Hobart 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2019

Post by Farfromgeneva »

4-10 last year, missed conference playoffs we always were in the finals of since joining for first time.

St Bonaventure should be treated the 1990 Orange and Cuse should be treated like the 1927 Yankees. For that matter we lost to every team left on our schedule other than SBU last year.

I agree it’s not likely to be a challenging game but I hope we treat it like an existential threat.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Totally agree with Farfromgeneva on respecting every opponent , especially St. Bonny tonight , it is D1 lacrosse! Then ,prepare for Syracuse, a team we have NOT beaten in Geneva since 1986....33 years ago....now that is a legacy game for this team, and you better believe that Syracuse will not be taking the game lightly. PROTECT THE BOZ & GOBART!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We all joke about flying fish but who’s going to have the courage to chuck a few? Maybe Jamie Archer in support d his son???
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Flying fish? Anyone remember the last time that happened? I don't remember the year, but it was in Geneva at night. We were playing on McCooey Field. There was under a minute left and we had the momentum and the ball. The game was tied. Someone through a $%&/ fish. It wasn´t the first, and the ref had already warned that it it happened again, there would be a penalty. The fish flew, the whistle blew, possession to SU, clock starts, SU runs it down and scores ... game over. No fish please!
Regarding St. Bonnie´s ... all respect to a new program. They´ve done a good job starting other programs there, so it won´t be long before they are not a walkover. Best way for us to respect them is to go out sharp, score early, take control, dominate every aspect of the game. If we can get up by 8 or 10, then I like the idea of clearing the bench. Get everyone out there, and get some of the guys who have been itching to score into the action. I´d be really happy to see Simas score a few. I´d like to see Yanko out there ... I´d like to see Birch running. I want to see Imburgia running. I wouldn´t mind CJ, Jake Drennen, or Doc in the goal at some point. But all of that depends on going out and taking it right away. A Bonnie win, or even a tight game, would make their season.
It´s a beautiful day for lacrosse.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bartman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:27 am prepare for Syracuse, a team we have NOT beaten in Geneva since 1986....33 years ago
Man, that was one for the ages, ranks in the top five most fun games I've ever been at.
Here's 3/4s of it.....no idea why all sixty minutes isn't there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9QRW8ffxMY
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:49 pm
Bartman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:27 am prepare for Syracuse, a team we have NOT beaten in Geneva since 1986....33 years ago
Man, that was one for the ages, ranks in the top five most fun games I've ever been at.
You know why . . .

2046 - Google is run by a Syracuse grad . . . he puts out the word from General Intel HQ, run by George Orwell's spiritual descendant from 1984 . . . the 1986 game was won by the Orange with a massive late rally, but footage of the rally was misplaced so the history books all need re-writing.

And that's how the Orange managed to start the process to reverse the reason why the Kraus-Simmons trophy had not left Geneva since 2019 . . .
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

We had them in 95 and gave up a last second goal to lose 18-17 on an epically muddy Boz.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

When they're hot they're hot, but when they're not they're not. I like everything about this team except the slow starts. Wasn't impressed with the slow start against Bonnie. But hopefully we have Mott, Mueller, and Simas ready for SU. The guys are beat tiired, and can use a weekend off.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

You could almost feel the lack of focus through the video feed. Yes a win is a win. But that was FUGLY against a first year program. It was great to get our reserves in and it seemed that everyone dressed , played. Come Tuesday, the team needs to learn how to start a game with focus and energy. If not, Cuse will roll us with ease. The offense took 70 shots and hit on 18 of them. Not a pretty display. Accuracy has been on the decline since the Cornell game, Time to stay late with a bucket of balls and work on your mechanics. The Bonnies will learn from this game and get better. They have some young talent and the goalie in the second half (Mazur?) made some solid saves. Hope the team gets a couple of days rest as they have played 3 games in 9 days. No easy games from now on.
manyhats

Post by manyhats »

faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The Statesmen look good! 8-1 is an amazing result. Good luck against 'Cuse.
rollbart

Post by rollbart »

I think that the result (and play) from yesterday is being construed by some. The boys played well, and an 18-8 victory (even if it is a first year program) is nothing to be ashamed of. Here are a couple of my big takeaways:

1. Fatigue. It’s completely reasonable (and probable) to think that some of these kids were beaten down and battered after a string of games in the past 9 or 10 days. I understand these are D1 athletes we’re talking about here, but cut them some slack. They’ve been busting their asses all season (and especially as of late), and they should be tired. I think we just need to take these next couple days to refuel and reload for Tuesday.

2. Depth. I don’t know if many were watching through the late 3rd to 4th quarters, but we circulated a lot of subs, and tried out some players I haven’t seen much (or at all) this season. From what I saw, I feel pretty good about the future. The stick skills were good (could be better, but also could’ve been some game-situation anxiety), they seemed to run the offense like usual, and I didn’t see any glaring red flags for our future. Like I said, I feel good.

3. Injury. We’ve had a few players in and out throughout the season, but I’m glad to see we got a few back, but unfortunately at the expense of a few. Avedisian was a big plus to have back, and it seemed like he was back to his normal self without any real hitch in his game. He did get banged up and hobbled off after one play (don’t exactly remember when), but it didn’t seem to affect him and I’m sure he’ll be fine. I saw Knox got banged up on a play too, but he played later in the game, so that should be a non-issue. However, I did not see Mott or Sherman out there. I haven’t heard anything about any severe injuries (knock on wood), so hopefully they’ll be back for Tuesday.

At the end of the day, we won, and 8-1 has a nice ring to it. To say I’m excited for Tuesday is an understatement. Go Statesmen!
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Heard Mott expects to be back for SU. Same with Simas. Same with Mueller.
Of the 70 shots, about 10 hit the posts. I thought the only FUGLY part was quarter 1. After that, it was like a switch was hit. But we need 4 full quarters against SU. Should be packed!
manyhats

Post by manyhats »

Bartman

Post by Bartman »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:49 pm
Thanks for this, I wish the entire game was available, but for 3/4 s this was awesome. I heard the official attendence was 8,500, but they say it was close to 10,000. The '86 game was televised, but everyone chose to come out on a great day! These days, it feels like the students prefer to watch eveything on their phone. I for one, will not miss this game and hope the students and community support the Statesmen and break the 33 year drought. First win against the Cuse under the lights on Tuesday!
DMac

Post by DMac »

It was pretty much expected by most that you bring a six pack with you to the stands at the Boz, too (much different times). That added a little something extra to the crowd.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s thay week, so apologies DMac,but....

Suck it Syracuse. Pay attention to everyone else on your schedule and all the press pointing out that Hobart was pretty much the only sure win in the schedule. Feel free to roll in cocksure and let the buddy passes fly as we won’t have the athletes to make those plays have consequences.

Thanks,

Mgt.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

:lol:
I want a Tues win as much as anyone, but IMO it would be frosting on the cake at the end of the season. More important to win the NEC. The weekend results suggest the NEC is a toss-up unless we actively win it. MSM handled SHU better than we did. Bryant handled Wagner better than we did. Looks like RoMo played well agaist SJU. Would love the win against SU, but come Wednesday, win or lose, its all about Saturday. That will be about the coaching ... I hope we saw our midseason slump against SHU and have weathered it.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:23 pm It’s thay week, so apologies DMac,but....

Suck it Syracuse. Pay attention to everyone else on your schedule and all the press pointing out that Hobart was pretty much the only sure win in the schedule. Feel free to roll in cocksure and let the buddy passes fly as we won’t have the athletes to make those plays have consequences.

Thanks,

Mgt.
:lol:
I understand the sentiment, ffg. The only thing that would surprise me about this one is if it wasn't the typical Bart-Cuse war. This would be a big win for the Staesmen on a of couple levels, big confidence builder too. Whoever said Bart was the only sure win on Cuse's schedule must not have been paying attention for the last half century or so. Cuse can't show up like they did in South Bend and take the first half off if they want to win this one, that loss isn't helping the Statesmen, Cuse has gotta have the W here. Am not thinking they'll show up cocksure, think they'll show up a little hungry.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Agree with DMac. Think Cuse will come out on fire and we CANNOT start slow on D the way we have all season. LaxGunea is right MSM and RMU are playing every bit as well, if not better, than we've been playing lately. While the Statesmen aren't playing poorly, there is a lot they need to tighten up if we want to win the NEC. That will not be easy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”