Conservatives and Liberals

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Conservatives and Liberals

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:04 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:23 pm The GOP has largely been taken over by populists, the circle meets up-in some ways little difference between the Sanders and the extreme right.

The comment -corporations aren’t being good guys is problematic. The NYT author doesn’t know this and is making an accusation. It’s also pretty obvious bias to think that agendas can’t be aligned - rising tide. It’s easy to throw darts at a jacka** tied to a wooden fence. It’s harder to provide a more holistic and value neutral view. This my general disregard for the NYT (along for previously mentioned issue w Hobart-Anna story that I can say with first hand knowledge was wrong of them to write and not good journalism at all as a fact)
Well said FFG......as dough boy puts it (4:45) " Why isn't their a NYT of the right". Certainly implicating the NYT is the left leaning reporting machine. He does a great job in the clip bringing the issue to the table, but cant help himself to cast blame at the other side.....thus proving why the divide at his own network.

@ 1:20, I think Matt Gertz highlights the real issue...but again, who is factual and who is not. Both sides are effing up the roux, which makes the stew taste like shiznit.

I don’t want to make the NYT an enemy with my comments, just wish editorial control was exerted and it hasn’t been in 15yrs. Doesn’t mean the thrust that the GOP isn’t run by a bunch of scumbags who’ve near killed the two party system but what’s the point in writing that over and over and then kissing on more time of the essence news?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:23 pm The GOP has largely been taken over by populists, the circle meets up-in some ways little difference between the Sanders and the extreme right.

The comment -corporations aren’t being good guys is problematic. The NYT author doesn’t know this and is making an accusation. It’s also pretty obvious bias to think that agendas can’t be aligned - rising tide. It’s easy to throw darts at a jacka** tied to a wooden fence. It’s harder to provide a more holistic and value neutral view. This my general disregard for the NYT (along for previously mentioned issue w Hobart-Anna story that I can say with first hand knowledge was wrong of them to write and not good journalism at all as a fact)
I think calling the current GOP in Congress "populists" is generous to the point of being, well, wrong. They are performance artists simply saying what they think they need to say to attract votes and damage the other side. There is no foundation of a consistent philosophy of governance, and not effort to create a policy or policies around such a philosophy. At least the GOP in Congress had a philosophy in the 1990s. Now, they are a rudderless ship of hate. What, pray, has Jordan done during his time in Congress?

When the NYT opinion writer says that corporations are not being good guys, he is saying nothing more than those companies are acting in a manner that meets and advances their self-interest; this is not an indictment of the companies. We expect them to act this way, and here, they are advancing the idea of a vaccine mandate so that they have a complete and healthy workforce, fewer missed days, lower health care costs, and greater productivity. His statement, then, seems completely sound and non-controversial to me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:52 am

I think calling the current GOP in Congress "populists" is generous to the point of being, well, wrong. They are performance artists simply saying what they think they need to say to attract votes and damage the other side. There is no foundation of a consistent philosophy of governance, and not effort to create a policy or policies around such a philosophy. At least the GOP in Congress had a philosophy in the 1990s. Now, they are a rudderless ship of hate. What, pray, has Jordan done during his time in Congress?

When the NYT opinion writer says that corporations are not being good guys, he is saying nothing more than those companies are acting in a manner that meets and advances their self-interest; this is not an indictment of the companies. We expect them to act this way, and here, they are advancing the idea of a vaccine mandate so that they have a complete and healthy workforce, fewer missed days, lower health care costs, and greater productivity. His statement, then, seems completely sound and non-controversial to me.
Fair up to the point of saying wrong. the role one plays in life often is who they are or become. We all risk our masks becoming who we are eventually.

But your argument sets up a dichotomy and suggests individuals rent acting in self interest rather some “global” act of care. That’s not true however. Individuals act out of self interest. Camus has even made a compelling argument in The Fall that all acts of kindness are self servicing. So highlighting that difference is a signal of something despite your defense.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:10 am

Fair up to the point of saying wrong. the role one plays in life often is who they are or become. We all risk our masks becoming who we are eventually.

But your argument sets up a dichotomy and suggests individuals rent acting in self interest rather some “global” act of care. That’s not true however. Individuals act out of self interest. Camus has even made a compelling argument in The Fall that all acts of kindness are self servicing. So highlighting that difference is a signal of something despite your defense.
Are you guys actually disagreeing?

Seems to me that the author is simply saying that corporations are acting in their self-interest, not out of sense of 'good' for others. Is there a value judgment, there? Sure, the difference between an uncompelled action against self-interest, but for public good, and an act in self-interest.

It would be highly unusual for a corporation to do the former. Even when ostensibly 'against self-interest' there's likely a countervailing, potentially longer term, hoped for benefit to self-interest.

That's true for individuals as well, though the benefit to self-interest is more likely to be emotional gratification rather than economic.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s the negative application of “not being good guys” as if their self interest has any value different compared with individual self interest. Totally irrelevant and unnecessary but reflects a general bias. Sure it’s an opinion piece but this is the sort of subversive language, in both sides, which when allowed to go unchecked or without counterpoint language embedded opinion pieces destroys credibility as a delivery mechanism for news.

Here come the “the news has always been biased” crowd to play captain obvious and add no value but again we should set our goals to the ideal. It’s the journey not the destination.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:53 pm It’s the negative application of “not being good guys” as if their self interest has any value different compared with individual self interest. Totally irrelevant and unnecessary but reflects a general bias. Sure it’s an opinion piece but this is the sort of subversive language, in both sides, which when allowed to go unchecked or without counterpoint language embedded opinion pieces destroys credibility as a delivery mechanism for news.

Here come the “the news has always been biased” crowd to play captain obvious and add no value but again we should set our goals to the ideal. It’s the journey not the destination.
And I disagree: it reflects a statement of fact about how a corporation might reasonably act in the circumstances. It does not "reflect" or suggest "a general bias." It is used for the purpose of the article: to reflect the philosophical division between corporations battling the realities of workforce illness and slowdowns caused by the pandemic, and the erstwhile defenders of the corporate freedom faith, the rudderless and performative GOP.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:43 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:53 pm It’s the negative application of “not being good guys” as if their self interest has any value different compared with individual self interest. Totally irrelevant and unnecessary but reflects a general bias. Sure it’s an opinion piece but this is the sort of subversive language, in both sides, which when allowed to go unchecked or without counterpoint language embedded opinion pieces destroys credibility as a delivery mechanism for news.

And I disagree: it reflects a statement of fact about how a corporation might reasonably act in the circumstances. It does not "reflect" or suggest "a general bias." It is used for the purpose of the article: to reflect the philosophical division between corporations battling the realities of workforce illness and slowdowns caused by the pandemic, and the erstwhile defenders of the corporate freedom faith, the rudderless and performative GOP.
Ok.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Will be interesting to see how Virginia plays out. Youngkin, a man that has done something in his life, certainly should win. But maybe

McAuliffe, who served as governor of Virginia from 2014 to 2018, has been a staple in Democratic politics for decades.

Ole' Terry may have given Trump the roadmap to to fraudulant elections.... :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Remember the term "Blue Dog Democrat"?

They bedeviled us before, and they're doing it again...the conservative wolf in the liberal sheep's clothing...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“the role one plays in life often is who they are or become. We all risk our masks becoming who we are eventually.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pre ... ryday_Life
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I think she was a lacrosse goalie at UVA, and a very able player. Her dad was a regular and funny poster on the LP women's lax threads. My niece is friends with her. Character kid, great family. But you know, she's gay so....
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:31 pm

“the role one plays in life often is who they are or become. We all risk our masks becoming who we are eventually.”

You don’t have to tell me…
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Looks interesting
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Really is a full on culture war. Initiated by one side who claims to be talking about liberty and freedom but other side of mouth moving in a different direction. Shame and I hope the party comes back one day. Hope I’ll be around for it as well but barely hanging in there

Texas House probes school library books dealing with race and sexuality
Ivana Saric
Ivana Saric
A young boy browses library book shelves
Photo: Brittany Murray/MediaNews Group/Long Beach Press-Telegram via Getty Images
Texas state Rep. Matt Krause (R), chair of the Texas House Committee on General Investigating, announced Wednesday that he's initiating a probe into schools' library books, according to a letter sent to the state's education agency and other superintendents.

Why it matters: The probe focuses on books that discuss race, sexuality, or "make students feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress because of their race or sex," Krause wrote in the letter.

The move comes just months after Texas passed legislation curtailing the ways Texas teachers can discuss racism in both current events and throughout U.S. history.
The big picture: Krause included a 16 page list of roughly 850 targetted books, many dealing with topics such as racism, abortion and homosexuality, the Texas Tribune first reported.

The letter asks school districts to detail how many copies of each book on the list they have and where they're located, how much money they spent on the books, and to identify other books or content they have dealing with the aforementioned themes.
Schools have until Nov. 12 to respond, the letter states, without specifying what the consequences of possessing the books will be.
Of note: Texas state Rep. Victoria Neave (D), vice chair of the investigating committee, told Dallas Morning News that the committee did not take a vote on the matter, which she deemed "politically motivated to support their own campaigns.”

Krause is currently a candidate for state attorney general.
Our thought bubble, from Axios' Asher Price: Emboldened by a new law limiting what Texas public school teachers can teach on race, Texas' most conservative lawmakers are now trying to whittle down the narratives students learn in the classroom.

Texas State Teachers Association President Ovidia Molina issued a statement Tuesday lambasting the request as "disturbing and political overreach," adding that it amounted to a "witch hunt."

"This is an obvious attack on diversity and an attempt to score political points at the expense of our children’s education," Molina added.
A spokesperson for Austin Independent School District confirmed to Axios that they had received a copy of Krause's letter, adding: "Our legal team is reviewing and working on a response."

A spokesperson for Lake Travis Independent School District said the "superintendent and general counsel are reviewing the inquiry and discussing next steps."
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:54 pm Really is a full on culture war. Initiated by one side who claims to be talking about liberty and freedom but other side of mouth moving in a different direction. Shame and I hope the party comes back one day. Hope I’ll be around for it as well but barely hanging in there

Ivana Saric
Ivana Saric
Photo: Brittany Murray/MediaNews Group/Long Beach Press-Telegram via Getty Images
Texas state Rep. Matt Krause (R), chair of the Texas House Committee on General Investigating, announced Wednesday that he's initiating a probe into schools' library books, according to a letter sent to the state's education agency and other superintendents.

Why it matters: The probe focuses on books that discuss race, sexuality, or "make students feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress because of their race or sex," Krause wrote in the letter.

The move comes just months after Texas passed legislation curtailing the ways Texas teachers can discuss racism in both current events and throughout U.S. history.
The big picture: Krause included a 16 page list of roughly 850 targetted books, many dealing with topics such as racism, abortion and homosexuality, the Texas Tribune first reported.

The letter asks school districts to detail how many copies of each book on the list they have and where they're located, how much money they spent on the books, and to identify other books or content they have dealing with the aforementioned themes.
Schools have until Nov. 12 to respond, the letter states, without specifying what the consequences of possessing the books will be.
Of note: Texas state Rep. Victoria Neave (D), vice chair of the investigating committee, told Dallas Morning News that the committee did not take a vote on the matter, which she deemed "politically motivated to support their own campaigns.”

Our thought bubble, from Axios' Asher Price: Emboldened by a new law limiting what Texas public school teachers can teach on race, Texas' most conservative lawmakers are now trying to whittle down the narratives students learn in the classroom.

Texas State Teachers Association President Ovidia Molina issued a statement Tuesday lambasting the request as "disturbing and political overreach," adding that it amounted to a "witch hunt."

"This is an obvious attack on diversity and an attempt to score political points at the expense of our children’s education," Molina added.
A spokesperson for Austin Independent School District confirmed to Axios that they had received a copy of Krause's letter, adding: "Our legal team is reviewing and working on a response."

A spokesperson for Lake Travis Independent School District said the "superintendent and general counsel are reviewing the inquiry and discussing next steps."
Better burn "Fahrenheit 451"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:52 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:54 pm Really is a full on culture war. Initiated by one side who claims to be talking about liberty and freedom but other side of mouth moving in a different direction. Shame and I hope the party comes back one day. Hope I’ll be around for it as well but barely hanging in there

Ivana Saric
Ivana Saric

Better burn "Fahrenheit 451"
What are they going to do with the Henry Miller library down Rte 1???

https://henrymiller.org/

(Popped in there once on a camping trip at San Simeon)
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

I've never seen an Obama or Biden truck like this. I'm sure there's a couple out there, but I see tons of trucks and boats plastered with Trump flags and stickers and F*ck Biden flags and stuff about pissing off libs. For some reason one side has made a single man their entire identity. Weirds me out. The stickers I see on the hippie dippies are things like "we want equality." The absolute hatred and vitriol seems very one sided the past 10-15 years. Let's go Brandon I guess?

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

What DID she know.....back to being a nobody, now that Elon punted.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9SGYBHY0qs
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

What DID she know.....back to being a nobody, now that Elon punted.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9SGYBHY0qs
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “POLITICS”