Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by stupefied »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:16 pm Great start for Syracuse but that’s a weak UVM team.

The thing to keep your eye on here will be SSDM, face offs, and off ball D.

We know the O is good. As they face better teams, curious as to how they look if Spalinna gets blanketed out quickly doubled. Who is their next dodging threat? Seems like it’s their middies actually. They move the ball well and crease play is phenomenal.
Mule can dodge but its more about the passing and catching ability of many on O. All three Cuse attack man, Spallina, Mule and Hiltz are excellent passers with vision and Thomson is excellent in that regard up top. Leo ,English and Rhoa are excellent dodgers while Birtwhistle and now McCarthy can rip from afar as can Cordes some when given opportunity. Stevens is a jack of all talents .
Agree on ssdm, depth was thinned by Aviles departure and Rosa injury so others will have to emerge. Rice is lead and more than competent. Cuse has a lot of unused poles that could be sourced . Trujillo was fine but Cuse will face some big miss , Clary is one that can replace the physicality lost with Rosa. Not sure status of Titus. Schedule will tell more about d coordination under OPdernia but Dwan has already displayed that he is a fine off ball d, ( (#11 rated recruit in 22, Barton of UNC was #11 in 21) . Kohn and Mullen appear to be a competent fogo duo.
molo

Post by molo »

Total domination against the Catamounts. Will Gate provide a test was their victory over PSU an aberration?
Finster

Post by Finster »

molo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:20 pm Total domination against the Catamounts. Will Gate provide a test was their victory over PSU an aberration?

Colgate benefited from first game scheduling, catching a better team unprepared. Coaches have to absorb the blame.

Syracuse won’t have a problem with Gate, as much as I love the Red Raiders.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:33 pm
molo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:20 pm Total domination against the Catamounts. Will Gate provide a test was their victory over PSU an aberration?

Colgate benefited from first game scheduling, catching a better team unprepared. Coaches have to absorb the blame.

Current betting line on draft kings is Cuse -8.5 which s saying its a aberration. That is awfully wide , assume it will contract some
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:11 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:33 pm

Current betting line on draft kings is Cuse -8.5 which s saying its a aberration. That is awfully wide , assume it will contract some
8.5 seems high. Beating PSU at Happy Valley is impressive opening game or not. Potential for the Classic following game letdown maybe impacting the line. As a Cuse fan I suspect a closer game.
Finster

Post by Finster »

For those interested in the history between Syracuse and Colgate, the series stands at 12 Colgate wins versus 49 Syracuse wins.

Interestingly, the 2008 national champions of Cuse lost at Colgate by 12-11.

The last 10 matchups have gone 7-3 Syracuse.

The last matchup was in 2020, where Syracuse won at home 21-14. I feel like today might be along those lines assuming Mark is pulled in the fourth quarter.

Colgates biggest problem today is going to be at FOGO. This years Syracuse team is not a team you will do well against if you’re getting no help from your FOGO. If their kid Hartzell can neutralize Kohn, they can make it closer than expected.
maddog29

Post by maddog29 »

Have had season tickets for over 30 years and was happily surprised at ball movement after the first 8-10 minutes ( Hiltz threw the ball away unforced the first three times he passed lol ). Nice off-ball movement and crisp passing most of the game by mids. and att. Mason and Mullen both looked solid vs. a lesser FO group. Poles played a bunch more physical than I've seen in 8 or more seasons and were pretty good at CTO's. Mark let in 3-4 soft goals early but seemed to right the ship later. McCool fared okay in mop-up duty as well. SSDM is a problem ( I heard somewhere that Rosa is out for the year) and little Spallina played quite a few shifts; also Landon Clary played only as a SSDM even though still listed at D. Every transfer played well - Stevens, English, Wright, Mule, Mason etc. - Gait was able to plug some definite holes. I think tonight's contest will give an idea of where the Orange are - if Gate can go to State College and win they are at least more than thought of for sure.
I have better hopes for SU than in the last few seasons, but the schedule is really tough. They play 8 of the top 10 - YIKES! Its early but hope things go well!

Go Orange :D
DMac

Post by DMac »

Triple bonus day:
1. The sky is blue and the sun is shining.....been a loooong time since we've seen that.
2. Alicia's back from Florida and will be on at the watering hole for a little day drinking.
(no alcohol for me...last couple of days of antibiotics)
3. From the watering hole to the Dome for Gate v Cuse.
I'm calling that a good day!!!
Alicia:
Finster

Post by Finster »

maddog29 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:42 am Have had season tickets for over 30 years and was happily surprised at ball movement after the first 8-10 minutes ( Hiltz threw the ball away unforced the first three times he passed lol ). Nice off-ball movement and crisp passing most of the game by mids. and att. Mason and Mullen both looked solid vs. a lesser FO group. Poles played a bunch more physical than I've seen in 8 or more seasons and were pretty good at CTO's. Mark let in 3-4 soft goals early but seemed to right the ship later. McCool fared okay in mop-up duty as well. SSDM is a problem ( I heard somewhere that Rosa is out for the year) and little Spallina played quite a few shifts; also Landon Clary played only as a SSDM even though still listed at D. Every transfer played well - Stevens, English, Wright, Mule, Mason etc. - Gait was able to plug some definite holes. I think tonight's contest will give an idea of where the Orange are - if Gate can go to State College and win they are at least more than thought of for sure.
I have better hopes for SU than in the last few seasons, but the schedule is really tough. They play 8 of the top 10 - YIKES! Its early but hope things go well!

Go Orange :D

That’s a good summary.

This year’s squad is measurably better than last year. Depending on injuries and leadership, they will be a hard out for any team.
Finster

Post by Finster »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:45 am Triple bonus day:
1. The sky is blue and the sun is shining.....been a loooong time since we've seen that.
2. Alicia's back from Florida and will be on at the watering hole for a little day drinking.
Alicia:

I’ve learned to never ask any man if that’s a daughter or girlfriend, so all I’ll say is you got a winner. Congrats!
Have fun tonight at the game.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wise man. Not a daughter or GF, just a sweetie of a bartender.
Gorgeous girl but her greatest asset is her personality/disposition.
A winner indeed...5'10".
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:45 am Triple bonus day:
Alicia:
Sorry to hear your on Anti-biotics. Hope you are getting well. Those things can make you feel like crap. Enjoy the game , and I know you don't want to hear this but I hope Colgate keeps it close.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

The Colgate defensive strategy of let Joey Spallina sit behind the cage with his hands free while his Canadian teammates cut inside for 10 seconds may be the dumbest coaching game plan I’ve ever seen.. He may finish with 10 assists today.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Laxguy703 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:27 pm The Colgate defensive strategy of let Joey Spallina sit behind the cage with his hands free while his Canadian teammates cut inside for 10 seconds may be the dumbest coaching game plan I’ve ever seen.. He may finish with 10 assists today.
Very odd. Also leaving Cuse wide open outside of 10 yards when ball is at X.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Helter Skelter, frenetic sloppy play

Cuse blitzed Gate early, dominated possession and up 5 in first five minutes, gotta credit Colgate for sticking with it

2nd half could be interesting. Cuse fogos gotta get back to dominating
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Does Mule want some turkey with that stuffin'? :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Spallina is in the Tewaarton convo.

Kohn was a fantastic addition, him and Mullen making a huge difference

Cuse O is a racecar with horsepower galore despite the occasional sputtering
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

He’s moving quickly to the top of the list,

these guys are just boat-racing teams.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:19 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:16 pm Great start for Syracuse but that’s a weak UVM team.

The thing to keep your eye on here will be SSDM, face offs, and off ball D.

We know the O is good. As they face better teams, curious as to how they look if Spalinna gets blanketed out quickly doubled. Who is their next dodging threat? Seems like it’s their middies actually. They move the ball well and crease play is phenomenal.
Mule
Yea? He’s looked a bit pedestrian thus far.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

stupefied wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:51 pm Spallina is in the Tewaarton convo.

Kohn was a fantastic addition, him and Mullen making a huge difference

Cuse O is a racecar with horsepower galore despite the occasional sputtering
O'Neil
Shellenberger
Kirst
Kavanaugh
Spallina

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”