THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
runrussellrun

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by runrussellrun »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:44 pm It is definitely the bands fault, it makes the players angry listening to that old timer music and not want to score. ;)
Much rather here the Hopkins song than Marylands. What with the doot, do da do da doo da da do da do song the Terps play when a goal is scored. Whose idea was that?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:47 pm
So looking back over the stats and just looking at the defensive side of the ball. Can anyone point to a specific reason why there was a dramatic jump in GAA from 2013 to 2014 and then another in 2015 such that Hopkins has now average GAA in double digits?
GAA

One other point I'd like to address. Why has Hopkins, or most teams for that matter, gotten away from face-off men that can play. Hopkins was at its more dominate when it had guys like Harrison and the Peysers brothers taking face-offs. That is one change I'd like to see. Elimination of FOGOs. You can only sub your FOGO upon losing of possession and only your long stick can come off if you win the face-off.
From this comment , summize you don't coach the game, at any level. It's the sticks, NOT the player. While the "topper", "down the line" or "rake" are still used by studs like Baptiste, most do the gumbi damnit pinchNpop move, where the head gets bent and twisted into all kinds of fun shapes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:09 pm I guess where I come down on Daniels is that I have heard zero anecdotal stories of big time recruits not getting in to the school. The only anecdote I am familiar with recently is the Cornell fans being mildly bitter that Radzewicz couldn't get into Cornell but got into Hopkins. I actually think it is quite remarkable that all these lists compiled of Hopkins verbals when they are still being driven to practice by mom? Most of them end up coming to the school and those that don't appear not to be academic casualties.
This is the crucial point. The early recruits we've lost recently have switched to Duke (Robertson), Virginia (Shellenberger) Yale (Neuman and Kuttin) and Notre Dame (Westlin). All comparable academic institutions.

Say what you want about the tightening of academic standards and the acceptance rate and what not but Petro has done a good job of getting his guys accepted into the school. And with one notable exception, which seems to now be a thing in the past, once on campus the guys do a pretty good job academically.
OCanada wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:02 pm Let me rephrase when it comes to knowing who the best player is for a situation I think you are trying to punch up. But convince me you know more than the coaching staff
The team is 4-4 and has 0 quality wins and is in grave danger of missing the NCAA tournament again, I don't think it's crazy to believe the coaches made a mistake by not playing Zinn more. They are humans who are capable of error. I say this as someone who has generally defended them the last few years when others were calling for their heads. Not everything they say and do is the best thing. I can't read their minds, I don't know why Zinn hasn't seen the field more but the notion that it's because he's a liability on defense does not hold up to any scrutiny whatsoever.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:45 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:09 pm I guess where I come down on Daniels is that I have heard zero anecdotal stories of big time recruits not getting in to the school. The only anecdote I am familiar with recently is the Cornell fans being mildly bitter that Radzewicz couldn't get into Cornell but got into Hopkins. I actually think it is quite remarkable that all these lists compiled of Hopkins verbals when they are still being driven to practice by mom? Most of them end up coming to the school and those that don't appear not to be academic casualties.
This is the crucial point. The early recruits we've lost recently have switched to Duke (Robertson), Virginia (Shellenberger) Yale (Neuman and Kuttin) and Notre Dame (Westlin). All comparable academic institutions.

Say what you want about the tightening of academic standards and the acceptance rate and what not but Petro has done a good job of getting his guys accepted into the school. And with one notable exception, which seems to now be a thing in the past, once on campus the guys do a pretty good job academically.
OCanada wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:02 pm Let me rephrase when it comes to knowing who the best player is for a situation I think you are trying to punch up. But convince me you know more than the coaching staff
The team is 4-4 and has 0 quality wins and is in grave danger of missing the NCAA tournament again, I don't think it's crazy to believe the coaches made a mistake by not playing Zinn more. They are humans who are capable of error. I say this as someone who has generally defended them the last few years when others were calling for their heads. Not everything they say and do is the best thing. I can't read their minds, I don't know why Zinn hasn't seen the field more but the notion that it's because he's a liability on defense does not hold up to any scrutiny whatsoever.
That is correct. If he were a liability on defense, he would not be taking up a wing spot on face-offs. Its a defensive position.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
molo

Post by molo »

Spoken like someone who actually understands the game.
a fan

Post by a fan »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:09 pm Hopkins has been wildly successful this past school year
Mens Basketball 18-9
Men's Soccer 13-5-2
Men's baseball - currently 14-5
Women's Hoops 23-5
Women's Field hockey 19-3
Women's Soccer 18-3
Women's Volleyball 22-8
Football 12-2
Women's lacrosse 10-2 (admittedly probably about to take some hits)

So only Men's water polo 9-18 and potentially a certain other team can be the only two teams in team sports with losing records
Well, respectfully, you're sort of leaving out a pretty important detail.

How do you think those squads would do if they had to compete in the Big Ten, like the lacrosse teams do?

Women's lacrosse is D1. How are they doing? Any Final Fours?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Believe it or not, women want to date attractive men. Along with all the other warts that Baltimore has to offer, the male population is fairly unattractive at Hopkins. They haven't learned to marry for money, instead of love. Yet. :D Tough sell for Tuckers recruits.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Troll
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:05 pm Troll
so
JJ_Lax

Post by JJ_Lax »

In case anyone is interested, Coach Pietramala was featured in a long and in-depth interview at Varsity Sports Network Lax Cast. First episode of Season 2.

https://varsitysportsnetwork.com/vsn-la ... DJBTy3m-Ak
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

JJ_Lax wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:19 pm In case anyone is interested, Coach Pietramala was featured in a long and in-depth interview at Varsity Sports Network Lax Cast. First episode of Season 2.

https://varsitysportsnetwork.com/vsn-la ... DJBTy3m-Ak
almost two hours? geez, know your audience .

pg ct.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:34 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:09 pm Hopkins has been wildly successful this past school year
Mens Basketball 18-9
Men's Soccer 13-5-2
Men's baseball - currently 14-5
Women's Hoops 23-5
Women's Field hockey 19-3
Women's Soccer 18-3
Women's Volleyball 22-8
Football 12-2
Women's lacrosse 10-2 (admittedly probably about to take some hits)

So only Men's water polo 9-18 and potentially a certain other team can be the only two teams in team sports with losing records
Well, respectfully, you're sort of leaving out a pretty important detail.

How do you think those squads would do if they had to compete in the Big Ten, like the lacrosse teams do?

Women's lacrosse is D1. How are they doing? Any Final Fours?
In men's basketball, I think Hopkins would lose every game in Big Ten competition.
I think even if you made up a team of the best intermural players at Maryland it would beat Hopkins' team.
Live Free or Die!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

That's not the point AT ALL. The point is most (especially the anti Daniels crowd) believe the increased academic standards have hurt the ability of the Hopkins teams to compete at the DIII level - not the DI. Of course Hopkins - all DIII teams actually - would lose all DI games in virtually any sport. Again the point is - Hopkins teams - including teams where you are not solely dependent on individuals such as the women's cross country behemoth - have had probably a school year of unprecedented overall success AT THEIR LEVEL - hence the big lead in the director's cup. I'm happy to take up the pitchfork and torch against Daniels but I need more evidence.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

It’s my understanding that the new admission standards will have a more noticeable effect over the next couple of years.

A lot of the success this year, especially in football, was due to seniors.

I kind of expected the drop off to be seen last fall, but the football team had a great surprising run. They did have an early ugly regular season loss that I had thought was the beginning of the end.

W
DMac

Post by DMac »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:56 pm Believe it or not, women want to date attractive men. Along with all the other warts that Baltimore has to offer, the male population is fairly unattractive at Hopkins. They haven't learned to marry for money, instead of love. Yet. :D Tough sell for Tuckers recruits.
cooter wrote
In men's basketball, I think Hopkins would lose every game in Big Ten competition.
I think even if you made up a team of the best intermural players at Maryland it would beat Hopkins' team.
Man, you boys are harsh.
:lol:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:16 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:05 pm Troll
so
Hey, you figured out that was aimed at you, so that means I can’t quite call you a moron.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:40 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:45 am Always stretch before practicing karm sutra activities. ;)

This is a good drill. Use it often. But use goalie warm up sponge balls instead of tennis balls. Weight closer to a real ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivm2d55bOY8

Issue I have with it is to much standing around. Split the team in half. More touches, more running. Every drill should attempt to incorporate hidden conditioning. The way this drill is run, it doesn't incorporate conditioning. too much down time.
Coach Pietramala (in the video link above): “I don’t know if we want to encourage takeaways because, unfortunately, then you’re encouraging risk.”

:shock: :o

That statement is one reason that most of the best athletic, takeaway defensemen go elsewhere. It’s why, despite a more aggressive defense from time to time, Hopkins still plays a relatively passive style. It’s one reason why Hopkins has been overly dependent on faceoffs to win the possession battle. It’s one reason the Blue Jays seem to freak out when opponents play aggressive defense or institute an aggressive ride (they just don’t see that in practice).

Isn’t “high risk, high reward” something that countless Hopkins lax alumni learn on Wall Street? Isn’t that why Petro became the greatest defenseman in history?

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

More accurately, arguably the best defenseman in history.
Been a couple other pretty good ones too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McCabe_(lacrosse)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:56 pm Believe it or not, women want to date attractive men.
Yeah, that’s why my wife married me, but how did my dating life come into this? :?:

I'm too sexy for my shirt
Too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurts

DocBarrister (In pain, baby!) 8-)
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

She read in braille?
8-)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”