Hobart 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2020

Post by Laxgunea »

I saw Knox go down on the field one time, but missed the shot that took him down. Then HE was called for the penalty ... I had no idea what that was about. But when I said he didn't look too good, I meant he looked off kilter ... wondered if he was not feeling well.
Overall, I thought the game was called decently, by which I mean that both teams did what they were called for. But I thought that as the score went up, Canisius got some no-calls. We killed penalties well, but I don't think that will be so easy against a better team. The worst of our calls came from lack of discipline, so hopefully those disappear.
Thought the goal of the game was Archer's backhand no-look shot. From where I was, it should be a SportsCenter highlight shot. And, it was good payback for when he was tackled into the crease and they called him for it.
OBM, I agree on Sienna. Sunday is a good day to relax, but tomorrow it is time to get Sienna in focus.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I totally missed how Knox went down just saw him down and ted pontificating about a penalty on Canisius. Did notice Yanko get jacked 2-3 times and archer and knox at least once in the crease w no calls.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:28 pm I totally missed how Knox went down just saw him down and ted pontificating about a penalty on Canisius. Did notice Yanko get jacked 2-3 times and archer and knox at least once in the crease w no calls.
I was able to scrub back the video and see that Knox got tangled up with the Canisius defender on the ride. Totally innocent but it appeared he either rolled his ankle or they knocked knees.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Hope Knox will be alright. He is an important part of our offense. Even if he isn'rt scoring, he draws a lot of attention from the defense. If he can't go, I'd put Yanko on the crease.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:06 pm Hope Knox will be alright. He is an important part of our offense. Even if he isn'rt scoring, he draws a lot of attention from the defense. If he can't go, I'd put Yanko on the crease.
Agree on Yanko
Hope he gets a good deal of PT, he does a lot of nice things
Is anyone else concerned that we only had 1 assisted goal of the 14 in the first half?

Not sure we will have that kind of success dodging against guys like Kennedy, Dearth, Mellins at ‘Cuse?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I had thought about the lack of assists and some of it may be how weak Canisius was (even as good as Buck is he had two goals until basically the end of the third quarter and put his stats up on kids who are going to be deep reserves this year) I thought most of the 6 on 6 passing was pretty crisp and there was a ton of off ball movement and weaving which seemed to have the impact of pass one timers or other assisted goals in a sense, forcing a lot more defensive movement and sliding.

Or I’m justifying the lack of assisted goals with all of this and we will see if it matters in the Cuse, Cornell, RoMo and Bryant games.

I hope they just maintain momentum. But I do truly believe we have some elite shooting unlike most of the DI era. Maybe not any “boomer” 10mph short but Holden and Scott looked amazing, I’m not worried about Knox, Madonna picked up where he left off, Mott shot much improved over the last two years, Herlihy and Grooms looked good, particularly Herlihy and Simas was more on point that he was last year. Archer looked pretty good and Mitrow had a nice shot too.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Looks like Saturday's game is scheduled for Stiles Field. I guess that's a better situation than at the Boz. I'm sure hoping that the following week's game will be played outside so that I can see the team play. Despite their two losses Colgate seems like a tough out. They are always a bear to play.

Just BTW, I'm not concerned at all by the lack of assists in last week's game. If we had not been able to run by the Canisius players so easily we would have had a lot more assisted goals. That's how well we were moving the ball.
WoodStick

Post by WoodStick »

Terrific start to the season albeit against a team that might not be that strong. The offense certainly appears to have picked up from where it was last year even with the loss of a couple of key contributors. Loved seeing the defense press out, that is exactly what superior teams do, they impose their will against a lesser opponent.

Saw that there was some mention of having to play this game indoors, and this is exactly what was envisioned when the Poole Center was built. Yes, it is unfortunate that attendance is so tightly managed but a small price to pay for what in the end is a huge advantage for our athletes and one that will pay dividends for years to come. The facility is awesome and almost unheard of for a school of our size. Kudos to Tom and everyone else who stepped up.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:11 pm I had thought about the lack of assists and some of it may be how weak Canisius was (even as good as Buck is he had two goals until basically the end of the third quarter and put his stats up on kids who are going to be deep reserves this year) I thought most of the 6 on 6 passing was pretty crisp and there was a ton of off ball movement and weaving which seemed to have the impact of pass one timers or other assisted goals in a sense, forcing a lot more defensive movement and sliding.

Or I’m justifying the lack of assisted goals with all of this and we will see if it matters in the Cuse, Cornell, RoMo and Bryant games.

Perhaps you are correct and the movement weaving etc.. will create opportunities. Certainly good to see , so much better than a few years back when we'd see 5 guys standing still watching one dodge.
watched the Cornell intra-squad scrimmage last week, which was run like a full game , clock , refs and some alums . They looked good. The middies really impressed , big , fast , strong
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Lack of assists isn't a problem unless we dont adjust when we face a more nimble defense. I agree with wooden stick on the Bubble. It is too bad more cant fit in there to watch, but it is a huge advantage that we can practice and play there. Folks at the Colleges tell me others get to use it too, and it relieves pressure on the use of the fieldhouse.
Hope Sienna shows us a different look so we can how well they adjust.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:19 pm Lack of assists isn't a problem unless we dont adjust when we face a more nimble defense. I agree with wooden stick on the Bubble. It is too bad more cant fit in there to watch, but it is a huge advantage that we can practice and play there. Folks at the Colleges tell me others get to use it too, and it relieves pressure on the use of the fieldhouse.
Hope Sienna shows us a different look so we can how well they adjust.
Siena will definitely be a different look. First off, they'll lock off Knox after last year's performance. They have a full year of getting to know their coaches system and will be a better team. One game at a time..............
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Siena was picked behind Canisius by coaches, Il and Fanlax “experts” so I’m not sure they’ll be much better than Canisius. I also would be willing to wager Knox, assuming he’s healthy, that he won’t be shutout a second straight game. In fact he may not be 9/11 but I’d betting he scores more than once on sat.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Hobart senior Eric Holden has been named to the Tewarraton watch list . Congrats Eric!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What’s the over/under in when (if) we see game notes?
gt4623

Post by gt4623 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:25 pm What’s the over/under in when (if) we see game notes?
Not sure who's at fault here but I have been very underwhelmed by HWS athletics communications over the past several years. Just don't seem to get much right and, quite frankly, I feel like there is a lack of professionalism with how they have conducted themselves. Blatant errors/typos (most recent example in season preview Delpha listed as transferring from Herkimer) complete lack of social media presence (Cortland and many other peer schools do a great job of this) and tardiness of getting out even the most basic news/publications is frustrating. Not to mention completely missing when certain athletes get honored and not even reporting on it until months later (few occasions over the years). I understand we have limited resources but I keep tabs on other schools in the D3 community and feel we aren't even up to snuff with them. Maybe I'm just being overly critical but I think it casts the department in a poor light and doesn't reflect well on Alums or prospective athletes for that matter. Heres hoping AD Steward can iron out these discrepancies over time.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Trust me you aren’t alone. Multiple folks who post here would agree with you. It’s a higher level, management issue that’s plagued the school since at least the early 2000s. And even by D3 football standards it’s not a top half of peer set performer. Perpetually optimistic. But hey we tore up all the medbury parking for a performing arts center that runs at like 15% capacity utilization and sucked up basically every dollar President gearan raised in his tenure so we’ve got that going for us!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Count me in as one who is a tad critical of our media presence (or lack thereof). Our website looks a lot better now than it did before the rebranding (I love the new Statesmen logo), but the content still lags behind. And the errors are just terrifying. I cringed when they had Delpha transferring in from Herkimer. Maybe the answer is to let students (as in an intern) fill the content?
Had to edit this since I had given out incorrect info earlier. The game recap was not written by a WS student. The picture used for the recap was snapped by a WS student. The game recap itself was fine- I should emphasize that.
On the bright side, we are very fortunate to have a free video feed (even if it does cut out occasionally). Most schools do not have that. And we have WEOS and its fantastic duo of Baker and Mapstone. Are they homers? You bet, but I wouldn‘t have it any other way. :D
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

Damn streaming not working again
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

The media presence is really bad
The website is far below standard
Roster pix not up until the second game
Every other school has them in the fall or first week of January

No streaming again today