Religion in America

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DMac

Re: Religion in America

Post by DMac »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:29 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:33 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:48 am “Permanently posting the Ten Commandments in every Louisiana public-school classroom — rendering them unavoidable — unconstitutionally pressures students into religious observance, veneration, and adoption of the state’s favored religious scripture,” says the suit, which charges that there is no long-standing tradition of hanging the commandments in classrooms and that courts have already ruled against the practice.

The suit was filed in U.S. District Court by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, and the American Civil Liberties Union’s national and state offices. The plaintiffs include nine Louisiana families of different faiths, among them four members of the clergy."

The mind-twisting rationale here. So, it's okay for children to be pressured into and taught hateful critical race theory and sexual issues in grade school, but for goodness sake, don't display the 10 Commandments:

Don't take (steal) what doesn't belong to you.
Don't lie about someone else.
Don't kill anyone.
Treat your father and mother with honor/respect.
Don't cheat on your spouse after you're married.
Take one day out of the week to rest. I'm a fan of Saturdays and Sundays off.
Don't use God's name to curse. Nope. Who is the government to say God exists?
Don't have any other gods before God Almighty--the Creator of all things and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.Nope. I'm not allowed to worship multiple, or no, Gods? And I've got to acknowledge Jesus was God?
Don't make idols. Can the kids play with Barbies and GI Joes?
Don't be consumed with desire for what belongs to someone else. Part is already covered in stealing, but BZZZZT! Where would capitalism exist without wanting to keep up with the Joneses?

Yes--I can see how those rules would affect children, and our society at large, in a negative way.
These are good lessons for the most part but certainly not worded as in the Ten Commandments,
there's no attempt to instill the fear of God in you (well, maybe 'cept for one).
"For the most part"? As a Christian I'm in agreement with all ten, but I'm only in agreement as an American with the first five and maybe part of the sixth. The first five are covered in American law and justified and, as written above would have no problem being posted in any classroom - with no law required. The rest? Nuh uh. See comments embedded in red.
Yes, for the most. Only Christians would care about using the Lord's name in vain, hence, for the most part from me.
ONW's list is not anything government the way I see it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:29 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:33 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:48 am “Permanently posting the Ten Commandments in every Louisiana public-school classroom — rendering them unavoidable — unconstitutionally pressures students into religious observance, veneration, and adoption of the state’s favored religious scripture,” says the suit, which charges that there is no long-standing tradition of hanging the commandments in classrooms and that courts have already ruled against the practice.

The suit was filed in U.S. District Court by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, and the American Civil Liberties Union’s national and state offices. The plaintiffs include nine Louisiana families of different faiths, among them four members of the clergy."

The mind-twisting rationale here. So, it's okay for children to be pressured into and taught hateful critical race theory and sexual issues in grade school, but for goodness sake, don't display the 10 Commandments:

Don't take (steal) what doesn't belong to you.
Don't lie about someone else.
Don't kill anyone.
Treat your father and mother with honor/respect.
Don't cheat on your spouse after you're married.
Take one day out of the week to rest. I'm a fan of Saturdays and Sundays off.
Don't use God's name to curse. Nope. Who is the government to say God exists?
Don't have any other gods before God Almighty--the Creator of all things and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.Nope. I'm not allowed to worship multiple, or no, Gods? And I've got to acknowledge Jesus was God?
Don't make idols. Can the kids play with Barbies and GI Joes?
Don't be consumed with desire for what belongs to someone else. Part is already covered in stealing, but BZZZZT! Where would capitalism exist without wanting to keep up with the Joneses?

Yes--I can see how those rules would affect children, and our society at large, in a negative way.
These are good lessons for the most part but certainly not worded as in the Ten Commandments,
there's no attempt to instill the fear of God in you (well, maybe 'cept for one).
"For the most part"? As a Christian I'm in agreement with all ten, but I'm only in agreement as an American with the first five and maybe part of the sixth. The first five are covered in American law and justified and, as written above would have no problem being posted in any classroom - with no law required. The rest? Nuh uh. See comments embedded in red.
I don't see any harm in posting the Ten Commandments in classrooms so kids can read them. But we are in agreement--forcing people to worship and obey God doesn't work. The Crusades clearly demonstrated that. Much of our laws are based on principles found in the Bible, but the Ten Commandments were spoken to the Jewish people thousands of years ago, and affirmed by Jesus centuries later--to the Jewish people. Can others benefit from adhering to all ten? Absolutely! But no one gets anywhere making all ten of them the law of the land. As Pete Townshend once wrote about the response of the masses to (pretty much all) religion: "We're not gonna take it."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

We should posts these in schools:

Dharma
A universal principle that upholds balance and secures the good of all living beings. It's the core of Hindu tradition and calls for followers to live honorably and virtuously. Fulfilling one's dharma can improve karma and help achieve moksha.

A universal law of cause and effect that holds people responsible for their actions and effects. The word "karma" means human action or deed, and people are constantly performing karmas physically, mentally, or emotionally. According to one's actions, Bhagwan rewards or punishes.

Islamic ethics
These include being kind to people and animals, being charitable, forgiving, honest, patient, and just, respecting parents and elders, keeping promises, and controlling anger.

Other beliefs
Islam is known as a religion of peace, or salam, and classical Islamic thought from the third through sixth centuries holds that peace is the essence of Islam, and that justice is an expression of truth. Sunni Muslims also believe in the Day of Judgement, when God judges all of humanity based on how they lived, and in the afterlife, or Akhirah, when all Muslims will be sent to either Paradise or Hell. The Prophet Muhammad also said that modesty is the key to high success

I don’t see anything wrong with any of these things.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

How about these? Seems like a good reference for do and don’t. Kids would benefit from a list like this…

Following is list of 75 good manners that we can learn from the Glorious Quran, the Numbers in brackets refers to Sura or Chapter and Verse Numbers :

Don’t lie (22:30)
Don’t spy (49:12)
Don’t exult (28:76)
Don’t insult (49:11)
Don’t waste (17:26)
Feed the poor (22:36)
Don’t backbite (49:12)
Keep your oaths (5:89)
Don’t take bribes (27:36)
Honour your treaties (9:4)
Restrain your anger (3:134)
Don’t spread gossip (24:15)
Think good of others (24:12)
Be good to guests (51:24-27)
Don’t harm believers (33:58)
Don’t be rude to parents (17:23)
Turn away from ill speech (23:3)
Don’t make fun of others (49:11)
Walk in a humble manner (25:63)
Respond to evil with good (41:34)
Don’t say what you don’t do (62:2)
Keep your trusts & promises (23:8)
Don’t insult others’ false gods (6:108)
Don’t deceive people in trade (6:152)
Don’t take items without right (3:162)
Don’t ask unnecessary questions (5:101)
Don’t be miserly nor extravagant (25:67)
Don’t call others with bad names (49:11)
Don’t claim yourselves to be pure (53:32)
Speak nicely, even to the ignorant (25:63)
Don’t ask for repayment for favours (76:9)
Make room for others at gatherings (58:11)
If enemy wants peace, then accept it (8:61)
Return a greeting in a better manner (4:86)
Don’t remind others of your favours (2:264)
Make peace between fighting groups (49:9)
Lower your voice and talk moderately (31:19)
Don’t let hatred cause you to be unjust (6:108)
Don’t ask too many favours from people (2:273)
Greet people when entering their home (24:27)
Be just, even against yourself & relatives (4:135)
Speak gently, even to leaders of disbelief (20:44)
Don’t criticize small contributions of others (9:79)
Don’t call the Prophet how you call others’ (24:63)
Try to make peace between husband & wife (4:128)
Don’t call the Prophet from outside his rooms (49:4)
Oppression/corruption is worse than killing (2:217)
Preach to others in a good and wise manner (16:125)
Don’t accuse others of immorality without proof (24:4)
Consider wives of the Prophet like your mothers (33:6)
Don’t raise your voice above that of the Prophet’s (49:2)
Don’t call someone a disbeliever without knowing (4:94)
Seek permission before entering someone’s room (24:59)
Know your enemies can become your close friends (41:34)
Don’t wrongly consume the wealth of the vulnerable (4:29)
Don’t turn your cheek away from people in arrogance (31:18)
Forgive others, as you would like Allah to forgive you (24:22)
Seek Prophet’s permission when leaving his gathering (24:62)
Don’t hold secret meetings for sin, rather do so for piety (58:9)
Don’t order others to do good while forgetting it yourself (2:44)
Be patient with your teacher & follow his instructions (18:67-69)
Don’t frown, turn away or neglect those who come to you (80:10)
If unable to help a needy person, at least speak nice words (17:28)
Be lenient to those under you, and consult them in matters (3:159)
Verify information from a dubious source before acting upon it (49:6)
Don’t remain in the Prophet’s home unnecessarily after a meal (33:53)
Those who can should continue to spend on those less fortunate (24:22)
Don’t enter homes without permission & return if refused entry (24:27-28)
Don’t sit with those who mock religion until they change the subject (4:140)
Say it’s not appropriate to talk of slander when it’s mentioned to you (24:16)
If required to ask the Prophet’s wives, then do so from behind a screen (33:53)
Divorce in an amicable manner instead of keeping & harming your wife (2:231)
Punish in an equivalent manner to how you were harmed or be patient (16:126)
Differences in color & language are signs of Allah, not means of superiority (49:13)
Don’t take women by force, nor take back bridal gift without a valid reason & live with them in kindness (4:19)
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Maybe roll out George instead of freighting public school kids with religious bullsh*t:

https://www.mountvernon.org/george-wash ... -civility/
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

There are more than 10 Commandments in Judaism. There are 613. There are 7 more if you want to count those not found in Torah. Maybe that is too many for a school to manage.

From a Christian perspective Jesus taught the beatitudes. Why now post them. Oh wait….,,
Typical Lax Dad

OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:49 pm There are more than 10 Commandments in Judaism. There are 613. There are 7 more if you want to count those not found in Torah. Maybe that is too many for a school to manage.

From a Christian perspective Jesus taught the beatitudes. Why now post them. Oh wait….,,
I saw the movie, there were 10.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Not unanimously agreed upon but yeah, I saw the movie too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXeTsWGPT0w
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:57 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:49 pm There are more than 10 Commandments in Judaism. There are 613. There are 7 more if you want to count those not found in Torah. Maybe that is too many for a school to manage.

I saw the movie, there were 10.

“ In addition to the 613 commandments that symbolically represent the definitive catalog of what God wants…..”

Rabbi Lawrence Kushner
DMac

Post by DMac »

It was a lengthy movie, 613 more commandments would've made it just way too long.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:51 pm It was a lengthy movie, 613 more commandments would've made it just way too long.
Haha--nice one, D.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GXRv-TFHCiM

right wing television evangelism ~ biggest phonies anywhere
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... conservative Christians in the U.S., MAGA types don't believe in the beatitudes -- so New Testament. They would object - Jesus is "too soft" precisely because he/she/it espoused the beatitudes. Conservative Christians like their dog to be a vengeful dick! -- just like right-wing Jews and right-wing Muslims!! They are all the same, not a bit of difference between any of them!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM9wiqmOmbU

Typical Republican television evangelist.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:21 pm Maybe roll out George instead of freighting public school kids with religious bullsh*t:

https://www.mountvernon.org/george-wash ... -civility/
Isn't he the guy that lied about allowing fellow humans, NOT to be owned any longer ?

Not sure what Washington thought of valuing fellow humans, as only 3/5's people :roll: :roll:

glad you agree, that ALL religions are BS (they are )
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Man, Moses is really having a comeback.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... I am guessing that the Oklahoma SC will have something to say.

Return to “POLITICS”