D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Navy 2021

Post by 10stone5 »

laxxygilmore wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:42 am
Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:57 am
Turnandrake wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:17 am
AreaLax wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:50 pm From Capital Gazette:

The Naval Academy announced Sunday night it is pausing all athletic activities except for men’s basketball for 10 days as the academy will be under a restriction of movement due to increased COVID-19 mitigation measures.
So why was lacrosse team able to play Sunday ?
(A) Results did not come back until after game time
(B) Outbreak is within Brigade, not lax team specifically which is tested more often under NCAA guidance
(C) Contact tracing has effectively closed Bancroft Hall
(D) I don't know
(E) Does it really matter?
(F) It is a plot between the Rockefellers, Queen of England, Knights Templar and Bill Gates

Pick the one that suits your purposes. Sorry we are all not privy to the decision process/timing.
(G) Another reliable recommendation from Dr. F :?:

JUST,
a bit outside.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:52 am
laxxygilmore wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:42 am
Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:57 am
Turnandrake wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:17 am
AreaLax wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:50 pm From Capital Gazette:

The Naval Academy announced Sunday night it is pausing all athletic activities except for men’s basketball for 10 days as the academy will be under a restriction of movement due to increased COVID-19 mitigation measures.
So why was lacrosse team able to play Sunday ?
(A) Results did not come back until after game time
(B) Outbreak is within Brigade, not lax team specifically which is tested more often under NCAA guidance
(C) Contact tracing has effectively closed Bancroft Hall
(D) I don't know
(E) Does it really matter?
(F) It is a plot between the Rockefellers, Queen of England, Knights Templar and Bill Gates

Pick the one that suits your purposes. Sorry we are all not privy to the decision process/timing.
(G) Another reliable recommendation from Dr. F :?:

JUST,
a bit outside.
Yes...or he just couldn't decide between his "first pitch motion" vs. his "first base pick-off motion". Kinda like "masks vs. no masks". :shock: :D
Last edited by laxxygilmore on Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

So if all goes well, the Mids should emerge from lockdown on Thurs 3/11.
Their next sched game is 3/20, so Navy has a bye weekend 3/13 when the Penn game was sched.
Navy's original annual PL bye weekend is 5/1, as usual, with a tentative game vs UVA.

To prevent Navy & Bucknell from finishing 1 PL game short, I wonder if some PL sched shuffling could be done using those 2 Navy bye weekends & other teams PL bye weekends to get a Navy & Bucknell makeup date, or at least another PL replacement game, so that all PL teams finish with 7 PL contests.

If the Mids are restricted from practicing until 3/11, they might need the practice time the bye weekend affords.
The Mids are restricted to same day out & back bus trips.
You never know, there may be an emergent covid generated game opportunity around 3/13 with a nearby opponent whose conf allows ooc games.

Because of travel distances, the PL sched is unbalanced anyway with every team playing at least 1 opponent twice, some playing 2 opponents twice & no team playing all other PL opponents. Geography hurt Navy by making Loyola the Mids double dip opponent, although it will boost SoS & present 2 x QW opportunities in an Ivy less tourney selection year.
old salt

Post by old salt »

No practices.
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

As part of that order, Navy athletics announced a 10-day pause in all activities. That means no practices or competitions for a minimum of 10 days. Varsity teams were scheduled to participate in 22 events over the next 10 days and some, such as the Patriot League Championship meet for cross country, cannot be rescheduled.

“We are going to make every effort to make up as many games and competitions as possible,” Gladchuk said. “Hopefully, this is just a 10-day pause, and we won’t lose too much. Hopefully, we’ll see the numbers head in the right direction again, and we can get back on track.”

Navy began the 10-day pause in athletic activities on Sunday afternoon. If there is a decline in positive cases and the Naval Academy medical team is comfortable, athletic practices could resume next Tuesday or Wednesday.
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Great Team Effort on Sunday and then the Brigade received the unfortunate news.

The Brigade enters in ROM for a minimum of 10 days.

For the mens lacrosse team at the beginning of a abbreviated season it means
-Classes on-line
-No Access to Labs
-No access to the team training events
-No access to the weight room
-Styrofoam boxes of food three times a day
-No access to supplement nutrition
-No access to Team Trainers

For most of these MIDS, they don't attend the USNA for lacrosse (Yes it's a bonus). But let's remember- Why they attend.

HAVING BEEN APPOINTED A MIDSHIPMAN IN THE UNITED STATES NAVY, I SOLEMNLY SWEAR (OR AFFIRM) THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC; THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; THAT I TAKE THIS OBLIGATION FREELY, WITHOUT ANY MENTAL RESERVATION OR PURPOSE OF EVASION; AND THAT I WILL WELL AND FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THE DUTIES OF THE OFFICE ON WHICH I AM ABOUT TO ENTER, SO HELP ME GOD.

GO NAVY and God Bless The MIDS !
old salt

Post by old salt »

Does this mean 2 years with no marching & parades ? In about 15 years, change of command ceremonies in The Fleet should be amusing to watch.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I’m sure a lot of printers flying off the Bancroft breezeway.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:12 pm I’m sure a lot of printers flying off the Bancroft breezeway.
Even in normal times, the post Xmas "dark ages" is a grim time at USNA. As the weather starts to improve, & lax season begins, it's a big morale booster that the end is in sight. I can't imagine what it has been like for this bunch of Mids, being locked in their rooms for so much of 2 academic years. Will there be 2 classes climbing Herndon & having Ring Dances this year ? Good training for when you find out that your 9 month deployment has been extended for another month. God Bless these MIDS, indeed !

Quick, hit pause
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2021/03/ ... cal-hotel/

This evening, an additional 98 midshipmen relocated to the Graduate Hotel in an effort to afford additional quarantine/isolation space in the Naval Academy dormitory, Bancroft Hall.

Naval Academy senior leadership announced the decision to implement increased COVID-19 mitigation measures, to include a full restriction of movement (ROM), due to an uptick in positive cases within the Brigade of Midshipmen, during a virtual address, Feb. 28. This is the second wave of midshipmen moving to temporary lodging in a downtown Annapolis hotel. Yesterday, the Academy announced that 98 midshipmen would temporarily reside at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Annapolis beginning last night.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:56 pm Does this mean 2 years with no marching & parades ? In about 15 years, change of command ceremonies in The Fleet should be amusing to watch.
Marching and Navy are basically oil and water. For those who show an aptitude towards marching, we ship them off to the Marine Corps. Also, if you notice at Navy change of commands, there is no formation marching. It is all one person at a time. That has to be for a reason. I did all of my CoC's at sea just to make sure there could be no attempts at marching.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:04 am
old salt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:56 pm Does this mean 2 years with no marching & parades ? In about 15 years, change of command ceremonies in The Fleet should be amusing to watch.
Marching and Navy are basically oil and water. For those who show an aptitude towards marching, we ship them off to the Marine Corps. Also, if you notice at Navy change of commands, there is no formation marching. It is all one person at a time. That has to be for a reason. I did all of my CoC's at sea just to make sure there could be no attempts at marching.
Hah ! At my first assignment out of flight school, within a month of reporting, I was tasked with leading a company of sailors on a pass in review during a personnel inspection & awards ceremony. Marching in column, turns, eyes right, sword tricks, the whole routine. That command did it twice a year when uniforms changed between whites & blues. A practice session of the officers & a second practice of the entire formation was conducted every time. All hands marched 4 times/year.

15 years later, for a change of command ceremony at a Naval Station where I was XO, the incoming & outgoing CO's & I, as the formation commander, trooped the line. I rendered sword salutes with my faded graduation sword. ...one of the companies was our USMC Security Force. Their OinC choreographed the ceremony.
old salt

Post by old salt »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:53 am https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2021/03/ ... cal-hotel/

This evening, an additional 98 midshipmen relocated to the Graduate Hotel in an effort to afford additional quarantine/isolation space in the Naval Academy dormitory, Bancroft Hall.

Naval Academy senior leadership announced the decision to implement increased COVID-19 mitigation measures, to include a full restriction of movement (ROM), due to an uptick in positive cases within the Brigade of Midshipmen, during a virtual address, Feb. 28. This is the second wave of midshipmen moving to temporary lodging in a downtown Annapolis hotel. Yesterday, the Academy announced that 98 midshipmen would temporarily reside at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Annapolis beginning last night.
I'm hoping those numbers are isolation of contact tracing chains & not Mids who tested positive.
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

The MIDS are still under full restriction of movements (ROM), confined to virtual learning and enjoying styrofoam meals in their rooms. After watching this weekends games- Lehigh, Loyola and Army are clearly the cream of the Patriot. Army/Lehigh are clearly the Alpha's with similar style, swag, grit and athleticism on the field.

Clearly, The MIDS Coaching Staff are still learning the challenges of coaching at a Military Academy.

Time will tell, GOD BLESS THE MIDS !
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:52 pm Army/Lehigh are clearly the Alpha's with similar style, swag, grit and athleticism on the field.
I would not disagree at this point. Based on the eye test and re-watching Navy games...a couple times, the Navy team still seems like they are being programmed to follow direct orders on the lax field .. offensively speaking. Slow to sub, flirt with 5v5 on occasion, move the ball to kill some clock, and set up the midfielders for a shot....where have we seen that before? And shocker.....when they just play after a loose ball, a take-away during a hard ride, when everything has broken down....they often capitalize. Our defense is pretty damned good, our ride is pretty damned good, and our 3v3 unit is pretty damned good.....they need to loosen em-up offensively.

Often, you see them in an open set to start, stretching out the D, which makes for long slides....a simple speed dodge would force a 2v1...but no, gotta get in formation. Test the waters, probe a bit, search for a double, attack early...if nothing is there pull it back out.

I love their 2-2-2 s & 2-4 offensive sets, but players are carrying the ball far too long, looking at their feet while dodging, & missing wide open players. Are they not allowed to throw skip passes...certainly looks like it or I suppose it is because they don't see them? Think about it, if you are carrying the ball too long, and all your passes are adjacent, and your inside guys are not really picking for each other but waiting to follow a slide (which is quite rare), the defense is saying...thank you very much; something needs to be tweaked, we need more, STAT.

....Lehigh and Army do these very things, and have been for years.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Naval Academy to begin midshipman vaccination week

The U.S. Naval Academy is now authorized by the Department of the Navy to begin administering the COVID-19 vaccine to its midshipmen. Midshipmen will begin to receive the vaccination as early as Thursday, March 11.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:17 am
Naval Academy to begin midshipman vaccination week

The U.S. Naval Academy is now authorized by the Department of the Navy to begin administering the COVID-19 vaccine to its midshipmen. Midshipmen will begin to receive the vaccination as early as Thursday, March 11.
Continuity of the government reaching pretty far down the chain of command.
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Per the USNA:

Navy’s 10-day athletics pause is turning into more of an extended break.

The Naval Academy announced Wednesday morning the ban on all sporting activities would continue for at least another week as the restriction of movement order remains in effect.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

God, I feel for the MIDS.

Curious, are service academies required to report CV-19 stats since they are in the public domain? the total number MIL is less than 1500 cases. https://www.navy.mil/US-Navy-COVID-19-Updates/
~Livy
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:44 am God, I feel for the MIDS.

Curious, are service academies required to report CV-19 stats since they are in the public domain? the total number MIL is less than 1500 cases. https://www.navy.mil/US-Navy-COVID-19-Updates/
"required to report" Yes.

"required to report" so that we can see numbers at an individual command? No.

DoD Guidance: "...we will not report the aggregate number of individual service member cases at individual unit, base or Combatant Commands."
old salt

Post by old salt »

On Fri, in MD, attendance at outdoor sporting venues authorized up to 50% capacity.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”