Syracuse 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bananas

Re: Syracuse 2021

Post by bananas »

tech37 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:59 am
oldbartman wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:37 am Any news/insight into the pending discipinary situations?
Pretty sure that's what LaxFactor means by "full roster."

It's still sort of cryptic but looking like they've been cleared according to posts on the SUForum?

Hopefully LaxFactor KNOWS!
Talking about transfers , bit surprised that Nanicoke isn't there after Albany tribulations. Not a Gray or Sowers but a physical force to be reckoned with at attack.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

118:24 #HHH
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Article on IL states Rehfuss is expected to withdraw from the transfer portal after a "favorable" resolution of the disciplinary issues. Now if Desko can find a slot to play Hobart..........
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Syracuse lacrosse’s Stephen Rehfuss expected to withdraw from transfer portal (report)
The Syracuse men's lacrosse team takes on the Albany Great Danes at the Carrier Dome
Syracuse attack Stephen Rehfuss contributed two goals and 18 assists for the Orange last season.

By Lindsay Kramer | [email protected]
Syracuse, N.Y. -- It appears that the Syracuse lacrosse team will open preseason with its roster intact.

According to Inside Lacrosse, fifth-year senior attack Stephen Rehfuss is expected to withdraw his name from the transfer portal. Rehfuss had been among a group of players potentially involved in a coronavirus protocol violation.

Inside Lacrosse reported “that disciplinary process has ended in the players’ favor and, while they have avoided the most significant negative outcome, some steps remain in order to ensure their ability to play this spring; those are also expected to end in a favorable outcome.”

Syracuse, which was 5-0 and ranked No. 1 when the season was suspended last March, is expected to return to practice on Feb. 1. The school has not released its 2021 schedule, but Inside Lacrosse said SU will begin its season vs. Army in the third weekend of February.

The framework of Syracuse’s ACC schedule has been announced. The league season begins the weekend of Feb. 5-7. Teams will play a six-game conference schedule, including two home-and-home series.

Syracuse, which was ranked No. 1 in the country when the coronavirus stopped play last spring, will play home-and-home with Virginia and Notre Dame, host North Carolina and visit Duke.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

cuseman4133 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:11 pm Looks like they're all good. https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 4641643522

Such enthusiasm! So fetch as the current generation says.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
LaxFactor

Post by LaxFactor »

Yep, I knew it was fact, but I was trying to be respectful of the players and parents that had informed me. I wanted to beat IL to the punch haha, and figured no one cared more about this situation than the members of this group (other than the players haha).
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

7 Pre-Season All-Americans for SU, including 3 first teamers which leads D1.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... cans/57224
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

May be a Hobart issue but disappointed for no game this year (or Cornell as well). They highlight playing Army 69 (no comment) times historically but we've played each other 106 times, third most behind Hobart-Cornell and Hop-UMD.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

Lets hope they don't need to pause for two weeks due to Covid outbreak.

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/20 ... -rise.html
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Aside from Phaup = possessions yesterday, the biggest little story could be the emergence of Wykoff on close. Holding Moore, a recent Cuse killer, to a single assist was huge for the D3 transfer and team. His performance might alter season results, allowing Kennedy, SU's one-man wrecking crew and GB vacuum, to play where he's comfortable and most effective.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:35 am Aside from Phaup = possessions yesterday, the biggest little story could be the emergence of Wykoff on close. Holding Moore, a recent Cuse killer, to a single assist was huge for the D3 transfer and team. His performance might alter season results, allowing Kennedy, SU's one-man wrecking crew and GB vacuum, to play where he's comfortable and most effective.
i agree on the former. he was good. there's a good chance bt wing play and what he did in the open field they'll look at that and want to keep kennedy there. throw in that mids @ carolina especially and at duke have guys you want covered. don't know about nd.

duke's field does tilt to the attack, tho. as good as their mids are. same with umd and rutgers. and a loyola, army.
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Honest question for Cuse Fans..

Should they keep starting Scanlan?

The ssdm has worked for opposing D and he seems to clog up a lot of their flow, but also could go for 5g 1a at anytime. I'm not sure what the other options are but simply allowing teams to double pole the mid could come back to bite them in important games.

Thoughts
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

shaadb-man wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:10 pm Honest question for Cuse Fans..

The ssdm has worked for opposing D and he seems to clog up a lot of their flow, but also could go for 5g 1a at anytime. I'm not sure what the other options are but simply allowing teams to double pole the mid could come back to bite them in important games.

Thoughts
short of putting curry or dordevic at attack, they don't have anyone that would likely draw a pole anyway (and that would kind of defeat the purpose). unless they went with a ferris or seebold, and that wouldn't likely do it (each got inverts as 2nd mids saturday. seebold scored twice on the night and ferris hit a pipe.).
curry drew a shorty all night and feasted, as trimboli had the extra pole.

they have dodgers. hiltz looks like a finisher/stretch shooter, but given what the mids do and a feeder rehfuss who can also get to his shot, having a finisher and not needing a dodger on the other side works. scanlan has probably made more poor decisions on when to dodge his shorty and take a shot than anything else (and gotten away with twice). which he'll probably fix.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

Thoughts
Easy answer is yes of course. As Wgdsr noted they don't really have any other proven options. Also I don't think dodging has necessarily been Scanlon's strong point and I think it's more of him being in a shooting slump. He got off 9 shots against UVA, some needed to be better, some were good saves by Rode.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I liked Scanlon's early dodge vs. UVA, but the shot was saved. He rode hard and caused 2 turnovers. Add 4 ground balls to that and 8 shots on goal. I think it's a bit of a slump, but also the type of opponents SU has faced. Both Army and UVA didn't slide early, so many of SU's goals were individual efforts. The one guy that Scanlon really seems to have a connection with, Rehfuss, had a long pole on him and UVA wasn't sliding much to him, so Scanlon was probably covered when Rehfuss dodged. As SU plays defenses that slide more, I'm guessing we'll see Scanlon get more quality shots and more goals. I think Hiltz is pretty similar to Scanlon, but on the other side of the field. He'll make a defender pay for a bad approach, but we're not likely to see him dodge a lot.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Thoughts
Yes. He has a solid track history and season just started. He's usually an excellent finisher, never been much of a dodger. His turn will come.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:38 am
tech37 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:35 am Aside from Phaup = possessions yesterday, the biggest little story could be the emergence of Wykoff on close. Holding Moore, a recent Cuse killer, to a single assist was huge for the D3 transfer and team. His performance might alter season results, allowing Kennedy, SU's one-man wrecking crew and GB vacuum, to play where he's comfortable and most effective.
i agree on the former. he was good. there's a good chance bt wing play and what he did in the open field they'll look at that and want to keep kennedy there. throw in that mids @ carolina especially and at duke have guys you want covered. don't know about nd.

duke's field does tilt to the attack, tho. as good as their mids are. same with umd and rutgers. and a loyola, army.
Why not the latter too wgdsr? I realize it was just one game but Wykoff did shut down, IMO, UVA's best player since Conrad ran out of eligibility. And Moore was huge in the last two meetings with SU, especially the otherwise close ACC Tourney game in Cville. Down the road, possessions by Phaup and/or TOs by Kennedy at midfield (along with shorties Dearth/Aviles) will limit possession time for "attack-tilted' teams like Duke.

Good timing for Wykoff. He will defend both VT's and SB's best attackman until he gets Sowers on 25th. Hoping he's not a "one hit wonder."
Last edited by tech37 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Good timing for Wykoff. He will defend both VT's and SB's best attackman until he gets Sowers on 25th. Hoping he's not a "one hit wonder."
He is not. I have watched him for the past 4 years at Gettysburg, his defense is stellar both on man and the timing of his slides. His groundball and stick skills are fabulous. You guys are going to love him.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”