D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:32 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:21 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:13 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:00 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:20 pm He is eligible, yes?
No and he won't be for several years. You, however, are eligible for a lobotomy
lots and lots of words
Harrison retired after the 2021 HoF inductees were announced. He was still "playing the game" at the time nominees were selected. He wasn't eligible
So , you are telling us, that Kyle Harrison will not be eligible for the US Lacrosse Hall of Fame.....as truly a great COLLEGE lacrosse player (like Petro after 15 years, based on only COLLEGE ) until 2031....or 2035 ?

Several years, you claim...... ok,when, and what year, is he eligible, according to you ?

You keep on ignoring Petro HoF induction timing........

DAVE PIETRAMALA
HALL OF FAME | INDUCTED 2004 - 15 years = 1989
COLLEGE

Johns Hopkins University

They must have changed the rules, even tho I just posted the criteria/rules............keep on defending the snub.
I was wrong about "several years" but not wrong about him being ineligible this year. He should be eligible in 2022.

1) Must be retired from the game for at least 10 years — nope, he retired a few months ago
OR
2) Must be 15 years removed from college graduation *and* be retired — yes to the first part but nope to the second part since at the time of the nomination process he was NOT retired.

He should be eligible under criteria #2 next year

Petro was nominated exactly 15 years after graduating because he wasn't playing pro lacrosse anymore at that time. He stopped in the 90s. So at his 15-year mark there was no reason to wait. At Harrison's 15-year from college mark, in May 2020, he was still playing lacrosse. Now that it's been 15 years AND he's retired, he should be eligible for the next cycle. Why is this difficult to understand?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

For those who already knew, or for those who haven’t heard

The Charles street game between loyola and hopkins is set for february 19. 3 pm at homewood.

From what I am hearing fall ball related between the two neighbors- this years game is going to be very very exciting: similar to the 2017 game with that riveting back and forth affair.

I have my train tickets booked to come down to baltimore that day. I’m excited! It’ll be my first time back in the charles street area since graduating in 2018
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:41 pm
lots and lots of words
Harrison retired after the 2021 HoF inductees were announced. He was still "playing the game" at the time nominees were selected. He wasn't eligible
So , you are telling us, that Kyle Harrison will not be eligible for the US Lacrosse Hall of Fame.....as truly a great COLLEGE lacrosse player (like Petro after 15 years, based on only COLLEGE ) until 2031....or 2035 ?

Several years, you claim...... ok,when, and what year, is he eligible, according to you ?

DAVE PIETRAMALA
COLLEGE

Johns Hopkins University

They must have changed the rules, even tho I just posted the criteria/rules............keep on defending the snub.
I was wrong about "several years" but not wrong about him being ineligible this year. He should be eligible in 2022.

1) Must be retired from the game for at least 10 years — nope, he retired a few months ago
OR
2) Must be 15 years removed from college graduation *and* be retired — yes to the first part but nope to the second part since at the time of the nomination process he was NOT retired.

Petro was nominated exactly 15 years after graduating because he wasn't playing pro lacrosse anymore at that time. He stopped in the 90s. So at his 15-year mark there was no reason to wait. At Harrison's 15-year from college mark, in May 2020, he was still playing lacrosse. Now that it's been 15 years AND he's retired, he should be eligible for the next cycle. Why is this difficult to understand?
It's not.
And we'd expect him to get in the first round, I'd think, though it's a ranking process so, it's theoretically possible it'll take more than one shot at it if there's a bunch of other worthy nominees, including others from earlier years...but I'd think he'd get in quickly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:52 pm if anyone attempts to kill this discussion, i'm bringing in the mods.
page count...better than cat pictures,,, ;)
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:10 pm [
It's not.
And we'd expect him to get in the first round, I'd think, though it's a ranking process so, it's theoretically possible it'll take more than one shot at it if there's a bunch of other worthy nominees, including others from earlier years...but I'd think he'd get in quickly.
[/quote]

Whom to you refer to when using "we'd" ?

Otherwize, you are literally the poster child of the very systemic racism that is paraded in front of us, yet those involved just wave the hand.

THis is a Hopkins thread. Who....and in what world....would deserve a HoF induction over Kyle Harrison ? Johns Hopkins graduate Kyle Harrison.

First time, in almost two decades, champion, BEST college lacrosse player award (T ) Team USA member. WHo?

So....who........deserves to get in over Mr. Harrison......when he becomes
eligible
:
we are all eyeballs,
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:41 pm
lots and lots of words

DAVE PIETRAMALA
COLLEGE

Johns Hopkins University

OR

So how did Ryan Boyle get inducted, exactly 15 years after leaving Princeton? Didn't he play pro and for team USA ? Guess the "rules" have changed since "they" got inducted, eh? ;)
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

I know that I should just go to bed and be quiet, BUT one or two last thoughts on warming up a Goalie. The object is not to score on the Goalie, but to get the Goalie in a rhythm, moving easily from right to left, and back again, high to low, bending to get shots, reaching high to get shots, protecting the pipes, bounce shots, high shots, low shots, like stretching exercises or yoga or isometrics. Now ready to face the "real world", warmed up and feeling flexible. But the warmups are just an accumulation of warmups from practice, week after week, month after month. Just like ground ball drills, shooting drills, etc until it just becomes instinctive.

Contrary to some posts here, the goalie warm-ups are very important and significant. ;)

Good night. It will be lacrosse season soon.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Chitown wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:53 pm I know that I should just go to bed and be quiet, BUT one or two last thoughts on warming up a Goalie. The object is not to score on the Goalie, but to get the Goalie in a rhythm, moving easily from right to left, and back again, high to low, bending to get shots, reaching high to get shots, protecting the pipes, bounce shots, high shots, low shots, like stretching exercises or yoga or isometrics. Now ready to face the "real world", warmed up and feeling flexible. But the warmups are just an accumulation of warmups from practice, week after week, month after month. Just like ground ball drills, shooting drills, etc until it just becomes instinctive.

Contrary to some posts here, the goalie warm-ups are very important and significant. ;)

Good night. It will be lacrosse season soon.
And yet, college coaches "pick" there next goalie based on a 4 minute half time warm up, splitting time with that other Di I stud goalie recruit at the Harry Hopkins Potter Pumpkin Patch Elite showcase......coming soon to a theater near you. Interesting.

Isn't Johns Hopkins lacrosse on probation? Are they even eligible for post season play ?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:01 pm Arguments over goalie warm up. I didn’t have that on the Hopkins Forum Looney Bird Bingo Card. Well done boys!
Making the Hopkins thread great again!

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

This is almost as bad as the goalie warm-up discussion - Harry will get in to the HOF - one of the few people not worried about it is Harry. As a tangenital question, mine is how the #2 and #5 career assist leaders and the tied for #7 and #9 all time point leaders (both over 200 points which only 11 Hopkins players have ever acheived) are not on the all-time Hopkins team? That seems beyond comprehension.

I would like to recognize Chi and MDlax for very informative/reasoned posts - the best of what Laxpower/Fanlax has to offer. My final summation -no one I think is suggesting goalie warm-ups is not important and significant. I think what some clear thinking indoviduals are trying to point out are the following:
- Discussing goalie warm ups in connection with fall scrimmages is not missing the forest for the trees it's missing the universe without regards to the galaxies
- The same guy who warmed up the goalies on Saturday also warmed up the goalies last season to the tune of a 45%ish save percentage - not that has anything to do with the price of gas
- No one is questioning Junior's seriousness or approach to the topic
- You don't need generational talent (like Cowan's or Junior's) to warm-up a goalie. Seth Tierney and Bob Benson both warmed up the same goalie and won 'ships
- The most important thing is the approach and following the system to give your goalie the most confidence and the best chance for success - that doesn''t mean - in today's world - setting him up for EVERYTHING he might see in a game. Otherwise you would choose Mac O'Keefe to warm up your goalie and after 5 minutes the goalie would be Custard the Dragon cryin for a nice safe cage
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:56 pm Pre-game goalie warm-up is definitely more important than the cartoon Blue Jay helmet decal that may or may not resemble a duckling.
Blasphemy! :shock: :o

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Question—Sports Psychologist Next to Goalie During Game

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:27 pm
Chitown wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:48 am I know in my heart that I should NOT venture into this topic, BUT I had 3 coaches at JHU (Coach Fewster, Chic & Scotty), all of whom are in the Hall of Fame. Another Coach, Ace Adams, got me my first and only coaching gig.

Here is what I learned: Most goalies need cat-like reflexes (if they start thinking too much, it can be disastrous), most goalies are "head-cases" (if they lose confidence, you are screwed) and need to be treated carefully, and warm-ups are done pursuant to a developed system and with precision: starting with slow outside bounce shots and working inward towards the Goalie. A player is NEVER given the job to warm-up a Goalie. Warming up a Goalie needs someone with experience. Chic or Scotty warmed up our Goalies. No one else.

We always had good goalies, surrounded by good defensemen and good defensive middies.

I have no other comments and nothing else to say.
Indeed, this is what makes this thread fun to participate on.

I've mentioned my credentials plenty, 3 generations of tenders, all at a high level, son is particularly analytical and has coached a bunch of D1 and D3 tenders. It's fair to say that years and years of watching goalies, including their warm-ups, as well as experiencing thousands of same ourselves, we'd have an opinion on this topic.

Chitown's post is right on, though I don't know that I'd go so far as to say "never" on a warm up from a non coach. But I'd never do it game day with my starter nor #1 back-up. It would be a rare that I wouldn't have one of the coaches, or me, do any warm-up as it needs to be someone fully trained to do so.

Warm-ups, most especially game day, must be highly intentional. They have a rhythm that is designed to build and maintain confidence, as well as sharpness of eye, warmth of body movement. They are not a new teaching opportunity, other than perhaps being conscious of field conditions, and perhaps reminders about opponent shooting tendencies, etc (though that should have been adequately drilled the day prior), so a simple reminder would suffice.

Heavy heat on game day should only be applied after the tender is well warm and sharp. The objective of such is solely about feeling confident that the heat is no big deal to handle. The shooter's objective should NEVER be to score repeatedly, but rather solely in working the tender to be relaxed and smooth in their movements, all of which have been drilled and drilled and drilled previously.

Again, game day warm ups, pre-game and at half-time, are all about being warm and confident, the latter being the #1 objective. Attitude is essential. The tender should leave the warm-up, smiling, confident, loose and eager to take on the opponent.

Personally, I never felt fully great until I'd taken a shot or two to the chest or leg and got that adrenaline jolt in response to a bit of 'pain'.

Now, whether the shooting coach is someone who can bring truly high heat or not is far less important than the seriousness of the approach to the exercise. The head coach or the dedicated goalie coach or whatever coach needs to be very, very serious about this task. The goalie corps will respect and appreciate that seriousness as well. And they'll respond in kind.

If that primary coach cannot himself bring the very high heat, a good drill in pregame is two shooters at top line, fed by one or two of the other goalies behind the goal. For this drill, a coach or player with a hard shot can be involved, though under the close management of the coach. The shooter needs to recognize that the objective is to show high heat, not to score repeatedly. Just do enough to build confidence versus heat.

Now, that's all game-day. Other kinds of intensive work during the week and off season involve all kinds of other work, putting various sorts of challenges in front of the tenders to conquer.

Again, all of that, too, needs to be highly intentional.
The process of training skills, refining technique, etc, and the building of confidence is not a one day process!
But it can be fouled up by poor game day management.

On the reputation re 'head case' of tenders, I think that all players benefit from serious attention to game-day process, confidence in one's preparation, confidence in one's team mates. Great coaching respects this reality and manages it proactively.

That said, perhaps more than any other position, goalie play is impacted more by the state of mind achieved than raw physical ability, though again, all player positions are impacted by mental state. But the goalie faces much more "failure" than any other position, rivaled only by the FOGO. And the differential between success and failure is not a matter of a burst of 'effort' signaled by a whistle but rather relaxation and focus in the moments of highest stress. Again and again and again.

Somehow, the goalie needs to truly believe that whatever may have just occurred during the game, he is fully capable of making the next save no matter how terrific the next shot may be. It's not 'cockiness' but rather well-informed deep down confidence than enables such resilience. And that's extremely difficult to achieve, or to maintain, if the 'voices' around one at practice, off the field, in one's head, are saying something different. There's always going to be negative voices, but they needn't be the most important.

So, the environment that coaches build is crucial to at least provide the opportunity for such confidence to be built in each tender on the roster.

Of course, that may not be enough...it also depends on the tender having the emotional resiliency to go through adversity and come out all the more competitively driven. Very hard to measure, but I think it's quite crucial. (Corollary: I think it's particularly difficult to predict such resiliency when the kid is being recruited as a freshman/sophomore given early success based on 'athleticism').

I don't know whether Grant Jr's involvement is because of his shooting ability (I rather doubt it) but I'd take it as a potential signal of seriousness. But the real question is the actual seriousness of approach, not necessarily which coach is assigned.

Nor do I have an opinion re Benson.

I am, however, confident that Joe Cowan would have taken the task quite seriously. ;)
But I'm not so sure that Joe's involvement in warm-ups wasn't a finish up from Scott or Chic, giving the tender some looks once warmed up...I'll try to remember to ask him next time I see him!
Great stuff, chitown and MD. Thanks! :)

Quick question, MD (and chitown, feel free to comment as well) … based on what you wrote, should the NCAA change the rules to require a sports psychologist to stand next to each goalie throughout the game? Seems like goalies have a lot of “issues” to deal with. A small circle could be drawn next to the cage on either side … an exclusion zone where the sports psychologist can stand during the game and counsel the goalie as the contest progresses. The counseling would be especially helpful after the goalie gives up a goal. The sports psychologist would wear protective gear and a one-minute unreleasable penalty would be assessed for violating the exclusion circle. Would welcome your thoughts.

I’m glad you raised these issues. As we know, mental health is just as important as physical health.

Thanks again, fellas, for the invaluable insight.

DocBarrister :)
Last edited by DocBarrister on Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:51 pm So how did Ryan Boyle get inducted, exactly 15 years after leaving Princeton? Didn't he play pro and for team USA ? Guess the "rules" have changed since "they" got inducted, eh? ;)
Boyle was inducted in 2019. He had been retired from pro lacrosse for 8 years at that point. So once he became 15 years removed from college (2004 + 15 = 2019), he was immediately eligible.

Harrison was not eligible in 2020 (2005 + 15 = 2020) because he wasn't retired then. He was still playing lacrosse. He will be eligible in 2022 because that will be the first time he is both 15 years removed from college AND retired from playing professionally.

You are having A LOT of trouble with this concept, aren't you?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:32 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:51 pm So how did Ryan Boyle get inducted, exactly 15 years after leaving Princeton? Didn't he play pro and for team USA ? Guess the "rules" have changed since "they" got inducted, eh? ;)
Boyle was inducted in 2019. He had been retired from pro lacrosse for 8 years at that point. So once he became 15 years removed from college (2004 + 15 = 2019), he was immediately eligible.

Harrison was not eligible in 2020 (2005 + 15 = 2020) because he wasn't retired then. He was still playing lacrosse. He will be eligible in 2022 because that will be the first time he is both 15 years removed from college AND retired from playing professionally.

You are having A LOT of trouble with this concept, aren't you?
Won't deny the trouble, but it's not with any "concept", it IS with the asterisk explanation of what "retired" is.

Again, Mr. Harrison will be inducted into the Hall, based on his COLLEGE career.......NOT his "pro" career. Yes ? So, yeah, having trouble understanding US racisTLAX criteria for HoF acceptance.

The point is not the obvious, but the timing. Hopkins involved in anyway, shape, or form, with US laCROSSE? ;)
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The deadline for filing an application is December 1 before rhe class is to be inducted. Therefore the qualifications must be net as of that date.

Seems to me this is a non-issue. Neither Kyle nor Myles seem to have a problem with it. I sat directly behind Myles for four years. I can’t speak for him bit i also cant imagine he wiukd think there is an issue
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:50 am The deadline for filing an application is December 1 before rhe class is to be inducted. Therefore the qualifications must be net as of that date.

Seems to me this is a non-issue. Neither Kyle nor Myles seem to have a problem with it. I sat directly behind Myles for four years. I can’t speak for him bit i also cant imagine he wiukd think there is an issue
So, someone within the Hopkins athletic department has filled out the application, already? Great. Glad to Mr. Harrison up on stage in 2020 ;)

Hopkins DOES have a history of not filing paperwork on time... :D
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

The HoF nomination process is publicly accessible: https://www.usalacrosse.com/national-la ... me-process

Anyone can nominate, including the player, coach, official, him or herself.

The selection process is a little less transparent, but the stated process is also public:

https://www.usalacrosse.com/sites/defau ... 0Final.pdf

I don't know Kyle personally, but everything I do know, read, heard, watched tells me he's a slam dunk on every sense of the selection criteria.

The accusation about some sort of racial bias about Kyle's timing is totally ridiculous. He wasn't eligible this past year, he will be next.

Now, if we wanted to do a look back to decades ago as to why it took so long for Jim Brown to be admitted, I do know from much closer insight, that Brown's admission was very strongly opposed on character issues, due to various known, egregious offenses. At the time I questioned the two people who I knew on that selection Board, one my father, the other my godfather, and they too felt very strongly...my pushback was whether they were so sure that they'd had as tough standards for others who had not been so prominently and aggressively involved in civil rights...and were white, not black. The latter was a tough challenge as they were the two most influential BD members in bringing lacrosse to inner city kids in Baltimore public middle schools in a program that encouraged school attendance and general citizenship, supported by an Abell Foundation study grant. They were adamant that Brown's issues were on a scale that other admit-tees didn't approach...I'm not so sure that racial bias didn't creep in, but that was the very clear rationale.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:29 am The HoF nomination process is publicly accessible: https://www.usalacrosse.com/national-la ... me-process

Anyone can nominate, including the player, coach, official, him or herself.

The selection process is a little less transparent, but the stated process is also public:

https://www.usalacrosse.com/sites/defau ... 0Final.pdf

I don't know Kyle personally, but everything I do know, read, heard, watched tells me he's a slam dunk on every sense of the selection criteria.

The accusation about some sort of racial bias about Kyle's timing is totally ridiculous. He wasn't eligible this past year, he will be next.

The US lacrosse information had already been posted (see above), but thanks anyway.

Also, you wrote (also above) that their may be "others" in the mix , that may get in, over Mr. Harrison. You wrote that. Why?

Of COURSE it is ridickyoulous, to make the claim that "race" had anything to do with the timing.......of course it is. :lol: :lol:

Now, where is your response to the Native American US Lacrosse HoF presence....or lack there of. Explanation for their absence, when it is their game. ?????

Why is the selection process so closed? :lol: :lol:
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:29 amBrown... They were adamant that Brown's issues were on a scale that other admit-tees didn't approach...I'm not so sure that racial bias didn't creep in, but that was the very clear rationale.
This is interesting. Less on a practical level and more on a human level. Thanks for the inside info, MD.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Re: Question—Sports Psychologist Next to Goalie During Game

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:28 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:27 pm
Chitown wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:48 am I know in my heart that I should NOT venture into this topic, BUT I had 3 coaches at JHU (Coach Fewster, Chic & Scotty), all of whom are in the Hall of Fame. Another Coach, Ace Adams, got me my first and only coaching gig.

Here is what I learned: Most goalies need cat-like reflexes (if they start thinking too much, it can be disastrous), most goalies are "head-cases" (if they lose confidence, you are screwed) and need to be treated carefully, and warm-ups are done pursuant to a developed system and with precision: starting with slow outside bounce shots and working inward towards the Goalie. A player is NEVER given the job to warm-up a Goalie. Warming up a Goalie needs someone with experience. Chic or Scotty warmed up our Goalies. No one else.

We always had good goalies, surrounded by good defensemen and good defensive middies.

I have no other comments and nothing else to say.
Indeed, this is what makes this thread fun to participate on.

I've mentioned my credentials plenty, 3 generations of tenders, all at a high level, son is particularly analytical and has coached a bunch of D1 and D3 tenders. It's fair to say that years and years of watching goalies, including their warm-ups, as well as experiencing thousands of same ourselves, we'd have an opinion on this topic.

Chitown's post is right on, though I don't know that I'd go so far as to say "never" on a warm up from a non coach. But I'd never do it game day with my starter nor #1 back-up. It would be a rare that I wouldn't have one of the coaches, or me, do any warm-up as it needs to be someone fully trained to do so.

Warm-ups, most especially game day, must be highly intentional. They have a rhythm that is designed to build and maintain confidence, as well as sharpness of eye, warmth of body movement. They are not a new teaching opportunity, other than perhaps being conscious of field conditions, and perhaps reminders about opponent shooting tendencies, etc (though that should have been adequately drilled the day prior), so a simple reminder would suffice.

Heavy heat on game day should only be applied after the tender is well warm and sharp. The objective of such is solely about feeling confident that the heat is no big deal to handle. The shooter's objective should NEVER be to score repeatedly, but rather solely in working the tender to be relaxed and smooth in their movements, all of which have been drilled and drilled and drilled previously.

Again, game day warm ups, pre-game and at half-time, are all about being warm and confident, the latter being the #1 objective. Attitude is essential. The tender should leave the warm-up, smiling, confident, loose and eager to take on the opponent.

Personally, I never felt fully great until I'd taken a shot or two to the chest or leg and got that adrenaline jolt in response to a bit of 'pain'.

Now, whether the shooting coach is someone who can bring truly high heat or not is far less important than the seriousness of the approach to the exercise. The head coach or the dedicated goalie coach or whatever coach needs to be very, very serious about this task. The goalie corps will respect and appreciate that seriousness as well. And they'll respond in kind.

If that primary coach cannot himself bring the very high heat, a good drill in pregame is two shooters at top line, fed by one or two of the other goalies behind the goal. For this drill, a coach or player with a hard shot can be involved, though under the close management of the coach. The shooter needs to recognize that the objective is to show high heat, not to score repeatedly. Just do enough to build confidence versus heat.

Now, that's all game-day. Other kinds of intensive work during the week and off season involve all kinds of other work, putting various sorts of challenges in front of the tenders to conquer.

Again, all of that, too, needs to be highly intentional.
The process of training skills, refining technique, etc, and the building of confidence is not a one day process!
But it can be fouled up by poor game day management.

On the reputation re 'head case' of tenders, I think that all players benefit from serious attention to game-day process, confidence in one's preparation, confidence in one's team mates. Great coaching respects this reality and manages it proactively.

That said, perhaps more than any other position, goalie play is impacted more by the state of mind achieved than raw physical ability, though again, all player positions are impacted by mental state. But the goalie faces much more "failure" than any other position, rivaled only by the FOGO. And the differential between success and failure is not a matter of a burst of 'effort' signaled by a whistle but rather relaxation and focus in the moments of highest stress. Again and again and again.

Somehow, the goalie needs to truly believe that whatever may have just occurred during the game, he is fully capable of making the next save no matter how terrific the next shot may be. It's not 'cockiness' but rather well-informed deep down confidence than enables such resilience. And that's extremely difficult to achieve, or to maintain, if the 'voices' around one at practice, off the field, in one's head, are saying something different. There's always going to be negative voices, but they needn't be the most important.

So, the environment that coaches build is crucial to at least provide the opportunity for such confidence to be built in each tender on the roster.

Of course, that may not be enough...it also depends on the tender having the emotional resiliency to go through adversity and come out all the more competitively driven. Very hard to measure, but I think it's quite crucial. (Corollary: I think it's particularly difficult to predict such resiliency when the kid is being recruited as a freshman/sophomore given early success based on 'athleticism').

I don't know whether Grant Jr's involvement is because of his shooting ability (I rather doubt it) but I'd take it as a potential signal of seriousness. But the real question is the actual seriousness of approach, not necessarily which coach is assigned.

Nor do I have an opinion re Benson.

I am, however, confident that Joe Cowan would have taken the task quite seriously. ;)
But I'm not so sure that Joe's involvement in warm-ups wasn't a finish up from Scott or Chic, giving the tender some looks once warmed up...I'll try to remember to ask him next time I see him!
Great stuff, chitown and MD. Thanks! :)

Quick question, MD (and chitown, feel free to comment as well) … based on what you wrote, should the NCAA change the rules to require a sports psychologist to stand next to each goalie throughout the game? Seems like goalies have a lot of “issues” to deal with. A small circle could be drawn next to the cage on either side … an exclusion zone where the sports psychologist can stand during the game and counsel the goalie as the contest progresses. The counseling would be especially helpful after the goalie gives up a goal. The sports psychologist would wear protective gear and a one-minute unreleasable penalty would be assessed for violating the exclusion circle. Would welcome your thoughts.

I’m glad you raised these issues. As we know, mental health is just as important as physical health.

Thanks again, fellas, for the invaluable insight.

DocBarrister :)
Obviously you're joking.
(Though we do joke in our family about having "a screw loose" when people remark on our having all been tenders.)

Indeed, as I argued, the goalie's own emotional resilience, the ability to come through adversity and be all the more competitively committed is a key factor to sustained goalie success.

Coaches can create an environment that encourages an optimal state of mind...or not.

My point was not about 'mental health' but rather optimal state of mind, something great coaches proactively manage for all the players, and the team as a whole. It's simply all the more important for tenders as the differential between great play and good play...good or poor play is much more state of mind than physical ability and training, come game day. But it's true for other athletes as well.

As to sports psychologists, I think having a sports psychologist working with coaches is a very good idea, helping them understand how they can positively or negatively impact their players. IMO, there's a lot of coaching behavior that can be counterproductive.

I also think that sports psychologists can very positively impact an individual player's mental preparation process. Lots of elite athletes do use such from time to time, or on an ongoing basis. I think some exposure to psychological principles is quite worthwhile for athletes aspiring to perform at an elite level...and the competition is doing so...

And I also think that having someone available outside of the coaching staff available to turn to for a kid having really bad emotional problems, depression, anxiety etc would be worthwhile. Hopefully the necessity to tap that resource would be rare, but we know that there are tragic stories.

BTW, I'm neither a sports psychologist, married to one, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night...just an opinion.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”