2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: 2020 Elections - Led to Historic Impeachment #2

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:11 am To be clear, I wasn't directing any of that at you, TLD, it's the media's seeming agenda here that is annoying me.
This is similar to headlines you would read during the Vietnam era and shortly thereafter.
Vietnam vet robs bank, Vietnam vet arrested for domestic violence, Vietnam vet gets DWI, Vietnam vet pizzed in the park.
They were real quick to point that Vietnam vet part out but no so much what the other 1,400 people arrested for the same thing were. Same thing going on here.
No problem. I chalk it up to guys liking to shoot guns and drill. Going inside the Capitol was a bad choice. Media is always going to try to grab eyeballs. Many things are “over represented” in the media.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:03 am It’s more about the person’s mentality versus something wrong with the military. My guess is that law enforcement and military experience in militias is higher than that represented in the general population...you think its likely to be less? A person drawn to the military, for whatever reason, seems likely to be drawn to a militia culture.....(not all but some). Anyway, enjoyed watching the Bills run. I like that team and liked their fight at the end. They will be back.
Your first sentence hits the nail dead nuts on the head, their military experience has little to do with their storming the Capitol Bldg, it's their fanaticism.
As for your ex military and militias question, I don't know. Will say this though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are a whole lot of wannabe military people who have all kinds of reasons why they didn't actually enlist, then put on their tough guy persona as the guardians of our freedoms who make up a pretty big part of those militias.
Yes sir, nice run by the Bills!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:34 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:03 am It’s more about the person’s mentality versus something wrong with the military. My guess is that law enforcement and military experience in militias is higher than that represented in the general population...you think its likely to be less? A person drawn to the military, for whatever reason, seems likely to be drawn to a militia culture.....(not all but some). Anyway, enjoyed watching the Bills run. I like that team and liked their fight at the end. They will be back.
Your first sentence hits the nail dead nuts on the head, their military experience has little to do with their storming the Capitol Bldg, it's their fanaticism.
As for your ex military and militias question, I don't know. Will say this though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are a whole lot of wannabe military people who have have all kinds of reasons why they didn't actually enlist, then put on their tough guy persona as the guardians of our freedoms who make up a pretty big part of those militias.
DMac, your comments about Vietnam vets is poignant.

I quite agree that the fanaticism is the driver, not the military background...HOWEVER...part of their fanaticism includes military-styled tactical gear and communications. They DO train as militias, they are rapidly 2nd Amendment, and they often see themselves as anti-government. This is certainly a dangerous combination, with or without actual military training.

The issue that's being discussed here to some's consternation is: why is it that, of the fanatics arrested to date, a disproportionate share of such have military backgrounds. I've posed my hypothesis, I haven't yet heard an alternative (other than the 'breeding ground sort, which I reject as unlikely).
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:54 am
As for your ex military and militias question, I don't know. Will say this though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are a whole lot of wannabe military people who have have all kinds of reasons why they didn't actually enlist, then put on their tough guy persona as the guardians of our freedoms who make up a pretty big part of those militias.

I quite agree that the fanaticism is the driver, Absolutely. not the military background Nope, has little to nothing to do with it....HOWEVER...part of their fanaticism includes military-styled tactical gear and communications. Which can be purchased and used by any fanatic across the country, ex military or not. They DO train as militias,I don't know anything much about militias and their training, but based on the percent arrested for storming the Capitol Bldg being vets, I'd have to conclude there are a whole lot more non vets doing that militia training than vets.....but the vets will get the headlines. they are rapidly 2nd Amendment, and they often see themselves as anti-government. This is certainly a dangerous combination, with or without actual military training. Military training is far too vague. I think your insinuation is that because they were in the military they were combat trained and that's not the case more often than not. Tons of people enlist in the military because they haven't figured out what they want to do with their lives yet and are hoping to pick up a trade, save a few bucks, see the world, and maybe go to college on the GI Bill when they get out. The vast majority (with a capital V) are the same when they come out as they were before they went in...including the fanatics.

The issue that's being discussed here to some's consternation is: why is it that, of the fanatics arrested to date, a disproportionate share of such have military backgrounds. Get back to me when the history of the rest of them is reported and we'll see how disproportionate that number is. The media is focusing on the vets, it's their agenda and you're buying it. I've posed my hypothesis, Can't remember what it is, give me a reminder and I'll give you my thoughts. I haven't yet heard an alternative (other than the 'breeding ground sort, which I reject as unlikely).
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:10 am
This really is horseschidt to pick out the vets from this crowd of however many there are. I've got a question for the crack reporter, Sara, w-t-f is a former veteran? A veteran is a veteran is a veteran, no? I'll guarantee you the Navy vet was never issued any combat gear and never had one second's training in any kind of combat tactics. Could it be the guy's military experience has absolutely nothing to do with his actions on this day and that he's just a fanatic but you're hell bent on picking the veterans (or is that former veterans?) out of the crowd? The guy's sixty-five years old fer chrissakes and probably rode around on a ship for a couple of years nearly fifty ago, but that kind of training heavily influenced his actions on this day. What horseschidt.
+1
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Portman (R-OH) just bailed on running for re-election in 2022. Wanna bet he will be a vote for conviction?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:37 am

I quite agree that the fanaticism is the driver, Absolutely. not the military background Nope, has little to nothing to do with it....HOWEVER...part of their fanaticism includes military-styled tactical gear and communications. Which can be purchased and used by any fanatic across the country, ex military or not. They DO train as militias,I don't know anything much about militias and their training, but based on the percent arrested for storming the Capitol Bldg being vets, I'd have to conclude there are a whole lot more non vets doing that militia training than vets.....but the vets will get the headlines. they are rapidly 2nd Amendment, and they often see themselves as anti-government. This is certainly a dangerous combination, with or without actual military training. Military training is far too vague. I think your insinuation is that because they were in the military they were combat trained and that's not the case more often than not. Tons of people enlist in the military because they haven't figured out what they want to do with their lives yet and are hoping to pick up a trade, save a few bucks, see the world, and maybe go to college on the GI Bill when they get out. The vast majority (with a capital V) are the same when they come out as they were before they went in...including the fanatics.

The issue that's being discussed here to some's consternation is: why is it that, of the fanatics arrested to date, a disproportionate share of such have military backgrounds. Get back to me when the history of the rest of them is reported and we'll see how disproportionate that number is. The media is focusing on the vets, it's their agenda and you're buying it. I've posed my hypothesis, Can't remember what it is, give me a reminder and I'll give you my thoughts. I haven't yet heard an alternative (other than the 'breeding ground sort, which I reject as unlikely).
We're pretty much in agreement, then, I'm just not as defensive on behalf of the vast majority of military veterans who have their heads screwed on straight, thank you very much, as you are. But I do agree. Wholeheartedly.

My own hypothesis is that the reason why more of the ex-military folks are showing up in the initial waves of arrests, proportionate to the overall population, is that the FBI (I'm not talking about the media) is focused on the vanguard group breaching the Capitol, which has been described by a journalist on the spot as being organized, paramilitary style group(s), coordinating and geared up in tactical gear. Mixed in with that vanguard were "eccentrics" who were more performative and thus recognizable. So, they, too are in the early arrests. My hypothesis is that the FBI is most concerned, however, with grabbing up those considered the highest risk for future actions, and evidence of organization and military training (whether US military or just militia in the backwoods) would be considered most risky. So, too, the networks of the most rapid white supremacist, white nationalists, and other anti-pluralistic, anti-government types...so, who is communicating with whom?

Now, this hypothesis does presuppose that the militias and such groups have a disproportionate share of ex-US military as well...I take your point to heart that it's nevertheless the fanatics, including those who may never had any sort of actual combat training or experience, just wannabes...but wannabe is dangerous too. We do know (from the FBI) that these various groups do target disaffected veterans for recruitment, so it's not really a surprise if this supposition would be accurate.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:03 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:14 am
DMac wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:10 am
This really is horseschidt to pick out the vets from this crowd of however many there are. I've got a question for the crack reporter, Sara, w-t-f is a former veteran? A veteran is a veteran is a veteran, no? I'll guarantee you the Navy vet was never issued any combat gear and never had one second's training in any kind of combat tactics. Could it be the guy's military experience has absolutely nothing to do with his actions on this day and that he's just a fanatic but you're hell bent on picking the veterans (or is that former veterans?) out of the crowd? The guy's sixty-five years old fer chrissakes and probably rode around on a ship for a couple of years nearly fifty ago, but that kind of training heavily influenced his actions on this day. What horseschidt.
As an old dog faced grunt I did not notice anybody getting in line and use fire and manuver up the capital steps. Not a single hand grenade was used. For a bunch of veterans their tactics really sucked. :D
It’s more about the person’s mentality versus something wrong with the military. My guess is that law enforcement and military experience in militias is higher than that represented in the general population...you think its likely to be less? A person drawn to the military, for whatever reason, seems likely to be drawn to a militia culture.....(not all but some). Anyway, enjoyed watching the Bills run. I like that team and liked their fight at the end. They will be back.
When I left the army any delusions of grandeur were long gone. I just wanted to be a PFC again. Proud.. Freaking.. Civilian. If some of these folks that were former military are trying to live out some fantasy about being GI Joe, that makes me wonder what their MOS was. I will always be proud of the guys I served with and the stuff we all dealt with together. I just never was the type of former soldier to wave the flag on our capital steps while trying to break down the front door. What a effing bunch of dirtbags they are.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:26 am

We're pretty much in agreement, then, I'm just not as defensive on behalf of the vast majority of military veterans who have their heads screwed on straight, thank you very much, as you are. But I do agree. Wholeheartedly.

My own hypothesis is that the reason why more of the ex-military folks are showing up in the initial waves of arrests, proportionate to the overall population, is that the FBI (I'm not talking about the media) is focused on the vanguard group breaching the Capitol, which has been described by a journalist on the spot as being organized, paramilitary style group(s), coordinating and geared up in tactical gear. Mixed in with that vanguard were "eccentrics" who were more performative and thus recognizable. So, they, too are in the early arrests. My hypothesis is that the FBI is most concerned, however, with grabbing up those considered the highest risk for future actions, and evidence of organization and military training (whether US military or just militia in the backwoods) would be considered most risky. So, too, the networks of the most rapid white supremacist, white nationalists, and other anti-pluralistic, anti-government types...so, who is communicating with whom?

Now, this hypothesis does presuppose that the militias and such groups have a disproportionate share of ex-US military as well...I take your point to heart that it's nevertheless the fanatics, including those who may never had any sort of actual combat training or experience, just wannabes...but wannabe is dangerous too. We do know (from the FBI) that these various groups do target disaffected veterans for recruitment, so it's not really a surprise if this supposition would be accurate.
Organized my ass. We trained over and over and over for every bit of live fire and CALFEX we participated in. I saw no organization and our country should be damn lucky this was a cluster fudge of former military idiots. The give a way is they never had an organized plan short of breeching the building and running around like idiots posing for selfies
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 am

Organized my ass. We trained over and over and over for every bit of live fire and CALFEX we participated in. I saw no organization and our country should be damn lucky this was a cluster fudge of former military idiots. The give a way is they never had an organized plan short of breeching the building and running around like idiots posing for selfies
Why would you think you know this definitively? The reporter on the ground, in their midst and interviewing a long the way says the vanguard was quite organized, coordinating, and paramilitary in tactics...with adaptation of other insurgencies' tactics of using as weapons the available objects and using the mob as 'cover'. We also have quite a lot of reporting of active searching for various key figures in the building, the VP, the Speaker and others...for assassination...the overall objective to seize control of the building, with hostages...and demanding a suspension of the Senate's certification, ultimately Trump maintaining power. They thought the mission was righteous and desired by Trump. And the mob was a willing participant.

Yes, let's indeed be glad they were not even better organized, better armed. But they were mere moments and steps away from success at taking hostages.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/25/politics ... index.html

Rudy is going to need a lawyer. Maybe Dershowitz is available?
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:48 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 am

Why would you think you know this definitively? The reporter on the ground, in their midst and interviewing a long the way says the vanguard was quite organized, coordinating, and paramilitary in tactics...with adaptation of other insurgencies' tactics of using as weapons the available objects and using the mob as 'cover'. We also have quite a lot of reporting of active searching for various key figures in the building, the VP, the Speaker and others...for assassination...the overall objective to seize control of the building, with hostages...and demanding a suspension of the Senate's certification, ultimately Trump maintaining power. They thought the mission was righteous and desired by Trump. And the mob was a willing participant.

Yes, let's indeed be glad they were not even better organized, better armed. But they were mere moments and steps away from success at taking hostages.
Very simple my friend. If they only a couple hundred of organized and dedicated people the objective would have been to overtake the capital and occupy for whatever length of time they wanted. Given enough time, preparation and material they could have blown it up or burned it down. If it was an organized assault there would have been an objective. I saw an uncontrolled bunch of rabble acting like idiots. They may have had some people pretending to lead things. You should thank your lucky stars this was not an actual assault with dedicated objective. You know what type of an assault force it would have taken to clear out the capital had the objective been to occupy it? The result of such an inevitable assault would have been catastrophic in nature.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Well, sure it would have been catastrophic...and, yes, this wasn't Seal Team 6 !!

But you are ignoring that among the mob, indeed at the vanguard of the mob, there were, reportedly, multiple groups in paramilitary gear, organized together, and communicating with one another...some with earpieces. Very violent, hand to hand with the mass #'s their advantage. And when they successfully breached the building they continued forward in an organized fashion (yes, with lots of performative eccentrics at their side, the mob pressing forward behind them...which is most of what you "saw") and breached each ensuing barrier in order to get to the actual Senators and Congress people, and VP...their objective was hostages, with some calling for assassinations, yes, but hostages was the tactical advantage they were seeking and the only way they could hope to defend their position once taken. They very nearly succeeded.

Likewise, it is very likely that the two pipe bombs were intended to distract the Capitol police, bleeding their attention and resources to those other buildings rather than massing to stop the breach point of attack.

And yes, thank goodness this wasn't an elite fighting force that smuggled in heavy arms...and used them.

BTW, no argument here as to "idiots"...but organized, violent idiots.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:54 am https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/25/politics ... index.html

Rudy is going to need a lawyer. Maybe Dershowitz is available?
It’s probably hoping for too much, but maybe Rudy’s case can get consolidated with Sid’s and the trial can be broadcast on TV. Would love to watch either one of them get cross examined.
Typical Lax Dad

Another Winner

Seems like upstate New Yorkers have been particularly enthusiastic!
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Better put those geophysicists on the highly suspect list too, they're probably likely to display volcanic and earthquake like behavior given their training and all. ;)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

As for your ex military and militias question, I don't know. Will say this though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are a whole lot of wannabe military people who have all kinds of reasons why they didn't actually enlist, then put on their tough guy persona as the guardians of our freedoms who make up a pretty big part of those militias.
+1 As every Bills fan says wait until next season.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:24 pm Another Winner

It must have been the time he spent in Colorado where he was radicalized. ;)
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:01 pm

Or when he moved! Just thought it was funny..... Multiple Ohioans arrested also.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:04 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:01 pm

Or when he moved! Just thought it was funny..... Multiple Ohioans arrested also.
I have asked myself this question... what were they trying to prove?
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”