Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by nyjay »

Anyone take anything interesting away from the IL podcast interview with Milliman? I didn't really - other than that he seems like a good dude and that I would think the kids will like playing for him. He seemed genuinely excited about JK and Junior joining the staff. No real discussion of the roster and didn't even mention Fernandez coming in. I guess it's nice that he affirmatively said that he doesn't want the defense to be reactive - that's a nice change.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

nyjay wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 pm Anyone take anything interesting away from the IL podcast interview with Milliman? I didn't really - other than that he seems like a good dude and that I would think the kids will like playing for him. He seemed genuinely excited about JK and Junior joining the staff. No real discussion of the roster and didn't even mention Fernandez coming in. I guess it's nice that he affirmatively said that he doesn't want the defense to be reactive - that's a nice change.
Should make Doc happy.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 pm Anyone take anything interesting away from the IL podcast interview with Milliman? I didn't really - other than that he seems like a good dude and that I would think the kids will like playing for him. He seemed genuinely excited about JK and Junior joining the staff. No real discussion of the roster and didn't even mention Fernandez coming in. I guess it's nice that he affirmatively said that he doesn't want the defense to be reactive - that's a nice change.
what was refreshing about the Petro departure was that for once coverage of the sport wasn't first and foremost about protecting relationships and feelings. Milliman unlike petro seems to be open to candor when given questions so I'm dissapointed il couldn't delve deep there. according to carc's twitter he's doing an interview w/petro at 230 for imcla or something streamed online. As rough as the departure and last few months/years might've been for petro if you read the comments on his twitter I think he's going to enjoy in the wilderness how deep the interest+support he has around the country. Growing sport, lot of coaches and players looking for leadership, who've watched him+the program on tv for decades and a very very short list of folks not on a sideline w/his records+accomplishments.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The overall impression I'm getting from this dude is that he just really wants to win. Seems to be wired that way—kind of has that built-in chip on his shoulder where he's always looking to do things bigger and better. I think he's the right guy, at the right time, for this program. If the last decade was defined by complacency then I think the theme I'm seeing come across Milliman's comments is that he wants to recommit this program to a certain standard of excellence. Of course, it's May—we're in the middle of a pandemic—and he's proven nothing yet on the field. So it's all talk. But he's talking about the right things IMO. Was also nice to hear he already knows some of the players and their families from recruiting them to Cornell.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:24 pm
Should make Doc happy.
Yep!

Any insight from anyone about the style of defense UMBC played under Koesterer?

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:08 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:24 pm
Should make Doc happy.
Yep!

Any insight from anyone about the style of defense UMBC played under Koesterer?

His defenses have tended to be in the middle of the pack in caused turnovers per game—#20 to 40 range—so not super disruptive necessarily but definitely more so than what we're used to. His reputation at UMBC was that he was able to get that defense to become better than the sum of its parts by playing fundamental and together as a unit. Beyond that I don't know what his stylistic preferences are—and that might change with the personnel. He might have a different strategy given what he has to work with at Hopkins.

That said, one of their defensemen, Colin Kasner, had 12 CT in 5 games—good for 8th in the country in caused turnovers per game. Hopkins has not had a player SNIFF the top 10 in that statistic in quite some time.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:20 pm
That said, one of their defensemen, Colin Kasner, had 12 CT in 5 games—good for 8th in the country in caused turnovers per game. Hopkins has not had a player SNIFF the top 10 in that statistic in quite some time.
It looks like UMBC ranked #23 in CTs in 2020 at 8.6 a game while Hop ranked #73 at 4.3 CTs a game.
Different strengths of schedule but also different levels of talent on the field.
UMBC was twice as effective as JHU in this category. Definitely looks more aggressive to me.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:43 pm
It looks like UMBC ranked #23 in CTs in 2020 at 8.6 a game while Hop ranked #73 at 4.3 CTs a game.
Different strengths of schedule but also different levels of talent on the field.
UMBC was twice as effective as JHU in this category. Definitely looks more aggressive to me.
Thanks, “16” and “A”. I will take 8.6 CTs/game any day!

@DocBarrister
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:52 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:43 pm
Thanks, “16” and “A”. I will take 8.6 CTs/game any day!

Check out Youtube and there is 2019 UMBC vs Marist full game
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Perhaps OT, but how will university financial problems trickle down to athletics? Hopkins is clearly not alone.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/When- ... x0J48J2JUc
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

So it looks like MIke Adler to Duke is actually a thing. Per twitter - Jast retweeting Osello.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:25 pm So it looks like MIke Adler to Duke is actually a thing. Per twitter - Jast retweeting Osello.
Always made sense—even if Petro were still here I don't know if we'd have beaten out Duke for his services.

Kirson is still out there...he was just as good as Adler this year.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:37 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:25 pm So it looks like MIke Adler to Duke is actually a thing. Per twitter - Jast retweeting Osello.
Always made sense—even if Petro were still here I don't know if we'd have beaten out Duke for his services.

Kirson is still out there...he was just as good as Adler this year.
Why all the OSU goalies in the portal? Who do they still have or coming in?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Yeah, not sure I really prefer bringing in another goalie though. Would like to give our guys a shot. One of them has to be able to save 50%+ and throw clearing passes more than 10 yards. Otherwise they wouldn't be on the team. Again, opportunity, with a new staff and new evaluations, will show there's some talent. Also I really love the 2021 goalie from Darien we have coming in. Watch their game against St. Anthony's from last year. Stud.
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

Kirson going to Hop would give you 6-goalies on the roster as of today. Imagine if you are not the back-up how little time you will get in practice for shots. It is clearly rumored that he is going to Hop due to his relationship with the new D-coordinator as a result of their time together at OSU. I guess if I was spending an additional $75k per year for an MBA for two years I would not choose Hopkins Masters program. Maybe he will perform like the last goalie transfer if true?
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

nyjay wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:45 pm Yeah, not sure I really prefer bringing in another goalie though. Would like to give our guys a shot. One of them has to be able to save 50%+ and throw clearing passes more than 10 yards. Otherwise they wouldn't be on the team. Again, opportunity, with a new staff and new evaluations, will show there's some talent. Also I really love the 2021 goalie from Darien we have coming in. Watch their game against St. Anthony's from last year. Stud.
I would agree on existing goalies who have not seen the field and Jacob who was not given a fair chance in his only start this year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Brother confirms,
Max Adler,
https://mobile.twitter.com/maxman_99/st ... 5222085632
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Agree on Giacalone - feel bad for the kid, for whatever reason he never had a chance. Played pretty well against ND last year, but he did stink it up against SU (even though the hook came really quick). But I'd focus on Marcille/DiMarisco/[Gainey] for next year. Let 'em all rotate for a half at a time until we figure out who can play in an actual game environment.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:45 pm One of them has to be able to save 50%+ and throw clearing passes more than 10 yards.
Sadly I don't really know if we can say that with any confidence. You're content with going back to the 45% well or putting all your chips on an underclassman with no experience when another option might be available? I would be thrilled with a goalie transfer if he's a proven entity and has already shown the ability to save consistently above 50% at the D1 level. Obviously you don't just take any guy for the sake of having more goalies to choose from but if he's a guy like Adler/Kirson, you pull the trigger IMO. Can't keep playing these goalie games. Get somebody in there who can get the job done. It wouldn't even necessarily disrupt things very much and Demopolous would still be given every opportunity to start for the majority of his career. He won't be on campus till fall 2021.
Laxsmitty wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:48 pm Kirson going to Hop would give you 6-goalies on the roster as of today.
The chances that 6 goalies make it to February 2021 are virtually zero. Gainey is in the portal, Giacalone is on the roster for now but that may not be a sure thing. And that's before any potential roster cuts. I promise you they will not carry 6 goalies. I'd be surprised if they carry 5 even with a transfer.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I'm not really sure what I prefer. Not sure why, I think it's because it just feels flat out unfair to the kids who've been recruited and chose to come to Hop initially, but I just don't really like the idea of transfer goalies. Would Kirson be an improvement for next year? Probably (and maybe that should be my answer). But I think I'm willing to take a chance on the guys we have from a culture/cohesion standpoint, knowing that (1) next year will be a bit of a transition year anyway and (2) the Greek God of Goalies will be arriving the following year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”