Cornell 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Gobigred

Re: Cornell 2021

Post by Gobigred »

sanelaxparent wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 am A Stanford degree is more than 'marginally' more prestigious than a Cornell degree....
This is nonsense.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Gobigred wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:34 pm
sanelaxparent wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 am A Stanford degree is more than 'marginally' more prestigious than a Cornell degree....
This is nonsense.
My original post said "respected" versus "prestigious". I'm not sure that academic respect for Cornell lags Sanford materially for undergraduate programs. Although, if one is so inclined, I am sure that distinctions can always be made.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I have degrees from both Cornell and Stanford. I am staying far FAR away from this discussion. :lol:
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

geez its what you know not where you go
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:07 pm I have degrees from both Cornell and Stanford. I am staying far FAR away from this discussion. :lol:
How about setting undergrad academics aside and opine on campus aesthetics?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

I like this twist. Gotta admit, my eyes wandered more than once to the little hottie coeds in The Crescent.
Never been to a Stanford game. Do tell.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I mean it’s not Arizona State, South Carolina exactly, but native norther California chicks, distinct from southern cal ones who are hot in their own way, have this wholesome, natural hotness, like the best of a high quality New England girl except more active, into being outdoors and a little happier and with less clothing (but again not Southern school wardrobes, little classier).

It’s funny, I was actually referring to the campus and Pali Alto, which as much as I like Ithaca and think of Cornell’s campus, which I’ve spent plenty of time on, perhaps the only college campus in the country that can rival Stanford’s is Pepperdine which sits on a cliff over the ocean in basically Malibu.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yeah but they don't have Taughannock Falls.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

More importantly they don’t have anything like being upper class in high school and early college summers going to the grass roots festival in Trumasnburg and getting about as hedonistic as you want to with not a care in the world! Rain or shine.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Kinda surprised at how much you like the Stanford campus, FFG; all that sandstone and tile roofs never did much for me. And DMac is right about the Falls in Ithaca! IMO, the Stanford natural setting is much less impressive. (As for Pepperdine, I've driven past it a number of times on Rte.1 but never spent any time on the campus; the setting is so spectacular that the building are largely irrelevant.)

As a science nerd grad student at Stanford, the undergrad coeds were at some remove from me. Happily I met my wife-to-be while there, even though neither she nor the mutual friend who introduced us had a Stanford connection.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:44 am Kinda surprised at how much you like the Stanford campus, FFG; all that sandstone and tile roofs never did much for me. And DMac is right about the Falls in Ithaca! IMO, the Stanford natural setting is much less impressive. (As for Pepperdine, I've driven past it a number of times on Rte.1 but never spent any time on the campus; the setting is so spectacular that the building are largely irrelevant.)

As a science nerd grad student at Stanford, the undergrad coeds were at some remove from me. Happily I met my wife-to-be while there, even though neither she nor the mutual friend who introduced us had a Stanford connection.
I mean as an upstate guy who’s spent a ton of time in and around Ithaca for decades I think a ton of Cornell and Ithaca. But just overall breadth, openness and, fair or not, better weather.

Here’s a Stanford MA (2011) in Journalism:

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrissyfarr/ ... 0383371264 (One in left)

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrissyfarr/ ... 0564769792

(Gotta scroll way down to end for pic but a nice one)
https://informationcradle.com/christina-farr/
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

With a general thought that "time flys", 2021 will be the 50th anniversary of the NCAA tournament, and the 50th anniversary of Cornell's 1971 NCAA Championship team.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

faircornell wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:05 am With a general thought that "time flys", 2021 will be the 50th anniversary of the NCAA tournament, and the 50th anniversary of Cornell's 1971 NCAA Championship team.
And that great team has only one National Lacrosse Hall of Fame inductee, Bob Rule, who didn't even play in the championship game due to injury. He was the 1st Team All-America goalie that year, but his understudy Bob Buhmann won the NC game between the pipes and was chosen Honorable Mention All-America, the only time in history two goalies from the same team were chosen All America the same year. Bob Shaw was the MVP of that team and still awaits National Lacrosse Hall of Fame induction. Bob was a three time All America, 1st in 1971, 2nd in 1972 and 3rd in 1970, the latter on the undefeated Big Red Team that was snubbed for National Champion consideration. He was also three time 1st Team All Ivy and graduated with the highest points/game for a middie in Ivy League history. He played center midfield, taking faceoffs and staying on the field to play both ways. Bob is inducted into two regional halls of fame, Upstate New York and California and played club, professionally and for the USA internationally in 1974. 2021 would be about 40 years late but would be a great year for it to happen.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just curious if any Cornell fans pay attention to recruits while in Hs and might’ve followed a kid named Zach Delaney who was a commit but switched about a year ago to Hobart? Coach Raymond has been particularly effusive w praise of him more than I’ve heard him talk about a FR in the past (including Ryan Archer who was IL ranked and Jason Knox who was a known quantity coming out of Canada).

May just be a new approach by our coach but in 7yrs this situational praise caught my attention. Thanks in advance if anyone has any insights on Zach.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:46 am
faircornell wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:05 am With a general thought that "time flys", 2021 will be the 50th anniversary of the NCAA tournament, and the 50th anniversary of Cornell's 1971 NCAA Championship team.
And that great team has only one National Lacrosse Hall of Fame inductee, Bob Rule, who didn't even play in the championship game due to injury. He was the 1st Team All-America goalie that year, but his understudy Bob Buhmann won the NC game between the pipes and was chosen Honorable Mention All-America, the only time in history two goalies from the same team were chosen All America the same year. Bob Shaw was the MVP of that team and still awaits National Lacrosse Hall of Fame induction. Bob was a three time All America, 1st in 1971, 2nd in 1972 and 3rd in 1970, the latter on the undefeated Big Red Team that was snubbed for National Champion consideration. He was also three time 1st Team All Ivy and graduated with the highest points/game for a middie in Ivy League history. He played center midfield, taking faceoffs and staying on the field to play both ways. Bob is inducted into two regional halls of fame, Upstate New York and California and played club, professionally and for the USA internationally in 1974. 2021 would be about 40 years late but would be a great year for it to happen.
Shaw was an inaugural member of the Cornell Hall of Fame. I believe that he is of Native American heritage. Given US Lacrosse's seeming desire to have better relations with the Native American community, this might be something for them to consider.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

faircornell wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:01 pm
Shaw was an inaugural member of the Cornell Hall of Fame. I believe that he is of Native American heritage. Given US Lacrosse's seeming desire to have better relations with the Native American community, this might be something for them to consider.
Bob is not Native American but played on his high school team in Syracuse with Native Americans including great wooden stick maker Alf Jacques.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I doubt those two were ever on the same HS lacrosse field at the same time, let alone played with one another.
Listen to the first few minutes of this podcast (click on at 2:30).
https://laxgoalierat.com/bob-rule/#
Alfie played at LaFayette HS (where I did play against him).
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:28 pm I doubt those two were ever on the same HS lacrosse field at the same time, let alone played with one another.
Listen to the first few minutes of this podcast (click on at 2:30).
https://laxgoalierat.com/bob-rule/#
Alfie played at LaFayette HS (where I did play against him).
Notably, your doubts are not facts. https://www.greatersyracusesportshallof ... ayette-lax
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, my bad, I guess. Had you put Shaw after Bob I would have seen you were referring to him rather than Rule (who is also mentioned in the post and who I thought you were talking about).
That LaFayette team was every bit as good as the article states. As an opposing attackman, one just mostly stood and watched the game from the other end.
Oh, and Happy New Year. :D
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

laxfan1313 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:56 am
faircornell wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:01 pm
Bob is not Native American but played on his high school team in Syracuse with Native Americans including great wooden stick maker Alf Jacques.
Thanks for the clarification.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”