and removal of masks as a show of political defiance.

But he cares nothing for the suckers and losers who put their trust in him.
They're all pawns to be sacrificed.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:13 am

And now that the debate commission is requiring virtual set ups for the next town hall style debate, Trump says he will hold a rally instead. He thinks that he is immune now from a combination of the Regeneron cocktail of antibodies and the steroids...
You guys are hilarious. Avoid the discussion point of their breath being directed at mod and visa versa via lexan wall. Especially knowing Pence was around the super spreader and could be a carrier. :roll:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I do agree that there should have been a shield between Pence and the moderator.

They received all sorts of pushback from Pence on even having shields between the candidates, Pence initially refused, so my hunch would be that they acquiesced on that.

and then Pence overtalked his time and Mother took off her mask...

They grew a backbone with the Oct 15 changes.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Mother is a radical lawbreaker. Who knew?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:40 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:27 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:29 am
Anyone find it odd that the lexan barriers were fashioned in a position to direct all the breath from the candidates right towards the moderator and from the moderator directly towards each candidate? Proving they really do not take this serious, they just want symbolism.

You guys are hilarious. Avoid the discussion point of their breath being directed at mod and visa versa via lexan wall. Especially knowing Pence was around the super spreader and could be a carrier. :roll:
I do agree that there should have been a shield between Pence and the moderator.

They received all sorts of pushback from Pence on even having shields between the candidates, Pence initially refused, so my hunch would be that they acquiesced on that.

Holy smokes....I think that was a favorable post for a republican by you....shhhh, I wont tell anyone. :lol: ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:44 am
Anyone find it odd that the lexan barriers were fashioned in a position to direct all the breath from the candidates right towards the moderator and from the moderator directly towards each candidate? Proving they really do not take this serious, they just want symbolism.

Holy smokes....I think that was a favorable post for a republican by you....shhhh, I wont tell anyone. :lol: ;)
:D not sure which Republican you think that was "favorable" about but I did agree with you re a front shield, so that's something...

As I've been very clear previously, while Pence would do a better job as POTUS than Trump, I find him to be an obsequious empty suit certainly unworthy of the office he holds.

He oozed such obsequiousness again last evening. He's very good at portraying false sincerity, but lying remains lying. And the pandemic is undeniable and front of mind for most voters, certainly the independents yet in possible play.

I thought Harris missed some opportunities to call his BS out, but I suspect that was purposeful, planned restraint. She also was able to avoid answering some questions that were problematic simply because he'd been so evasive and downright unresponsive to direct questions before her tough ones came along. That gave her cover to simply play for par. And the ones he avoided are quite likely far more important to the independent voter than were hers.

And, despite the impression that Pence was getting far more time than she, because he so frequently over-talked his time and had to be reprimanded by the moderator, Harris nevertheless was able to reclaim time and respond, ultimately keeping the total time spoken dead even. But that accrued to her benefit as she was seen as staying within the rules, rather than breaching them.

On body language and general demeanor she won the debate going away. As one commentator pointed out, Pence is a former radio show host and may have not understood or prepared for the reality that they were both on TV simultaneously 100% of the time. Harris clearly understood this and used her smile and gentle shakes of the head to strong effect, whereas he looked uncomfortable for most of the time he was not speaking.

It's no surprise that the polling has her as having 'won' the debate so strongly.

It was interesting that Pence seemed to have Pennsylvania as his #1 objective (fracking, fracking, fracking and ISIS had a territory the size of Pennsylvania), whereas her #1 target appeared to be younger voters (climate, rent, student debt, free college) and by extension, their parents, the "Momala" voter.

IMO (and 538's) Pennsylvania has largely moved out of reach for Trump this go round, so Pence's obsession with fracking will very likely be fruitless, especially as Biden has been clear that he's not shutting down fracking, though he's in favor of restricting new fracking permits on public lands. It just falls flat that PA fracking jobs are going to be lost under Biden.

Harris was looking to encourage younger voters, who skew far more liberal than the older voters Biden has recaptured so effectively, to show up and vote, to have a hope for a progressive set of policies that most directly impact them and their futures. And she did it in a way that will appeal to suburban women voters, the other sector the Biden campaign needs to turn out strongly. And without coming across as some sort of scary far lefty wing nut, at least from the perspective of independents and moderates from both parties.

But, yeah, she'll drive the far right wing nuts crazy, ala Trump's characterization of her this AM as a "monster" and "unappealing". Of course, that, too, will backfire this year. Times up.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"I thought Harris missed some opportunities to call his BS out, but I suspect that was purposeful, planned restraint."

Yes, agreed. I think this was a case of do no harm, be scrupulously polite, and deflect as much of the silliness that transforms a well-spoken woman in command of the issues into "arrogant" or "condescending." She did a very able job.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:21 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:44 am

:D not sure which Republican you think that was "favorable" about but I did agree with you re a front shield, so that's something...

As I've been very clear previously, while Pence would do a better job as POTUS than Trump, I find him to be an obsequious empty suit certainly unworthy of the office he holds.

He oozed such obsequiousness again last evening. He's very good at portraying false sincerity, but lying remains lying. And the pandemic is undeniable and front of mind for most voters, certainly the independents yet in possible play.

I thought Harris missed some opportunities to call his BS out, but I suspect that was purposeful, planned restraint. She also was able to avoid answering some questions that were problematic simply because he'd been so evasive and downright unresponsive to direct questions before her tough ones came along. That gave her cover to simply play for par. And the ones he avoided are quite likely far more important to the independent voter than were hers.

And, despite the impression that Pence was getting far more time than she, because he so frequently over-talked his time and had to be reprimanded by the moderator, Harris nevertheless was able to reclaim time and respond, ultimately keeping the total time spoken dead even. But that accrued to her benefit as she was seen as staying within the rules, rather than breaching them.

On body language and general demeanor she won the debate going away. As one commentator pointed out, Pence is a former radio show host and may have not understood or prepared for the reality that they were both on TV simultaneously 100% of the time. Harris clearly understood this and used her smile and gentle shakes of the head to strong effect, whereas he looked uncomfortable for most of the time he was not speaking.

It's no surprise that the polling has her as having 'won' the debate so strongly.

It was interesting that Pence seemed to have Pennsylvania as his #1 objective (fracking, fracking, fracking and ISIS had a territory the size of Pennsylvania), whereas her #1 target appeared to be younger voters (climate, rent, student debt, free college) and by extension, their parents, the "Momala" voter.

IMO (and 538's) Pennsylvania has largely moved out of reach for Trump this go round, so Pence's obsession with fracking will very likely be fruitless, especially as Biden has been clear that he's not shutting down fracking, though he's in favor of restricting new fracking permits on public lands. It just falls flat that PA fracking jobs are going to be lost under Biden.

Harris was looking to encourage younger voters, who skew far more liberal than the older voters Biden has recaptured so effectively, to show up and vote, to have a hope for a progressive set of policies that most directly impact them and their futures. And she did it in a way that will appeal to suburban women voters, the other sector the Biden campaign needs to turn out strongly. And without coming across as some sort of scary far lefty wing nut, at least from the perspective of independents and moderates from both parties.

But, yeah, she'll drive the far right wing nuts crazy, ala Trump's characterization of her this AM as a "monster" and "unappealing". Of course, that, too, will backfire this year. Times up.
I think Pence and Harris both subscribe to the Costanza theory:

"It's not a lie, if you believe it!"
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:51 am I think Pence and Harris both subscribe to the Costanza theory:

"It's not a lie, if you believe it!"
+100

That's not possible. Did I mention that Harris has a little D by her name?

That means she can't lie.

That's my all time favorite George line. And I love that Seinfeld breaks down, and can't lie when hooked up to the lie detector....
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:41 am "I thought Harris missed some opportunities to call his BS out, but I suspect that was purposeful, planned restraint."

Yes, agreed. I think this was a case of do no harm, be scrupulously polite, and deflect as much of the silliness that transforms a well-spoken woman in command of the issues into "arrogant" or "condescending." She did a very able job.

She won. She let Pence over talk her on a few occasions, laying the trap. Her approval rating from those who watched the debate in monitored fashion went from low 50 / high 40 to 65 or so. Male and female. Mission accomplished. Her job wasn't to destroy the sniveling weasel.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Hanoi Jane—a Biden/Harris supporter—is relishing in her belief that coronavirus is Gods gift to the left.
\
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5200 ... o-the-left

that's some religion on the left—200K dead is a gift from God and 65 million abortions as the lefts sacrament.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Maybe we should ask ND's Fr. Jenkins about his opinion? He's on the debate commission. Got his C+ at the WH SCOTUS event.

Priests like Jenkins might tell you that "virtue signaling" and "symbolism" is what they call "leading by example" or "WWJD".

Also could be a bit of payback to a-hole Trump for putting his job at ND in jeopardy.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
ggait

Post by ggait »

25% chance that PA will be the tipping point state. FL 17%. WI 14.5%. MI 8.6%.

Problem on election night could be that none of PA or WI or MI will be in a position to release results -- they don't start processing remote ballots until election day. And post marked PA ballots can be received for several days after election day.

So FL (again) is really the key state. FL starts counting early and ballots are cut off on election day poll closing. If FL is announced for Joe on election night, that practically (but not mathematically) ends Trump. Since if Joe wins FL as one of the closer swing states, he's very likely to win the others (PA, WI, MI) that are less close.

If Trump takes FL or FL is too close to call on election night, then we start to go down the contested election rabbit hole.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:50 pm
Maybe we should ask ND's Fr. Jenkins about his opinion? He's on the debate commission. Got his C+ at the WH SCOTUS event.

Priests like Jenkins might tell you that "virtue signaling" and "symbolism" is what they call "leading by example" or "WWJD".

Also could be a bit of payback to a-hole Trump for putting his job at ND in jeopardy.
was he masked up? without looking, i'm gonna go ahead assume nd students need to be in all kinds of places.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:28 pm
25% chance that PA will be the tipping point state. FL 17%. WI 14.5%. MI 8.6%.

Problem on election night could be that none of PA or WI or MI will be in a position to release results -- they don't start processing remote ballots until election day. And post marked PA ballots can be received for several days after election day.

So FL (again) is really the key state. FL starts counting early and ballots are cut off on election day poll closing. If FL is announced for Joe on election night, that practically (but not mathematically) ends Trump. Since if Joe wins FL as one of the closer swing states, he's very likely to win the others (PA, WI, MI) that are less close.

If Trump takes FL or FL is too close to call on election night, then we start to go down the contested election rabbit hole.
where are we on pa and wi post election night counting and postmark challenges?

still election week or still up in the air?
njbill

Post by njbill »

I can only speak to PA. You are familiar with the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruling, I assume. That has been appealed to the Supreme Court. The Republicans’ brief was due on Monday. I haven’t heard anything since then. In particular, I haven’t heard whether the court has voted on taking the case.

I assume you mean pre-election day counting of ballots. Pennsylvania law is that ballots can’t be counted until election day.

The Republicans in the legislature and the governor have been haggling about this for sometime now. Last I heard, the Republican proposal was three days before the election. The governor’s was three weeks. But the Republican’s was coupled with banning drop boxes, which the governor won’t agree to.

So, still at an impasse. If not resolved, then Pennsylvania results will no doubt dribble out periodically.

Return to “POLITICS”