Religion in America

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Religion in America

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:05 pm
... nah, it is just a space cowboy shoot em up! ;)
That would be star wars!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:09 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:05 pm
... nah, it is just a space cowboy shoot em up! ;)
That would be star wars!
yes
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:35 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:21 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:28 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:15 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:54 am The students have to pass the course, and we’ll punish teachers who won’t instruct them:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/oklahoma-s ... rcna159548

“Oklahoma educators who refuse to teach students about the Bible could lose their teaching license, Superintendent of Public Instruction Ryan Walters said in an interview with NBC News on Friday.

Walters issued a memo Thursday instructing all Oklahoma schools to teach students in grades five through 12 about the Bible’s influence on the nation’s founding and historical American figures. Schools will also be required to stock a Bible in every classroom.

In an interview with NBC News, Walters said if a teacher refuses to follow the Bible instruction mandate, they’d face the same consequences as one who refuses to teach about the Civil War. The punishment could include revocation of their teaching license, he said, a process that requires a vote by the Oklahoma State Board of Education, which Walters chairs.

“Any teacher that would knowingly, willfully disobey the law and disobey our standards — there are repercussions for that,” Walters said. “So we deal with that on a case-by-case basis, but yes, teachers have to teach Oklahoma Academic Standards and this is absolutely going to be part of them.”

Walters’ new rule on incorporating Bible instruction was immediately criticized by civil liberties and religious groups. The Jewish Federation of Tulsa and the Oklahoma chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations both said in statements that Walters is inappropriately promoting Christianity in schools.

Americans United for Separation of Church and State also weighed in. “Walters is abusing the power of his public office to impose his religious beliefs on everyone else’s children,” the group said in an email, adding that it is “carefully assessing options.”

….

Walters said he feels confident that his order will survive legal challenges because of the justices then-President Donald Trump appointed to the Supreme Court.

“He’s helped provide a path for us to be able to do this as states,” Walters said of Trump. He added that if Trump wins a second term in November, “it will help us move the ball forward, even more so than this.”
I thought this issue was settled by the SCOTUS many years ago? The assumption is this SCOTUS will ignore stari decisis with no proof other than a FLP preconceived notion. That is quite a stretch in logic but I can see how paranoid liberals arrived there. :roll:
Thanks for the eye roll emoji. Maybe google a bit first.

I think -- and someone can correct me if I'm wrong -- that the Court in the Bremerton case effectively overruled (or at least made dramatic inroads on) the Lemon v. Kurtzman test, which was the guiding law in this area from 1971 until this Court got its teeth into things with Kennedy v. Bremerton in 2022. Bremerton is the reason the Oklahoma Superintendent of Schools says, in the article above, that he "feels confident that his order will survive legal challenges because of the justices then-President Donald Trump appointed to the Supreme Court."

Lemon established a three-part test for Establishment Clause claims, under which, to pass constitutional muster, government action (1) must have a primary secular purpose, (2) may not have the principal effect of advancing or inhibiting religion, and (3) may not foster excessive entanglement with religion. The Court in Bremerton pretty much expressly abandoned this age old test.

So, you see? Stare decisis appears to have mattered very little already, the Court having jettisoned 51 years of settled law. So there doesn't seem to be any "FLP preconceived notion" -- whatever that means -- and there are no unreasonably "paranoid liberals" here. I still think this decision by Oklahoma (and the recent decision by the Louisiana legislature to mandate a copy of the Ten Commandments in every classroom) run afoul of the Establishment Clause, even under the so-called "historical" approach of Bremerton. But this group of judicial Christian gladiators is pretty hard to predict.
I'm not a lawyer counselor. I don't want Christian principles being taught in public schools. The 10 commandments are good guide lines for all people. So if a student wants to read his/her Bible in study hall should that be allowed? How should the line of demarcation be defined? If a student sneezes and the teacher says " bless you" has the teacher made an egregious offense? We live in a society where some of people are offended if you tell them to have a nice day. " DON'T TELL ME WHAT KIND OF DAY TO HAVE!! I responded one time to a jackass and said I hope you get run over by f***ing bus. He didn't much appreciate that either. You just can't please some people. :D
.... and you want these easily offended to possess guns! :lol: :lol:

There is no problem with reading the bible in study hall quietly and individually, never has been, as far as the establishment clause -- as long as the reading is being done at the sole discretion of the student (without coaching by school personnel). Just have to obey all other study hall rules. No different from reading any other book.

As for the ten commandments being a good guideline --- how do you deal with "thou shall have no other gods before me"? This is clearly Abrahamic.

Personally I object far less to the 10 commandments then the sh*t these folks want to shove down our throats in round 2. Best to nip it in the bud. Make no mistake about it -- These people are all about their taking control of society, organizing things to their liking! Same with abortion. These people, the evangelicals, their churches supported abortion nationally until the period of school desegregation. Jerry Falwell needed a way to whip these people to his cause, keeping the blacks down. So he built an army to think America was godless and these people (the real Americans :roll: ) are going to fix it. Not without a massive fight!

In 1994 Israel instituted a national health system that has the feature of paying for all abortions regardless of cause. This was noticed by anti-abortion church groups who also recognized that US tax dollars were paying for this through the fungibility of US foreign aid. Internally, a small number of anti-abortion church members thought it was a good idea to raise this as an issue, protest it, makes some noise. They passed it up the chain of their organizations. Went over like a lead balloon among the leaders of the movement. To this day these groups have never mentioned it, no protests, etc. Abortion isn't really their issue, never has been. Israel, they consider their ally and besides taking control of Israel isn't their goal (at this time, it will come) -- minority, fascist control of America is the goal. Putting women, blacks, Hispanics, "the godless", anyone who rocks the boat, in their place is the goal.

Rule by fascist white men!
If you remember correctly in Mel Brooks history of the world there were originally 20 commandments. Then Moses dropped one tablet. :D Nobody can shove anything down your throat doc unless you open your mouth first. I'm less concerned about the Falwells of the world than I am the Iranian religious leaders that want to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. That is a conundrum you will have to figure out on your own. :roll:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... those Muslims read the 10 commandments as well -- same old testament. Just saying.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

While waiting for PizzaSnake’s response I’ll put this out there. I’m no Walter Martin. I don’t have all the answers to all the questions about what’s written in the Bible. I’ll try to answer them as best I can but again—I’m no scholar or expert.

Obviously not all professing Christians make Jesus look good. But I can’t judge and/or condemn them. I have to give an account of myself one Day so who am I to judge? Jesus forbad it anyway. In what has come to be known as the Sermon on the Mount, which is mainly encapsulated in chapters 5, 6 and 7 of Matthew’s gospel, Jesus said,

“Do not judge lest you be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7.1, 2

The only standard of measure I want, indeed, can stand to be measured by, given my past, is mercy (Matthew 5.7), so I can’t look at another person who calls themself a Christian and lives and/or acts in apparent contradiction to Scripture and condemn them. Only God knows what goes on in a persons heart, or where they are at this stage of their lives. The apostle Paul was in the midst of a hateful, misguided, ignorant campaign against Christians before Jesus set him straight and turned his life around (Acts 9). King David committed adultery and killed the woman's husband to cover up his sin--yet God forgave him after he repented (2 Samuel 12.13). Can I condemn particular actions that are sinful? Of course. We all can. It’s wrong to cheat on one’s spouse. It’s wrong to lie. It's wrong to kill another human being. It’s wrong to do a whole host of things enumerated in the Bible. The sin itself is condemnable. The person, certainly by me, or any other human being, is not.

I also don't do well with a number of questions all at once. Too much for this aging, soon-to-be 62 year old brain. It works best with one at a time. Again, I won’t be able to answer every question. No one can except the Author Himself. But I’m happy to try to explain what my understanding is from what I read, and have read in the Bible. If folks want to put one question to me at a time, in a respectful manner, I’ll try to answer in kind.

Finally, I don’t do well with insults. I don’t know anyone who does. The older I get, the less I want to engage with anyone who is nasty and/or insulting--so I am choosing more and more not to. There are some posters here who have burned their bridges with nastiness, insults or smears once too often for me to respond to them any longer--or at least at this point in my life. I'm grateful Matnum chose to include the Ignore feature for this forum. I have enough nasty condemning words from myself and others from my past rolling around in my heart and mind to struggle with. I don't have room for more.

So again--if folks want to pose questions, one question at a time, in a respectful, civil manner--I am happy to try to respond.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:30 pm ... those Muslims read the 10 commandments as well -- same old testament. Just saying.
Since your cherry picking the 10 commandments those Muslims and Christians as well struggle mightily with " thou shalt not kill" :roll:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:59 am While waiting for PizzaSnake’s response I’ll put this out there. I’m no Walter Martin. I don’t have all the answers to all the questions about what’s written in the Bible. I’ll try to answer them as best I can but again—I’m no scholar or expert.

Obviously not all professing Christians make Jesus look good. But I can’t judge and/or condemn them. I have to give an account of myself one Day so who am I to judge? Jesus forbad it anyway. In what has come to be known as the Sermon on the Mount, which is mainly encapsulated in chapters 5, 6 and 7 of Matthew’s gospel, Jesus said,

“Do not judge lest you be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7.1, 2

The only standard of measure I want, indeed, can stand to be measured by, given my past, is mercy (Matthew 5.7), so I can’t look at another person who calls themself a Christian and lives and/or acts in apparent contradiction to Scripture and condemn them. Only God knows what goes on in a persons heart, or where they are at this stage of their lives. The apostle Paul was in the midst of a hateful, misguided, ignorant campaign against Christians before Jesus set him straight and turned his life around (Acts 9). King David committed adultery and killed the woman's husband to cover up his sin--yet God forgave him after he repented (2 Samuel 12.13). Can I condemn particular actions that are sinful? Of course. We all can. It’s wrong to cheat on one’s spouse. It’s wrong to lie. It's wrong to kill another human being. It’s wrong to do a whole host of things enumerated in the Bible. The sin itself is condemnable. The person, certainly by me, or any other human being, is not.

I also don't do well with a number of questions all at once. Too much for this aging, soon-to-be 62 year old brain. It works best with one at a time. Again, I won’t be able to answer every question. No one can except the Author Himself. But I’m happy to try to explain what my understanding is from what I read, and have read in the Bible. If folks want to put one question to me at a time, in a respectful manner, I’ll try to answer in kind.

Finally, I don’t do well with insults. I don’t know anyone who does. The older I get, the less I want to engage with anyone who is nasty and/or insulting--so I am choosing more and more not to. There are some posters here who have burned their bridges with nastiness, insults or smears once too often for me to respond to them any longer--or at least at this point in my life. I'm grateful Matnum chose to include the Ignore feature for this forum. I have enough nasty condemning words from myself and others from my past rolling around in my heart and mind to struggle with. I don't have room for more.

So again--if folks want to pose questions, one question at a time, in a respectful, civil manner--I am happy to try to respond.
+1 When you start defending Christianity on this forum the FLP hate mongers will bring out their long knives and verbally eviscerate you. They will NEVER come strait out and admit it but they intensely despise Christians and Christianity in principle. That explains their hatred towards those folks they define as their arch enemy...WHITE NATIONALIST CHRISTIANS.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:59 am I’m no scholar or expert.
Just to flesh this out a bit. Being an expert or scholar doesn’t guarantee insight into the Bible, as demonstrated in these two passages in the King Jimmy. (That’s the King James Version to you). The first are the words of Jesus in Matthew’s gospel, 11th chapter, verses 25, 26:

“I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.”

The "babes" typified his disciples, who included fishermen and tax collectors, among others. In other words--"uneducated" men.

Then from the apostle Paul who wrote in 1st Corinthians, chapter 1, verses 19-29:

“For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: but we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; but unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: but God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; and base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: that no flesh should glory in his presence.”

All to say, and underscore again, that I don’t know all the answers to all questions about what’s in the Bible—along with every other human being living, or who ever has lived. Sometimes scholars and experts miss the boat entirely. Jesus regularly butted heads with the religious scholars and lawyers of his day. For all their learning and knowledge of the Scriptures (the Torah, the Psalms, the Prophets, and the rest of the Old Testament), they missed the Messiah, who lived and walked among them, because of their preconceived notions about what the Bible really meant. In all their knowledge—they greatly misinterpreted what they thought they knew about the Messiah—and they missed him to the point of having him executed.

In any event—I would never be mistaken for a scholar or an expert anyway. I’m just a blue collar, barely-high-school-educated scrub from a town in the city of Boston.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:48 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:59 am While waiting for PizzaSnake’s response I’ll put this out there. I’m no Walter Martin. I don’t have all the answers to all the questions about what’s written in the Bible. I’ll try to answer them as best I can but again—I’m no scholar or expert.

+1 When you start defending Christianity on this forum the FLP hate mongers will bring out their long knives and verbally eviscerate you. They will NEVER come strait out and admit it but they intensely despise Christians and Christianity in principle. That explains their hatred towards those folks they define as their arch enemy...WHITE NATIONALIST CHRISTIANS.
Cradle, do you jump to these conclusions just to increase the volume and aggressiveness of discussion? Please tell me you know our Constitution requires freedom of religion, and that "white nationalist" differentiates that specific group of Christians from others.
LaxFan2311

Post by LaxFan2311 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:32 am

Cradle, do you jump to these conclusions just to increase the volume and aggressiveness of discussion? Please tell me you know our Constitution requires freedom of religion, and that "white nationalist" differentiates that specific group of Christians from others.
You can’t even fill a stadium full of white nationalists in this country. That’s why the left has to fake every hate crime. If white nationalism exists at a large scale, why do you all have to fake racism? The biggest racists in this country are Democrats. Proven time and again. It never fails.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

LaxFan2311 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:39 am

You can’t even fill a stadium full of white nationalists in this country. That’s why the left has to fake every hate crime. If white nationalism exists at a large scale, why do you all have to fake racism? The biggest racists in this country are Democrats. Proven time and again. It never fails.
Actually white Christian nationalism does exist on a large scale, which is exactly why nobody has to fake racism.

https://www.prri.org/research/support-f ... 50-states/

That'll just be ignored. Don't let facts and respectable studies get in the way, right Petey? Wouldn't make for good trolling.
LaxFan2311

Post by LaxFan2311 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:55 pm

Actually white Christian nationalism does exist on a large scale, which is exactly why nobody has to fake racism.

That'll just be ignored. Don't let facts and respectable studies get in the way, right Petey? Wouldn't make for good trolling.
No it doesn’t. That’s laughable. The most violent crime is committed overwhelmingly per capita by minority groups to each other and to whites. Not the other way around. This is what cultism looks like. You’re in a cult.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LaxFan2311 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:02 pm

No it doesn’t. That’s laughable. The most violent crime is committed overwhelmingly per capita by minority groups to each other and to whites. Not the other way around. This is what cultism looks like. You’re in a cult.
So minorities commit violent crimes on each other, "therefore there's no such thing as White Nationalism".

Let me translate this answer to the forum, Pete.

Folks, what Pete is saying here is that the answer to the question "how many States are there in the United States"?

Is "fish". Quite the non sequitur from Petey.

Pete. Let me help you with your trolling.

What you tell SCLax is that the citation he gave is fake news. Or Dem propaganda. Or that Fauci is lying about White Nationalism.

Something like that. Come on, Pete! We know you can troll better than this! We have confidence you can do better!
LaxFan2311

Post by LaxFan2311 »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:18 pm

So minorities commit violent crimes on each other, "therefore there's no such thing as White Nationalism".

Folks, what Pete is saying here is that the answer to the question "how many States are there in the United States"?

What you tell SCLax is that the citation he gave is fake news. Or Dem propaganda. Or that Fauci is lying about White Nationalism.

Something like that. Come on, Pete! We know you can troll better than this! We have confidence you can do better!
Correct. There is no large contingency of white nationalism. It’s a boogeyman created by Democrats to deflect from the epidemic of black on black/white violence. This is why you live in an uppity area and not the inner city, where crime is rampant. Why is crime rampant in these locations? Because they’re run by Democrats. You’re really making yourself look horrible. It’s gonna be a long 4 years for you. Better lock your doors! White Christians with a strong nuclear family, work ethic and pay their taxes are coming for you. Clown
a fan

Post by a fan »

LaxFan2311 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:34 pm

It’s gonna be a long 4 years for you.
Oh, Pete. Pretending you don't remember our past exchanges. How cute!

Oh yes, the next four years of fat tax cuts are going to be REAL hard on America's coastal elite, what with their multiple degrees from top Unis, and six figure jobs.

How much is your boy Trump gonna cut my taxes by, Pete? And my stock portfolio, when he cuts the companies taxes that I own stock in... how much will its value go up??

What should I do?? Oh no!! Not tax cuts for the rich!!!

Focus your worry about your fellow White Christian Nationalists, who have lousy jobs, and live in the middle of nowhere. You that inflation you pretend to care about? What happens when Trump floods America with borrowed cash, Pete? And then keeps this money out of our Treasury by cutting taxes?

Think back to your UFLorida classes....assuming you actually attended any.

That's right, Petey: inflation. Something that benefits the top earners, and sticks it to Trump's working class base.

But hey, you're the smart guy here, Petey, not me. If this is what you want? Far be it for me to get in your way!

Fun chat, Pete! Thanks a ton!
LaxFan2311

Post by LaxFan2311 »

a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:59 pm
LaxFan2311 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:34 pm

It’s gonna be a long 4 years for you.
Oh, Pete. Pretending you don't remember our past exchanges. How cute!

Oh yes, the next four years of fat tax cuts are going to be REAL hard on America's coastal elite, what with their multiple degrees from top Unis, and six figure jobs.

How much is your boy Trump gonna cut my taxes by, Pete? And my stock portfolio, when he cuts the companies taxes that I own stock in... how much will its value go up??

What should I do?? Oh no!! Not tax cuts for the rich!!!

Focus your worry about your fellow White Christian Nationalists, who have lousy jobs, and live in the middle of nowhere. You that inflation you pretend to care about? What happens when Trump floods America with borrowed cash, Pete? And then keeps this money out of our Treasury by cutting taxes?

Think back to your UFLorida classes....assuming you actually attended any.

That's right, Petey: inflation. Something that benefits the top earners, and sticks it to Trump's working class base.

But hey, you're the smart guy here, Petey, not me. If this is what you want? Far be it for me to get in your way!

Fun chat, Pete! Thanks a ton!
Reported this post for trolling. This is nowhere near on topic and full of personal attacks on someone named Pete? Obsessing over someone whose name is Pete is creepy, strange and bizarre. What’s that meme/scene of the movie Billy Madison where Billy is debating and the moderator says that it was one of the dumbest things he’s ever heard? That’s what this post is. Maybe you and Pedo Joe can share a bed in hospice soon. Democrats have seriously lost their minds when facts are presented. They’re like girls during their time of the month.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LaxFan2311 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:05 pm

Reported this post for trolling. This is nowhere near on topic and full of personal attacks on someone named Pete? Obsessing over someone whose name is Pete is creepy, strange and bizarre. What’s that meme/scene of the movie Billy Madison where Billy is debating and the moderator says that it was one of the dumbest things he’s ever heard? That’s what this post is. Maybe you and Pedo Joe can share a bed in hospice soon. Democrats have seriously lost their minds when facts are presented. They’re like girls during their time of the month.
Still struggling with the trolling are we Petey?

I know, I know. Trolling is hard, and so is thinking.

Come on, Pete! You can do it! Troll better! Step up your game, my man!
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Fastest growing religion in merica, and the world!

https://www.spaghettimonster.org/

Some perks of being a Pastafarian:

Every Friday is a Religious Holiday
No Dues
Beer Volcano in the afterlife
Pirate Regalia at formal functions

Return to “POLITICS”