Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Fischer

Re: Transfer portal

Post by Fischer »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:47 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:46 pm I don’t remember the names of all of the HS 2021s who committed while in eighth grade prior to the rule change in April 2017, but I seem to recall there were about eight of them.
And I believe none of them met expectations. Lots changes in 4 years.
I thought wurz was the first in 8th commuting to cuse
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Fischer wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:09 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:47 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:46 pm I don’t remember the names of all of the HS 2021s who committed while in eighth grade prior to the rule change in April 2017, but I seem to recall there were about eight of them.
And I believe none of them met expectations. Lots changes in 4 years.
I thought wurz was the first in 8th commuting to cuse
CW was a 2020. Most the top 2020s committed in 8th grade. The 2021s are the class that had the rule change as things were getting rolling for them in 8th grade. My daughter was literally on a visit the day before the vote and the coach said there was no way the rule change was going to pass. Not only did the rule change pass but it was effective immediately meaning that all contact was cutoff that day until 9/1 2.5 years later.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Speaking of top ranked 2021s, Summer Agostino is in the portal. So the girls ranked 3,4 and 5 in the final 2021 rankings are all moving on from their original school.
Wheeler199

Post by Wheeler199 »

Is there a website or link to the portal?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Wheeler199 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:04 pm Is there a website or link to the portal?
IL women will occasionally post about it and do an update maybe once every 2 months.. that's about as close as you'll get to seeing any official list.
Last edited by Kleizaster on Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:56 pm Speaking of top ranked 2021s, Summer Agostino is in the portal. So the girls ranked 3,4 and 5 in the final 2021 rankings are all moving on from their original school.
wonder if that is because the school had unrealistic expectations of the kids or if the kids had unrealistic expectations of their playing time/success?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:23 pm
hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:56 pm Speaking of top ranked 2021s, Summer Agostino is in the portal. So the girls ranked 3,4 and 5 in the final 2021 rankings are all moving on from their original school.
wonder if that is because the school had unrealistic expectations of the kids or if the kids had unrealistic expectations of their playing time/success?
Well LoPinto is a 2x AA. Playing time has nothing to do with why she's leaving. BC and MD are tough places to get on the field. Those teams have more HS AAs sitting on their sidelines watching than most schools have on their whole roster. Throw in all the COVID 5th years coming back every year that the 2021s have been on campus and it's been a very difficult situation.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

That 2021 class is looking rough. I think it was just a combo of alot of bad factors. All these girls are all still very talented. Best players out of that class are Lopinto and Rachel Clark. The Hasselbecks haven't really been able to do much either at BC it wouldn't surprise me if they hit the portal this year or next
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:27 pm
That 2021 class is looking rough. Best players out of that class are Lopinto and Rachel Clark. The Hasselbecks haven't really been able to do much either at BC it wouldn't surprise me if they hit the portal this year or next
You left off Sammy White and Samantha Smith that both just won a natty. Sammy being MVP of the championship game. BWW at UNC is a star.

The 2021 class is interesting. If you look at the top 20 ranked players most of them have been solid contributors and many of them are starters. But, the one's that haven't are ranked 1,2,3,5 and 6. 19 tore an ACL both years.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Let’s get this forum back on track to the portal, not who committed in 2015!!!!
Anyone have real g2 rather than speculation? I certainly dont!
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:20 pm Let’s get this forum back on track to the portal, not who committed in 2015!!!!
Anyone have real g2 rather than speculation? I certainly dont!
Unfortunately, the only way you’re going to know is if somebody knows somebody who knows somebody lol. If someone talks to somebody that has actual information and then they post it on here. Or if somebody transfers from the team that somebody’s daughter is actually on.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

That 2021 class is looking rough. I think it was just a combo of alot of bad factors. All these girls are all still very talented. Best players out of that class are Lopinto and Rachel Clark. The Hasselbecks haven't really been able to do much either at BC it wouldn't surprise me if they hit the portal this year or next
I think there is literally zero chance the Hasselbecks leave the school at which their parents met, starred in their respective sports and have always supported. Can we please apply some little grey cells?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:39 pm
I think there is literally zero chance the Hasselbecks leave the school at which their parents met, starred in their respective sports and have always supported. Can we please apply some little grey cells?
So if they're riding the bench and struggling to get regular playing time, in an era where everyone else is transferimg and thriving elsewhere, they should ignore their happiness and future just to please mom and dad? Maybe think about that
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Wheeler199 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:04 pm Is there a website or link to the portal?
here you go

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nter/61688
DMac

Post by DMac »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:44 pm
So if they're riding the bench and struggling to get regular playing time, in an era where everyone else is transferimg and thriving elsewhere, they should ignore their happiness and future just to please mom and dad? Maybe think about that
Getting in, scoring, throwing assists, been to FFs and NC games. Do we know that it's current and future gloom for the Hasselbecks?
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

I tend to agree with sea and bill here. The vast majority of players who warm the bench don’t transfer unless they are really unhappy. Only a small fraction chase playing time.
Undergrad transfers are still the rare exception.
Hasselbecks would need to value playing time over friends, community, team, colllege experience.
For every player that enters the portal, there are 50+ players who make peace with their place on the team—-because most of the time it’s reflective of their relative ability in college.
And I suspect that for most undergraduate portal participants who weren’t seeing much field time at their original school, the impetus to transfer comes as much or more from their disappointed parents than from the player.
For those players that are very unhappy with the coach and don’t feel like they fit in with the team or the university, I think the portal is great. I just think that describes a very very small group of players.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

I tend to agree with sea and bill here. The vast majority of players who warm the bench don’t transfer unless they are really unhappy. Only a small fraction chase playing time.
Undergrad transfers are still the rare exception.
Hasselbecks would need to value playing time over friends, community, team, colllege experience.
For every player that enters the portal, there are 50+ players who make peace with their place on the team—-because most of the time it’s reflective of their relative ability in college.
And I suspect that for most undergraduate portal participants who weren’t seeing much field time at their original school, the impetus to transfer comes as much or more from their disappointed parents than from the player.
For those players that are very unhappy with the coach and don’t feel like they fit in with the team or the university, I think the portal is great. I just think that describes a very very small group of players.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Honestly I don’t know them, and maybe you do and can speak to how they feel, but the student athlete experience is so much bigger that just time on the field.

IMO it’s almost insulting to jump to the conclusion that a player’s dissatisfaction at a school must only be related to personal/individual on-field success.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:39 pm
Getting in, scoring, throwing assists, been to FFs and NC games. Do we know that it's current and future gloom for the Hasselbecks?
But they’d play more at Coastal Carolina!!
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:43 am
DMac wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:39 pm
But they’d play more at Coastal Carolina!!
'

:lol: I am reminded of a line from the movie, The Blind Side ... "Michael, why do you want to do to school at Ole Miss?' Reply: "Because it's where my family goes to school."

Again, there are thousands of reasons to decide to transfer ... and in most cases multiple factors that drive the decision.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”