Pro N Cons Another Season Senior Eligibilty

D1 Mens Lacrosse
njfanlax

Re: Pro N Cons Another Season Senior Eligibilty

Post by njfanlax »

The NCAA decision to allow for a 5th year for all spring athletes because the loss of > 50% of the season only benefits a SMALL subset of players - college seniors (for the next 4 years) who possess all 3 factors: athletic aptitude (enough to be coveted by a college coach to continue to play), financial independence (sufficient family wealth or external wealth provided by the school), and the extra time to devote another year to playing sports. The other NCAA athletes do not benefit. The unintended consequence of helping this small constituency is that it significantly hurts a lot of players (current and future collegiate) who are further upstream.

1. Underclassmen are hurt by losing playing time and losing scholarship money. Example 1: a junior who was expected to finally start as a senior is now blocked from being able to ever play during his/her college career. Example 2: a teammate loses significant portion of his scholarship money for next year to a 5th year senior and can no longer afford to attend the school.
2. Current HS players (Class of 2020-2023) face the same hurdles as the underclassmen when they get to college. For the Class of 2022 and, 2023, the additional 5th year players could hurt them during college recruiting. Examples: A Class of 2022 player who would have been recruited by a high D1 program (the previous year) is now playing for a D3 program. Tens of thousands of HS players who would have been recruited to play one of the 14 spring NCAA sports are no longer recruited, prematurely ending their sports careers.

Colleges don't benefit from the NCAA decision. There are 14 NCAA spring sports- all non-revenue generating. Effectively enlarging all spring sports team sizes could be a significant expense for 1 school. Smaller colleges may find it difficult to do so in these hard financial times. If scholarship money also has to be increased, it could be an unbearable expense for a lot more.

The sports themselves (e.g. lacrosse, baseball, softball) are not helped from the NCAA decision that is basically designed to allow some players to play at the college level for a longer period of time. This action doesn't grow these sports- it doesn't attract more players to the game. It actually hurts each sport if fewer HS players are recruited so the # of players who participate in collegiate athletics actually shrink.

After weighing the PRO vs CON of another season of senior eligibility, I think the NCAA decision is terribly misguided and cannot be justified.
Last edited by njfanlax on Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Think it's important to note that all the good players at Air Force, Army and Navy are probably disappointed that they lost much of a season too.

But none will not be coming back for a masters degree and lax...or taking a 5th year.

Thanks and hats off to them for their commitment and bravery.
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

Just a couple of thoughts.
The scholarship money is spread so thin across teams that it probably won't make or break many players for a year.
For the HS kids that might not have a spot at one of the 70 D1 teams have 250 D3 teams they can look at. For may of those kids that are losing a spot on a D1 roster probably weren't getting any money and would have been stuck on the bench for 4 years anyway. If they now expand there search to D3 or even D2 they can probably find a chance to actually play college lacrosse instead of watching it from the sideline.
I like that the NCAA is giving players an option. Some will take it and some will not, but at least they have a choice.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:37 pm Think it's important to note that all the good players at Air Force, Army and Navy are probably disappointed that they lost much of a season too.

But none will not be coming back for a masters degree and lax...or taking a 5th year.

Thanks and hats off to them for their commitment and bravery.
+1 Well said and great perspective.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

relaxedfan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:41 pm Just a couple of thoughts.
The scholarship money is spread so thin across teams that it probably won't make or break many players for a year.
For the HS kids that might not have a spot at one of the 70 D1 teams have 250 D3 teams they can look at. For may of those kids that are losing a spot on a D1 roster probably weren't getting any money and would have been stuck on the bench for 4 years anyway. If they now expand there search to D3 or even D2 they can probably find a chance to actually play college lacrosse instead of watching it from the sideline.
I like that the NCAA is giving players an option. Some will take it and some will not, but at least they have a choice.
You raise some of valid points.

Yes, scholarship money isn't a big deal for most players. But it could be for a select few.

The statement that the D1 kid who gets moved down to D3 might not be a bad thing is kind of like saying that being forced to give up driving a Porsche 911 for a Honda Accord also isn't a bad thing. They both are good cars and will reliably get you to where you need to go. Many people don't care what kind of car they drive. But for a lot of people, the type of car they drive is extremely important to them and they care about it A LOT. I think most players who want to play D1 would not consider being FORCED instead to play D3 as a positive or roughly equivalent outcome.

Yes, the NCAA is giving SOME players an option. Some will take it and some will not, and they are the only ones that get a choice. But at the same time, the NCAA is effectively removing options for others (who are further back). It is essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul. That's not fair and I don't like that.

It's also ironic that this year's seniors (the players who many think are most deserving of playing another year because there is no next year for them) could be the group that is least likely to take advantage of the NCAA's assistance because they may have already made unchangeable plans for next year.
Last edited by njfanlax on Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

And what about the DIII players? The guys who play now get relegated to subs, and the guys who are subs get relegated to no playing time. The guys who never played and wanted to be a part of a college team...they're history?

So are those the guys who ultimately pay the price?
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

QuakerSouth wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:15 pm And what about the DIII players? The guys who play now get relegated to subs, and the guys who are subs get relegated to no playing time. The guys who never played and wanted to be a part of a college team...they're history?

I’m really confused about all this talk of paying the price and fairness..... everyone is impacted and nothing is truly fair. This is competitive sports, let them compete if they want and can, there are no guarantees..... that is the most fair.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Not sure about that. No dog in the hunt here, but lots of moving pieces for sure.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

some great thoughts and comments from the last handful of posts. The only thing I wonder is that some are saying the money is not that big of a deal for too many of the players. I can tell you that if my kids lose any of their Athletic Scholarship, they will not be able to attend and play at the college they are at. My son has told me that a couple of kids on his team are pretty worried as they are not getting alot of money, but are getting some, and if they lose any of it, it could be the difference of being able to attend that school since they can't get co signers for loans outside of the federal loans. Many of these kids have become middle of the road players since getting to the school. So they are thinking they are going to lose some of their money.

Maybe this is just a small pocket at one school and is not the norm, but I have to imagine that there are many others in the same situation. So I know I have told my son he better make sure he keeps on staying valuable to the coach that he keeps getting the same amount of money. Just like in the workforce. Better make yourself valuable, or when a RIF happens you will be the first to lose your job. Good life lesson. In other words "No one cares, work harder". I know that sounds harsh. But its the truth in most cases.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Justafan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:52 pm some great thoughts and comments from the last handful of posts. The only thing I wonder is that some are saying the money is not that big of a deal for too many of the players. I can tell you that if my kids lose any of their Athletic Scholarship, they will not be able to attend and play at the college they are at. My son has told me that a couple of kids on his team are pretty worried as they are not getting alot of money, but are getting some, and if they lose any of it, it could be the difference of being able to attend that school since they can't get co signers for loans outside of the federal loans. Many of these kids have become middle of the road players since getting to the school. So they are thinking they are going to lose some of their money.

Maybe this is just a small pocket at one school and is not the norm, but I have to imagine that there are many others in the same situation. So I know I have told my son he better make sure he keeps on staying valuable to the coach that he keeps getting the same amount of money. Just like in the workforce. Better make yourself valuable, or when a RIF happens you will be the first to lose your job. Good life lesson. In other words "No one cares, work harder". I know that sounds harsh. But its the truth in most cases.
I think this is a reality on most teams. The other important part is that it now more important than ever to focus on school and grades. Schools can help with academic scholarship money too, but only if the players do well in school. The players have more time to focus on studying and home work now that the season has ended. But, they need to do their part in the classroom. It is a good life lesson.
Homer

Post by Homer »

QuakerSouth wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:15 pm And what about the DIII players? The guys who play now get relegated to subs, and the guys who are subs get relegated to no playing time. The guys who never played and wanted to be a part of a college team...they're history?

Unclear at this point, I think. At the lower-level D3 schools lacrosse (like athletics generally) is typically an enrollment strategy, meaning those coaches will very likely have a mandate from the administration to take as many athletes as can academically qualify. This may indeed be a matter of desperate urgency for those schools' bottom line over the next few cycles.

Just looking at a couple programs around the 25th percentile of D3 (per Laxbytes) -- Marietta has 30 players listed on the roster. Westminster (Pa) has 35. I think rather than seeing those athletes squeezed out, you'd probably see rosters at those and similar programs expanding up to 45-50 to meet the extra demand.

On the other hand, to the extent schools at that level could be vulnerable to closing or dropping athletics altogether, that could negate any increase in the number of available spots.
cc2519

Post by cc2519 »

relaxedfan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:41 pm Just a couple of thoughts.
I wonder - how will this affect kids who can afford to NOT take scholarship money vs those that need the money? Another potential unintended consequence?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njfanlax wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:07 pmNCAA Medical Hardship Policy for Division 1 players

NCAA Division I – An athlete must not have participated in more than three contests or 30 percent of their season schedule (whichever is greater) and not after the halfway point of the season (based on the number of contests rather than a particular date).

I think every college team in all 14 NCAA spring sports has already played over 3 games this season. So I’m not sure how anyone would qualify for a redshirt waiver.

So should they be unilaterally bending the rules for the approximately 150,000 NCAA spring sport athletes who lost out on the majority of this season?
it says whichever is greater. a whole lot of athletes wouldn't have hit the 30% mark (it's actually 30%+ including your last contest)... for lacrosse it's if you stepped on the field in 30%+ spring scrimmages + games, divided by total scrimmages and games held + 1 conference tourney game if your team is in one.
so if your team ended up with 16 or so of those contests, you'd be able to play in 5. if you were healthy and a starter/regularly got on the field, you'd be over your allotment. ironically, if you were hurt for a couple games, you probably wouldn't be.
baseball, though -- many teams were right about on the line. if you were a pitcher, you definitely wouldn't be over. and maybe most players have some games off here and there as well. so most baseball players would be under 30%.
bottom line is, his analogy can be considered relevant.
Bart

Post by Bart »

RedIvy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:34 pm

I’m really confused about all this talk of paying the price and fairness..... everyone is impacted and nothing is truly fair. This is competitive sports, let them compete if they want and can, there are no guarantees..... that is the most fair.
Couldn't agree more. Everyone is impacted. Everyone lost a year. Nothing is truly fair, some lost the year at the beginning of their career, some at the end and some in the middle. Nothing about it is fair. Attempting to correct the injustice of the situation may only perpetuate the situation.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Lacrosse is an "enrollment strategy" for many schools at all divisions. It's designed to feed three pieces of the admissions puzzle:

1) Lacrosse provides scads of full-pay students due to the upscale demographic playing it. For tuition-dependent schools, the full-pay families enable much of the financial aid-diversity enrollment that many of these schools crave, especially private schools trying to rectify the opportunity imbalance inherent in private education.

2) Lacrosse provides male students. With over 55% female of enrollment at many schools due to the superior achievement and admissions credentials of female students, many schools need more males to create a more balanced student body.

3) Finally, lax players are at the top of the prospective donor pool - Many lax players have a great time in college, then go into lucrative businesses fields after college, inherit more money from their affluent families down the line and become bigger college donors when they get to their 50s and 60s. Again, these are the kind of students that colleges crave.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

The full Division I Council will discuss and vote on eligibility relief for student-athletes whose seasons were impacted by COVID-19 and other related issues on March 30.
DI Council makes additional COVID-19 decisions
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Good for him, and nicely done.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Classy
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

If many seniors elect to move on with their career as expected. Will most teams be void of seniors on the roster with double the Freshman class next year. Will there be a new name for sophomores/Juniors/Seniors who are eligible for an extra year ? Next year it wont be Senior Captain Johns last year as he will have another year to play if he chooses.

Next year will be strange and the following four years with a double Freshman/Soph 4 years of eligibility class coming along with some players graduating as planned and deciding to join workforce instead of using their extra year and some deciding to stay.

I suspect each year fans will be on pins and needles waiting on a starter with another year of eligibility to stay or graduate and move on.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”