Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Brooklyn »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:56 am Umm, What the heck?

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1410631953460641796

Jeepers. What can the problem possibly be? There's an easy solution for all that:

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/producti ... ?size=pdhi

https://th.bing.com/th?id=OP.2%2bOZ5HTs ... 5&pid=21.1

You don't have to use these all time. A simple way to maintain cleanliness is just to soak it all in white vinegar and then wipe it off.

Can anything be easier to fix??
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Cast Iron cooking for me, either stove top or on the grill.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:23 pm Cast Iron cooking for me, either stove top or on the grill.
+1 I should own stock in the Lodge Cast Iron Cookware company. I have 3 pans and am considering getting a dutch oven. I did kabobs this week and they were a step above awesome. Cast iron puts the best sear on a steak. I can heat that flat skillet to 600 degrees and the sizzle is music to the ears. :)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You boys probably missed my mulberry binge, I posted it in the wlax section for those huckleberries. Mac's the name, mulberries the game. Discovered a mulberry bush I never knew was there, went a little nuts picking them, things are crazy good. Made a bunch of syrup...sweet delight from the gods...crazy good stuff. Have now made some other pretty tasty treats. Puffed pastry dough is pretty incredible, can make a non baker look good.

Mulberry syrup in that bottle.
Mighty tasty stuff.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:59 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:23 pm Cast Iron cooking for me, either stove top or on the grill.
+1 I should own stock in the Lodge Cast Iron Cookware company. I have 3 pans and am considering getting a dutch oven. I did kabobs this week and they were a step above awesome. Cast iron puts the best sear on a steak. I can heat that flat skillet to 600 degrees and the sizzle is music to the ears. :)
Curious cradle ....what is your choice for keeping your pans seasoned? Me, after it cools, I lightly scrub it with hot water with a light scouring pad, then put it on the stove top, medium heat, and lightly coat it w/crisco on a paper towel. Every few uses I'll hit it with a light soapy water, as long as it is seasoned well.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:28 pm You boys probably missed my mulberry binge, I posted it in the wlax section for those huckleberries. Mac's the name, mulberries the game. Discovered a mulberry bush I never knew was there, went a little nuts picking them, things are crazy good. Made a bunch of syrup...sweet delight from the gods...crazy good stuff. Have now made some other pretty tasty treats. Puffed pastry dough is pretty incredible, can make a non baker look good.

Mulberry syrup in that bottle.
Interesting, you made me look up the difference mulberry vs blackberry. Here in MD, we seem to only get them on bushes, mainly roadside. One of my favorite fruits. Have used them to infuse vodka as well.

Love how you are always dabbling in all things.

Have a great weekend sir!
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:28 pm
Curious cradle ....what is your choice for keeping your pans seasoned? Me, after it cools, I lightly scrub it with hot water with a light scouring pad, then put it on the stove top, medium heat, and lightly coat it w/crisco on a paper towel. Every few uses I'll hit it with a light soapy water, as long as it is seasoned well.
I have always been told cast iron should never touch water ever. I heat mine up, put a little vegetable oil and scrub it with a scotch pad. They make a pad for heavy scrubbing. Then I wipe it down with a thin coat of vegetable oil
DMac

Post by DMac »

I love my cast iron frying pan, they're just the best for a lot of things. Great for pizza making too. I've pre heated it before putting the dough in and have put the dough in there without pre heating, both work pretty good. I use a pizza stone now though, they're the best. I find that a lot of this stuff about maintaining your pan is unnecessary and I treat mine like any other frying pan, and that includes scrubbing it with a Brillo pad. Sure doesn't seem to have any ill effects on the pan to me. If you ate something I cooked in there I highly doubt you'd say, "Gee, you must've scrubbed your cast iron pan with a Brillo pad, this doesn't taste right." Of course I dry it then put a coat of vegetable oil on it every time and it sure works like a champ for me.
https://www.seriouseats.com/the-truth-about-cast-iron
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Great discussion.....yep, as long as you have well seasoned pans, a quick water and soap cleaning will not hurt it.

All three Cast Iron going at the same time:
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Very nice, youth!!!
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:16 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:28 pm
I have always been told cast iron should never touch water ever. I heat mine up, put a little vegetable oil and scrub it with a scotch pad. They make a pad for heavy scrubbing. Then I wipe it down with a thin coat of vegetable oil
I have several cast iron pans but none are from Lodge that’s because they were all handed down from my mom so they’re probably well over 70 years old. I always use lightly soapy water and now use a silicone scrubber. There’s no real good reason not to use soapy water. I will soak if food is baked on. It’s good to wash the outside too so grease doesn’t get baked on. I then heat it to dry and wipe down with veg oil and paper towel.

I have a medium and large skillet and Dutch oven and I use them for everything except boiling. Also have a cast iron cornbread stick pan and two deBuyer (French) stamped iron pans that are often seen in top professional kitchens. They’re excellent and are my preferred pans for fish cookery.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I have to go to a woman who IMO was the ultimate authority in cast iron cooking, at least where fried chicken was concerned. My friend and I would often escape Ft Bragg on weekends and drive to his hometown of Marion, NC. My friends aunt Tildy use to send us off every Sunday with her fried chicken. Tildy would pull out a cast iron skillet that had been in her family since the civil war. I guarantee to all of you that skillet never saw water in it's lifetime and guessing her daughter and grandkids are still using it today. My mom had a cast iron pan that also never saw soap and water. It was wiped down with a cloth and oiled. I can't argue with you guys. I know the theory is that soap and water breaks down the seasoning in the pan. I only go with what I know. If it was good enough for Aunt Tildy and my mom it is good enough for me. I know my pans get a ton of use and they are always at the ready when called on. They are scrubbed and cleaned but they never see water...ever.
DMac

Post by DMac »

DMac's divinely delicious mulberry jam.
The early bird gets the worm but he don't
beat DMac to dat mulberry bush.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I need an opinion from you culinary experts out there. Your making chicken cacciatore. Do you use chicken breast or bone in chicken thighs?I am a solid advocate for bone in thighs. No matter how good a chef you are, chicken breasts will dry out.

I am biased because my mom's signature dish was cacciatore. Half the fun of the dish was the meat falling off the bone and never dried out.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:50 pm I need an opinion from you culinary experts out there. Your making chicken cacciatore. Do you use chicken breast or bone in chicken thighs?I am a solid advocate for bone in thighs. No matter how good a chef you are, chicken breasts will dry out.

I am biased because my mom's signature dish was cacciatore. Half the fun of the dish was the meat falling off the bone and never dried out.
Thighs for sure. If you do the slow cooker or dutch oven you could certainly add both and compare in one sitting.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:09 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:50 pm I need an opinion from you culinary experts out there. Your making chicken cacciatore. Do you use chicken breast or bone in chicken thighs?I am a solid advocate for bone in thighs. No matter how good a chef you are, chicken breasts will dry out.

Thighs for sure. If you do the slow cooker or dutch oven you could certainly add both and compare in one sitting.
That is a thought. I only remember the sauce and thighs simmering on my mom's stove all afternoon. I had the dish last night at a most outstanding restaurant by my house. Their food is legendary. The dish was spot on delicious except the chicken breast was as dry as a bone. My experience cooking chicken breast has always been problematic. It just dries out so dog gone fast no matter how hard you try not to. My go to method for chicken breast is my cast iron pan and frying it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Going to a barbeque with my work team.....gonna be a great day.

a bunch of the men have had USDA prime brisket's smoking all night, another has been up since 5 making ribs. I just finished up my homemade pimento cheese dip.

Today is "gonna" be a good day. 8-)

~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:48 am Going to a barbeque with my work team.....gonna be a great day.

a bunch of the men have had USDA prime brisket's smoking all night, another has been up since 5 making ribs. I just finished up my homemade pimento cheese dip.

Hope you started the day out with a Bloody Mary or two cuz those smoker and rib boys are gonna be hammered by the time you get there. Have fun, sounds like a good time....plenty of good eats too.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:58 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:48 am Going to a barbeque with my work team.....gonna be a great day.

Hope you started the day out with a Bloody Mary or two cuz those smoker and rib boys are gonna be hammered by the time you get there. Have fun, sounds like a good time....plenty of good eats too.
My mouth is watering...weather should clear in time for supper...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:16 pm DMac's divinely delicious mulberry jam.
The early bird gets the worm but he don't
beat DMac to dat mulberry bush.
man, that looks good...so...wondering whether one can cultivate mulberries and huckleberries and what the right conditions are?

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”