2022 Women's Tewaaraton Watch List

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxer12

Re: 2022 Women's Tewaaraton Watch List

Post by laxer12 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:29 pm
laxer12 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:56 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:38 pm laxer 12 wrote : "And why even compare her to Abby Hormes? They are two completely different players that play very different levels of competition. Not to mention Hormes takes about 10 shots per game whereas Tyrrell takes about half as many. Efficiency matters."

LEVEL OF COMPETITION...there it is! The snobbery of this sport continues to amaze me, but I don't know why. See how laxer 12 just summarily dismissed Abby Hormes because she plays at High Point? If you don't play for certain schools in certain conferences, then YOU JUST DON'T MATTER! :x :x

Right??
Nope, not right, Larry. I wasn't dismissing her or saying she was a bad player that doesn't deserve recognition; you shouldn't assume so much. If High Point had a more successful season (they finished 10-9) and weren't absolutely blown out in all of their games against ranked opponents, I think Hormes would get more recognition and consideration for awards like the Tewaaraton. But it's painfully clear that High Point is not currently at that level yet. Not sure how any of that is controversial or considered, "snobby".

You used the word 'bad', I never said you said that. Funny how you slipped and said it. Maybe I'm reading too much into this?
In the old LaxPower days, I told people how good a certain D2 team was...and that was Adelphi, led by Joe Spallina. I told people this team was loaded with D1 talent(that D1 coaches had missed) and that they would more than hold their own against D1 competition. Very few people believed me because people love to tell themselves this, "if this girl was really good, then why is she playing at this school or in that Division?" If I take Hormes and put her on Stony Brook, maybe she doesn't score as many Goals as she did at High Point. However, maybe she makes SB even more formidable on offense by increasing their GPG by 3, from 15.6 to 18.6 .

My Point...if you're a good player you can play in a lot of places. If you choose to go somewhere that is not a top 20 program or D1, that does not make you less talented nor should it call into question your ability to play at a higher level.
Nah, I didn't "slip". What I said is what I meant. I agree that if she went to a different school (any of the higher ranked teams really), she would most definitely get a lot more recognition and have legitimate chances to win some major awards. But she chose High Point and obviously they're not at that level yet. However, that is not to say that SHE, individually, is not at that level. Yeah, I think we've come to a consensus. :)
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Could this happen on the Women's Side? And if not, why not?

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ward/14075
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:24 pm Could this happen on the Women's Side? And if not, why not?

Why not? If a player was that much better than the test of the field. PB was that much better.
njbill

Post by njbill »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:24 pm Could this happen on the Women's Side? And if not, why not?

Well, he did go to Colgate. :lol:
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Bart wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:33 pm

Why not? If a player was that much better than the test of the field. PB was that much better.

He was outstanding. Got to see him play, however he went to Colgate. Colgate lost in the 1st round of the tournament. Colgate was ranked that year but not in the top ten.

You really think that could happen on the Women's side?
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:25 pm
Bart wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:33 pm

He was outstanding. Got to see him play, however he went to Colgate. Colgate lost in the 1st round of the tournament. Colgate was ranked that year but not in the top ten.

You really think that could happen on the Women's side?
I know where he played. Watched him lots during his run at Colgate.

That being said.....I do. IF the women's player was THAT much better...........yes. PB was THAT good.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

laxer12 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:55 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:05 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:08 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:27 am
Lax101 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:46 pm Likely final 5 = North, Ortega, Tyrrell, Mastriani and Sterling. Don't think Trenchard has had her best year. Also tough to have 3 UNC players. Do others see it differently?
List to be released today or tomorrow . All reg season games played - so who is your top 5 deserving of the Tewaarton Award?
Just going off of Lax101’s list - think Cordingly has a very strong case as a finalist. I don’t know how much consideration the committee puts in to factors like leading a team after there are injuries to other integral players (which would help Tyrrell’s case). I think North’s DCs give her enough of an edge to earn the nod. Moreno vs Sterling is also an interesting debate because sterling has the higher save percentage but UNC had the tougher SOS. So it again depends on how much the committee looks at factors beyond individual statistics. Ortega yes, Mastroianni probably. Idk if I’m misremembering past races but this year seems the tightest it’s been in a while. Definitely don’t envy the committee
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling
Not sure what Tyrell has done to earn Tewaarton finalist status ? I mean good player puts up a lot of points . But a lot of kids do that …does she make others around her better ? I don’t know - they hve lost 5 games I dont feel that helps her case .
Not sure what Tyrrell has done to earn Tewaaraton finalist status? Hmm let's see. She leads the ACC in points per game and leads the NCAA in shooting percentage. She leads her team in goals, assists, points, game-winning goals, etc. She is routinely faceguarded/has the opposing team's best defender marking her (along with the stern attention of the rest of the team's defense) and she is still able to produce at a consistently high level. Not to mention she has been able to do all of this despite much of her supporting cast of talented offensive teammates being enfeebled with devastating injuries.

Is it Tyrrell's fault that the Syracuse defense and goalie play has been porous and wildly unreliable through the majority of the season? No. And all of Syracuse's 5 losses were close games and a few of them could've easily gone the other way. If 5 losses on a team is too many for a player on said team to be a tewaaraton finalist, how was Lizzie Colson a finalist last year on a Maryland team that went 10-7?
Watching Cuse game what a flopper Tyrell is. Said it many times . Jeez that’s some acting .
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:15 pm
Lax101 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:46 pm Likely final 5 = North, Ortega, Tyrrell, Mastriani and Sterling. Don't think Trenchard has had her best year. Also tough to have 3 UNC players. Do others see it differently?
List to be released today or tomorrow . All reg season games played - so who is your top 5 deserving of the Tewaarton Award?
Just going off of Lax101’s list - think Cordingly has a very strong case as a finalist. I don’t know how much consideration the committee puts in to factors like leading a team after there are injuries to other integral players (which would help Tyrrell’s case). I think North’s DCs give her enough of an edge to earn the nod. Moreno vs Sterling is also an interesting debate because sterling has the higher save percentage but UNC had the tougher SOS. So it again depends on how much the committee looks at factors beyond individual statistics. Ortega yes, Mastroianni probably. Idk if I’m misremembering past races but this year seems the tightest it’s been in a while. Definitely don’t envy the committee
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling
Not sure what Tyrell has done to earn Tewaarton finalist status ? I mean good player puts up a lot of points . But a lot of kids do that …does she make others around her better ? I don’t know - they hve lost 5 games I dont feel that helps her case .
Not sure what Tyrrell has done to earn Tewaaraton finalist status? Hmm let's see. She leads the ACC in points per game and leads the NCAA in shooting percentage. She leads her team in goals, assists, points, game-winning goals, etc. She is routinely faceguarded/has the opposing team's best defender marking her (along with the stern attention of the rest of the team's defense) and she is still able to produce at a consistently high level. Not to mention she has been able to do all of this despite much of her supporting cast of talented offensive teammates being enfeebled with devastating injuries.

Is it Tyrrell's fault that the Syracuse defense and goalie play has been porous and wildly unreliable through the majority of the season? No. And all of Syracuse's 5 losses were close games and a few of them could've easily gone the other way. If 5 losses on a team is too many for a player on said team to be a tewaaraton finalist, how was Lizzie Colson a finalist last year on a Maryland team that went 10-7?
Watching Cuse game what a flopper Tyrell is. Said it many times . Jeez that’s some acting .
Dude, f*** off. That was a cross check through and through. Did it deserve a yellow card? That's debatable. But it was definitely a foul. Your childish vendetta against Meaghan Tyrrell is hilarious at this point.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

laxer12 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:22 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

Dude, f*** off. That was a cross check through and through. Did it deserve a yellow card? That's debatable. But it was definitely a foul. Your childish vendetta against Meaghan Tyrrell is hilarious at this point.
Haha ok....no it didnt deserve a yellow - but she sure sold it. I have been watching her for years she is very....dramatic....sorry not a fan of the dramatic flop, head snap etc. Im sure Im not the only person seeing that at the end of a tight game who felt that way.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:26 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

Haha ok....no it didnt deserve a yellow - but she sure sold it. I have been watching her for years she is very....dramatic....sorry not a fan of the dramatic flop, head snap etc. Im sure Im not the only person seeing that at the end of a tight game who felt that way.
Most players do tend to sell it when trying to draw fouls and yellow cards. But no, she wasn't selling anything there; she drew a foul when trying to go to cage (which she did and should've just took the free position shot). The Fairfield defense was cross-checking all game long and the refs hardly called it. So when they do actually call it near the end of the game, you have some unnecessary tripe to say about it because the play involved Meaghan. Truly pathetic, man.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

laxer12 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:06 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

Most players do tend to sell it when trying to draw fouls and yellow cards. But no, she wasn't selling anything there; she drew a foul when trying to go to cage (which she did and should've just took the free position shot). The Fairfield defense was cross-checking all game long and the refs hardly called it. So when they do actually call it near the end of the game, you have some unnecessary tripe to say about it because the play involved Meaghan. Truly pathetic, man.
Very exciting last few minutes of a game that went right down to the final seconds.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:23 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:15 pm Watching Cuse game what a flopper Tyrell is. Said it many times . Jeez that’s some acting .
I fully agree with your assessment of the play vs Fairfield, Laxfan. What has to be even more galling to Fairfield and their fans is the non-call that followed. Looked like a very similar foul to me when Hawryschuk cross checked Maggie Fort to slow the Fairfield clear in the 2nd sequence. I think that's what the Fairfield coach was hot to the officials about. EH flopped on the play, as well--perhaps trying to draw attention away from her illegal check and maybe an attempt to draw a charge. That's on the officials for not calling it both ways.

However--the Stags did have a good chance to tie the game at the end had Kozak passed to a wide open teammate on the left wing (with plenty of time to do so) instead of forcing the potential game-tying goal herself. But--heat of the moment--players make decisions. So--that's on Fairfield.

But back to Tyrrell, she clearly embellished on the yellow card. I have witnessed the flopping in the past as you referenced. This is a perfect example from last years final vs BC where Belle Smith deftly executes a stick check to which Tyrrell reacts with a dramatic head snap in an attempt to draw a foul. I can't stand when players resort to these pathetic tactics to gain an advantage.

laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:55 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:15 pm Watching Cuse game what a flopper Tyrell is. Said it many times . Jeez that’s some acting .
I fully agree with your assessment of the play vs Fairfield, Laxfan. What has to be even more galling to Fairfield and their fans is the non-call that followed. Looked like a very similar foul to me when Hawryschuk cross checked Maggie Fort to slow the Fairfield clear in the 2nd sequence. I think that's what the Fairfield coach was hot to the officials about. EH flopped on the play, as well--perhaps trying to draw attention away from her illegal check and maybe an attempt to draw a charge. That's on the officials for not calling it both ways.

However--the Stags did have a good chance to tie the game at the end had Kozak passed to a wide open teammate on the left wing (with plenty of time to do so) instead of forcing the potential game-tying goal herself. But--heat of the moment--players make decisions. So--that's on Fairfield.

But back to Tyrrell, she clearly embellished on the yellow card. I have witnessed the flopping in the past as you referenced. This is a perfect example from last years final vs BC where Belle Smith deftly executes a stick check to which Tyrrell reacts with a dramatic head snap in an attempt to draw a foul. I can't stand when players resort to these pathetic tactics to gain an advantage.

And I cannot stand how pathetic and cowardly one has to be to incessantly bring up one singular play of the same indivdual player making a mistake, over and over again. What is this, your 20th time posting that garbage quality of a clip from your trash YouTube channel? Your continuous disparagement of Tyrrell and attempts to paint her in such a negative light says way more about you than it could ever say anything about her.
Last edited by laxer12 on Sat May 14, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:38 pm laxer 12 wrote : "And why even compare her to Abby Hormes? They are two completely different players that play very different levels of competition. Not to mention Hormes takes about 10 shots per game whereas Tyrrell takes about half as many. Efficiency matters."

LEVEL OF COMPETITION...there it is! The snobbery of this sport continues to amaze me, but I don't know why. See how laxer 12 just summarily dismissed Abby Hormes because she plays at High Point? If you don't play for certain schools in certain conferences, then YOU JUST DON'T MATTER! :x :x

Right??
Level of competition matters. Period the end. It doesn’t mean someone’s not a good player it’s just that the competition is not as strong. If we go by Larry’s standard then the best girl in junior College should be as good as the top player in the ACC. It’s apples and oranges.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

laxer12 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:44 am

And I cannot stand how pathetic and cowardly one has to be to incessantly bring up one singular play of the same indivdual player making a mistake, over and over again. What is this, your 20th time posting that garbage quality of a clip from your trash YouTube channel? Your continuous disparagement of Tyrrell and attempts to paint her in such a negative light says way more about you than it could ever say anything about her.
This should go under, NOTABLE POSTS, can someone put it there please. :lol: :lol:
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:29 pm

This should go under, NOTABLE POSTS, can someone put it there please. :lol: :lol:
On top of that, the card was more likely given because of the swing, not the head snap, IMO. This may be an antiquated thought, but I was under the impression that usually when a player check-swings so hard that their stick hits the ground, it's a telling sign to the official that they were "out of control", and you're more likely to get carded for it. Wasn't reading the officials mind at the time so I don't know for sure but that's just my 2 cents.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:01 pm

On top of that, the card was more likely given because of the swing, not the head snap, IMO. This may be an antiquated thought, but I was under the impression that usually when a player check-swings so hard that their stick hits the ground, it's a telling sign to the official that they were "out of control", and you're more likely to get carded for it. Wasn't reading the officials mind at the time so I don't know for sure but that's just my 2 cents.
it was the correct call - a 180 degree, out of control swipe anywhere near the head will be (should be) called every time. Not sure why it's even up for debate.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

quote=8meterPA post_id=371109 time=1652567782 user_id=2017]
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:01 pm

it was the correct call - a 180 degree, out of control swipe anywhere near the head will be (should be) called every time. Not sure why it's even up for debate.
[/quote]

100% A check that starts near the head and ends at the ground should be called every time. Uncontrolled checks are a huge issue in the women's game -imo.
Last edited by tothedraw on Sat May 14, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

laxer12 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:44 amAnd I cannot stand how pathetic and cowardly one has to be to incessantly bring up one singular play of the same indivdual player making a mistake, over and over again. What is this, your 20th time posting that garbage quality of a clip from your trash YouTube channel? Your continuous disparagement of Tyrrell and attempts to paint her in such a negative light says way more about you than it could ever say anything about her.
laxer12 (and all), no personal attacks. Chill...
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

admin wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:42 pm
laxer12 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:44 amAnd I cannot stand how pathetic and cowardly one has to be to incessantly bring up one singular play of the same indivdual player making a mistake, over and over again. What is this, your 20th time posting that garbage quality of a clip from your trash YouTube channel? Your continuous disparagement of Tyrrell and attempts to paint her in such a negative light says way more about you than it could ever say anything about her.
laxer12 (and all), no personal attacks. Chill...
This week a men's poster told another to F off, nothing was said and thread didn't escalate. It gets way dicier over there. Are we playing by the same rules ? Asking for a friend.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”