Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Sunnylax

Re: Recruiting

Post by Sunnylax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:14 am
Testudo98 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:17 pm That’s why she needs a full time male recruiting coordinator on her coaching staff.
was there some point in using "male"? you could have just said "recruiting coordinator". Noting male, or female, adds nothing to your point but speculation that you think one sex is better at (coordinating) recruiting. Is that your intent?
And Testudo98, why do you think you know how the recruiting works at UNC? You really believe that Levy does no recruiting? I can tell you that you are wrong.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

# 2 player in the 2024 class is off to..guess where..UNC. Thats #1 AND #2. They'll be playing with Chloe Humphrey. The colorado to UNC pipeline is well and truly established..an emerging hotbed. I've been screaming this from the mountain tops but some people want to keep denying it.The torch has been passed. MD, BC, NW need to go all out to win this year because good luck stopping UNC in 2 years and beyond.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Nobody is denying that UNC sets the standard right now. They've earned it by losing only one game in the last 3 years. But just to play devil's advocate, Florida had the top 2 recruits in 2015, no Final Fours. MD's best recruit that same year was 15th, but they pulled in six from 15-50 and proceeded to go 87-4 and win 2 titles over the next four years. Notre Dame pulled in the top 2 in 2019 after getting Aldave in 2017, and the team hasn't taken a leap. On the men's side Duke has had a ridiculous recruiting haul recently and things haven't clicked. UNC had 8 UA AA's come in last year and didn't make the tournament. At some point the coaching and how players gel on the field comes into play. Levy definitely has that figured out. If this is a start of a run for UNC like MD had from 95-01, then you can come back then and tell me I told you so if I'm still posting on this forum. But there's still a long time before it becomes inevitable.
Last edited by jff97 on Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Agree with prior comment. I see UNC as almost in rebuild mode this year. Just about every game changing player is gone. Sure there are some exceptions but they lost all world players at every key position. I see them being fairly average on offense and have to say the same for défense especially with the loss of Trenchard and Marino. In 2 years there big name recruits will be freshman and sophomores. Not sure they will have that much of an impact immediately. Few ACC players players do. I think UNC is a big step behind MD and BC the next few years.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Knock knock guess who just landed another top 10 player and the number 1 attacker in 2024? :lol: a girl i have highlighted here in a few occasions. She had all the options in the world. and this is with an already loaded UNC class this year, last year, and the year before that. and STILL chose UNC. To those still thinking Maryland is the top dog do so at your own peril. These girls saw UNC on national TV..ESPN. The brand in WLAX is stronger than ever. The Baton, Torch, whatever else there is to pass is sitting in Levy's closet. Maryland needs to win. now. Only thing that might slow that the Levy locomotor. I know some like to say rankings aren't this and that but it's been shown over and over again that you have to have the best players to win. There are threads in here you can go back and study the history of HS player rankings and collegiate success..the correlation is CLEAR AS DAY. Pointing out outliers and situations when thats not the case doesn't negate this fact. lol like i said..GOOD LUCK
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Anyone but Maryland is fine by me.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:17 pm Knock knock guess who just landed another top 10 player and the number 1 attacker in 2024? :lol: a girl i have highlighted here in a few occasions. She had all the options in the world. and this is with an already loaded UNC class this year, last year, and the year before that. and STILL chose UNC. To those still thinking Maryland is the top dog do so at your own peril. These girls saw UNC on national TV..ESPN. The brand in WLAX is stronger than ever. The Baton, Torch, whatever else there is to pass is sitting in Levy's closet. Maryland needs to win. now. Only thing that might slow that the Levy locomotor. I know some like to say rankings aren't this and that but it's been shown over and over again that you have to have the best players to win. There are threads in here you can go back and study the history of HS player rankings and collegiate success..the correlation is CLEAR AS DAY. Pointing out outliers and situations when thats not the case doesn't negate this fact. lol like i said..GOOD LUCK
I give examples not because I’m trying to negate the fact, but because when the eventuality of a top tier recruit not working out happens, people are often quick to harshly criticize the player and/or coach and make assumptions. It’s just a reminder that, unless you’ve got very close personal connections, you don’t know the full story and sometimes, great players and great coaches just don’t work out.

UNC appears to be doing very well recruiting the 2024 class so far. They’re in a great position to do so as they’ve got a lot of “opportunity” with all the talent they graduated.

I also don’t like the assumption that however good these recruits are now, compared to their peers, is how they’re going to stay. As if there’s no such thing as late bloomers or players making large improvements as they continue to play high school and into college. Nothing is set in stone
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Yes, UNC is on a recruiting roll. No one is denying that. Now comes the waiting game.

And the program in College Park that is supposedly going to become irrelevant does have 9 commits for 2024, including 7 since Sunday. May only have one on the ILWomen list so far, but the coaching staff will do what they always do. Take the kids who want to be there, build great team chemistry and have fun playing the sport at an extremely high level.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

jff97 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:55 pm Yes, UNC is on a recruiting roll. No one is denying that. Now comes the waiting game.

And the program in College Park that is supposedly going to become irrelevant does have 9 commits for 2024, including 7 since Sunday. May only have one on the ILWomen list so far, but the coaching staff will do what they always do. Take the kids who want to be there, build great team chemistry and have fun playing the sport at an extremely high level.

With the number 1 classes for 2021 and 2022 UMD doesn’t have openings especially with all the injured coming back including the AE player of the year. Plus Donovan coming in and Bosco coming back they are set up for 2 nattys.

Maybe in 2025 UNC close the natty gap to down 13.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:19 pm
jff97 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:55 pm Yes, UNC is on a recruiting roll. No one is denying that. Now comes the waiting game.

With the number 1 classes for 2021 and 2022 UMD doesn’t have openings especially with all the injured coming back including the AE player of the year. Plus Donovan coming in and Bosco coming back they are set up for 2 nattys.

I am really interested in seeing Marylands defense this year with so much talent competing for 4 spots.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Recruit rankings in women's lacrosse don't mean a whole lot. MD always has one of the top ranked classes. Many will argue that is because their commits get ranked higher just because they committed to MD. In 2018, MD had a highly ranked class only one player has been a major contributor. The 2019 class was ranked #1 and included 6 of the top 26 ranked players in the class. 2 of those 6 are no longer at MD and 2 have not been major contributors. The 2020 class was also very highly ranked with 9 commits. Only 2 of the 9 are still at MD and only 1 has been a contributor. In 2021, 2 of the 9 have already left MD. Only 1 contributed last year. 2 were injured so maybe they will contribute this year but that's not guaranteed. You're fooling yourself if you think the highly rated 2021 and 2022 classes have any bearing on what 2023s and 2024s are doing.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

user1020 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:26 pm

I am really interested in seeing Marylands defense this year with so much talent competing for 4 spots.
Definitely a good problem to have. I'm guessing Donovan will start, and I wonder if they'll go with five defenders and two midfielders instead of the four defenders and three midfielders they've used in recent years. With Griffin graduated, Donovan could just slide into her spot and make it 5 and 2.
Lewisfrederick

Post by Lewisfrederick »

UNC has a better class in 2022 than UMD. You can continue to say UMD has the #1 class in 2022… but your proof is the equivalent of “trust me bro”.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

jff97 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:33 pm
user1020 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:26 pm

Definitely a good problem to have. I'm guessing Donovan will start, and I wonder if they'll go with five defenders and two midfielders instead of the four defenders and three midfielders they've used in recent years. With Griffin graduated, Donovan could just slide into her spot and make it 5 and 2.
Donovan is an option on the circle too. Their draw team is shaping up to be just as formidable as their defense
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

UMD 2022 top 10 recruits

#1 #5 #6

Avg #4

Unc 2022 top 10 recruits

#2 #3#9

Avg #4.66

UMD wins

Outside the top 10 is a grab bag

Terps recruiting package

https://twitter.com/MarylandWLax/status ... G2tLkrAAAA

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarylandWLax ... wsrc%5Etfw

https://www.ncaa.com/video/lacrosse-wom ... s-lacrosse

Unprecedented attractiveness for the state sport and not a title 9 afterthought
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Carolina with six five star 2024 recruits so far, including the top 2 players in the country.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Notice the flurry of MD 2024 committs only after most of the top players were off the board :roll: ? Im sure MD will find some good players in that batch but my point remains that they are no longer the number 1 option for top players. Maryland cannot afford to have average recruiting classes and expect to beat UNC and BC. Or Seasons like 2020 and 2021 will happen more often. Or did people start forgetting about that..anyways, 9+ player recruiting classes for a top program in women's lax is a red flag. Reeks of desperation and a sign that you've been turned down by top talent and are scrambling
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

suffolk wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:46 pm Carolina with six five star 2024 recruits so far, including the top 2 players in the country.
Ridiculous..all of these players are gonna have a field day playing with Chloe Humphrey who is gonna be one of the all time greats by time she graduates college. GURANTEED. a truly special talent. Other players know this and want to play with her. remember this post and mark it! One of the many reasons why i keep saying UNC is about to dominate and why MD and co need to get it together.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

So if 9 or more players is desperation mode, than UNC has to be close to that because they signed 8 in both the last 2 years. That's how this works, right?
And from my count on MD's roster, they have 10 and possibly more players who could be using their final year of eligibility in 2024. So recruiting 9 or more players seems to me like they're filling the roster spots they have rather than just throwing offers at people left and right. Looks like they have a decent amount of scholarship money to throw around too given that only 3 of the 9 commits are in-state.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

jff97 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:15 am So if 9 or more players is desperation mode, than UNC has to be close to that because they signed 8 in both the last 2 years. That's how this works, right?
And from my count on MD's roster, they have 10 and possibly more players who could be using their final year of eligibility in 2024. So recruiting 9 or more players seems to me like they're filling the roster spots they have rather than just throwing offers at people left and right. Looks like they have a decent amount of scholarship money to throw around too given that only 3 of the 9 commits are in-state.
By Maryland's recruiting standards, they are having a sub-par recruiting year. Maryland's 2023 roster is loaded and will win the national championship this year, and will likely be the favorites in 24. After that things may change. Cathy Reese was smart in 2021. Her roster in 21 needed reinforcements and she went out and got them via the transfer portal. When Carolina's back to back top ranked recruiting classes hit the field in three years, Cathy will not have the luxury of the Covid year to get transfers such as Bosco, Donovan, and Cordingley. Carolina, BC, and Syracuse loading up on young 2024 talent is the smart way to go and should eventually pay dividends.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”