NCAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
oldtimelax

Re: NCAC 2023

Post by oldtimelax »

Today is a huge game for Kenyon. After their success last season, they expected to compete with Denison for the title, and felt they had finally gotten over the hump against OWU. Last week's second half collapse vs. the Bishops didn't help their team psyche, but I can imagine this week's practices were spirited. Kenyon's chances today begin and end with their excellent FOGO, Thomas Nelson, who has won 75% this year. If he can control the X, then Kenyon has a chance to control the tempo of the game. Denison also has an excellent freshman FOGO, Grant Larson who's rolling at about a 75% win rate. Should be fun to watch....
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Congratulations to the Owls! The NCAC looks like it’s going to be a battle to the end for the AQ. OWU beats Kenyon, Kenyon beats Denison …… Wooster and OWU have the inside track at this point.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Wow, seems just about anything can happen in the NCAC this year. Denison looked in control until Kenyon converted three goals on an unreleasable 2-minute. Then, down the final stretch, Kenyon showed poise and determination to seal a historic comeback.
bulldodge97

Post by bulldodge97 »

Shaping up to be a wild year in the NCAC. Truly looks like it could be anyone's year. Wooster vs. Denison on Wednesday will tell us a lot about both of these teams. Then, a loaded slate on Tuesday the 11th. The NCAC is no longer a cake walk for Denny/OWU...love to see it.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

I think we will learn more about Wooster this Wednesday. While their B2B wins in Colorado a couple weeks ago are solid, their resume (for competition) this year isnt as good as the one Denison had played. Good that they (Wooster) are playing at home.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:12 pm Wow, seems just about anything can happen in the NCAC this year. Denison looked in control until Kenyon converted three goals on an unreleasable 2-minute. Then, down the final stretch, Kenyon showed poise and determination to seal a historic comeback.
I replayed that penalty play four times. It was a simple late hit to the body. Garden variety 1 minute releasable penalty. The refs somehow thought it was a cross check to the head. Denison still should have won the game, but Kenyon would not have won without that call. People love to complain about referee calls, but they rarely affect the outcome of the game. This one truly did.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Tough call to make, considering there wasn't direct contact to the head (IMO) and probably should have been a 1 minute penalty.

Denison was still up by a couple of goals after the penalty expired (even extended it to a 3 goal lead) but credit to Kenyon for overcoming the deficit with less than 8 minutes to go in the 4th.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Can Opener...tough to see on the video but it does look like Big Red player led with his shoulder but there was contact with the head as Kenyon player fell to the ground.

However, Denison was up by three goals with five minutes to play and up by two with just over a minute to play. That penalty was in the third quarter...

I don't agree with your analysis. It did not decide the game.
bulldodge97

Post by bulldodge97 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:11 pm I think we will learn more about Wooster this Wednesday. While their B2B wins in Colorado a couple weeks ago are solid, their resume (for competition) this year isnt as good as the one Denison had played. Good that they (Wooster) are playing at home.
Agreed, Leonard. I'm impressed with Wooster's 11-0 start, but their resume lacks that signature win so far. Wednesday gives them that chance
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

oldtimelax wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:38 pm Can Opener...tough to see on the video but it does look like Big Red player led with his shoulder but there was contact with the head as Kenyon player fell to the ground.

However, Denison was up by three goals with five minutes to play and up by two with just over a minute to play. That penalty was in the third quarter...

The play occurs at 1:22:00 of the video at this link:
https://www.northcoastnetwork.com/kenyon/?B=529657

I don’t see any contact to the head with the initial shoulder hit or as the Kenyon player goes to the ground. His head never moves backward until he makes contact with the ground. The ref said there was “direct contact with the head,” but there was not. I understand these are bang bang plays, but this was a bad miss by the refs. I don’t think there is a lot of dispute about that, but we can agree to disagree on the penalty’s impact on the outcome. Denison had to play for 2 minutes man down and without its number one pole and gave up three goals during his absence. Of course that didn’t mean an automatic win for Kenyon, but that sequence let them back into a game they trailed 10-5 with all momentum going to the Big Red.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Clean hit in terms of contact, as far as I can see.
It could be argued that it was a bit late and he came from a distance away. Ball was gone when he made the hit.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

ergit wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:14 pm Clean hit in terms of contact, as far as I can see.
It could be argued that it was a bit late and he came from a distance away. Ball was gone when he made the hit.
He was one or two steps too late for sure. Deserved to feel shame, but not 2 min unreleasable.
droliver

Post by droliver »

ergit wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:14 pm Clean hit in terms of contact, as far as I can see.
No dog in this fight, but that was an absurd call. I don't even see a foul, much less a 2 min un-releasable one
BIGDAWG

Post by BIGDAWG »

Denison fans need to stop making excuses for their loss and own up to their own failures. Got to win all 60 minutes of the game, and clearly they didn't do that! Blaming penalties and refs shows where the culture of the program is and a complete lack of personal accountability. Now they will feel the wrath of the Fighting Scots on Wednesday.
ergit

Post by ergit »

BIGDAWG wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:08 am Denison fans need to stop making excuses for their loss and own up to their own failures. Got to win all 60 minutes of the game, and clearly they didn't do that! Blaming penalties and refs shows where the culture of the program is and a complete lack of personal accountability. Now they will feel the wrath of the Fighting Scots on Wednesday.
People comment here and you make assumptions about the team culture.
The two really aren’t connected.
Long term, results speak for themselves. Right?
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

droliver wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:09 pm
No dog in this fight, but that was an absurd call. I don't even see a foul, much less a 2 min un-releasable one
I don't have a dog in this either, but if you see the still shot, the Kenyon player had gotten off the shot, the Denison player was coming in late and commits a cross check and a possible helmet on helmet hit. Three officials all threw their flags. To say nothing happened is what is absurd....
Last edited by oldtimelax on Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIGDAWG

Post by BIGDAWG »

ergit wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:27 am
BIGDAWG wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:08 am Denison fans need to stop making excuses for their loss and own up to their own failures. Got to win all 60 minutes of the game, and clearly they didn't do that! Blaming penalties and refs shows where the culture of the program is and a complete lack of personal accountability. Now they will feel the wrath of the Fighting Scots on Wednesday.
Just connecting the dots. If that bothers you, I'd assume I'm on to something. Correlation always means causation buckaroo.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:29 pm
oldtimelax wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:38 pm Can Opener...tough to see on the video but it does look like Big Red player led with his shoulder but there was contact with the head as Kenyon player fell to the ground.

The play occurs at 1:22:00 of the video at this link:
https://www.northcoastnetwork.com/kenyon/?B=529657

I don’t see any contact to the head with the initial shoulder hit or as the Kenyon player goes to the ground. His head never moves backward until he makes contact with the ground. The ref said there was “direct contact with the head,” but there was not. I understand these are bang bang plays, but this was a bad miss by the refs. I don’t think there is a lot of dispute about that, but we can agree to disagree on the penalty’s impact on the outcome. Denison had to play for 2 minutes man down and without its number one pole and gave up three goals during his absence. Of course that didn’t mean an automatic win for Kenyon, but that sequence let them back into a game they trailed 10-5 with all momentum going to the Big Red.
Horrible call
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

It was a penalty just not the correct one was called. It was unnecessary roughness as the defender was late. He did use his shoulder and it was not to the head or neck. It should have just been a one minute penalty, certainly not 2 minutes full time.
ergit

Post by ergit »

BIGDAWG wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:35 am
ergit wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:27 am
Just connecting the dots. If that bothers you, I'd assume I'm on to something. Correlation always means causation buckaroo.
Not connected to Denison in any way, just making an observation based on my son’s experience.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”