Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: Games Today

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:30 pm Michigan was a huge disappointment today. Inconsistency is a downfall in tough games for them. They aren’t used to winning games like this. Better to take the loss and grow rather than later in the year. They may figure it out and game a win vs Northwestern on 4/20. Still plenty of time to fix things.

On Coastal Carolina, we should take a few points into account. From what I’ve seen, they relied heavily on Downey last season and the offensive chemistry just was not there in the early season—looks like they are figuring it out now. Defensively they are inconsistent—both goalies in the Lindenwood game couldn’t save much (from stats). Looks like too many fouls on the 8m as well.

Which of Coastal Carolina’s 4 losses were a lock for them to win? They were picked to end 3rd in conference and Liberty is the next big test coming up soon.

With the exception of Clemson who have they played that shouldn’t or couldn’t be beat?

My response about Coastal is always referring to the beginning of the season take that many here have said that this year “Coastal was going to take a big step forward.”Some thought they were going to be a “suprisingly good team.” Kinda like my asinine take that Army was gonna win the Patriot this year.

Coastal certainly ly took a step back from whatever momentum they grabbed when Whitten came. In fact, they haven’t looked good at all. They got killed by Davidson, lost to Mercer. Lost to Vermont who gets killed by any good team. CCU barely beat Elon and barely most recently beat Lindenwood at home.

I don’t know, a team on the rise with that cupcake schedule should probably be 10-1 right now, possibly 9-2. And if they were, the. I wouldn’t have made my comment because it would appear they and you were right. But unfortunately for you, assuming your daughter is on the team, they didn’t.
You don’t like my take, that’s fine. I rarely agree with yours. I just chose not to chirp you about it. I’m sure I won’t say a word to you after they lose to Liberty. Another winnable game.

Here’s another one you’re not gonna like . Coastal isn’t going anywhere soon.
Last edited by Relax77 on Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Good to see Sammy White back.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

ultravisitor wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:56 pm Good to see Sammy White back.
:D in other news NU is leading Rutgers 14 to 5 at halftime.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

NULax2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:13 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:56 pm Good to see Sammy White back.
:D in other news NU is leading Rutgers 14 to 5 at halftime.
Close one
OuttaNowhereWregget

Let me help you with that steaming pile of tripe, Sleepdrifter

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Sleepdrifter wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:27 am
flushlax77 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:46 pm Tied 11-11! The non-goal looms VERY large Right now. BC is going to DISMANTLE this team. Props to ONW on the call of ND being on the downswing.
It’s posts like this that make me think folks like you, LaxDadMax and ONW (or Cletus) which ever handle he goes by are reminiscent of a folk lore hero football star from Polk High, who scored 4 touchdowns in a 1966 city championship game. Having zero clue about what it takes to play and coach at this level. Maybe sitting listening to the boss’s “Glory Days” while being a keyboard critic should be reconsidered.
Huh? What does a star from Polk High have to do with the point of your mishegas paragraph? I'm assuming you mean the only folks who are truly qualified to be keyboard critics, in this particular instance, have to have played and/or coached women's D1 lacrosse. Most people who write about sports don't qualify. So they should all stop writing about sports unless they've played or coached? Asinine. But then I'm sure you won't need to examine anyone's credentials if they crank out pablum hype about the Irish, right? Please...
Sleepdrifter wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:27 am You all need to get some new hobbies. Here is a question for your so called downswingers. Having beaten NW, UNC and BC (past 3 National Champs). What other team holds this accomplishment?
That means (pardon me a moment) ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! (thank you). Regular season wins over the past 3 National Champs? That's the mic drop validation for your all-hype-no-goods-delivered women's lacrosse program? Has your pack of Fighting Irish ever won a national championship? Allow me--NO. Has Notre Dame ever made the final four? Yes--ONCE, back in 2006. Has your group of Golden Domers ever won a conference championship? Yes, ONCE--the Big East conference in 2009. Not very impressive is it? Even for Harry Folklore of ol' Polk High. Until you win anything significant in this decade, yes--you are quintessentially the Frauds from Nap City. Regardless of your meaningless regular season wins over the last three national champions, you'll be on the downswing soon enough. Bank on it. Or in your team's case--Nap on it.
Sleepdrifter wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:27 am Also, maybe brush up on some geography for ONW! Having previously referred to ND as the frauds from Nap City. Indianapolis is often called Nap City, so just a quick reminder, ND is in South Bend!

That's the segment from ESPN's 30 by 30 Winning Time (released in March of 2010) on what New Yorkers thought (and think) of Indiana. If you don't want to watch the entire 3:30 clip you can skip to 2:13 where Pete Vecsey of the New York Post says, "We used to call (Indiana) Nap City. Probably still is called Nap City 'cause most players when they get there they do go to sleep." Indiana--he's referring to, not frickin Indianapolis. Go take it up with him as to the incorrect application. That's the way he, and others, hence "we" referred to Indiana, and that's the way I used it. So just a quick reminder, Notre Dame and South Bend are both in Indiana.
Sleepdrifter wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:27 am Take a lap fellas. Or just simply put me on ignore as you conveniently do with any other poster that calls you out! Back to your regularly scheduled nonsense boys. Go get it!
"Calls you out"? Is that what you feel you did? I think you embarrassed yourself. You proved bupkis.

A lot of misguided, misinformed Notre Dame "nonsense" is what your post boils down to.

Go get it? Go get what?
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Thu May 09, 2024 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:00 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:08 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 pm
Fischer wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 pm My daughter told me I officially have a problem. I’m watching a D2 game. Tampa vs Florida Southern. Honestly. Not much different than games I’ve watched with middle of the road D1 teams. They seem to turn the ball over less than the Penn State v Lehigh game I saw.
Enjoy those D2 games…..those kids can play. Top 10 are about right where you speak. Usually entertaining games at the top of the table but at the bottom it is hard to watch and there are some overmatched teams in whatever game their playing in.
It was a good game. Some weird decisions at the end. The top level talent on the two ranked teams could definitely play D1. It just must suck when these teams have to play other teams. I looked at their schedules and a ton of blowouts.
Anything below the top 25 in d1 is god awful Many girls at top d2 schools could easily play on top 25 d1 teams Some don’t want to live eat breathe lax I know many a nursing student that were flat out told by top d1 programs it’s not possible to do Tuck the pretentious in a little

That's a bit unfair. Honestly believe the gap between 16 and 40 is usually pretty minimal. The difference is one or two more difference makers or more often just coaching and experience. For instance if Ohio State (a team ranked around 40) beat Princeton (a team ranked in high teens) would that really shock you?

I would agree that once you get past 50, talent declines pretty fast.

Here is a question for debate.

Which of the following teams (if any) would win a D2 natty?

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer
Honestly. Maybe just ASU. Long shot Mercer. Coastal isn’t good. I know you are big on them but they took a HUGE step back this year. Watched a few of their games. Way too inconsistent. Lehigh has a tremendous goalie. But their offense is really only three kids who can score. Those same three turn it over religiously. I mean ridiculously a lot and most of the time unforced. Mercer I think had a really great season last year, took a step back. Davidson is in the Coastal department. So maybe Arizona State.

I’ve watched multiple Pace and Adelphi games. Seen Tampa, E Stroudsberg, Westchester and now Florida Southern. I think those teams could give the aforementioned teams a really good game with probably beating ASU 50% of the times
Of course before the nuts come out and attack me because one of their kids go to one of those schools, It’s just my opinion and I really don’t know anything. I’m also two hours into my drinking session. 😉
Crazy how Coastal Carolina took a step back then beat your team that’s two years out of a national championship, Lindenwood. Go ahead and pump the brakes on your Coastal Carolina hot takes.
My team Lindenwood. Lmao.
People on this site needs to relax and take a breath when their daughter’s teams are mentioned. You guys kick around my daughter’s team the last two years, I don’t say boo. Great win. That should move them up from 70 to 65.
Relax Molon. Have a cream soda. What you said is exactly what I said in the beginning. Others, probably including yourself, disagreed. I said Downey leaving would hurt them. It did.
I have no kids on the Coastal team—I know players on the team due to the club scene. Sorry for the confusion. :lol:

I also thought they’d struggle a bit with the loss of Downey. I knew they had some good incoming players from seeing some of their commits play over the summer.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:47 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:30 pm Michigan was a huge disappointment today. Inconsistency is a downfall in tough games for them. They aren’t used to winning games like this. Better to take the loss and grow rather than later in the year. They may figure it out and game a win vs Northwestern on 4/20. Still plenty of time to fix things.

On Coastal Carolina, we should take a few points into account. From what I’ve seen, they relied heavily on Downey last season and the offensive chemistry just was not there in the early season—looks like they are figuring it out now. Defensively they are inconsistent—both goalies in the Lindenwood game couldn’t save much (from stats). Looks like too many fouls on the 8m as well.

Which of Coastal Carolina’s 4 losses were a lock for them to win? They were picked to end 3rd in conference and Liberty is the next big test coming up soon.

With the exception of Clemson who have they played that shouldn’t or couldn’t be beat?

My response about Coastal is always referring to the beginning of the season take that many here have said that this year “Coastal was going to take a big step forward.”Some thought they were going to be a “suprisingly good team.” Kinda like my asinine take that Army was gonna win the Patriot this year.

Coastal certainly ly took a step back from whatever momentum they grabbed when Whitten came. In fact, they haven’t looked good at all. They got killed by Davidson, lost to Mercer. Lost to Vermont who gets killed by any good team. CCU barely beat Elon and barely most recently beat Lindenwood at home.

I don’t know, a team on the rise with that cupcake schedule should probably be 10-1 right now, possibly 9-2. And if they were, the. I wouldn’t have made my comment because it would appear they and you were right. But unfortunately for you, assuming your daughter is on the team, they didn’t.
You don’t like my take, that’s fine. I rarely agree with yours. I just chose not to chirp you about it. I’m sure I won’t say a word to you after they lose to Liberty. Another winnable game.

Love it. :lol:

Third year college football teams can have dips—it’s normal as they get their players in there. Lacrosse is no different. No shock there is a dip with talent graduating—Whitten also lost her long time assistant who left lacrosse game—looking at her staff. She has two fairly green assistants helping her out, so again, a dip or drop isn’t surprising. I see a great opportunity for any team that can step it up in the ASUN since Jacksonville may not maintain their previous success.

I’ve never mentioned my daughter’s team and I don’t push for her team—much more interesting conversations in keeping any parental bias out of the discussion.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:39 pm

Third year college football teams can have dips—it’s normal as they get their players in there. Lacrosse is no different. No shock there is a dip with talent graduating—Whitten also lost her long time assistant who left lacrosse game—looking at her staff. She has two fairly green assistants helping her out, so again, a dip or drop isn’t surprising. I see a great opportunity for any team that can step it up in the ASUN since Jacksonville may not maintain their previous success.

I’ve never mentioned my daughter’s team and I don’t push for her team—much more interesting conversations in keeping any parental bias out of the discussion.

Fitzgerald was a huge loss. I also would’ve liked Girardi to stay another year. Felt it would’ve helped recruiting. Kids knew her.
Yep.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:48 pm

Fitzgerald was a huge loss. I also would’ve liked Girardi to stay another year. Felt it would’ve helped recruiting. Kids knew her.
Yep.
Having two Northwestern grads on the staff was a more compelling story. Losing them both in a short time frame is a disaster, but I’d guess it was unrelated.

Girardi seemed like a good addition on the offensive side and I was interested to see if she could coach them up or not. With just one year at Coastal it’s impossible for me to say what she contributed. Same holds true at Hopkins.

Speaking of Hopkins, I think was happy to see them beat JMU, but missed the game. Should be an interesting last 4 games of the regular season coming up. I can see winning 2, but I think Maryland kills them and I’d slightly favor Michigan, but they could pull off the upset. Thoughts on JHU?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:48 pm

Yep.
Having two Northwestern grads on the staff was a more compelling story. Losing them both in a short time frame is a disaster, but I’d guess it was unrelated.

Girardi seemed like a good addition on the offensive side and I was interested to see if she could coach them up or not. With just one year at Coastal it’s impossible for me to say what she contributed. Same holds true at Hopkins.

Speaking of Hopkins, I think was happy to see them beat JMU, but missed the game. Should be an interesting last 4 games of the regular season coming up. I can see winning 2, but I think Maryland kills them and I’d slightly favor Michigan, but they could pull off the upset. Thoughts on JHU?
I like them. I definitely think they had a good recruiting year setting them up down the road.
I Think JHU was another one that was called out by a lot of posters here as making a statement year. Myself included. Tim and their staff have done a great job. I would be shocked if they lost to Rutgers and PSU. Possibly upsetting Maryland and Michigan running the table. Can they make noise in the tourney, yep. Maybe 8 this year. Good year for them.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I can't remember what thread I put it on or who it was that responded to my comment so I'll put it on this thread.
I said a game or two back that I couldn't understand why Goodale doesn't take the ball to the cage and shoot when she brings it downfield on clears (which she does often), as I sure do believe she could just keep going to the cage and put it in. My comment came after watching her pass out on a FPS from a good hash she was given. I thought why would you pass that off, Katie, you can take that in and put it past the GK. Someone came on and said there's good reason Goodale doesn't shoot and my response was that I find that hard to believe given the athlete she is, and it's not as if she's a poor stick handler or poor passer. Well, I understand the comment now. She went to the arc yesterday and ended up getting two chances from there (think it was the center hash too) as she got crashed on and roughed up a bit on her first attempt. I don't know if the second attempt was worse than the first one but neither was good. Nope, shooting is not Katie's forte but that girl is one fantastic D girl and all around player. Very tough and scrappy. It's a good idea to pass the ball when you see Katie coming at you
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

flushlax77 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:56 pm
Sleepdrifter wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:27 am
flushlax77 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:46 pm Tied 11-11! The non-goal looms VERY large Right now. BC is going to DISMANTLE this team. Props to ONW on the call of ND being on the downswing.
It’s posts like this that make me think folks like you, LaxDadMax and ONW (or Cletus) which ever handle he goes by are reminiscent of a folk lore hero football star from Polk High, who scored 4 touchdowns in a 1966 city championship game. Having zero clue about what it takes to play and coach at this level. Maybe sitting listening to the boss’s “Glory Days” while being a keyboard critic should be reconsidered.

You all need to get some new hobbies. Here is a question for your so called downswingers. Having beaten NW, UNC and BC (past 3 National Champs). What other team holds this accomplishment?

Also, maybe brush up on some geography for ONW! Having previously referred to ND as the frauds from Nap City. Indianapolis is often called Nap City, so just a quick reminder, ND is in South Bend!

Take a lap fellas. Or just simply put me on ignore as you conveniently do with any other poster that calls you out! Back to your regularly scheduled nonsense boys. Go get it!
Getting compared to ONW is literally the meanest thing you could say to me
:lol: That's funny!
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

Different coaching staff same UVA . Start the season hot , win a couple big games , crash and burn when other coaching staffs adjust and they don’t . 13 of Dukes 15 goals were assisted and many were 1 on 1 with the goalie but they stayed in the same zone and just let them get picked apart . Duke came out in a man and UVA went away from what they do best and did exactly what the old coaching staff did , get the ball to a couple of players and get out of the way . Makes it way too easy for the goalies to make saves and easy to defend .
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

I will be the first to say I got it wrong about Coastal. Knew that Whiteen leaving was big, but excepted lots of the girls who got lots of PT as fresh/sophs to step up. They haven't.

Most perplexing is the defense, which is probably one of the worse in college lacrosse which only lost one player and has moved backwards a ton. I likly underestimated the impact of assistant coach departures.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

[flash=][/flash]
LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:43 am

Here’s another one you’re not gonna like . Coastal isn’t ok going anywhere soon.
I will be the first to say I got it wrong about Coastal. Knew that Whiteen leaving was big, but excepted lots of the girls who got lots of PT as fresh/sophs to step up. They haven't.

Most perplexing is the defense, which is probably one of the worse in college lacrosse which only lost one player and has moved backwards a ton. I likly underestimated the impact of assistant coach departures.
My assumption is that Fitzgerald handled the defense with Whitten holding more sway over the offense. Having played for NW, you could see some of the classic NW man pressure D in play in previous years. It doesn’t look the same anymore.

My second assumption is that Giacolone is responsible for the defense, since she had stepped up to a D coordinator role at Stanford. She’s a goalie by training and it appears she hasn’t put it all together on how the defense should or could work? Very green IMO.

You are correct, it appears that they’ve only lost one defender, but they are playing a few freshmen at mid, which could contribute to some of the problems.

Looking at other sites, Coastal is ranked 59th in D1 defense and 22nd in saves. Goalie play is saving them more often then not.

From looking at the IL site, it looks like they’ve picked up a significant amount of defenders from the 24 and 25 class.

Based on Jacksonville getting utterly waxed by Cornell on Saturday, I’d say Coastal has as much of a shot as Liberty, Lindenwood, etc., at winning the ASUN this year. Liberty isn’t setting the world on fire, so it’s anyone’s game.

I’m just trying to tease apart what’s going on at Jacksonville now. Coaching change and a huge fall off—so they lack the horses or does the scheme not match the athletes?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 pm Speaking of Hopkins, I think was happy to see them beat JMU, but missed the game. Should be an interesting last 4 games of the regular season coming up. I can see winning 2, but I think Maryland kills them and I’d slightly favor Michigan, but they could pull off the upset. Thoughts on JHU?
I'm curious--why do you suppose this?

The replay is still up if you have a chance to watch it. They were very impressive--Hop was. If they go at the Terps like they went at the Dukes, they'll win.

https://www.centennialconference.tv/?B=936442
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:41 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 pm Speaking of Hopkins, I think was happy to see them beat JMU, but missed the game. Should be an interesting last 4 games of the regular season coming up. I can see winning 2, but I think Maryland kills them and I’d slightly favor Michigan, but they could pull off the upset. Thoughts on JHU?

The replay is still up if you have a chance to watch it. They were very impressive--Hop was. If they go at the Terps like they went at the Dukes, they'll win.

I think Hopkins has a good team for sure. McCormack has done a great job in his first season there. Picking up Doucette was a no brainer—she’s a veteran leader that can help that defense so much. My hope is they come in hot like they did against JMU and I’m hoping for a top game of the year matchup.

I’d give Hopkins a slight edge offensively in this game, but Hopkins doesn’t have a defense as good as Maryland’s. Hopkins lost two close games against two teams with top defenses (Cuse and Denver). They dropped another close one to a team with a very similar defense level (Navy).

I think Maryland has a significant edge defensively over Hopkins. Sterling is a little better than Doucette and the overall defense is better.

If the D plays up to potential, I don’t see Hopkins getting a ton of goals in this matchup. Hence, edge for Maryland, as they did a good job of putting up points on a lot of solid defenses this year, Michigan included.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:19 pm

I think Hopkins has a good team for sure. McCormack has done a great job in his first season there. Picking up Doucette was a no brainer—she’s a veteran leader that can help that defense so much. My hope is they come in hot like they did against JMU and I’m hoping for a top game of the year matchup.

I’d give Hopkins a slight edge offensively in this game, but Hopkins doesn’t have a defense as good as Maryland’s. Hopkins lost two close games against two teams with top defenses (Cuse and Denver). They dropped another close one to a team with a very similar defense level (Navy).

I think Maryland has a significant edge defensively over Hopkins. Sterling is a little better than Doucette and the overall defense is better.

If the D plays up to potential, I don’t see Hopkins getting a ton of goals in this matchup. Hence, edge for Maryland, as they did a good job of putting up points on a lot of solid defenses this year, Michigan included.
You named the Hopkins men’s team losses. Hop lost to Loyola, Penn and Northwestern.

4 of the last 5 MD/Hop games have been one goal MD wins. Tough to think Hop wins since it’s never happened, but thinking MD “kills them” is an interesting take. Who has MD killed this year
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

hmmm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:20 pm

You named the Hopkins men’s team losses. Hop lost to Loyola, Penn and Northwestern.

4 of the last 5 MD/Hop games have been one goal MD wins. Tough to think Hop wins since it’s never happened, but thinking MD “kills them” is an interesting take. Who has MD killed this year
Thanks for catching my error on the games! I love watching the men’s team this season and I messed up the losses in my head.

What’s the definition of kills them in this case? What’s the requirement for GD? 10+? 6-8+? They had a few big wins against lesser comp. I don’t have a definitive answer, but I’m anticipating an opportunity for a letdown/collapse by Hopkins. It’s still a transition situation with the coaching staff and I’m not expecting a miracle here.

My hope is Hopkins beats the brakes off of Maryland. I’m no MD fan and I’d like to see the underdog pull off a big win here. However, I just don’t see it happening with how this season is going.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:39 pm
hmmm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:20 pm

Thanks for catching my error on the games! I love watching the men’s team this season and I messed up the losses in my head.

What’s the definition of kills them in this case? What’s the requirement for GD? 10+? 6-8+? They had a few big wins against lesser comp. I don’t have a definitive answer, but I’m anticipating an opportunity for a letdown/collapse by Hopkins. It’s still a transition situation with the coaching staff and I’m not expecting a miracle here.

My hope is Hopkins beats the brakes off of Maryland. I’m no MD fan and I’d like to see the underdog pull off a big win here. However, I just don’t see it happening with how this season is going.
You do realize this is TM's second season at Hop right?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”