Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DMac

Re: Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote
I'd agree that a whole lot of people with generally "good" intent, are extremely defensive that their own biases may be interpreted as equivalent to the worst of the worst.
This is the crux of the issue, IMO. While Hillary might have only used the deplorables label once (I doubt that) the pro Hillary crowd and media drove it home like a jackhammer on a sidewalk. Think back on DocB's constant bombardment of comments accussing the entire white population of fitting into Hillary's basket. He and his ilk really pizzed people like me off with that stuff and this is what drove many to not vote for Her Holiness, the savior.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:09 pm My mother was redhead (light red), German girl. One of my boys is, another blond (like I was), both have red beards. All have brown eyes as did my mother.
Steph and Andre? Not making that connection.
Steffi Graff (champion German tennis player) is married to Andre Agassi (American champion tennis player of Armenian descent) - neither are redheads. ;)
DMac

Post by DMac »

I knew that but I'm still not seeing the redhead/resemblance thing.
My current favorite redhead. Man, that is some red hair!!
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:09 pm My mother was redhead (light red), German girl. One of my boys is, another blond (like I was), both have red beards. All have brown eyes as did my mother.
Steph and Andre? Not making that connection.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
DMac

Post by DMac »

I think this is like a Rorschach test, I'm not seeing the resemblance there you're seeing.
I like these two, nice couple. Married 20+ years now.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=st ... &FORM=VIRE
Actually, when looking at the two of them in the video, there is a pretty strong resemblance, gotta take that not seeing the resemblance back.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:42 pm I think this is like a Rorschach test, I'm not seeing the resemblance there you're seeing.
Actually, when looking at the two of them in the video, there is a pretty strong resemblance, gotta take that not seeing the resemblance back.
My favorite female tennis player of all time. She was such an athlete.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:47 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:42 pm I think this is like a Rorschach test, I'm not seeing the resemblance there you're seeing.
Was? Interested in playing a tennis match with her?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:50 pm
Was? Interested in playing a tennis match with her?
I could have said “is” but I haven’t seen her play. I loved watching her play.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Smart girl, I like watching the wheels turn in head in that clip.
Typical German mind. (Oh no, is that stereotyping? Shame on me.)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:23 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote
I'd agree that a whole lot of people with generally "good" intent, are extremely defensive that their own biases may be interpreted as equivalent to the worst of the worst.
This is the crux of the issue, IMO. While Hillary might have only used the deplorables label once (I doubt that) the pro Hillary crowd and media drove it home like a jackhammer on a sidewalk. Think back on DocB's constant bombardment of comments accussing the entire white population of fitting into Hillary's basket. He and his ilk really pizzed people like me off with that stuff and this is what drove many to not vote for Her Holiness, the savior.
I dunno whether she used the term again, but I do know that Fox pundits threw a huge hissy fit about it...at the time I was more of a Fox viewer than not, and my parents had Fox on incessantly in their part of our house (as did my brother-in-law in the basement).

I'm sure that the MSM and more liberal media pundits defended the use of the term, and some may have started to use it to describe Trump supporters more generally (which would have been overreach).

I don't recall DocB in specific the way you clearly do, but I can certainly imagine strident hyperbolic language... ;)

Gonna always be some such from someone, I don't think we should reject entirely the candidate they support, else there won't be anyone to support. The question, to me, is to evaluate what the candidate actually says, what they actually mean, giving some latitude for malapropisms and other verbal gaffes...but when a candidate reveals themself repeatedly, ok, begin to make some clearer judgments.

I didn't vote for her because I found her generally, over many years, to be willing to put up with, or engage in, way too much self-serving sleaze. Putting Bill aside, her putting so much money in her pocket in the run up to 'announcing' her candidacy was not ok with me. My wife had never liked Hillary, from the 'stand by man' moment forward and I trust her judgment...that said, it sure didn't get me to hold my nose and vote for Trump. That was not a remotely close call, and, if it had been a question as to who would win our state, I'd have held my nose and voted for Clinton.

Biden has used the term MAGA to lump together the election deniers and related scum that coalesced around Trump. It's a challenging term, as I think there were certainly people who happily wore the hat, etc, considered themselves MAGA, but are reachable nevertheless. Certainly are redeemable.

I think there are at least two categories of actual "MAGA" at this point. Those who are full on nativist, white nationalist, Qanon or other related conspiracy sorts, exhibiting extreme delusional cult-like behaviors that include an embrace of what can be fairly described as fascist, authoritarianism AND those whose compliance (or outright cynical promotion) is motivated by personal greed for power or wealth or out of fear of loss of such.

That's MAGA.
On the other hand, there are lots of folks who had previously supported Trump and the GOP, who live primarily in a right-wing media bubble (like my mom and many of her friends), but who comprehend that the election was won by Biden, not Trump, that Trump's reaction and promotion of the Big Lie was a fraud, a grift, and/or outright madness, who know that taking and hiding Top Secret classified information is way out of bounds, no matter who you are...etc....assuming they know the information at all...

They may well prefer a GOP POTUS over a Dem one, but they recognize that the extremism of Trump and some of his supporters, as demonstrated Jan 6, is beyond the pale. Unfortunately, that group of GOP voters has been proven to be a minority of the GOP voters in most primaries. But they remain reachable in a general, just as are the similarly minded Independents.

And, in the long run, they will be needed for ongoing peaceful democratic (small d) governance.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ggait wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:05 pm
So I blame her ultimately for a lot of what’s gone down since. She didn’t need to pump up her kicks and try to do a blindfolded tomahawk dunk, nuts to forehead on her opponents before the completion was over.
Read below what she actually said. Doesn't sound like a touchdown dance to me. What Sean Hannity says she said is a different thing.

Seems like she was trying to connect to traditional Dem voters -- blue collar, working class. Basically the same folks Tim Ryan is courting in Ohio. Ryan, no surprise, does a better job of it than Hillary ever could.

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.
The entire primary and election process was treated like a coronation process by her and her people. For months. I literally went to bed still expecting her to win election night.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:13 am
This is why, in part, English is a hard language to learn.
Try Cyrillic. Year of college lost forever…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:04 am Well done, Oldbarndog, and I agree, TLD. However, to suggest that Her Holiness was going back to the Latin roots of deplorables and really meant anything other than how the word is defined and used today is bullschidt (another word with more than one meaning, eh?). We, the ignorant, did not misinterpret what she meant.

Another word of Latin origin. Ambidextrous. You think right hand when you hear that word?
ambidexterous, Medieval Latin ambidexter, literally "right-handed on both sides," from ambi- "both, on both sides" (see ambi-) + dexter "right-handed" (from PIE root *deks- "right; south")

You had to have had two rights hands if you could use both hands equally comfortably cuz lefties....well, they're just cursed.
A very misused word, if you can do a couple of things with your "off hand" people are quick to say you're ambidextrous and that
aint the meaning of the word at all.
There’s at least one thing where you’d think I’ve got the most versatile hands in the world! Think of “doin’ that jive”…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:59 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:56 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:40 am
DMac wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:04 am Well done, Oldbarndog, and I agree, TLD. However, to suggest that Her Holiness was going back to the Latin roots of deplorables and really meant anything other than how the word is defined and used today is bullschidt (another word with more than one meaning, eh?). We, the ignorant, did not misinterpret what she meant.

Another word of Latin origin. Ambidextrous. You think right hand when you hear that word?
ambidexterous, Medieval Latin ambidexter, literally "right-handed on both sides," from ambi- "both, on both sides" (see ambi-) + dexter "right-handed" (from PIE root *deks- "right; south")

You had to have had two rights hands if you could use both hands equally comfortably cuz lefties....well, they're just cursed.
A very misused word, if you can do a couple of things with your "off hand" people are quick to say you're ambidextrous and that
aint the meaning of the word at all.
“Ambidextrous”…..I had never heard the word until Paul Westphal emerged in the NBA.
Are you joking?
No. I was maybe 8 or 9 years old.
Eh, I hadn’t heard of Juneteenth until the Watchman show came out…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:49 am
So I blame her ultimately for a lot of what’s gone down since. She didn’t need to pump up her kicks and try to do a blindfolded tomahawk dunk, nuts to forehead on her opponents before the completion was over.
Read below what she actually said. Doesn't sound like a touchdown dance to me. What Sean Hannity says she said is a different thing.

Seems like she was trying to connect to traditional Dem voters -- blue collar, working class. Basically the same folks Tim Ryan is courting in Ohio. Ryan, no surprise, does a better job of it than Hillary ever could.

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

Very interesting; thanks for posting the full remarks...she was actually right, both that Trump had appealed to people with a particular set of emotions and beliefs that, yes, are "deplorable" (we all should recall the many voters for Trump who claimed they had never or rarely had voted at all) while also making clear that a large portion of Trump's support was based on feelings that were important to address, to empathize with...and hopefully actually help.

But many people only know what they are being told.

My mom just shared with me an email trail from her friends with an MTG video complaining about the "corruption of Congress", citing the "in the dead of night" passage out of the Rules Committee the omnibus spending bill...with "no opportunity for Republicans to read it"...she repeated these allegations at least 10 times in the video, though she never actually said what "corruption" had occurred.

One of the members of the thread had written back asking to be removed, my mother hadn't read his response re MTG (space lasers and all), but she had watched the video of MTG...she thought she was informing me (and the rest of our family) about this awful thing the Democrats had done...when we explained MTG, she said "how would I know?".

Yup.
The question is do you say it even if correct no matter what? Any married person knows being right isn’t always right. Any market trader knows the market can be incorrect longer than the trader can stay solvent.

It was a dumb thing in general to state from a calculated and intelligent person on mun done out of extreme arrogance regardless of whether she was correct or not.

As bad as Trump is I find the cognitive dissonance of Dems crazy for not taking any responsibility for it happening. They’ve even funded and gotten more moderate Reps beaten in primaries in the theory they can beat the MaGA candidate but the risk if they lose is so high as to be a horrible approach if even one of those mongoloids wins a seat.
njbill

Post by njbill »

While Serena certainly deserves all the kudos she's been getting of late, Steffi has unfairly been omitted from the conversation of GOAT. (Sorry, Margaret, you don't make the cut in my book.)

Graf won 22 majors by the age of 30 when she retired. She not only won the calendar year Grand Slam (one of only three women to do so), but she is the only woman to win the Golden Slam (tennis Grand Slam plus Olympic gold medal), which she did in 1988.

Serena has won 23 majors, but 11 have been after the age of 30.

While one could argue Steffi would have won more Grand Slams had she not retired when she did, it is also true that she only won one GS in the last three years of her career. So maybe she had peaked and wouldn't have won any more. But who knows?

Serena was able to maintain a level of play such that she was able to win a Slam at age 35. Her last was the Aussie in 2017. She certainly gets credit for continuing to play at the top level well into her 30s.

Who has the better claim to being the GOAT? A great (and unresolvable) bar argument.
Typical Lax Dad

njbill wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:06 pm
While Serena certainly deserves all the kudos she's been getting of late, Steffi has unfairly been omitted from the conversation of GOAT. (Sorry, Margaret, you don't make the cut in my book.)

Graf won 22 majors by the age of 30 when she retired. She not only won the calendar year Grand Slam (one of only three women to do so), but she is the only woman to win the Golden Slam (tennis Grand Slam plus Olympic gold medal), which she did in 1988.

While one could argue Steffi would have won more Grand Slams had she not retired when she did, it is also true that she only won one GS in the last three years of her career. So maybe she had peaked and wouldn't have won any more. But who knows?

Serena was able to maintain a level of play such that she was able to win a Slam at age 35. Her last was the Aussie in 2017. She certainly gets credit for continuing to play at the top level well into her 30s.

Who has the better claim to being the GOAT? A great (and unresolvable) bar argument.
I liked Steffi. She was a Ferrari.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:12 pm

The entire primary and election process was treated like a coronation process by her and her people. For months. I literally went to bed still expecting her to win election night.
I didn't vote for her in the primary, but sucked it up and tried to dodge the orange blob.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:16 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:06 pm

I liked Steffi. She was a Ferrari.
A Ferrari? Unlike a Ferrari, she worked...

Not some esteemed Nazi marque? How those clowns survived the Marshall Plan re-org I'll never understand. Oh, that's right, we didn't punish them like the Japanese since they were "white folks" like us...that and Henry (Heinrich?) Ford, Preston Bush and company. I mean, we in-sourced the Nazi rocketry program en masse after all. American ingenuity my rump. The more the anti-woke crowd resists, the closer to the truth we are.
DMac

Post by DMac »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This place can be unbelievable. A perfectly innocent comment becomes political, racist, and takes us back to the Nazis.
Too funny. Pick an animal next time, TLD. Then again that might take us to PETA and the lack of space given to chickens.

Return to “POLITICS”