Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
RumorMill

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by RumorMill »

Duke has O'Neill coming in next year as well.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:40 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:38 pm Why, better academic perception or any specific tangible reasons around specific personnel turning around?

I don't know if an Ivy kids would just thumb their nose at a PSU/OSU (good schools) because they can go to GTown or Duke as a matter of fact.
Academic reputation definitely plays into it but for Sowers specifically, those were two other schools he was seriously considering before he committed to Princeton in 2013. In this article he says his final decision was down to Princeton and Georgetown:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ride/32836
That makes sense though with the strength of the Princeton lacrosse alumni network, and Sowers place within the Princeton lacrosse lore, he'll still have fantastic job prospects even if he enrolls in a joke grad school program and pretty much blows off coursework next spring. Not that he would, but I'm just highlighting that he can make a 100% lacrosse-focused decision without affecting his long-term prospects. He could slide into the Ament role at Penn State pretty easily. As a PA native would he get a discounted tuition on a grad school program there?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:43 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:38 pm Why, better academic perception or any specific tangible reasons around specific personnel turning around?

I don't know if an Ivy kids would just thumb their nose at a PSU/OSU (good schools) because they can go to GTown or Duke as a matter of fact.
Academic reputation definitely plays into it but for Sowers specifically, those were two other schools he was seriously considering before he committed to Princeton in 2013. In this article he says his final decision was down to Princeton and Georgetown:

That makes sense though with the strength of the Princeton lacrosse alumni network, and Sowers place within the Princeton lacrosse lore, he'll still have fantastic job prospects even if he enrolls in a joke grad school program and pretty much blows off coursework next spring. Not that he would, but I'm just highlighting that he can make a 100% lacrosse-focused decision without affecting his long-term prospects. He could slide into the Ament role at Penn State pretty easily. As a PA native would he get a discounted tuition on a grad school program there?
I had not thought about Penn State. He will have options.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I fully expect there to be some full on WAGONS next year - we can guess who (UVa, MD, Duke, PSU, who else? and don't say SU). Wouldn't be expecting Sowers et al to join programs that don't have a realistic chance of winning a title. Ring chasing is going to make this very interesting.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Penn State does have one of the best business schools in the country. Don't know if that's his major or what is, but Penn State's def got some legit very good grad school programs. So he'd be staying home and at a good school, if that's what he wanted
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Will try to keep this at least semi-regularly updated. Italicized some of the "big" names:

Princeton - Michael Sowers (attack), Connor McCarthy (midfield)
Syracuse - Jared Fernandez (LSM)
Penn - Kyle Gallagher (FOGO), Kyle Thornton (defense)
Hopkins - Jack Rapine (defense), Matt Hubler (midfield)
Notre Dame - Charles Leonard (FOGO)
Yale - BJ Burlace (defense)
Ohio State - Josh Kirson (goalie), Christian Tomei (goalie)
Maryland - Drew Morris (goalie), Dylan Pallonetti (attack/midfield)
Utah - Mac Costin (midfield)
Lafayette - Beaudan Szuluk (defense)
St. Joseph's - Mike Adler (goalie)
Albany - Davis Diamond (attack/midfield)
Holy Cross - Justin Lynskey (attack), Kevin Kodzis (attack), Sean Mullaney (midfield)
Bucknell - Will Yorke (attack), Connor Shears (defense), Hunter Newman (LSM), Grayson Burns (attack), Matt Fedorjaka (midfield)
Hofstra - Whit Stopak (attack), Ryan Kinnard (midfield)
Robert Morris - Austin Popovich (midfield)
Bellarmine - Morgan Macko (attack)
Hobart - Sam Lucchesi (goalie), PJ Delpha (defense), Eric Holden (attack)
Merrimack - Davis Cronin (FOGO)
Providence - Sean Lahey (attack)
Colgate - Griffin Brown (attack/midfield), Nicky Petkevich (attack), Parker Baddley (LSM), John Donahue (defense), Cooper Belanger (midfield), Jesse Rosenblatt (attack)
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:54 pm
Penn State does have one of the best business schools in the country. Don't know if that's his major or what is, but Penn State's def got some legit very good grad school programs. So he'd be staying home and at a good school, if that's what he wanted
Dishing to Mac O'keefe has to be attractive to a player like Sowers. As a Terp fan, I want no part of seeing that... :D :D :D :D
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I wonder if the Ivy decision sways other leagues to also follow along?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

First off, how long before we see an IVY, say Harvard, look to annex itself from the Ivy's akin to the Methodist church splitting?

More interestingly, thought some of you might find this note interesting even though Ga Tech isn't a NCAA lacrosse school. I cut the bottom half skipping some of higher level human interest covid notes here:

What are your thoughts on the NCAA granting an additional season of eligibility for spring sports student-athletes?

I am happy that the NCAA Division I Council approved a waiver for student-athletes who participate in spring sports to gain an extra year of eligibility. I think it was the right thing to do following the unprecedented events that led to the cancellation of their 2020 seasons. There are still a lot of details to be worked out but, as always, our No. 1 priority is acting in the best interests of our student-athletes, and we’ll proceed with that priority in mind.

How is the current situation affecting Athletics Initiative 2020?

I’m very happy and grateful to report that AI 2020 remains very much on track. Thanks to very generous donors, we had a strong fundraising month for AI 2020 in March, despite the circumstances. We are now just $5 million shy of reaching the $70 million goal for the crown jewel of AI 2020, the new Edge/Rice Building. Being so close to the goal has allowed us to begin the process of securing financing and finalizing the final scope and design of this cornerstone project. AI 2020, and the Edge/Rice Building in particular, remain a top priority for us because of the role that it will play in the wellness and the athletic, academic and professional development of our student-athletes for generations to come.

Why did you push back the deadline for football season-ticket renewals and the on-sale date for single-game tickets to the “Mayhem at MBS” game against Notre Dame at Mercedes-Benz Stadium?

The answer for both questions is that we wanted to allow our fans some extra time to determine the ticket options that are best for them. Traditionally, many of our most loyal fans – our season-ticket members – wait until the last week of the renewal period to lock in their tickets for the following season, and have been doing so for years. Therefore, we felt that fans who were in the midst of adjusting to new circumstances caused by COVID-19 would benefit from having two extra weeks to submit their renewals. As for single-game tickets for Mayhem at MBS versus Notre Dame, which were originally scheduled to go on sale this week, we felt that many of our fans would benefit from some extra time to decide which ticket option is best for them, as we remain committed to Georgia Tech fans having access to the best seats in the house for this historic game. Just a reminder that if you want to lock in tickets for Mayhem at MBS instead of waiting until single-game tickets go on sale, you can do so now by purchasing a season-ticket package or a Stinger Pass.

Finally, I want to communicate to all of our fans that we want to be flexible during this unprecedented time. If you’d like to purchase football season tickets but need to discuss flexible payment options, please email [email protected] or call 888-TECH TIX to discuss options with a member of our ticket office staff.

Were you disappointed by the announcement that the Masters will be played the same weekend as Mayhem at MBS?

Quite the contrary. I think that the announcement that the Masters will be played on the same weekend as Mayhem at MBS gives our fans, particularly those coming from out of town, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be a part of two extraordinary sporting events in one weekend – the Jackets vs. the Irish at the world’s greatest football stadium in Atlanta, preceded and/or followed by a trip to Augusta for the Masters. I truly think that there are many fans that will take advantage of the opportunity and I’m excited that it has worked out this way.

What is the financial impact of the current situation on Georgia Tech athletics?

We’re still assessing how the COVID-19 pandemic will affect our athletics program financially. As you probably saw, the NCAA recently announced that annual financial distributions to member institutions would be significantly lower this year, due primarily to the cancellation of the Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament. However, we’re still processing the financial ramifications of that announcement at the ACC and institutional levels. Additionally, we will have a loss of ticket and concessions revenue due to the cancellation of our spring seasons – particularly baseball, where we offered refunds to season-ticket members for their full investment in 2020 season tickets. However, there are also some operational savings, which come mainly from the cancellation of spring sport competitions (home and away) and recruiting travel. All of that being said, while it’s too early to tell exactly what that impact of COVID-19 on our finances will be, we anticipate it exceeding $3 million.

Will fall sports be able to start on time?

We are fully planning for our fall sports seasons to go off as scheduled, including the highly anticipated football season opener versus Clemson on Sept. 3, under the lights at Bobby Dodd Stadium. That said, while we are going to continue to proceed with planning for our fall seasons to begin as scheduled, we will follow the lead of the Institute, the University System of Georgia, the city of Atlanta, the state of Georgia and public health experts to determine when it is safe and appropriate to resume with sports. I cannot emphasize this enough – the health and safety of our student-athletes and our entire community is our No. 1 priority and that will be our guiding principle as we continue to navigate this unprecedented situation. I do know this – following the directives of our public health experts is paramount. So please continue to stay at home as much as possible, practice social distancing at all times and wash your hands often. Most importantly, it saves lives. But secondarily, it will help us get back to doing the things that we love to do sooner rather than later.

In closing, I would just like to say that while this is a devastating situation for so many people across the world, the silver lining for me is that I feel that it has put the very best of Georgia Tech on display. I am sure that many of you have seen stories about our campus and our community coming together during this difficult time. Georgia Tech faculty and students have not only been lending a hand to those in need, but also finding innovative solutions to the challenges we face locally, nationally and globally. I have never been prouder to be a Yellow Jacket and a part of this remarkable Institute.

In the words of Coach Collins: Stay Safe. Stay Positive. Stay Strong. I can’t wait to get to the other side of this and welcome the Georgia Tech family back to The Flats!

Together We Swarm,

Todd Stansbury

Director of Athletics
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Now this would be some news for the lacrosse world - no fifth year in the ACC? https://www.thestridereport.com/post/br ... may-follow
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:19 pm First off, how long before we see an IVY, say Harvard, look to annex itself from the Ivy's akin to the Methodist church splitting?

More interestingly, thought some of you might find this note interesting even though Ga Tech isn't a NCAA lacrosse school. I cut the bottom half skipping some of higher level human interest covid notes here:

I will preface this by saying I know nothing about the inner workings of the Ivy League...didn't go to an Ivy school...can't speak to any of their cultures.

But I do follow higher education quite closely, and I have heard some rumblings among the Ivies relative to tuition. Harvard, Princeton, and Yale strongly believe in moving toward a tuition free model, and want the remaining 5 to also consider moving in that direction. It's unclear if all of the remaining 5 could actually afford to implement such a policy. Again, I have only heard rumblings of this, but your comment immediately made me think about it. Given that most Ivies have discount rates for tuition well in excess of 50%, it's safe to say that all of the schools have substantially committed to making their tuition more affordable. Perhaps some here on this forum know better than I do about this.

Personally...if the Ivies do go tuition free, it will result in quite a bit of carnage downstream to smaller schools (both private and state)...but that's just my doomsday siren going off, which this pandemic certainly hasn't helped! Hope everyone is doing well out there. Be safe.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The cynical side of me is thinking....hmm, follow the money, how are schools going to benefit from this 5th year debacle?

Ivy League not so worried about that.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:52 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:19 pm First off, how long before we see an IVY, say Harvard, look to annex itself from the Ivy's akin to the Methodist church splitting?

I will preface this by saying I know nothing about the inner workings of the Ivy League...didn't go to an Ivy school...can't speak to any of their cultures.

But I do follow higher education quite closely, and I have heard some rumblings among the Ivies relative to tuition. Harvard, Princeton, and Yale strongly believe in moving toward a tuition free model, and want the remaining 5 to also consider moving in that direction. It's unclear if all of the remaining 5 could actually afford to implement such a policy. Again, I have only heard rumblings of this, but your comment immediately made me think about it. Given that most Ivies have discount rates for tuition well in excess of 50%, it's safe to say that all of the schools have substantially committed to making their tuition more affordable. Perhaps some here on this forum know better than I do about this.

Personally...if the Ivies do go tuition free, it will result in quite a bit of carnage downstream to smaller schools (both private and state)...but that's just my doomsday siren going off, which this pandemic certainly hasn't helped! Hope everyone is doing well out there. Be safe.
I'm taking a cynical shot of course, but at the same time don't let anyone believe that even a 100 or however year old athletics affiliation will ever surpass money. Every IVY alum here could come here and beg to differ but it's always about the coin at the end of the day. And also cynical that those ahead always look at ways to split and stop sharing with those behind in all parts of life, even if it happens through making it off those behind. (less about this country, had the EU and Germany's crying about "Subsidizing" the Mediterranean countries after greatly benefiting the Germans selling so much product to those countries due to the exchange rate arb allowed at the EMU currency fixing in '98 and consider the Ivy's culturally and philosophically like Europe)

Wrote this elsewhere but I caught up with grad school prof I was close with who's the Dean of the Fox School (MBA) at Temple last fall and chatting a little about enrollment at NE colleges and how many will fail in the next 10-20yrs and he's strongly of the opinion that higher ed is going to head towards this dual model of well funded, high end colleges and universities that run this current model and rest will move more towards fundamentally higher level trade schools more closely gearing their product towards workforce entry (i.e. the vast middle class of liberal arts colleges will be gonzo). I didn't ask him to give me his est of the split, but we're talking between 95/5 to 80/20 split. He's a humble and smart guy, only been in higher ed "Management" for maybe a year, year and a half, so no expert but knew his stuff about his school and their finances (he subsidizes a ton of that overall college, flips them well north of $100MM/yr)

Edit: To add, I like his general theory and worry about my beloved Hobart with it's weak $200MM-ish endowment and running years of operating deficits (and we're not talking within $1MM or so, like Middlebury who can run a $15-$20MM op deficit and it's within the 5% they have to spend to keep tax exempt status so who cares, we are VERY tuition dependent). This makes the present value of getting that money now ultra important and why all our alums need to be outside Abby Johnson's house going "Yo, how come our campus doesn't have half it's buildings named Johnson since you have more dough than Stephen Ross (Mich) or Miller (Miami - LNR)
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

geneva,

Interesting. I remember talking with a British student in the early '80s. He told me that only about 10% of high school graduates (or whatever they call it there) went to college. Of those, about half go to what are considered good schools. The other half, not so good schools.

Before anyone opines on "good" British colleges, and "not so good" british colleges, that is how he put it, not me, I am just repeating.

I thought to myself, we in the US have tons of colleges, and if you want to go, you can go. Somewhere. Haven't thought much about that conversation until reading your post. Maybe we as a nation are moving in that direction? Over the last few years there has been a lot of talk about kids earning degrees and those degrees having little value in the real world. We have a lot of students getting these degrees every year, and working at jobs that clearly don't need a college degree.

Have we reached a tipping point?

Has the current situation changed the game so suddenly? Or has it been going on under the surface, and we are just noticing now?

There are a lot of jobs in "higher education" and "productivity" is very hard to measure. How would many (not all) of the professors, instructors, admin people fare in a job where they are measured everyday on value added?

Interesting times....
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

‘Course Penn State MBA is not a ‘joke’
Grad program, just to clarify.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

QuakerSouth wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:49 pm geneva,

Interesting. I remember talking with a British student in the early '80s. He told me that only about 10% of high school graduates (or whatever they call it there) went to college. Of those, about half go to what are considered good schools. The other half, not so good schools.

Before anyone opines on "good" British colleges, and "not so good" british colleges, that is how he put it, not me, I am just repeating.

I thought to myself, we in the US have tons of colleges, and if you want to go, you can go. Somewhere. Haven't thought much about that conversation until reading your post. Maybe we as a nation are moving in that direction? Over the last few years there has been a lot of talk about kids earning degrees and those degrees having little value in the real world. We have a lot of students getting these degrees every year, and working at jobs that clearly don't need a college degree.

Have we reached a tipping point?

Has the current situation changed the game so suddenly? Or has it been going on under the surface, and we are just noticing now?

There are a lot of jobs in "higher education" and "productivity" is very hard to measure. How would many (not all) of the professors, instructors, admin people fare in a job where they are measured everyday on value added?

Interesting times....
No professor that I know, likes this “distance learning” and no student that I know likes it either.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Yes, I'm hearing that too.
Last edited by QuakerSouth on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How many professors like the stadiums, rock climbing walls and hot tubs that major duckets go to?

How many students and their sponsors (parents and Dept of Ed) like major concentrations in Gender Studies, Chinese Art History and Post modern film?

Hilarious comedian named Neal Brennan, I urge you all to catch this short joke clip. Gets to my point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aczcjP0LfNI
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

nyjay wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:27 pm Now this would be some news for the lacrosse world - no fifth year in the ACC? https://www.thestridereport.com/post/br ... may-follow
I find this hard to believe, ACC is not usually in the business of restricting their programs or putting them at a disadvantage in anyway. Anything is possible of course but I can't see any of the ACC coaches or ADs going for this.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:02 pm
I'm taking a cynical shot of course, but at the same time don't let anyone believe that even a 100 or however year old athletics affiliation will ever surpass money. Every IVY alum here could come here and beg to differ but it's always about the coin at the end of the day. And also cynical that those ahead always look at ways to split and stop sharing with those behind in all parts of life, even if it happens through making it off those behind. (less about this country, had the EU and Germany's crying about "Subsidizing" the Mediterranean countries after greatly benefiting the Germans selling so much product to those countries due to the exchange rate arb allowed at the EMU currency fixing in '98 and consider the Ivy's culturally and philosophically like Europe)

Wrote this elsewhere but I caught up with grad school prof I was close with who's the Dean of the Fox School (MBA) at Temple last fall and chatting a little about enrollment at NE colleges and how many will fail in the next 10-20yrs and he's strongly of the opinion that higher ed is going to head towards this dual model of well funded, high end colleges and universities that run this current model and rest will move more towards fundamentally higher level trade schools more closely gearing their product towards workforce entry (i.e. the vast middle class of liberal arts colleges will be gonzo). I didn't ask him to give me his est of the split, but we're talking between 95/5 to 80/20 split. He's a humble and smart guy, only been in higher ed "Management" for maybe a year, year and a half, so no expert but knew his stuff about his school and their finances (he subsidizes a ton of that overall college, flips them well north of $100MM/yr)

Edit: To add, I like his general theory and worry about my beloved Hobart with it's weak $200MM-ish endowment and running years of operating deficits (and we're not talking within $1MM or so, like Middlebury who can run a $15-$20MM op deficit and it's within the 5% they have to spend to keep tax exempt status so who cares, we are VERY tuition dependent). This makes the present value of getting that money now ultra important and why all our alums need to be outside Abby Johnson's house going "Yo, how come our campus doesn't have half it's buildings named Johnson since you have more dough than Stephen Ross (Mich) or Miller (Miami - LNR)
Higher ed consolidation will occur, and this pandemic/recession will be an extinction event for many schools PA-northward and through the Great Lakes region. That's been in the works for a decade with changing demographics, with a rebound happening at the end of this decade. The unknown is how many schools will go under. Can the big State U's absorb all of the slack? Which of the mid-range schools will benefit from the new demand in the wake of closures? Total unknowns but people try to model it. In the PHL-area with like a billion schools a 60-mile radius, some will go under (LaSalle, Immaculata at the top of the list). If LaSalle goes, do they all flood over to St. Joe's, which isn't exactly in good shape, either? Rinse and repeat for the the Boston area. Parts of NY will be okay, parts won't. NJ looks better than either area. MD and southward will see growth. That's the challenge...the consolidation won't be evenly distributed across the country. Gonna be a wild ride.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”