Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2021

Post by youthathletics »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 am Did anyone else shake their head over the 2 MINUTE foul for the hit in the 2nd half against the Navy longpole? Granted it was a little late, but it was shoulder-to-shoulder and not even "violent"?? Further, the ref from the farside of the field made the call. He's the ref that loves to have conferences and cover his mouth as if people are lip reading...ugh, let the boys play!!
Im with you.....

They called it Unnecessary, b/c the player had JUST released the ball, as if the laws of physics would have allowed a player to process everything around them and stop immediately on a complete blade of grass. We have to be reminded, with events like this, that they want contact out of the game. But they will continue to allow breaking the rules at the faceoff-x every game.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Another point of emphasis I'd request our staff to convey:

Make certain our offensive players know the basic standards of the defense. Loyola did a great job when I believe #48 Navy got hung up on defense. Loyola then recognized this and used him to play part in a pick game, where he got caught in the wash. Fortunately, Loyola missed the shot, scraping off that pick in their alley dodge.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Hell of an effort against Loyola. Glad to see that the MIDS put together a total team effort with passion.

40/41/34 - were solid down low and keep the high flying Loyola attack in check for the most part. It was good to see #8 and #30 racking up strong performances.

20 was solid between the pipes and outlets were on point

28 is the new Alpha at Midfield with 29 playing equally as strong. I suspect both will draw poles this weekend. IMO, I would run 48 or 66 with this midfield. 43 is a nice player but needs more time to develop. Nice to 22 get on the board with a nice step down goal

3, 2 and 8 are solid, 10/18 are very athletic continue to improve, 49 is all over the field and continues to impress !

Good to see 21 back on attack, the ball flows more efficiently and his vision opens the skip lanes, 17 was solid and played with passion from the start and 32 is a solid crease man/ man-up threat - who needs more minutes ! IMO for this weekend , I would play 32 on the inside , as Army will be coming early and often with physical play. #6 is a nice player but 28 /29 /48 will bring the hard dodges and demand a quick slide, so for that reason only I would go with 32.

Let's GO MIDS , beat army !

God bless these young future leaders
old salt

Post by old salt »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:01 pmGood to see 21 back on attack, the ball flows more efficiently and his vision opens the skip lanes,
Agree. Don't know if you remember him, but I've noted how much #21 reminds me of Bruce Nechanicky. Good things happen when they work from behind GLE. With #17 graduating, I wonder if next year, #21 will spend more time on the other wing, finishing primarily lefty, since #32 & #6 look to be primarily righty. Any other lefty attackman candidates returning or inbound ? ...#17 will be hard to replace.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I like this Navy team and would like to learn more about the players on the squad. However, I need to have a roster handy to follow any of the posts in this thread.

"#35 played great. #21 needs to play more. Coach #1 (Amplo) needs to put #14 at x to QB the offense." :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:19 pm
TheGoat1999 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:01 pmGood to see 21 back on attack, the ball flows more efficiently and his vision opens the skip lanes,
Agree. Don't know if you remember him, but I've noted how much #21 reminds me of Bruce Nechanicky. Good things happen when they work from behind GLE. With #17 graduating, I wonder if next year, #21 will spend more time on the other wing, finishing primarily lefty, since #32 & #6 look to be primarily righty. Any other lefty attackman candidates returning or inbound ? ...#17 will be hard to replace.
#27 and #36 are lefties, so there is some depth there, you could also float #29 into that spot which keeps him on the field, There are options.

#17 raised the bar on riding, can he TAD on the yard for an additional year, since he would have an extra year of eligibility? :lol:
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

Patriot League expected to expand lacrosse tournaments to six teams, giving Navy hope
By BILL WAGNER, CAPITAL GAZETTE, APR 20, 2021 AT 3:24 PM

It appears the Navy men’s and women’s lacrosse teams are back in the hunt for a berth in the postseason.
The Patriot League is expected to announce at some point this week it is expanding its men’s and women’s lacrosse tournaments by two teams, multiple sources have told The Capital.

When the Patriot League initially announced the format for spring sports, it split schools into North and South Divisions. The tournament for men’s and women’s lacrosse was going to be limited to four teams — the top two finishers from each division.

Under the updated plan expected to receive final approval this week, the quarterfinal round of the Patriot League tournament would be reinstated. Such a scenario would open a path for the Navy men’s and women’s teams to qualify.

Both Navy teams had previously been eliminated from tournament contention by virtue of having lost to South Division opponents Lehigh and Loyola Maryland.

If the tournament is expanded to six total teams, Navy men’s lacrosse would need to defeat Lafayette on May 1 to secure a berth. With a win, Navy would become the third seed in the South Division and would play at No. 2 Loyola in the quarterfinals on May 4.

Lehigh, which has beaten Navy and Loyola, would receive a bye as the top seed in the South and host the winner of Navy-Loyola in the semifinals on May 7.

Meanwhile, on the women’s side, Navy must beat American this Saturday and Bucknell the following Saturday to secure a berth. Wins in those two games would make Navy the third seed in the South and set up a quarterfinal matchup at Lehigh on May 3.
Loyola, which has beaten Navy and Lehigh, would receive a bye as the top seed and host the Navy-Lehigh winner in the semifinals on May 6.

Inside Lacrosse, citing its own sources, also reported the news Tuesday afternoon.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:03 pm I like this Navy team and would like to learn more about the players on the squad. However, I need to have a roster handy to follow any of the posts in this thread.

"#35 played great. #21 needs to play more. Coach #1 (Amplo) needs to put #14 at x to QB the offense." :lol:
https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/roster/2021

click on each player for their bio
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:55 pm
#27 and #36 are lefties, so there is some depth there, you could also float #29 into that spot which keeps him on the field, There are options.

#17 raised the bar on riding, can he TAD on the yard for an additional year, since he would have an extra year of eligibility? :lol:
thx #54 RH or LH ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:14 pm

thx #54 RH or LH ?
Both :D But naturally RH.
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:19 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:14 pm

thx #54 RH or LH ?
Both :D But naturally RH.
:lol: #21 looks both too. Switches seamlessly, depending on which side of the net he's on or which way he's running. I guessed LH because he rides lefty. Apparently #21 played MF in HS, so it's not a big change to get him on field that way.
• Three-time (2016-17-18) First-Team All-State (Va.) midfielder and garnered All-American honors his senior year
#54's bio says he was a 4 year standout attackman in HS, so 3 years of which they would have been teammates.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

N*
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Way to go Navy. A complete and thorough 9-4 victory over Army today. Special kudos to Spencer Rees and Joe DeLyra.
Happy Senior Day. 👍🇺🇸
GO NAVY! Win the PLT!
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Nothing else to say
old salt

Post by old salt »

Joe deLyra, suffocating defense lead Navy to upset of No. 10 Army in rivalry showdown
By BILL WAGNER, CAPITAL GAZETTE, APR 24, 2021 AT 5:50 PM

Joe deLyra fired a cannon of a sidearm crank shot past the ear of Army goalie Wyatt Schupler and into the top corner of the cage. Navy’s senior midfielder then flexed his muscles and stomped around the field in celebration before being mobbed by teammates.
deLyra deserved to respond with such a display of bravado because he was the absolute boss during Saturday’s showdown between service academy archrivals.
deLyra notched his first career hat trick to spark a sharp offensive effort, while senior captain Nick Franchuk spearheaded an overpowering defensive performance as Navy upset 10th-ranked Army in decisive fashion, 9-4.

Midfielders James Flannery and Max Hewitt scored two goals apiece as the Midshipmen made second-year coach Joe Amplo a winner in his first Army-Navy game.
Navy also locked up the third seed in the Patriot League’s South Division thanks to Lafayette’s loss to Loyola on Saturday. Navy will play at Loyola in the quarterfinals of the Patriot League Tournament.
“What a privilege to be able to coach in this game. The emotion, the pageantry — just all that goes into it. … What an honor for me and my staff to be part of it,” Amplo said. “I’m really proud of our young men for playing 60 minutes. I thought we played our best game from start to finish.”

Franchuk shut out high-scoring attackman Brendan Nichtern, while senior goalie Spencer Rees was sensational with a career-high 19 saves as the Midshipmen held the Black Knights to their lowest point total of the season.

Nichtern, a two-time All-American, had amassed 43 points through eight games but had trouble finding open space thanks to the suffocating attention of Franchuk. Senior Andre McKenna and freshman Jackson Bonitz completed the impressive performance by the close defense, which got great support from long-stick midfielder Jeff Durden.

Army unleashed 41 shots and only put four of them past Rees, who made 11 straight saves without allowing a goal at one point. The first-year starter shut down a Black Knights offense that came into the contest averaging almost 13 goals per game.

Navy’s short-stick defensive midfield crew, led by seniors Tim Griffin and Colin Meehan, drew special praise from Army coach Joe Alberici. Amplo credited defensive coordinator Jon Orsen with crafting a solid plan and getting the players to execute it.
“Jon Orsen came up with a brilliant plan then drilled it all week long. He came up with five or six different drills to mimic what they were going to do on offense,” Amplo said. “Our kids had it memorized, they had it down like the back of their hand. It made the game easy for them. That was the goal for the coaching staff, to try to simplify the game plan.”

Rees, a Boys’ Latin graduate playing in his first Army-Navy game, agreed with that assessment and gave a shout out to the scout team offense for giving the defense a great look in practice.
“It comes down to the work we put in during the week. When it came time to play the game today, everyone executed their roles and did what they were supposed to do. It’s a credit to the defense for putting them in the spots we wanted,” Rees said.

Amplo, who describes himself as a fiery and emotional Italian, was stalking around the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium locker room before the game. deLyra saw how nervous the coach was and told him to “calm down.”
“You know what Joe? How about you score a goal and calm me down?” Amplo responded.
That’s exactly what deLyra did, putting Navy on the scoreboard first by finishing a nice feed from attackman Nick Cole (two assists) at the 7:14 mark of the first quarter.
“When Joe scored that first goal I thought to myself: I can calm down now. I was just really happy and proud for him,” Amplo said.
“Joe D is a storybook, he really is. He’s been on the scout team for most of the year and two weeks ago we started to see something in him,” Amplo added. “Credit to [offensive coordinator] Brad Ross for trusting in him and giving him an opportunity.”

Emotions and nerves ruled the first half, which was sloppy at times and featured a lot more turnovers (13 by Army, 8 by Navy) than goals.
Hewitt netted his first goal by driving hard from behind the net then turning the corner and bouncing a short shot past Schupler. Freshman Dane Swanson followed with a wicked crank shot into the top corner and the Mids took a 3-1 lead into halftime.
It was back and forth during the third quarter and Army entered the final frame trailing 6-3 following an unassisted tally by midfielder Nicholas Edinger.
Neither team scored for almost 10 minutes in the fourth quarter with the Rees save streak thwarting the Black Knights and the Midshipmen only getting off three shots. That is when deLyra scored his third goal to give Navy a 7-3 lead with 5:10 remaining.
“That one felt good. It felt like it was kind of the dagger and we would be able to put them away,” deLyra said. “We did a great job of using the whole shot clock and wearing down the defense. Things opened up and I was able to get off a good shot.”

Hewitt scored 31 seconds later off a powerful overhand crank shot and Flannery added an insurance goal by sticking the corner off an unsettled situation. A large contingent of midshipmen were part of the crowd of 5,285 at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium and they started singing “hey, hey, hey goodbye” with the home team ahead 9-3 with 1:47 remaining.
“Seeing everyone perform so well out there was one of the best experiences of my life,” said Rees, who joined older brothers Matt and Casey in helping Navy men’s lacrosse beat Army.

Amplo simply shook his head when asked how it felt to win his first game against archrival Army. He met with former Navy coach Richie Meade Saturday morning in Annapolis and still was not prepared for the power of the moment.
“It’s hard to describe. I spent an hour having coffee with Richie Meade this morning and he told me what it feels like, but you can’t really put it into words until you’re in it,” Amplo said. “There’s an eeriness about being on the sideline because there’s this levitating intensity across the field. I wasn’t coaching lacrosse today; I was coaching calmness.”

Junior midfielder Danny Kielbasa had a goal and an assist to lead Army, which had beaten Syracuse when it was ranked fourth nationally. Schupler finished with 10 saves.
“Ton of credit to the whole Navy program. They did a heck of a job today. They were the better team today and deserved to win,” Alberici said.
Alberici could not say enough about the Navy defense, which slid quickly to Nichtern to get the ball out of his stick. The Midshipmen put two long poles on midfielders and covered an attackman with a short stick.
“I thought they were exceptional on the defensive end in particular. I think five of their first six are seniors and they played like it was their last Star game,” Alberici added.

When it was over, the Midshipmen were able to sing second during the playing of the respective alma maters. deLyra readily acknowledged there is no better feeling.
“It means everything. You could see how excited we were to run over there and stand in front of our fans, our parents and loved ones and sing second,” he said.

Army (6-3, 4-2) 0-1-2-1=4
Navy (5-2, 3-2) 1-2-3-3=9
GOALS: A – Byrnes 2, Kielbasa, Edinger. N – deLyra 3, Hewitt 2, Flannery 2, Jon Jarosz, Swanson. ASSISTS: A – Abshire, Kielbasa. N – Cole 2, Daniel, Jon Jarosz, Skalniak. SHOTS: A – 41. N – 39. SAVES: A – Schupler 10. N – Rees 19. GROUND BALLS: A – 27. N – 38. FACEOFFS: A – 7. N – 10.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Navy men’s lacrosse senior class persevered through coaching change, coronavirus
By BILL WAGNER, CAPITAL GAZETTE, APR 23, 2021 AT 4:58 PM

What a long, strange trip it’s been.
That famous line from the Grateful Dead song Truckin’ applies to the Navy men’s lacrosse senior class, which has persevered through a coaching change and the coronavirus to cross the finish line.

These Class of 2021 Navy men’s lacrosse players were recruited by the previous staff led by former head coach Rick Sowell. Ten of the 15 attended the Naval Academy Prep School for an academic year before arriving in Annapolis.
Defenseman Nick Franchuk remembers getting on the prep school campus in Newport, Rhode Island and having an immediate support system.
“You show up to NAPS and those are instantly your first friends. I remember right after indoctrination we already had a group text going and were down on the lacrosse field throwing the ball around,” said Franchuk, who hails from Southport, Connecticut.
Franchuk and fellow co-captain Christian Daniel were part of a talented recruiting class that was sent to the prep school. They were joined at the Naval Academy by Jacksonville transfer Michael Foster and direct-entry recruits Joe dyLyra, John Salcedo, Andrew McKenna and Joe Byrne. During plebe summer, they talked about taking Navy lacrosse to the next level.
“We kind of knew early on at NAPS that we had a special class — just a lot of skill and also the tight bond that is so important,” Franchuk said. “That bond just got stronger and stronger to the point we all have a really, really close connection. We’ve celebrated the good times together and picked each other up whenever we’ve been down.”

As freshmen, the Class of 2021 members were part of a Navy team that finished as Patriot League regular season co-champions with a 7-1 record. As sophomores, they watched the Midshipmen backslide a bit by finishing 6-7 and missing the Patriot League Tournament.
That 2019 season was low-lighted by a 9-8 overtime loss to Army in the 100th game of the storied series. Less than one week after the season finale, Sowell was fired after compiling a 54-56 record in eight seasons.

On June 5, 2019, Gladchuk hired Amplo as the eighth head coach in the 114-year history of Navy men’s lacrosse. Amplo, who previously spent eight years as head coach at Marquette, credits the current seniors with making the transition easy for the new staff.
“When we came aboard, those juniors rolled up their sleeves along with the coaches, determined to make a difference. They dove into helping us understand what this institution is all about,” Amplo said.
“I feel like this class in particular really embraced the coaching staff from day one and listened to how we wanted this program to be run. They understood the standards we were trying to put in place, but also gave really strong, deliberate suggestions that were impactful.”

Daniel said it was easy to buy into what the new coaching staff was preaching because it was obvious from the outset that Amplo along with assistants John Orsen and Brad Ross had the players’ interests at heart.
“They didn’t recruit any of us, but they really cared about us from the get-go,” Daniel said. “When our class realized how much they cared about and loved us, it was super-easy to do whatever needed to help get this program going in the right direction.”

Amplo’s first season would be cut short by the emerging coronavirus pandemic. Navy played just five games before the Patriot League announced it was canceling spring sports for the remainder of the semester.
However, both Amplo and the players thought significant progress was made toward establishing a foundation for the future of Navy men’s lacrosse. They appreciated that he asked the players to take an active role in making that happen.
“Coach Amplo always talks about the culture being player driven. The coaches can help create it, but the players need to own it,” Franchuk said. “Coming into this season, we had the culture built. Everything was set and it was just a matter of inaugurating the plebes at that point.

There was hope this lacrosse season would mark a return to normalcy, but COVID had other ideas. Navy paused all athletic activities for a month after a surge in positive cases among the Brigade of Midshipmen.
Navy lacrosse had one game canceled and a couple others postponed with the toughest aspect of the shutdown being an inability to practice for three weeks.
“We’ve just kept moving forward with everything and kept our eyes on what we wanted to accomplish,” Franchuk said. “Everyone stayed the course through all the COVID stuff. It really didn’t set us back.”

Amplo can cite myriad examples of how the senior class has led by example, especially as the season winds down.

Reserve defenseman Jacob Mandish, whose playing time is limited to man-down defense, put maximum effort into mimicking Loyola Maryland defenseman Cam Myers to prepare fellow Severn School graduate Jon Jarosz for that game.

While leaving his office on the third deck of Ricketts Hall late Tuesday evening prior to the rematch with Loyola, Amplo had a revelation.
“I said to myself: ‘If there is one guy on the practice field working, we’re going to win on Saturday.’ Sure enough, I drive past Rip Miller Field and Michael Foster was out there shooting,” he said.
Foster helped make that prediction come true, finishing a hard overhand shot to give Navy a commanding six-goal lead early in the third period.
“After Michael scored that goal, I got chills. When he came off the field, I gave him the biggest embrace because I was so genuinely happy for him,” Amplo said.
Attackman Tyler Perreten, a Severn School product, went from being a starter as a junior to primarily playing extra man offense as a senior without complaint.
Navy held on to beat Loyola, 14-12, for only the second time in the last 11 meetings between the schools. Later that night, senior attackman Tyler Perreten texted Amplo with a request. “Coach, I want to wear No. 20 for the scout team this week.”
The Severn School graduate was asking to help prepare the Navy defense for Army by mimicking standout attackman Brendan Nichtern, the archrival’s leading scoring with 43 points.
“Tyler Perreten cares about this program so much he will do whatever is necessary,” said Amplo, who declined the request since Perreten plays a prominent role on extra man offense.

That description could apply to all 15 members of the senior class. Midfielder Logan Spilker (Severna Park High), attackman Joe Byrne (son of former Navy football quarterback now Rear Admiral Bill Byrne), defensive midfielder John Salcedo and defenseman Donovan Murphy all serve on the scout team.
Senior Joe deLyra accepted a reduced role after seeing significant action as a sophomore and junior. The Chaminade High product forced his way into the offensive midfield rotation by simply outworking the competition.
“Joe D was our best practice player for about a month and is now getting into the rotation,” said Amplo, noting the Long Island native usually gets only four or five shifts per game.
“Joe’s going to score a big goal in these next few games, and when he does the bench is going to go crazy. He’s just a winner and a grinder.”

Last week, Amplo told the seniors they were only guaranteed 12 more practices during their careers.
“You want your seniors to play like seniors and I think we’re seeing that. They have that sense of urgency, that extra drive, that willingness to empty the tank,” Amplo said.
It’s been a productive class, especially on the defensive end where almost every starter is a senior. Franchuk and Andrew McKenna form two-thirds of the close defense, while Jeff Durden is a third-year starter at long stick midfield. Tim Griffin and Colin Meehan are the top short stick defensive midfielders, while Spencer Rees is the goalkeeper.

Daniel has started 36 of the 37 games the Midshipmen have played over the past four years and amassed 109 career points (70 goals, 39 assists). He is one of 36 players in Navy lacrosse history to surpass the century mark.
Amplo called Daniel a “warrior” and expressed sincere admiration for the way he laid it all on the line during the last 10 minutes of a 13-7 loss at Lehigh. “Christian played like a man possessed, just so much heart and soul. I haven’t seen a performance that gutsy in my coaching career,” he said.

Foster started 11 games in midfield as a sophomore then did not play last season due to an injury. The northern Virginia native has scored three goals in six games this season.

However, Daniel has complete appreciation for those seniors that do not see significant action on game day but work just as hard as the starters. “Just the mindset all those guys bring to practice every day to lead the younger guys and continue to foster that culture is incredible,” he said.

Franchuk, who has played in 31 games with 19 starts, was a unanimous selection by a vote of teammates to wear No. 40 in honor of former Navy lacrosse player Brendan Looney, who died in combat.
“Nick Franchuk is one of the hardest working, toughest, most humble human beings I’ve ever been around. He was an ideal person to bestow that honor on,” Amplo said. “From what I’ve learned about Brendan and his legacy and impact, Nick is everything that Brendan stood for, without question.”
Franchuk was honored to be chosen team captain and to continue the legacy of Brendan Looney.
“It’s definitely a privilege and an opportunity I’m super grateful for, but it comes with the responsibility of earning that title every day,” he said. “My goal is to do my best to honor Brendan and live up to the values he thought were important.”

Daniel, an Owings resident who played at Northern-Calvert, cannot believe Senior Day is here already. It seems like just yesterday he was watching Jack Ray, his attack running mate in 2018, walk onto the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium field flanked by his parents.
“It’s crazy. I remember Jack Ray telling me it goes by really fast, and now I’m telling freshmen the same thing,” Daniel said. “What I’ll cherish the most are all the relationships and the small little memories. All the shared moments on the field or in the locker room are special.”
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Are any other Navy supporters besides me believing even more in Coach Amplo these days?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:09 pm Are any other Navy supporters besides me believing even more in Coach Amplo these days?
He’s done well and has probably read that unused copy of Reef Points that he found in his new desk.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

What a gem of a game. Congrats to the Navy team and coaching staff. Too many people to single them all out, but just an amazing career-defining day in goal by Spencer Rees.

One sequence stood out to me -- I watched the recording multiple times. With 10 minutes in the game, Army hit the pipe. LiCalzi made a great ground ball pickup and got it to Rees, who had to leap to snag the pass. Rees outletted to McKenna in the middle who was hit by a Mack truck and kept possession but then lost the handle as he went over the 50. Then the bodies hit the ground. McKenna stretched out to make a check to keep Army from getting solid possession; then deLyra (Joey Hat Trick) came flying in from the sub box, dived into a scrum and hit the ball forward 10 yards, then Daniel made a diving check to keep Army from getting initial possession and when the Army player picked it up near the sideline Daniel popped up and checked it out of bounds. Navy ball. Sideline going crazy. A 22 second sequence that showed every bit of the reservoirs of heart, desire, fight, and smarts that gave Navy the win over . . . who'd they beat again? :lol:
old salt

Post by old salt »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:40 am What a gem of a game. Congrats to the Navy team and coaching staff. Too many people to single them all out, but just an amazing career-defining day in goal by Spencer Rees.

One sequence stood out to me -- I watched the recording multiple times. With 10 minutes in the game, Army hit the pipe. LiCalzi made a great ground ball pickup and got it to Rees, who had to leap to snag the pass. Rees outletted to McKenna in the middle who was hit by a Mack truck and kept possession but then lost the handle as he went over the 50. Then the bodies hit the ground. McKenna stretched out to make a check to keep Army from getting solid possession; then deLyra (Joey Hat Trick) came flying in from the sub box, dived into a scrum and hit the ball forward 10 yards, then Daniel made a diving check to keep Army from getting initial possession and when the Army player picked it up near the sideline Daniel popped up and checked it out of bounds. Navy ball. Sideline going crazy. A 22 second sequence that showed every bit of the reservoirs of heart, desire, fight, and smarts that gave Navy the win over . . . who'd they beat again? :lol:
That sequence stuck in my mind too. #66 was a man possessed. ...correction, they all were.

Levitating Intensity- Firsties & Amplo lead Navy to star game win over Army

Attendance for @navymlax hosting @ArmyWP_MLax is 5,285.

Gotta believe that’s the biggest crowd to see a college lacrosse game so far this year, right?

Without the pandemic, the entire Brigade would be in attendance & local class reunion tailgates would fill the parking lot, just like football games, likely upping attendance to 8-9k. One thing is back to normal = Army at Navy is the best attended regular season lax game. If we could get JHU & MD back on Navy's Apr Sat schedule, we'd have another gate like this every year. The Big 10 & PL should work it into their master sched. Give JHU, MD, Loyola & Navy each, 2 home & home PL/BTN crossover Apr weekend games every year for all 4 teams. The local attendance & tv would blow away the same old conf matchups which take local rivalries & so much tradition out of the sport. Loyola, Navy & Army could play each other on the other 2 Apr weekends. The tv ratings & game attendance would justify it. ...yesterday, 250 attendance at Homewood for that rivalry game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”