COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ggait

Re: COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by ggait »

Laxbuck wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:09 pm So at public institutions how is 12.6 defined?

Is a scholarship $ amount based on in state or out of state tuition?
NCAA cares about heads, not dollars. It is up to the school to award their 12.6 schollies to whatever in-state or out-of-state athletes they want on their teams.

If the UVA coach awards all 12.6 schollies to kids from MD and NY, that will cost the mlax budget and athletic department more. If the UMD coach gives all the athletic schollies to in-staters, then the budget hit will be less.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

I really don't know the answer to this question. So not trying to be provocative, just curious ;) .

Recently, I saw a post that listed former assistant Coaches under Maryland Coach Tillman who were hired as Head Coaches at Division 1 Lacrosse programs. It was impressive!. I think that it had 4-6 people in the last 5-10 years. Could it be more ? :?:

Now I read that former Coach Pietramala (age 50 +) is looking to return to a top Div. 5 program (whatever that means) as a Head Coach. He has been quoted as saying that a lesson that he learned over 30 years (especially at JHU) is that he should have delegated more to his Assistant Coaches. Many here have stated that it shouldn't take long for him to be hired.

So the "simple question", How many of Pietramala's Assistant Coaches were hired as Head Coaches at Division 1 Lacrosse Programs during the last 5 years? the last 10 years ? What conclusions can be drawn from the factual answers to those questions? :?:
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Chitown wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:57 pm I really don't know the answer to this question. So not trying to be provocative, just curious ;) .

Recently, I saw a post that listed former assistant Coaches under Maryland Coach Tillman who were hired as Head Coaches at Division 1 Lacrosse programs. It was impressive!. I think that it had 4-6 people in the last 5-10 years. Could it be more ? :?:

Now I read that former Coach Pietramala (age 50 +) is looking to return to a top Div. 5 program (whatever that means) as a Head Coach. He has been quoted as saying that a lesson that he learned over 30 years (especially at JHU) is that he should have delegated more to his Assistant Coaches. Many here have stated that it shouldn't take long for him to be hired.

So the "simple question", How many of Pietramala's Assistant Coaches were hired as Head Coaches at Division 1 Lacrosse Programs during the last 5 years? the last 10 years ? What conclusions can be drawn from the factual answers to those questions? :?:
The answers to the last paragraph's questions is none.

The part about "many here have stated" are going to be quite surprised when that top 5 job doesn't appear in the next few years. Right now, of the P5 teams, only Desko seems on shaky ground and he likely wouldn't be a candidate for that position. After that - any IVY's? Maybe. But, after that what would be enticing for him and what school would want him. I am sure a guy will be let go or retire but I don't think there is a huge venn diagram that is going provided a spot that matches up with "school that are top 5" and "want to hire DP." So I disagree. I think it will take some time. I don't see him taking a job this cycle.
WHOWHATWHERE

Post by WHOWHATWHERE »

I think we will see a wave of Assistant Coaches being hired.
Kirwan
Benson
Phipps
Wellner

This maybe a slow summer but I do believe they will be targeted in the coming years. Do not forget, its not just the job on the field that gets you hired.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:17 pm
Chitown wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:57 pm I really don't know the answer to this question. So not trying to be provocative, just curious ;) .

The part about "many here have stated" are going to be quite surprised when that top 5 job doesn't appear in the next few years. Right now, of the P5 teams, only Desko seems on shaky ground and he likely wouldn't be a candidate for that position. After that - any IVY's? Maybe. But, after that what would be enticing for him and what school would want him. I am sure a guy will be let go or retire but I don't think there is a huge venn diagram that is going provided a spot that matches up with "school that are top 5" and "want to hire DP." So I disagree. I think it will take some time. I don't see him taking a job this cycle.
I agree with your conclusion, but I do not believe he meant one of the top five programs in the country; I think he meant a position within one of the power five conferences, so 5 ACC + 6 B1G gives 11 possibilities. Anywhere else is a huge total comp cut (from where he was; obviously not from where he is now). Even expanding the circle, a Cornell insider wrote that his return there was flatly impossible. That seems consistent with the pattern of the Ivies hiring younger coaches.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:29 pm
steel_hop wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:17 pm

I agree with your conclusion, but I do not believe he meant one of the top five programs in the country; I think he meant a position within one of the power five conferences, so 5 ACC + 6 B1G gives 11 possibilities. Anywhere else is a huge total comp cut (from where he was; obviously not from where he is now). Even expanding the circle, a Cornell insider wrote that his return there was flatly impossible. That seems consistent with the pattern of the Ivies hiring younger coaches.
It is why I said 4 years ago he should have pursued the Michigan job even though some posters were adamant that he was going to be at Hopkins for a long time.
molo

Post by molo »

I thought Petro was well prepared and articulate in the studio. He’s certainly young enough to return to coaching at a major program. I just don’t see any likely openings at the kind of schools that would interest him in the near future. He obviously wants something in the ACC/Big 10/Ivy range. I don’t see a program similar to Denver when Tierney left. If you recall. Tierney took over a team that had just come off a bad year but they had lost respectably to Maryland at College Park the previous year. They were not far off when he started.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Things are starting to heat up. Hearing a number of strong rumors.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

molo wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:02 pm I thought Petro was well prepared and articulate in the studio. He’s certainly young enough to return to coaching at a major program. I just don’t see any likely openings at the kind of schools that would interest him in the near future. He obviously wants something in the ACC/Big 10/Ivy range. I don’t see a program similar to Denver when Tierney left. If you recall. Tierney took over a team that had just come off a bad year but they had lost respectably to Maryland at College Park the previous year. They were not far off when he started.
How long does Corrigan stay at ND? Or is that job Byrnes'?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:03 pm Things are starting to heat up. Hearing a number of strong rumors.
Any schools or coaches you feel comfortable mentioning?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:38 pm
molo wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:02 pm I thought Petro was well prepared and articulate in the studio. He’s certainly young enough to return to coaching at a major program. I just don’t see any likely openings at the kind of schools that would interest him in the near future. He obviously wants something in the ACC/Big 10/Ivy range. I don’t see a program similar to Denver when Tierney left. If you recall. Tierney took over a team that had just come off a bad year but they had lost respectably to Maryland at College Park the previous year. They were not far off when he started.
Has GB coached a single game at Harvard yet? Crazy
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:34 pm
HooDat wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:38 pm
Has GB coached a single game at Harvard yet? Crazy
Only 4. Definitely pretty crazy how everything panned out so far.

Recruiting very well though. However so did Wojcik.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I am really interested to see how he does there. Those defenses at ND he was in charge of were special. And he is a phenomenal personality on the recruiting trail. He will get the talent there for sure.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:40 pm I am really interested to see how he does there. Those defenses at ND he was in charge of were special. And he is a phenomenal personality on the recruiting trail. He will get the talent there for sure.
Doesn’t hurt being at the best university in the world ... albeit, with a 109-year national title drought.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Agree, Doc. One thing he never has to worry about hearing : "Sorry, Coach. I am looking for better academics." It's like when a buddy of mine had his infant at Hopkins for a procedure. "Dude, best hospital in the world. Doc says something, trust it."

Cheers!
ObxTerpFan

Post by ObxTerpFan »

I too thought Petro looked better then he had in the past but I wonder if coaches who "Gary Williams it" on the sidelines are a thing of the past.
I'm not sure if today's players or college administrators want that "look" anymore.
My guess would be more coaches will look like Tillman and Tiffany than Petro, Tierney and Corrigan.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:47 pm Agree, Doc. One thing he never has to worry about hearing : "Sorry, Coach. I am looking for better academics." It's like when a buddy of mine had his infant at Hopkins for a procedure. "Dude, best hospital in the world. Doc says something, trust it."

Cheers!
Yes ... cheers, Coach!

@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ObxTerpFan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:01 pm
I too thought Petro looked better then he had in the past but I wonder if coaches who "Gary Williams it" on the sidelines are a thing of the past.
I'm not sure if today's players or college administrators want that "look" anymore.
My guess would be more coaches will look like Tillman and Tiffany than Petro, Tierney and Corrigan.
Coach Pietramala is “old school” in more ways than one.

I’m not sure what the status of his job hunt is, but I would be a bit surprised if he isn’t coaching on the sideline in some capacity during the 2022 season.

@DocBarrister
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

ggait wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:52 am
Laxbuck wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:09 pm So at public institutions how is 12.6 defined?

Is a scholarship $ amount based on in state or out of state tuition?
NCAA cares about heads, not dollars. It is up to the school to award their 12.6 schollies to whatever in-state or out-of-state athletes they want on their teams.

If the UVA coach awards all 12.6 schollies to kids from MD and NY, that will cost the mlax budget and athletic department more. If the UMD coach gives all the athletic schollies to in-staters, then the budget hit will be less.
If in state tuition/room/board and books at UVA for an instate student is 30k but 60k for out of state does an out of state recruit getting 30k count as a 0.5 scholarship but an instate recruit getting 30k count as 1.0? The budget doesn’t apply to # of scholarships allotted
Homer

Post by Homer »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:43 pm If in state tuition/room/board and books at UVA for an instate student is 30k but 60k for out of state does an out of state recruit getting 30k count as a 0.5 scholarship but an instate recruit getting 30k count as 1.0?
Yes.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”