THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
johnnyonthegunpowder

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Who needs career connections when you've got the MLL!

In all seriousness though, that is a huuuuuge bonus for a college student and brilliant recruiting tool. Well done.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Not only the MLL but also the PLL.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
johnnyonthegunpowder

How many fractions of lacrosse have there been at this point: Rabil is developing his own league, Harrison was a big part of the bust that was LXM, and then Harrison created the Sankofa Lacrosse Alliance , which also toured; there's MLL, National Lacrosse League, Box Lacrosse League, Western Lacrosse Association....where does it end? Everybody looking to bank. Who's banking? Sure, you might not get to be the bastard child of Tim Ferris and Jocko Wilink. Sure, you might not get to drive around Severna Park livestreaming with a 19 year old. But, who am I to say, maybe that's what the Hop kids are after these days?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote:How many fractions of lacrosse have there been at this point: Rabil is developing his own league, Harrison was a big part of the bust that was LXM, and then Harrison created the Sankofa Lacrosse Alliance , which also toured; there's MLL, National Lacrosse League, Box Lacrosse League, Western Lacrosse Association....where does it end? Everybody looking to bank. Who's banking? Sure, you might not get to be the bastard child of Tim Ferris and Jocko Wilink. Sure, you might not get to drive around Severna Park livestreaming with a 19 year old. But, who am I to say, maybe that's what the Hop kids are after these days?
The only people who make bank on this sport are equipment manufacturers, the NC$$, and the occasional off the chart hiring FUBAR like in Annapolis.

Like, that’s just my opinion man.

Hey, watch this:

johnnyonthegunpowder

Love the interview, Womb.

I can't say I was ever crazy about the movie. Perhaps it is its quotability that does not register for me. I prefer that which does not lend itself to ever being quoted. But, I sure do love all three of those guys. Each one is truly his own thing. Buschemi was a firefighter for god's sake. And, somehow, Goodman chose New Orleans as the place to get sober. How? Why?

How bout this blast? Peter Jacobs was an animal. We've had Ierlan and Baptiste, let's bring back the giants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FmBz36aUUk
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote:
jhu72 wrote:I'm here. Just not much to say.

Thanks for the video HOB.
Do you have the offspring onboard?
Yes.

Been watching a lot of BIG Tournament replays lately. Turnbaugh really had an amazing career, the ups and downs, his ability to bounce back. Eric Schneider as well, but Turnbaugh really more so. I just don't get it. Guys with such clear demonstrated ability -- why does it take Hopkins 3 years (and in Schneider's case more) to bring goalies to a point where they live up to their potential. I would have though the addition of Quinn after the Schneider experience would have changed the situation. But it clearly did not. Starting with Jesse, there has been a lot more up and down from week to week than I ever recall in earlier times; and unfortunately more down than up. Previously it really was pretty much next man up, no problem. Goal tending was solid far more often than not, not as much variability. I don't think this is just statistics. I think there has been a strong signal the program has been doing something wrong. But what? Has it been fixed?
We talked quite a bit about this on the prior boards.

It'll be interesting to see whether the recruiting issue improves with the new rules. As I pointed out a few times previously, ER distortions created or at least appeared to lead to some huge misses, several in a row, for Hop. Exactly why is more debatable, but there's no arguing with the facts that several times Petro picked the first goalie announced and then never saw the player produce a solid season.

The questions about playing environment, how tenders are handled, brought along, managed, etc were even more debatable, to the point that at least one poster's scathing opinions (purportedly based on first hand knowledge) were removed by the mods. Though I had emphasized how poor the recruiting decisions had been (I'd watched that process closely over about 5 classes in a row), the coaching/management questions resonated as well. My perspective is that goalie performance variation at the elite level is 90% mental. I wondered whether Quinn would be sufficiently on the scene to really create a better environment for the goalie corps.

There could be other issues, or, of course, it could have all been a string of bad luck.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
jhu72 wrote:

Yes.

Been watching a lot of BIG Tournament replays lately. Turnbaugh really had an amazing career, the ups and downs, his ability to bounce back. Eric Schneider as well, but Turnbaugh really more so. I just don't get it. Guys with such clear demonstrated ability -- why does it take Hopkins 3 years (and in Schneider's case more) to bring goalies to a point where they live up to their potential. I would have though the addition of Quinn after the Schneider experience would have changed the situation. But it clearly did not. Starting with Jesse, there has been a lot more up and down from week to week than I ever recall in earlier times; and unfortunately more down than up. Previously it really was pretty much next man up, no problem. Goal tending was solid far more often than not, not as much variability. I don't think this is just statistics. I think there has been a strong signal the program has been doing something wrong. But what? Has it been fixed?

It'll be interesting to see whether the recruiting issue improves with the new rules. As I pointed out a few times previously, ER distortions created or at least appeared to lead to some huge misses, several in a row, for Hop. Exactly why is more debatable, but there's no arguing with the facts that several times Petro picked the first goalie announced and then never saw the player produce a solid season.

The questions about playing environment, how tenders are handled, brought along, managed, etc were even more debatable, to the point that at least one poster's scathing opinions (purportedly based on first hand knowledge) were removed by the mods. Though I had emphasized how poor the recruiting decisions had been (I'd watched that process closely over about 5 classes in a row), the coaching/management questions resonated as well. My perspective is that goalie performance variation at the elite level is 90% mental. I wondered whether Quinn would be sufficiently on the scene to really create a better environment for the goalie corps.

There could be other issues, or, of course, it could have all been a string of bad luck.
Wasn’t removed by “the mods”. Was removed by THE MOD.

I think I screenshotted that whole thing. Will take me a long time to dig it up, but it was a very useful post and could have been a damn big help to the staff to see some constructive criticism.

But, alas, NO! It must be vaporized at the whim of the great bald ego of the northeast!

Just like a major portion of his entire’s life work - 20 years - entirely vaporized. Ironic.

Sure as hell glad I didn’t spend 8 to 10 hours a day for 20 years “moderating” to see it all evaporate.

That’s a significant chunk of life, never to be brought back.

I’ll see if I can find those goalie posts, but it might take a month.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
jhu72 wrote:...Turnbaugh really had an amazing career, the ups and downs, his ability to bounce back. Eric Schneider as well, but Turnbaugh really more so. I just don't get it...

...My perspective is that goalie performance variation at the elite level is 90% mental...
Yes, 90% mental, including confidence. I thought Turnbaugh looked pretty good his sophomore year, not great, but pretty good. Then came a graduate-year transfer goalie, Logan; sure, competition can be a good thing, but was it Turnbaugh's choice to have Logan as a room-mate? If Logan was really a grad student, he should NOT have been rooming with an undergrad. That entire situation was bizarre: had to have played with Turnbaugh's mind, and it didn't help Logan either. Credit to Turnbaugh for bouncing back after that bizarre situation had ended.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

For what it's worth, the Jays just signed their first (and only?) 2020 goalie a few days ago, a kid from Pittsburgh. He'll likely be one of the last guys added to that class (current high school juniors). They had a verbal from a kid awhile ago but he appears to have changed positions or decommitted entirely or both. Either way the days of committing to an 8th grade goalie are over with the new rules—and they might have been anyway even without the new restrictions. This year's freshman goalie, Alex Gainey, was a late switch from Holy Cross.

The more immediate concern is who starts in net this year—certainly seems as though Darby is the leader in the clubhouse based on the fall. Whoever it is will have the benefit of playing behind what I think will be a solid defense: Foley, Rapine, Colwell, Kuhn, Jones, Hubler is a pretty good top 6 and one of the more experienced units in the country.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

A solid D is a blessing for any tender, especially a new one.

Indeed, a strange rooming assignment.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
jhu72 wrote:

Yes.

Every passionate fan base, including this one, that doesn't win a title spends the off season debating whether the issue in the program is the recruiting, the health/strength of the players, the talent, the development, or the quality of the in game coaching. I don't know how they rank for this program from biggest concern to least, but it's a worthy conversation we've gone in circles with for years without a solid conclusion.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

44WeWantMore wrote:Not only the MLL but also the PLL.
Very interesting. Lacrosse is becoming popular enough that people with money are beginning to think it is worth fighting over.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
jhu72 wrote:

Yes.

Wish I could say I thought it was the ER, but I really don't think so. Take Turnbaugh as an example. Sitting in his freshman year was understandable. Solid start in his sophomore year turned to a disaster in the 2nd half of the year. Junior year was what it was. Senior year, pretty solid from start to finish, with a significant uptick in performance late in the season. Overall, he performed to expectations as a top recruit in his senior year. Why did it take so long? ER does not explain this.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu72 wrote:
44WeWantMore wrote:Not only the MLL but also the PLL.
Very interesting. Lacrosse is becoming popular enough that people with money are beginning to think it is worth fighting over.
Rabil has some pretty savvy financial backers for his new league. The fact that the new PLL is backed by CAA (who are, in some respects, marketing experts), and NBC Sports, bodes well for the new venture. The PLL’s equity structure is reportedly innovative in North American sports. Hope the PLL is as innovative and creative on the field. From the reports out today, sounds like the picture quality and multiple camera angles will rival that of an NFL game. The helmet cams will be interesting to see.

I imagine they’re aiming for an X-Games atmosphere at each of their tour stops. Very proud of the Hopkins lacrosse grads (Rabil, Harrison, Kumin) who helped make this happen.

DocBarrister salut1 headbang1
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
jhu72 wrote:

Yes.

Wish I could say I thought it was the ER, but I really don't think so. Take Turnbaugh as an example. Sitting in his freshman year was understandable. Solid start in his sophomore year turned to a disaster in the 2nd half of the year. Junior year was what it was. Senior year, pretty solid from start to finish, with a significant uptick in performance late in the season. Overall, he performed to expectations as a top recruit in his senior year. Why did it take so long? ER does not explain this.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Turnbaugh was a relatively later commit, definitely not an example of ER himself. I could look back at who was originally committed to Hop in that class, but I think it may have been a super early commit who then didn't work out.

Excellent athlete. I watched him 'live' in person once, during the '12 season at Hereford when he played second half of the game vs Gilman but was the 3rd best tender on the field that day. But I believe he continued to improve and certainly was a significant contributor on some great Bulls teams.

He's indeed an example of a tender who might well have developed really well in college, but something didn't come 100% together. Hard to know from afar.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote:How many fractions of lacrosse have there been at this point: Rabil is developing his own league, Harrison was a big part of the bust that was LXM, and then Harrison created the Sankofa Lacrosse Alliance , which also toured; there's MLL, National Lacrosse League, Box Lacrosse League, Western Lacrosse Association....where does it end? Everybody looking to bank. Who's banking? Sure, you might not get to be the bastard child of Tim Ferris and Jocko Wilink. Sure, you might not get to drive around Severna Park livestreaming with a 19 year old. But, who am I to say, maybe that's what the Hop kids are after these days?
The only people who make bank on this sport are equipment manufacturers, the NC$$, and the occasional off the chart hiring FUBAR like in Annapolis.

Hey, watch this:

IIRC there was on item on Laxpower (R.I.P.) at one time that said the NCAA HQ in India-noplace at best and in a good year barely breaks even on lacrosse. So they're not "making money" on it.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
johnnyonthegunpowder

HowieT3 wrote:

Hey, watch this:

IIRC there was on item on Laxpower (R.I.P.) at one time that said the NCAA HQ in India-noplace at best and in a good year barely breaks even on lacrosse. So they're not "making money" on it.
Love the avatar, Howie. I've noticed UVA is selling Poe-themed merchandise too these days. Awesome.

I don't know now, after reading the Bloomberg article I might be in for a few shares should the time come. My guess is that the "innovative" equity structure is in play largely because there is no cash at this point to pay the players.
old salt

Post by old salt »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote:Love the interview, Womb.

I can't say I was ever crazy about the movie. Perhaps it is its quotability that does not register for me. I prefer that which does not lend itself to ever being quoted. But, I sure do love all three of those guys. Each one is truly his own thing. Buschemi was a firefighter for god's sake. And, somehow, Goodman chose New Orleans as the place to get sober. How? Why?
This quote should register with you johnnie.
It's the classic Lenin/Lennon/I am the Walrus scene.

Goodman is a proud son of Affton MO. He's still a Redbirds fan.
He still has that South St Louis accent
...& no, it's not a Chicaago accent, but he' does use it for DaBears.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Okay, since Rabil is a JHU graduate, I'll put this here, but Yale, Penn State, UVa, Cornell and Dartmouth are also mentioned. Wall Street's Lacrosse Fraternity Backs Rabil's New League: https://www.bloombergquint.com/business ... gs.ZGOOpMA
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

For a time the NCAA was making money on lax but then everyone got greedy. Prices kept escalating and attendance began dropping in a downward spiral. They wanted it contribution to become bigger and got the reverse,

I frankly have paid no attention to the proposed equity structure but companies are beginning to offer equity to contract employees like Uber for example because of labor laws.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”