New England West-1 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
admin
Site Admin

Re: New England West-1 2019

Post by admin »

NEWestFan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:55 pmOff Lax commitment lists because he is highly ranked by NHL Central Scouting and (unfortunately) won't likely play College Lax.
Wow. That's a shame. Fun to watch. At the college level, he'd be special. Over and over, the kid's open but the O doesn't see him. If they got the ball to him, with his shot, he'd score a LOT of goals.

10-1. this is crazy. Can any of y'all think of a similar blow-out. Keep in mind, BL's been playing well, winning, etc. before this game.

Is Brendan Grimes on the field?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

10-2 final. Great win for Wick and they actually played a sloppy game, throwing away a bunch of early season passes. To admin, BL was down 7-0 at the end of the first to Haverford this year before making the 15–10 final a little more respectable. Other than that, no, BL is not usually taken to the woodshed like this but Wick has evolved into a pretty fearsome program.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Wick's D was definitely impressive. Very active and aggressive (but not overly so). And goalie did a great job cleaning up a few key ones, especially at the beginning. Otherwise very sloppy on both sides. BL fogo was pretty solid, exits could use a little work (but also a testament to Wick's wingers for cleaning up ground balls), looked like he was winning a lot of clamps. Also agree Wick's #14 was impressive, guess i need to see him play hockey!
grelch

Post by grelch »

BL has 4 wins, but I don't think this is one of their MIAA title challenging teams. I could be wrong but I get the impression from what i've read here and there that they're just a solid team this year. Not taking away from Wick's win. Any win over a BL side is noteworthy, particularly when it's such a lopsided win.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

Spread should be Wick -10 against DA.

Deerfield doesn't have the horses for this one. Should be another rout. Tough to start the year 0-2
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:00 pm Spread should be Wick -10 against DA.

Deerfield doesn't have the horses for this one. Should be another rout. Tough to start the year 0-2
I will disagree on this. Don't overestimate Wick's beating BL as if the Bruins are suddenly King Kong of lax; BL has issues they are dealing with now which will limit their season's effectiveness.

I would expect DA to fight way harder than BL and keep this game way more respectable. Wick also runs the risk of going into the game with their arch-nemesis overconfident, which as a coach is one of the most pernicious side effects of a good team victory.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

grelch wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:04 pm BL has 4 wins, but I don't think this is one of their MIAA title challenging teams. I could be wrong but I get the impression from what i've read here and there that they're just a solid team this year. Not taking away from Wick's win. Any win over a BL side is noteworthy, particularly when it's such a lopsided win.

This was BL's third absolute drubbing this season and if they're not careful with chemistry and character, not their last. Both McDonogh and Calvert Hall have the ability, though perhaps not the temperament (most of these guys are area friends and don't really like to run up the score on kids they see the same night at parties in the Baltimore area), to put a much worse hurt on the Lakers this year.

You are correct: BL has a decent team, but their talent rests mostly with their sophomores and in two cases, freshmen. Their 'heralded' attackman is a junior, but I believe he is currently over-estimated by the more knowledgeable scouts of IL.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

BL's issues aside, northeast schools are at a pretty big disadvantage in these March match ups, playing their first games against teams starting to hit their strides. Case in point, Deerfield at Torrey Pines. So extra kudos to Brunswick.

Deerfield hosts Belmont Hill today, giving them another dress rehearsal before league play begins. Looks like it's actually a game this year, instead of a scrimmage. Belmont Hill should have their usual athletic and well coached squad, but Deerfield handled them in past scrimmages according to what was shared on LP.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

It will be interesting to see how Wick develops over the next few games. It's very tough to ever bet against Brunswick, and I know it was their first game (hence wanting to see how they clean things up going forward)... but from what I watched last night the result was more based on Wick's dominant defense and BL's inability to maintain possession and stop outside shots. Only saw one goal near the crease by #4 on a really nice play (note: didn't see all 10 goals). The result is more about only 2 goals against vs 10 scored. A couple of those 10 scored were man up goals. Time of course will tell, but I think it will be very competitive between Wick, Salisbury and DA... and still Salisbury's to lose with what they have on paper.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Anyone know if the Salisbury and/or Deerfield game will have live-stream's?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Not sure. Salisbury seems to be listing it as a game, Darien as a scrimmage. They have played for years at the beginning of the season and it is always a scrimmage so I have to think that this year’s is too. If that is the case, I doubt Darien would stream it and I don’t think Salisbury streams away games.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Would have to be a scrimmage because I believe CIAC schools are still prohibited from playing teams that have PGs. Darien streams a lot of games on youtube, but don't think they've ever done it for scrimmages, so not likely to get any footage today. I hope I'm wrong: I thought Salisbury's stream last year was pretty good quality, as was the play on both sides for two teams just getting warmed up before the season.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Most likely Salisbury v Darien won't be streamed as it is only a scrimmage.

To your point Laxxal22- huge disadvantage for early season match ups for NE West 1 schools-
Salisbury opens up with Georgetown Prep this weekend who have already played 7 games. Then they travel to play Haverford next week who will have already played 8. Big difference in game readiness I suspect.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Just a little "Devil's advocate"... could be argued they're not at that much of a disadvantage. A lot of NE West1 schools take spring trips to FL or CA, i know Salisbury, AOF, Taft and Westminster were all in Florida. Depending on how the coaches utilize their time and if they have enough resources, might actually be at an advantage! Resources in the means of having tape and scouting reports from the 7 actual games their competitor's have played. And being able to play games on their spring trip. I heard Salisbury's FL trip got a bit derailed with IMG and UT canceling games on them, so that stinks. Side note: if i were a coach i would be pretty pissed. The amount of money they (and the family's) spend to have their kids down there and the primary games get canceled, yikes. Anyhow, just stirring the pot. I think Salisbury will be prepared.
grelch

Post by grelch »

UT as in U of Tampa? I'm pretty sure they played. I saw photos of that scrimmage on twitter, and someone here mentioned that it was a very chippy game. Anyway, imo scrimmages are helpful in getting teams ready for regular season, but they don't replace real games. I think this will be true in particular for a team like Salisbury's given the sheer number of new players they have this year. They have to find their best partnerships, learn tendencies etc. This happened with their hockey team last winter. They lost 2 early season games heavily that they should have won because they were still figuring each other out, and then blew through the rest of their schedule.

Here's IL's write up w/ highlights of Wick's win last night, btw.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ssed/54097

And I know this isn't a NEW1 game, but the Fords play Salisbury pretty soon so consider it a little scouting. Culver v Haverford stream:

https://www.laxsportsnetwork.com/home
Last edited by grelch on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Thank you. I stand corrected, apparently UT canceled on AOF... my apologies for the misinformation! And don't disagree with your points, very valid as you state with a team like Salisbury, having a lot of new players. We'll see how the game/scrimmage goes vs Darien tonight!
ausus

Post by ausus »

Does anyone have the password to the Loomis vs Nobles livestream? They advertised the stream but it's password protected...

Link to the livestream: https://www.loomischaffee.org/athletics ... livestream
grelch

Post by grelch »

AOF v USMAPS stream:

https://www.avonoldfarms.com/athletics/live-stream

AOF wins 13-8
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

Loomis survives a late Nobles surge to win 9-8
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

I think Salisbury was up 6-3 or 6-4 when they put all of their backups in. I think after that the final score ended up 7-7 but not positive.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”