All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

JoeMauer89

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by JoeMauer89 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:30 pm
CU88 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:00 pm It is almost as if they are serious about health risks...

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/coll ... 48050.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/nuance-lost-in ... 30060.html

Just for the sake of clarity. Number of athletes in the study not listed, many other missing components including not every athlete in the study getting a cardiac MRI. Not saying it is good news by any stretch, but for all we know it could be 3 OUT of 9 athletes...

Go Twins
JoeMauer89!
Further clarification, just goes to show you that something that is not perr-reviewed should not be accepted whatsoever as fact or reality.

Kyle Bonagura
@BonaguraESPN
·
1h
Regarding the claim that 30-35% of Big Ten athletes have been discovered to have heart conditions linked to Covid-19: It was incorrect.

Here is some clarification from Penn State.

"Dr. Sebastianelli wishes to clarify this point, and apologize for any confusion."

Greg McElroy
@GregMcElroy
·
45m
The sickening part is that the tweet that began the spread of misinformation about COVID-19/Myocarditis has 10x more interactions (likes/retweets) than this clarification tweet. What a joke.

Go Twins!
JoeMauer89!
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:36 pm
CU88 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:00 pm It is almost as if they are serious about health risks...

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis.

Just for the sake of clarity. Number of athletes in the study not listed, many other missing components including not every athlete in the study getting a cardiac MRI. Not saying it is good news by any stretch, but for all we know it could be 3 OUT of 9 athletes...

Go Twins
JoeMauer89!
Further clarification, just goes to show you that something that is not perr-reviewed should not be accepted whatsoever as fact or reality.

Kyle Bonagura
@BonaguraESPN
·
1h
Regarding the claim that 30-35% of Big Ten athletes have been discovered to have heart conditions linked to Covid-19: It was incorrect.

Here is some clarification from Penn State.

"Dr. Sebastianelli wishes to clarify this point, and apologize for any confusion."

Greg McElroy
@GregMcElroy
·
45m
The sickening part is that the tweet that began the spread of misinformation about COVID-19/Myocarditis has 10x more interactions (likes/retweets) than this clarification tweet. What a joke.

Go Twins!
JoeMauer89!

Penn State has clarified comments that the school’s Director of Athletic Medicine, Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli, made to the State College Area School District’s school board earlier this week.

The Centre Daily Times reported Thursday that Sebastinaelli, who doubles as the Lions’ football team doctor, said that 30 to 35 percent of the Big Ten players who have tested positive for the coronavirus were also diagnosed with myocarditis, which is an inflammation of the heart that has been found in those who have the novel virus.

It turns out that isn’t the case.

“During his discussion with board members, he recalled initial preliminary data that had been verbally shared by a colleague on a forthcoming study, which unbeknownst to him at the time had been published at a lower rate,” Penn State said in a statement to ESPN’s Kyle Bonagura.

“The research was not conducted by Dr. Sebastianelli or Penn State. Dr. Sebastianelli wishes to clarify this point and apologize for any confusion.”

Penn State’s statement to ESPN went on to say that no Penn State players who tested positive for COVID-19 have myocarditis. The medical condition is said to be one of the main reasons why the Big Ten and PAC-12 both voted to postpone their fall sports seasons indefinitely back on Aug. 11.

In a video of Sebastinaelli’s comments to the school board, he also expressed uncertainty about what the longterm effect of myocarditis really is and added that “many cardiologists feel this is a finding that is incidental and may not warrant any further investigation or concern. And they’ll let somebody compete again”

During a radio show segment that was recorded before Sebastinaelli’s comments made national headlines, Penn State coach James Franklin praised his contributions to player safety during the global health crisis.

“Wayne Sebastinaelli, his leadership through this has been really good,” Franklin said on The Penn State Coaches Show. “Wayne’s been very valuable to me.”
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Go Twins
JoeMauer89!
Looks like it was corrected to ~15%, but the articles do have a lot of info missing - I will wait for the actual study.

A brief search yields at least a few dozen or more positive results for athletes at most Big 10 schools.

So the sample size should be big enough to be statistically significant.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:43 pm

Go Twins
JoeMauer89!
Looks like it was corrected to ~15%, but the articles do have a lot of info missing - I will wait for the actual study.

University of Iowa alone had nearly 100 athletes test positive though. A brief search yields at least a few dozen or more positive results for athletes at most Big 10 schools.

So the sample size should be big enough to be statistically significant.
Statistically significant it certainly is, but let's not rush to judgement based on words CLEARLY taken out of context that a single medical professional uttered with whole lot of important data missing to back it up. I don't care about Politics or not, NO Power Five Football Conferences would be attempting to play if the number was truly 35%, with sufficient empirical data to back it up. If you see the article I posted above, Many Cardiologists categorically disagree with these findings. Bottom line, we don't know and much more data is needed.

Additionally from the NFL:

John Kryk
@JohnKryk

League source confirms: zero #NFL players thus far who've had #COVID19 have been diagnosed w/ myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation). All are tested for it.

Including off-season, per
@NFLPA
+
@NFL
info, 171 of some 2,800 #NFL players at camps tested + for #Coronavirus.

Go Twins!
JoeMauer89!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it's almost as if facts are tough to discern anywhere.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:56 pm it's almost as if facts are tough to discern anywhere.
wgdsr,

You took the words right out of my mouth! :lol: :lol:

Go Twins!
JoeMauer89!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:58 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:56 pm it's almost as if facts are tough to discern anywhere.
wgdsr,

Go Twins!
JoeMauer89!
All I know is that sports are essential too!!
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:01 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:58 pm
wgdsr,

Go Twins!
JoeMauer89!
All I know is that sports are essential too!!
:lol: :lol: In some parts of the United States, we can ALL agree, this is FACT.

Go Twins!
JoeMauer89!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yes, some cleanup on this report is definitely needed.

Not sure if there is accurate reporting across the board of results of testing of Big Ten athletes. From what I know, I think it is quite likely that all athletes have been tested this fall. What I don’t know is what percentage tested positive. But it is multiples more than 10 individuals, I am sure, from the many anecdotal reports I have heard and read.

What struck me as not necessarily credible from the initial report is that all athletes who tested positive were given MRIs of the heart. Again anecdotally, I have not heard that. That seems to not be true.

From what I’ve heard and read, however, it is simply not true that cardiologists in general are brushing this off as inconsequential. It is simply too early to say. It is a well-known heart condition which usually resolves fully in time, or it may cause long-term damage to the heart. It is a condition that absolutely requires monitoring.

These are young kids who hope to live another 50, 60, or 70 years. Care needs to be taken to be sure that their hearts aren’t damaged even if only temporarily. If someone does have myocarditis, they may not be able to exercise vigorously or participate in their sport until the condition resolves. This is something that obviously needs to be doped out.

And there is the very small study from Germany which shows an alarmingly high percentage of infected individuals with the condition.

Is this a problem that should be a major concern? We simply don’t know yet. But it is yet another reason why minimizing the spread of the disease is in the best interest of everybody.

Those who continue to minimize the virus are doing society in general no good.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:11 pm Yes, some cleanup on this report is definitely needed.

Not sure if there is accurate reporting across the board of results of testing of Big Ten athletes. From what I know, I think it is quite likely that all athletes have been tested this fall. What I don’t know is what percentage tested positive. But it is multiples more than 10, I am sure, from the many anecdotal reports I have heard and read.

What struck me as not necessarily credible from the initial report is that all athletes who tested positive were given MRIs of the heart. Again anecdotally, I have not heard that. That seems to not be true.

From what I’ve heard and read, however, it is simply not true that cardiologists in general are brushing this off as inconsequential. It is simply too early to say. It is a well-known heart condition which usually resolves fully in time, or it may cause long-term damage to the heart. It is a condition that absolutely requires monitoring.

These are young kids who hope to live another 50, 60, or 70 years. Care needs to be taken to be sure that their hearts aren’t damaged even if only temporarily. If someone does have myocarditis, they may not be able to exercise vigorously or participate in their sport until the condition resolves. This is something that obviously needs to be doped out.

And there is the very small study from Germany which shows an alarmingly high percentage of infected individuals with the condition.

Is this a problem that should be a major concern? We simply don’t know yet. But it is yet another reason why minimizing the spread of the disease is in the best interest of everybody.

njbill,

You are absolutely right that it is a serious condition. The study out of Germany was heavily edited/corrected recently, not showing nearly the initial incidence that it had originally had. My point was at this point we only have ANECDOTAL information to go off of, not empirical data that is peer-reviewed. We should not jump to conclusions from these anecdotal reports. That is all I mean. If the NFL has no cases of to date, and this information came straight from the NFLPA itself, The Big Ten sure as hell doesn't have 35% of its athletes with Myocarditis. 15% may even be a stretch. Unless it comes out that for some reason this 18-22 cohort of college athletes is more at risk for it, which I am unaware of. Again speaking from experience, I have a younger sibling who played lacrosse for Dr. Gait up north that had a case of it. She was fine and back to working out after two weeks of rest and some very mild steroids she was prescribed.

Go Twins!
JoeMauer89!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Agreed Joe.

But a key take away from the NFL report is that the NFL doctors are considering the condition to be serious if they are testing all positives for it. Good to hear that none of the NFL positive players have myocarditis.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njbill wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:11 pm Yes, some cleanup on this report is definitely needed.

Not sure if there is accurate reporting across the board of results of testing of Big Ten athletes. From what I know, I think it is quite likely that all athletes have been tested this fall. What I don’t know is what percentage tested positive. But it is multiples more than 10 individuals, I am sure, from the many anecdotal reports I have heard and read.

a league like the b1g and a number of others have a lot of scratch nowadays. anyone know whether they have access to their own mri machines? i'd suspect some do?

does that change a $1,000 mri into a $100 mri?
mri all athletes with positive pcr and/or antigen tests until cleared?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DocBarrister

Re: All things tRUMP CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:21 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:17 pm 186,000+ dead Americans thanks to tRUMP virus.

Donny Dunce's "success" remains unmatchable.
Worldmeter has us at 190,000+. We will be getting off the interstate sometime this month.
Yep. Over 191,000 dead now.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

200,000 is right around the corner.

But do any of the Trump supporters here express any sorrow or regret? Nah ....

Pathetic.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:06 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:17 pm 186,000+ dead Americans thanks to tRUMP virus.

Worldmeter has us at 190,000+. We will be getting off the interstate sometime this month.

Pathetic.

We will be over 1,000,000 globally by the end of this month.
“I wish you would!”
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:28 pma league like the b1g and a number of others have a lot of scratch nowadays. anyone know whether they have access to their own mri machines? i'd suspect some do?

does that change a $1,000 mri into a $100 mri?
mri all athletes with positive pcr and/or antigen tests until cleared?
Virtually all of them have medical campuses attached, so yep they are done on the cheap.

I last coached (assistant) at a P5 school 3 seasons ago, and even as a non-revenue sport it's amazing what the programs had support-wise. Miles ahead of my wife's and my experience just 15-20 years prior. Apparel budget for the team was over 100k.

My dad played a non-revenue sport at an SEC school in the late 50's to early 60's. His head coach was an assistant football coach, and the only thing they got was a polo shirt. :lol:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:51 pm Maryland just came off the NYS quarantine list. I am sure things are slowly opening up to some level..... won't be pre-Covid level for some time. Gyms in NY and NJ just re-opened with capacity limitations. Thing are not like they were in Late March and April and into May. If it were me, I would have kept everything shut down until July 1. Everywhere. We would be further along than were we are. We are going to limp along.
Maryland’s numbers have been better than NY for the entirety of this event. In every way.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Nope, no one excited about Covid deaths for political
Reasons.

:roll:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:06 pm

Pathetic.

Nope, no one excited about the Covid numbers for political reasons.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:26 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:51 pm Maryland just came off the NYS quarantine list. I am sure things are slowly opening up to some level..... won't be pre-Covid level for some time. Gyms in NY and NJ just re-opened with capacity limitations. Thing are not like they were in Late March and April and into May. If it were me, I would have kept everything shut down until July 1. Everywhere. We would be further along than were we are. We are going to limp along.
Maryland’s numbers have been better than NY for the entirety of this event. In every way.
Well my buddy’s daughter considered quarantining at my house before her return to Fordham. I should tell him NYS is wrong for putting Maryland on the quarantine list.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”