2021 NCAA Tournament

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Post by Wheels »

Will be so interesting to see if the NCAA waives it's "2 flight" rule to give DU a first-round host site. Normally, the NCAA tries to reduce the # of teams requiring a flight for the first round to 2 or fewer. A Denver site would require 3 teams to fly (greater than 400 mile distance triggers flight).
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:55 am Will be so interesting to see if the NCAA waives it's "2 flight" rule to give DU a first-round host site. Normally, the NCAA tries to reduce the # of teams requiring a flight for the first round to 2 or fewer. A Denver site would require 3 teams to fly (greater than 400 mile distance triggers flight).
Clearly they are willing to waive that rule because Denver is one of the final 6 sites. Air Force and Utah have never been part of the discussion and they announced the 6 sites for mens lacrosse only. I think it comes down to seeding.

If Denver wins the Big East Tournament on Sat the West games are probably in Denver.
If Denver loses the Big East Tournament and are not seeded, Denver will not be a site.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:55 am Will be so interesting to see if the NCAA waives it's "2 flight" rule to give DU a first-round host site. Normally, the NCAA tries to reduce the # of teams requiring a flight for the first round to 2 or fewer. A Denver site would require 3 teams to fly (greater than 400 mile distance triggers flight).
And really, it would be just one tournament bound school
that would have any significant flying time,
one out of eighteen,

I believe it’ll just be a numbers game,
not enough western teams in the tournament to
justify flying to Denver for the first round.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Can the Ivy League crown UPenn as their champion?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:54 pm Can the Ivy League crown UPenn as their champion?
Think you have to play a set number of games
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:54 pm Can the Ivy League crown UPenn as their champion?
more likely happen if penn does it on their own, "penn claims ivy league crown". nothing's coming out of the league office. def not while student-of-the-year is off the table.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Penn has yet to play a D-1 school. Brown, on the other hand, is 1-0 vs D-1 competition. Sounds like a champion to me!!!
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

AQ!

Edit: Forget the AQ, they are number 4: http://www.laxbytes.com/OUTPUT/SERVER/men/rating01.php
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Anyone have info on ticket availability for championship games over the Memorial Day weekend at the Rent? I don’t think they are available yet, and can’t see any info on number of fans allowed.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:33 pm Anyone have info on ticket availability for championship games over the Memorial Day weekend at the Rent? I don’t think they are available yet, and can’t see any info on number of fans allowed.
Got email this week that exclusive pre-sale starts tomorrow

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/lacr ... +Fairfield
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

DU-fan wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:26 am
Clearly they are willing to waive that rule because Denver is one of the final 6 sites. Air Force and Utah have never been part of the discussion and they announced the 6 sites for mens lacrosse only. I think it comes down to seeding.

If Denver wins the Big East Tournament on Sat the West games are probably in Denver.
If Denver loses the Big East Tournament and are not seeded, Denver will not be a site.
Denver has already been selected as one of the four host sites for the first round along with UNC, UVA & Maryland
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Ice1570 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:29 pm

Denver has already been selected as one of the four host sites for the first round along with UNC, UVA & Maryland
Sounds like each site will have a game on Saturday and Sunday
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

AreaLax wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:17 pm

Sounds like each site will have a game on Saturday and Sunday
Is there an article or official announcement confirming the four host sites for the first round as Denver, UNC, UVA & Maryland?
darkhaha

Post by darkhaha »

Where are you getting this info? My understanding is that the first round sites won’t be announced until Selection Sunday. It seems unlikely to me that they would go with one western and three southern venues…
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

darkhaha wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:45 pm

Where are you getting this info? My understanding is that the first round sites won’t be announced until Selection Sunday. It seems unlikely to me that they would go with one western and three southern venues…
Someone on the Virginia Sabre message board is sited a close source
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

AreaLax wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 pm

Hoosfan77

First round tourney sites...

...appear to be Klockner, UMD, UNC, Denver...

One game at Klockner on 15th one on 16th; unsure which day/time the Wahoos will get.

(Per a source close to the program, FWIW. Have not seen an official NCAA release. Seems legit.)
Maybe this is true, but I think people are jumping to conclusions. I have no doubt that Klockner will be a site. But, if Denver loses the Big East tournament, it makes little sense to go to Denver as the lower seeded team vs. Albany. If Denver wins the Big East tournament and is seeded the case is better.

Albany works well for Syracuse and Army. If they are seeded, it makes better sense.

Flights from Chicago to Denver for ND are pretty easy. Making the lower seed teams travel makes sense.

I don't believe this will be resolved until late Saturday and it will be announced this Sunday.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Making 3 teams fly to Denver in a pandemic is absurd.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

DU-fan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:16 am
AreaLax wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 pm

Hoosfan77

First round tourney sites...

...appear to be Klockner, UMD, UNC, Denver...

One game at Klockner on 15th one on 16th; unsure which day/time the Wahoos will get.

(Per a source close to the program, FWIW. Have not seen an official NCAA release. Seems legit.)
Maybe this is true, but I think people are jumping to conclusions. I have no doubt that Klockner will be a site. But, if Denver loses the Big East tournament, it makes little sense to go to Denver as the lower seeded team vs. Albany. If Denver wins the Big East tournament and is seeded the case is better.

Albany works well for Syracuse and Army. If they are seeded, it makes better sense.

Flights from Chicago to Denver for ND are pretty easy. Making the lower seed teams travel makes sense.

I don't believe this will be resolved until late Saturday and it will be announced this Sunday.
It's already been decided: UMd, Denver, UVA, and UNC will host regardless of this weekend's outcomes.

Weakness of the northern teams probably had something to do with this, with projections showing that their won't be many (if any) teams more than 400 miles north of College Park, having a first round site at Albany or Hofstra becomes less of a priority.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

This Sunday, ESPNU will exclusively present the first-ever joint NCAA Division I Men's & Women's Lacrosse Championships Selection Special at 9 p.m. ET.
darkhaha

Post by darkhaha »

BigTom4 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 pm
It's already been decided: UMd, Denver, UVA, and UNC will host regardless of this weekend's outcomes.

Weakness of the northern teams probably had something to do with this, with projections showing that their won't be many (if any) teams more than 400 miles north of College Park, having a first round site at Albany or Hofstra becomes less of a priority.
Again, what is the source for this info? Until an official announcement is made, this is just a rumor…

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”