All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by a fan »

It's just the wrong sales pitch...and I've said this before.

Pitch being able to swim in the East River. Why is it acceptable that all our fresh water is polluted to the point where simply putting your feet in the water makes you want to hurl?

Pitch oyster beds all around Manhattan. Pitch upgrading our power transmission lines, helping efficiency, while also making our failing infrastructure more robust.

The warming is happening. F the science. Go talk to a 2nd generation farmer. Ask them how much earlier harvest is in 2019 than when they were kids, because every year is just a little warmer...which accelerates the germination process.

Their answer should scare the *hit out of you.

Cradle has been right----most of the "solutions" to warming are just stupid, and ignores low hanging fruit that can help economically, rather than hurt.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Maybe we are looking at it fat too pessimistically. Maybe it is a good thing, heat is energy and is free and if harvests are actually earlier due in part to earlier germination, then theoretically that ought to make the growing season a bit longer for a secondary field crop that may not need as much time to bare fruit. We gotta find the positives in all things and stop worrying about the babble of politicians.

God is good.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

a fan wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:39 pm It's just the wrong sales pitch...and I've said this before.

Pitch being able to swim in the East River. Why is it acceptable that all our fresh water is polluted to the point where simply putting your feet in the water makes you want to hurl?

Pitch oyster beds all around Manhattan. Pitch upgrading our power transmission lines, helping efficiency, while also making our failing infrastructure more robust.

The warming is happening. F the science. Go talk to a 2nd generation farmer. Ask them how much earlier harvest is in 2019 than when they were kids, because every year is just a little warmer...which accelerates the germination process.

Cradle has been right----most of the "solutions" to warming are just stupid, and ignores low hanging fruit that can help economically, rather than hurt.
I totally agree with the first three lines of your post. We need to focus on the things we can change, as I said in an earlier post. Clean air, clean surface water, clean aquifers, clean soil. In the last 50 years, basically the EPA Era, all of these things (with the possible exception of aquifers) are better than they were. I actually think EPA is a more constitutional agency than HUD, Labor, Commerce or Education. None of the latter are called for, however, I believe EPA is actually defending us, unfortunately from ourselves most of the time.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
a fan

Post by a fan »

That’s the great thing about my approach—you don’t have to believe in warming to still fix the problem of pollution and/or wasting energy and materials.

So yes, by all means ignore anything past the first three sentences!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:25 pm That’s the great thing about my approach—you don’t have to believe in warming to still fix the problem of pollution and/or wasting energy and materials.

So yes, by all means ignore anything past the first three sentences!
Yep. It’s not an all or nothing issue. Fuel efficiency requirements has led to innovation and jobs in auto and aerospace industries. It’s been good for business and good for the economy.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:32 pm Maybe we are looking at it fat too pessimistically. Maybe it is a good thing, heat is energy and is free and if harvests are actually earlier due in part to earlier germination, then theoretically that ought to make the growing season a bit longer for a secondary field crop that may not need as much time to bare fruit. We gotta find the positives in all things and stop worrying about the babble of politicians.

God is good.
Gotta find a way to adapt to survive, while feeding & watering a growing global population.

Saw a report that 1/3 of US food production goes to waste during the journey from field to landfill,
& the massive carbon footprint of the entire process.

I joke about the tasty BK Impossible Whopper but it might hold the key to saving the planet.
Not a new idea, in the '60's my wife worked on soy food substitutes as a Ralston Purina lab tech.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:39 pm It's just the wrong sales pitch...and I've said this before.

THANK YOU afan - this is what I have been trying to say over and over - but I think I focus too much on the distractions without enough talk about what we can do, which is plain and simple stuff like clean our rivers.....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Interesting read: https://www.commentarymagazine.com/poli ... locations/
A study by meteorologist Anthony Watts found that almost 90 percent of the 1221 weather stations in the U.S. did not meet the National Weather Service’s setting standards
To develop reliable data, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) placed 114 state-of-the-art weather stations relatively evenly spaced about the lower 48 states. They were carefully sited to be away from urban areas, which are heat islands, airports, which can be affected by jet exhaust, etc.

The system became operative in 2005. Now, realclearenergy.com is reporting that there has been no increase in average temperatures in the continental United States over the last 14 years, as measured by these new stations. If anything, overall temperatures are slightly cooler than they were.
U.S. CO2 emissions are down to where they were in 1985–a third of a century ago, when the GDP was half what it is now in inflation-adjusted terms, and the population was smaller by a quarter. No other industrialized country has come anywhere close to reducing their emissions by so much.

RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Good article on why the devastation due to Dorian in the Bahamas is linked to climate change:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/ ... qualities/
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:32 am Interesting read: https://www.commentarymagazine.com/poli ... locations/
A study by meteorologist Anthony Watts found that almost 90 percent of the 1221 weather stations in the U.S. did not meet the National Weather Service’s setting standards
To develop reliable data, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) placed 114 state-of-the-art weather stations relatively evenly spaced about the lower 48 states. They were carefully sited to be away from urban areas, which are heat islands, airports, which can be affected by jet exhaust, etc.

The system became operative in 2005. Now, realclearenergy.com is reporting that there has been no increase in average temperatures in the continental United States over the last 14 years, as measured by these new stations. If anything, overall temperatures are slightly cooler than they were.
U.S. CO2 emissions are down to where they were in 1985–a third of a century ago, when the GDP was half what it is now in inflation-adjusted terms, and the population was smaller by a quarter. No other industrialized country has come anywhere close to reducing their emissions by so much.
I saw that. Something just seems off about the reporting. I was trying to find out what was missing. I have not found anything really. A spate of these types of articles just broke over the past week or so all reporting the same thing... but I went to NOAA and found this:

“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:04 am Good article on why the devastation due to Dorian in the Bahamas is linked to climate change:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/ ... qualities/
can't get past the paywall, but the devastation due to Dorian is called WEATHER. With more people, and more widely broadcast news, we just see more of this. I can't imagine the level of destruction we will see when we start getting real reports out of the islands.

I believe the hurricane of 1900 is still the most destructive of all time.

HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:07 am but I went to NOAA and found this:
isn't that the data that the article says is skewed?

Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:16 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:07 am but I went to NOAA and found this:
Those numbers were just published. Is the implication that the NOAA knows the system is flawed but is lying? The temperatures seem to have been rising in that chart.
EDIT: Just as I suspected. A BS artist:

https://skepticalscience.com/Anthony_Watts_blog.htm

https://thinkprogress.org/the-video-tha ... ff7ad8a12/

May as well have Al Roker weigh in.
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:30 am
Those numbers were just published. Is the implication that the NOAA knows the system is flawed but is lying? The temperatures seem to have been rising in that chart.
EDIT: Just as I suspected. A BS artist: https://skepticalscience.com/Anthony_Watts_blog.htm
NOAA is using more than just US weather stations. And ocean temperatures are part of that. The chart is "global" temperatures. Your article is referring to (basically rural) US temperature stations. Not even entirely meaningful, as there are significant populations in urban areas.

Oh, and BTW, Watts studied both EE and meteorology at Purdue, but did not graduate. He has been a TV weather presenter. You should look at the Wikipedia article about him (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Watts_(blogger)) where they actually have a graph comparing the summary of the data for all NOAAs historical climate study alongside of the data just from his 70 best stations and there is no difference within the error that can be seen in the data. He does get a lot of play with his blog, but little respect from mainstream science as he basically is full of it for the most part.
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:45 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:30 am
EDIT: Just as I suspected. A BS artist: https://skepticalscience.com/Anthony_Watts_blog.htm
NOAA is using more than just US weather stations. And ocean temperatures are part of that. The chart is "global" temperatures. Your article is referring to (basically rural) US temperature stations. Not even entirely meaningful, as there are significant populations in urban areas.

Oh, and BTW, Watts studied both EE and meteorology at Purdue, but did not graduate. He has been a TV weather presenter. You should look at the Wikipedia article about him (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Watts_(blogger)) where they actually have a graph comparing the summary of the data for all NOAAs historical climate study alongside of the data just from his 70 best stations and there is no difference within the error that can be seen in the data. He does get a lot of play with his blog, but little respect from mainstream science as he basically is full of it for the most part.
Took me all of 3 minutes to determine he is a shill.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

That was quite the sheepdip show on CNN last night. It verifies something I have already know for a very long time. You folks in the chicken little brigade do not give rats rear end about saving the planet. The objective is pushing forward everybody's personal pet agendas. The collective ignorance and stupidity of this group of folks was stunning. I listened to some of the low lights of the evening. Any person that could suffer through 7 hours of this fiasco should be awarded a purple heart. :!:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:49 pm That was quite the sheepdip show on CNN last night. It verifies something I have already know for a very long time. You folks in the chicken little brigade do not give rats rear end about saving the planet. The objective is pushing forward everybody's personal pet agendas. The collective ignorance and stupidity of this group of folks was stunning. I listened to some of the low lights of the evening. Any person that could suffer through 7 hours of this fiasco should be awarded a purple heart. :!:
Wow...pretty broad black/white assertion. Because you have a different view, it doesn't mean that some aren't as committed to a healthier planet as you are unconvinced there is a need.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Way to go c&s, now I'm gonna be forced to eat a BK Impossible Whopper just because of you.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:49 pm That was quite the sheepdip show on CNN last night. It verifies something I have already know for a very long time. You folks in the chicken little brigade do not give rats rear end about saving the planet. The objective is pushing forward everybody's personal pet agendas. The collective ignorance and stupidity of this group of folks was stunning. I listened to some of the low lights of the evening. Any person that could suffer through 7 hours of this fiasco should be awarded a purple heart. :!:
Yikes, that's some 'review'.

So...where did you find the "low lights"?

I flipped a couple of times into the programming and basically realized that I would do better with my time looking at reviews/comparisons (by the more moderate press...and my fellow posters on here!) of the various folks' thoughts rather than trying to watch all the town meetings 'live'. 7 hours!

I did happen to catch a moment where Warren had a little bit of a deer in the head lights look when asked about whether she agreed with Bernie that the energy companies should be all taken over by the federal government, as 'energy is a right', sort of notion. First I'd heard that Bernie was throwing that idea out there on the bleeding edge left! I was pleased that Warren resisted the impulse to decry private enterprise, the questioner was asking her to reject capitalism...She led with saying that she certainly had demonstrated her willingness to challenge large companies, but that she felt that private enterprise and profit making had an important role in driving the sorts of innovations necessary to address our climate and other environmental and ecosystem challenges. That was reassuring, as I see her as the most likely far lefty to get the nomination and sounds like she's not an anti-capitalist in this realm and wasn't going to go there just because some of Bernie's voters might want her to do so. Not that I want her to be the candidate, but if she is, I was glad she wasn't going to be bleeding edge.

Later, I heard Booker discussing his proposals and he's obviously not bleeding edge, sees questions through a scientific lens, believes in a portfolio set of responses and major increases in R & D, all of which I agree with. On the other hand, $3T investment proposal. I liked that when he was asked a question that he really didn't have an answer on (a scientific approach that's pretty out there), he said so straightforwardly. Didn't try to BS it. Also very interesting that he went to bat for the current technology developments, R&D, in nuclear. Not a popular position with many, but he said he'd dug into the science and safety and believes that it may be the only practical way to achieve the necessary carbon goals in the time frame.

I already know that I'm comfortable with Mayor Pete and Amy Klobuchar, smart and practical...will have to look at the others, but I expect they're all in a range I'd be fine with...except Bernie.

To me, actually taking the challenge seriously is a no-brainer. If a politician doesn't they've lost me. From there I want to see depth of thought and a degree of restraint that looks at how most effectively to address the challenges while driving post economic outcomes.

I really don't get the anti-science bias out there on the hard right. A lot of overlap with the anti-vaccine fanatics and the Moon landing deniers.

Sure seems flat earth to me.

But maybe it's all part of this 'anti-elite' thing that some find viscerally appealing because it validates their lack of actual expertise themselves, elevates emotions over data and expertise.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Much of the tv coverage of Hurricane Dorian damage to Grand Bahama shows a damaged twin engine airplane sitting by a road (not a runway)
Here's the report :
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/228744
the bottom 2 links have pictures.
It's a Piper PA-31-350, based on the photo, it's been upgraded with a Panther conversion (winglets & 4 bladed props}.
It's a US registered aircraft, to a LLC (BAH) named Fountainhead. Records show multiple flights between the Bahamas & FL.
It's a valuable airplane, now a write off for salvage. I can't believe they didn't fly it out ahead of the storm.
...wish they'd have called me. We had a stable of 4 of them when I was a contract flight operator.

Return to “POLITICS”