Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dip&Dunk

Re: Navy 2021

Post by Dip&Dunk »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:29 pmand he's obviously got an excellent future for Navy FB.
Well I would rather say, things have to go up because they cannot go down much further. He played in 5 games, lost them all, had a completion rate of 33% only attempting 12 passes, rushed for 210 yds (42/game; 3.6y/att), etc etc etc.

It cannot be that hard to replace those stats. His high ranking as a lax recruit would indicate his worth would be more there.

Whatever. A major lost opportunity for Navy lacrosse.
old salt

Post by old salt »

I wonder which sport Xavier prefers ? ...if that matters in the NAAA $cheme of thing$.

He could get injured in any sport, but Navy QB's take a pounding.
Holding up for 4 years for any Navy QB is a long shot & he's not that big.
old salt

Post by old salt »

From the Crabwrapper (said with appreciation & admiration) :
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

Spencer Rees stands tall in goal as Navy men’s lacrosse holds off Mount St. Mary’s, 8-5
By BILL WAGNER, CAPITAL GAZETTE , FEB 20, 2021

Coach Joe Amplo could not have asked for a more complete performance out of Navy men’s lacrosse in its season opener.
Amplo wants the Midshipmen to push the ball from defense to offense this season and they did just that in scoring several transition goals.

The second-year coach showed faith in senior Spencer Rees by naming the Baltimore resident the starting goalie despite limited experience. The Boys’ Latin graduate stood tall between the pipes, giving up just two even-strength goals.

Senior attackman Christian Daniel scored a goal and assisted two others, while Rees recorded 12 saves in his first career start as Navy manhandled Mount St. Mary’s, 8-5, Saturday in front of 602 fans who braved freezing temperatures at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis. Junior attackman Jack Sweeney scored two extra-man goals for the Midshipmen, who improved to 81-10-1 in home openers.

Amplo was also curious as to how much production he’d get from a freshman class that was rated No. 1 nationally by Inside Lacrosse. A pair of plebes — midfielders Max Hewitt and Bryson Rhee — scored goals, while Jackson Bonitz started on close defense and was rock-solid.

Subtract the sloppy ballhandling typically associated with a season opener and a disappointing let-up late in the fourth quarter and there wasn’t much for Amplo to complain about.
“From a team standpoint, in terms of who we want to be and what we want to look like, that was Navy lacrosse what you saw in moments today,” Amplo said. “Guys were running around the field playing hard, playing together and making the game somewhat crazy.”

Rees spent three seasons as a backup behind Ryan Kern, who graduated in May. The 6-foot-4, 195-pounder had played a total of 61 minutes in five games going into the 2021 campaign.
Despite that lack of action, Rees looked like a seasoned veteran in terms of stopping the ball, directing the defense and delivering clearing passes. It wasn’t bad for a goaltender that had not started a non-club game since eighth grade — a fact Amplo pointed out during the postseason press conference.
“Spencer was clearly the player of the game for us. I thought he made the saves he should have made, and he stole a few for us. He played like a senior who has been playing a lot of minutes, which was very encouraging.”
Rees, who was a backup throughout his career at Boys’ Latin, is the youngest of three brothers that played lacrosse for Navy. He spoke with older brothers Matt and Casey, who were standout starters on defense and in the midfield, respectively, for the Midshipmen.
“I feel blessed to have the opportunity and it was really an honor. Navy lacrosse has been in my family a long time,” Rees said. “Just waiting three years and finally being out there … it was one of the best moments of my life.”
Asked what advice brothers Matt and Casey provided, Spencer said, “They pretty much told me to play loose. That’s when I play my best, so that’s what I tried to do.”

Rees got plenty of support from the close defense consisting of seniors Nick Franchuk and Andrew McKenna along with Bonitz. Long stick Jeff Durden and short stick Tim Griffin led the defensive midfield.
“I thought we played unbelievable in the six-on-six — kind of dominated the matchups and put them in the spots we wanted,” Rees said. “I think our on-ball defenders, both short stick and down low, are all amazing. I think with them we can win a lot of matchups.”
Franchuk finished with four ground balls and two caused turnovers, while also going coast-to-coast to score an unassisted goal off a clearing situation. That was one of three transition goals scored by the Mids.

“I felt we controlled the tempo and set the tempo for the way we want to play,” Amplo said. “I thought we did a really good job riding them and turning them over, which allowed us to play more offense.”

Gravante credited the ferocious Navy ride for the fact his team did not score until past the midway mark of the third period.
“We failed tremendously clearing the ball against their soft 10-man ride. That was really the key,” he said. “We didn’t have the ball that much. When we did, we didn’t value the ball and work for a good shot. We were too quick to pull the trigger. The shots we took were right to the goalie’s favorite spot — stick-side.”

Amplo believes the Midshipmen’s defense deserves credit for making the Mountaineers uncomfortable. He credited defensive coordinator Jon Orsen with drawing up a solid game plan and “putting our pieces in the right spots.”
Amplo reserved particular praise for Bonitz, the McDonogh graduate who stepped right into the starting lineup.
“Jackson Bonitz was dynamite. He’s a big-time lacrosse and made some big-time plays. Off the ground he was excellent,” Amplo said.

After dominating the game for 2 ½ half quarters, the Mids took their foot of the gas and were outscored 5-1 over the final 22 ½ minutes.
“Credit to Mount St. Mary’s for coming back, staying in the fight and making it a hard-fought lacrosse game for 60 minutes,” said Amplo, who blamed youth and inexperience for the late letdown. “Hopefully, moving forward we’ll have more poise and be able to separate.”

Daniel’s three points leave him six shy of reaching 100 for his career. The Northern-Calvert product who has notched a point in 30 of 32 career games is looking to become the 36th Navy player to reach that milestone.

Navy was playing its first game in 350 days, having last taken the field against an opponent on March 7.
“It was somewhat surreal to be honest. I had this unbelievable sense of gratitude all day. We feel blessed to be on the field tonight to compete,” Amplo said.
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -win/57337
by Matt Kinnear, 2/20/2021

In his first career start, Navy goalie Spencer Rees made 12 saves to lead the Mids to an 8-5 win against Mount St. Mary’s in front of 602 fans inside Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

Rees, who’s brothers Matt and Casey were recent Navy All-Americans and who’s father Cliff played in three NCAA Tournaments as part of the basketball team, said it was an honor to get the start after waiting in the wings during his college career.

“It was truly an honor. Navy lacrosse has been in my family for a long time with my brothers coming here. Waiting these past three years and finally getting out there, it was one of the best moments of my life,” he said.

“He made the saves he should have made, he stole a couple for us, and that’s what you expect a goalie to do. He had poise in the clearing game. He played like a senior, but he also played like a senior who’s played a lot of minutes, which is very encouraging for us,” Navy coach Joe Amplo said.

While he played like a senior, the underclassmen played beyond their years.

The top six middies featured three freshmen and a sophomore, and IL’s No. 8 incoming freshman Jackson Bonitz (McDonogh, Md.) started at close. Max Hewitt (Kent Denver, Colo.) and Bryson Rhee (Ephrata, Pa.) scored their first career goals, while Dane Swanson (McDonogh, Md.) left the game early with an injury.

“He’s dynamite. He’s a big-time lacrosse player, he made some big-time plays,” Amplo said of Bonitz, praising his work in the intangible plays in addition to cover ability.

Jack Sweeney had a pair of goals, leading seven different goal-scorers.

Navy scored the game's first seven goals and kept the Mountaineers off the board for more than 37 minutes. Mount St. Mary’s did stage a late rally, scoring the final three goals, and won the face-off battle with the highly touted Sam Stephan going 11-of-18. Griffin McGinley started in goal for Mount St. Mary’s.

With a bit of a built-in bubble at the Naval Academy, the Mids have had full-field practices, a scrimmage last week and more complete fall and preseason sessions than many other teams. That paid off in areas like the ride, where Navy forced The Mount into 11-of-21 clearing.

The win was at least, at times, a precursor to what Amplo wants out of Navy lacrosse.

“In terms of who we want to be and who we want to look like, that’s Navy lacrose, what you saw in moments today. That’s what you’re going to see from Navy lacrosse moving forward. Guys running around the field playing hard playing together, making the game somewhat crazy,” he said. “It’s probably never going to be pretty. But it’s going to be gritty and we’re going to compete to win.”
FactChecker

Post by FactChecker »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:05 pm
The Orfling wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:29 pmand he's obviously got an excellent future for Navy FB.
Well I would rather say, things have to go up because they cannot go down much further. He played in 5 games, lost them all, had a completion rate of 33% only attempting 12 passes, rushed for 210 yds (42/game; 3.6y/att), etc etc etc.

It cannot be that hard to replace those stats. His high ranking as a lax recruit would indicate his worth would be more there.

He was also a freshman, playing without the benefit of much of a preseason camp and with a team that had no spring practice, so those stats should be taking in the proper context context.

I'm sure there's also something to be said for the player's preference, and it appears he wants to be Navy's starting QB at the moment.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

lagerhead wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:18 pm I learned of Brendan Looney’s heroism and legacy on this forum and understand today is his Angel Birthday. Thank you for your service.
+1
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

FactChecker wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:13 pm

He was also a freshman, playing without the benefit of much of a preseason camp and with a team that had no spring practice, so those stats should be taking in the proper context context.

I'm sure there's also something to be said for the player's preference, and it appears he wants to be Navy's starting QB at the moment.
I am sure this cuts deeper than we know. I would also think that Coach Ken does not want to risk what he almost lost with MP his soph summer. Better off just laying it all out there so there is no gray.

As much as I'd love to see him on the lax field, I'd have to assume the upside is football and any chance for the pro's certainly is not in lax.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I know it sucks that we don't get to see this talented guy out on the lacrosse field this spring. But this is not a difficult decision for Arline.

"Do I want to lead my school at the only sport that matters here, a sport I love, in front of 60K people in person and millions more on national television in the fall? Do I want to be carried off the field by my teammates when we beat Army in Philadelphia before a huge crowd that includes all of my classmates?"

Or
"Do I want to play lacrosse for a very good program in front of 500 to 900 people each week, and sometimes with as many as 300 people checking in periodically on a webstream, for a decent, but not great chance to win the Patriot League and then get smushed in a first round game against Duke in Koskinen Stadium in front of 1,200 rabid spectators?"

If he succeeds next year, you'll probably never get to see him in a Navy lacrosse uniform. However, if he drops down the depth chart next fall (and I am not hoping for this) perhaps he considers playing lacrosse for his last three seasons at the academy? We shall see.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:21 pm "Do I want to lead my school at the only sport that matters here, a sport I love, in front of 60K people in person and millions more on national television in the fall? Do I want to be carried off the field by my teammates when we beat Army in Philadelphia before a huge crowd that includes all of my classmates?"

Or
"Do I want to play lacrosse for a very good program in front of 500 to 900 people each week, and sometimes with as many as 300 people checking in periodically on a webstream, for a decent, but not great chance to win the Patriot League and then get smushed in a first round game against Duke in Koskinen Stadium in front of 1,200 rabid spectators?"
Until 2013, the difference was not that stark. Before then MLax was a big deal -- in the stands (check attendance #'s), on tv, on the Yard & in the Brigade. Now, it's just another varsity sport. Hopefully, the new Coaching Staff will bring it back to prominence. The potential for such support is still there. 2016 was a taste.
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Sounds like the yard is closed due to recent COVID outbreaks. Let's see what happens this weekend, Hopefully the game will be televised again. GO NAVY !
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:59 pm
Henpecked wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:21 pm "Do I want to lead my school at the only sport that matters here, a sport I love, in front of 60K people in person and millions more on national television in the fall? Do I want to be carried off the field by my teammates when we beat Army in Philadelphia before a huge crowd that includes all of my classmates?"

Or
Until 2013, the difference was not that stark. Before then MLax was a big deal -- in the stands (check attendance #'s), on tv, on the Yard & in the Brigade. Now, it's just another varsity sport. Hopefully, the new Coaching Staff will bring it back to prominence. The potential for such support is still there. 2016 was a taste.
Agreed, It would be nice if the men of Ken attended the games. The all did show up last year for a game...was nice to see.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:52 pm Sounds like the yard is closed due to recent COVID outbreaks. Let's see what happens this weekend, Hopefully the game will be televised again. GO NAVY !
Fans will be allowed to attend the game at Navy/Marine Corps stadium. I have not heard nor seen anything that says the men's lacrosse game will be played on the Yard.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:21 pm

I know it sucks that we don't get to see this talented guy out on the lacrosse field this spring. But this is not a difficult decision for Arline.

"Do I want to lead my school at the only sport that matters here, a sport I love, in front of 60K people in person and millions more on national television in the fall? Do I want to be carried off the field by my teammates when we beat Army in Philadelphia before a huge crowd that includes all of my classmates?"

Or

If he succeeds next year, you'll probably never get to see him in a Navy lacrosse uniform. However, if he drops down the depth chart next fall (and I am not hoping for this) perhaps he considers playing lacrosse for his last three seasons at the academy? We shall see.
Way more likely to play in front of “rabid spectators” at Navy than you are at Duke lol
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I wasn’t suggesting that the rabid fans were rooting for Duke. :D Navy travels well. I’ve seen it.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Excellent. Coach Amplo, his staff and his Mids are already amping :) up their momentum for 2021 :!:
https://navysports.com/news/2021/2/22/m ... -2019.aspx

Men's Lacrosse 2/22/2021 3:34:00 PM

Mids Among Men’s Lacrosse National Rankings for First Time Since 2019

Making its first appearance in the national rankings since 2019, the Navy men's lacrosse team (1-0, 0-0 Patriot League) is ranked 19th in this week's edition of both the USILA Coaches and Inside Lacrosse Media Polls. North Carolina stands No. 1 in the country in the USILA Coaches Poll with a 4-0 record, while Duke is No. 1 in the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll with a matching 4-0 record.

Navy is one of four teams from the Patriot League to appear in both polls this week, joining Army (#6 USILA / #7 IL Media), Loyola (11/12) and Lehigh (16/17).
GO NAVY! BEAT JAX!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

LMAO
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

As anyone planning to go on Sunday?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:52 pm As anyone planning to go on Sunday?
~Livy
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Folks from Jacksonville aren't going to be happy !

From Navy Sports Website:

Capacity limits at outdoor venues in Anne Arundel County has been adjusted from 25 percent capacity at outdoor sporting venues to 50 percent capacity or 250 people, whichever is the lesser number, by County Executive Steuart Pittman.

Due to this guidance that was issued on Thursday, attendance at Navy's men's and women's lacrosse games will be limited to Navy player guests.

The No. 19 Navy men's lacrosse team (1-0) will be back in action on Sunday when the Mids take on Jacksonville (2-0) at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. The game will be streamed live on ESPN+ and on the radio on WNAV (1430 AM / 99.9 FM).

The No. 20 Navy women's lacrosse team (2-0) will travel to Washington, D.C. on Saturday to take on George Washington (0-0) at 1:00 PM. Navy's next home game is Sunday, March 7 at 12 noon against Bucknell.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

By the way, best of luck to former Navy player JL Reppert, as his tenure as Holy Cross' head coach starts tomorrow. While Navy couldn't have made a better hire than Joe Amplo, I thought JL might get the Navy job a couple of years ago.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”