Navy 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2025

Post by youthathletics »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:07 pm OC excuses, really…this isn’t football. You need a couple guys that can dodge and shoot, or dodge and draw a slide and move the rock and get some off ball movement…everything else is window dressing to clear out slides.

John Wooden: Show me a good coach and I’ll show you good players…
When the dodger draws two and the hot slide stays on the double b/ there is no peel call, the two-fills, and the adjacent is covered so you can't freely move the rock, what what you teach your player to do differetnly?

A - Hail Mary skip
B - Run away and do it all over again
C - Thumb the ball to avoid the TO and just continue to the cage
D - ???

IMO, you are grossly oversimplifying, while giving zero credit to the defense and the goalie.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 8:15 am
FMUBart wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:07 pm OC excuses, really…this isn’t football. You need a couple guys that can dodge and shoot, or dodge and draw a slide and move the rock and get some off ball movement…everything else is window dressing to clear out slides.

When the dodger draws two and the hot slide stays on the double b/ there is no peel call, the two-fills, and the adjacent is covered so you can't freely move the rock, what what you teach your player to do differetnly?

A - Hail Mary skip
D - ???

IMO, you are grossly oversimplifying, while giving zero credit to the defense and the goalie.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Because it is "simple"..The "hot slide"(LOL) you refer to would mean the defender slid in the face of the ball carrier...whomever was covered by the sliding defenseman has to "show" for the ball--offense 101.. I think you're referring more to an aggressive double from the back of the ball carrier? In any event, if the defense has an effective two slide, then a skip will be necessary--got to believe that D1 lax players recognize this. Heck, for years SU never even ran an "offense" just had someone create and players adapt to that. There's no West Coast Offense like football, lacrosse should be more free flowing..

"Giving zero credit to defense and goalie", umm, what? If you can't beat your man, then props to the D...if the goalie is making difficult saves, props to him. Navy, and many PL teams, don't get to 10gs/game. That, my friend, is credit to the D.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 9:29 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 8:15 am

A - Hail Mary skip
D - ???

Because it is "simple"..The "hot slide"(LOL) you refer to would mean the defender slid in the face of the ball carrier...whomever was covered by the sliding defenseman has to "show" for the ball--offense 101.. I think you're referring more to an aggressive double from the back of the ball carrier? In any event, if the defense has an effective two slide, then a skip will be necessary--got to believe that D1 lax players recognize this. Heck, for years SU never even ran an "offense" just had someone create and players adapt to that. There's no West Coast Offense like football, lacrosse should be more free flowing..

"Giving zero credit to defense and goalie", umm, what? If you can't beat your man, then props to the D...if the goalie is making difficult saves, props to him. Navy, and many PL teams, don't get to 10gs/game. That, my friend, is credit to the D.
We agree on the concepts based on the scenario I presented, but your original comment of a couple guys that can dodge and shoot, falls short, when that feed to the O moving to get open from the 2nd slide guy, the AJ and the skip are covered.....which was Navy lacrosse for a very long time. Defenses had rather somewhat easier days playing Navy, while dropping poles on those couple top midfielders forcing them to spin everything through X, out the backside to only do the same thing over and over. The vast majority of our goals came out of playin the grey, when we no longer dodged to die.

The 'free flowing', is exactly the point I have been making for 10 years, yet it was not encouraged for many years. Then when someone like Parks or Phipps started to get things in the direction.....handcuffed or rolled out. Enter Ross, who was very calculating, very slow progress in that 'free flowing' design....more of what he was coached to do while at Duke, with a taste of OSU in there; it's almost like the entre staff was afraid to say.....lets blow this thing up. I look at it like what is happening with the Football Program. A new Coach, with a new 'current' vision of how the game is played to compete, bring in an OC that highly creative, utilizes his players to their stregths and not shoehorn then into the Triple Option every damned snap (dodge and die) concept.

We can be so much better....let's hope that time is now.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”