Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

This midfield discussion also touches upon something that will be dramatically different next year:

How MF players get playing time.

I don’t want to get into a major critique of the past system, but it is my firm belief that it was highly predicated on player aptitude at being able to play “set defenses” and the intricate slide packages.

If you showed you couldn’t handle that very well as a frosh or soph, you might not get any playing time as a jr or sr either.

And along came the shot clock and more transition. Further devaluing set defense a bit and making transition D more important.

Next year will be very interesting. We can discuss midfielders and who gets time on offense a lot.

But, I’m going to be fascinated by how many Hopkins runs through the defensive side on a faster paced DEFENSE as well as offense. I think you are going to see more bodies.

Just be mentally prepared to see more goals given up.

But, if the offense scores a lot more per game, I’ll take it.

Beware of complaining about the D and Goalie too much next year - this will be a big change for them. But, hopefully it will be exciting, more FUN, and produce wins as an added side effect.

Just a few random thoughts.
Wombat
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:53 am
Just be mentally prepared to see more goals given up.

Wombat
I fail to see how we could possibly see more goals given up next year than we've already seen the last two seasons.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

With the caveat that Hop faced possibly the toughest early season schedule in the country in terms of opposing offenses, the defense was 61st in efficiency. It is going to be extremely difficult to do worse than that, but, who knows, maybe they can do it!

Even a marginal improvement there, combined with a more consistent offense, will make a real difference.

You don't need an elite defense to win. You certainly can't win with an actively BAD defense but you can do well with just an okay one. But if you don't have the firepower to compete with some of these other teams on the offensive end, you don't have much of a shot.

If the theory held by some here that Koesterer's magic dust will help the faceoff unit (which was already doing pretty well, IMO, though with room for improvement), then that will be another help to the D.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I appreciate everything concannon did for us and if we were close to a ff or title I would've loved to have seen him back but we're starting a rebuild and a 6th year middie w/a history of health issues wasn't part of the future. to me we only want 1 year kids if they're surefire starters who can play at all b1g level at a position of need and can stay healthy.

I'm not sure where you get 3 midfields from. a lot of those kids you've named haven't shown much in their time. Of all the interesting stories for next year one is going to be finding out if these kids were really talented after all (and petro was a good recruiter who couldn't get the best out of them) or they're just busts (in which case a new coach gets the same production). zinn has shown he can run consistently for example and not much else. jay dyer was brought back apparently, but deso remains one of the bigger recruiting disappointments in recent memory.

never felt benson/dwan not getting better jobs was an indictment of them. all sorts of other personal factors at play.

nyjay, we heard a lot in the petro era of the players struggling w/expectations, and I'm ok for once next year of other programs having that burden.

going back to xanders pt, there have to be players buried on this roster, 2020 kids and around the country in the transfer portal who we're not talking about right now who will flourish w/pm. admissions said applications for the 2020 class as a whole were down, so hopefully there are spots available.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I haven't spoken to the Morrills in some time, but I'm a little surprised Jackson isn't coming to Hopkins, given virus etc, family etc. And likely academic opportunity.

the skiing?

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... f-56040213
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:36 pm I haven't spoken to the Morrills in some time, but I'm a little surprised Jackson isn't coming to Hopkins, given virus etc, family etc. And likely academic opportunity.

the skiing?

This happened two weeks ago and we already discussed it at length.

It's not difficult to arrive at three midfields—or at least three midfields worth of guys who could see time in 2021. Doesn't mean it's a good idea (it probably isn't) but the numbers are there if you want it. If you assume the attack is Epstein-Williams-Murphy for the purposes of this, then you've still got Grimes-Zinn-Degnon-Angelus-Baskin-DeSimone-Keogh-McDermott-Bauer-Chauvette-Martin-Raposo-Peshko. That's already 13 guys not even including everyone's White Whale in Mabbett, so not really a giant stretch to say 9 of those 13 will have some impact. And there are still more freshmen unmentioned.

The problem remains that only two of those 12 have meaningful D1 TRUE midfield experience (Zinn and Degnon) and out of all those freshmen only a couple are natural midfielders (the two Canadians, and Martin), though we know Grimes is more than capable of playing middie in a pinch and McDermott probably is too.

To that end I would not be shocked if PM went out and got one of these midfielders in the transfer portal. He has to be looking at the roster and seeing a plethora of talented attackmen and converted attackmen but not a whole lot of true midfield depth.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

You can ski anytime, and being in college isn’t a particularly good time to be doing it.

You ONLY have ONE YEAR left to play the finest sport...

... and then I almost typed “at the highest level” and I immediately realized that I might have answered the question.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:09 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:36 pm I haven't spoken to the Morrills in some time, but I'm a little surprised Jackson isn't coming to Hopkins, given virus etc, family etc. And likely academic opportunity.

the skiing?

It's not difficult to arrive at three midfields—or at least three midfields worth of guys who could see time in 2021. Doesn't mean it's a good idea (it probably isn't) but the numbers are there if you want it. If you assume the attack is Epstein-Williams-Murphy for the purposes of this, then you've still got Grimes-Zinn-Degnon-Angelus-Baskin-DeSimone-Keogh-McDermott-Bauer-Chauvette-Martin-Raposo-Peshko. That's already 13 guys not even including everyone's White Whale in Mabbett, so not really a giant stretch to say 9 of those 13 will have some impact. And there are still more freshmen unmentioned.

The problem remains that only two of those 12 have meaningful D1 TRUE midfield experience (Zinn and Degnon) and out of all those freshmen only a couple are natural midfielders (the two Canadians, and Martin), though we know Grimes is more than capable of playing middie in a pinch and McDermott probably is too.

To that end I would not be shocked if PM went out and got one of these midfielders in the transfer portal. He has to be looking at the roster and seeing a plethora of talented attackmen and converted attackmen but not a whole lot of true midfield depth.
I wouldn’t bet on it. The roster is bloated and PM is known for converting attack to mids.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

"skiing" if you were going from a yale education to a denver one I'd bet you'd have a lot more free time too. I'd love to see a hopkins/maryland player discuss how much time studying each did in college.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I can attest to what USNA students endure. It is no wonder we never hear from our kids. They are absorbed in academics, then squeezing in time in between classes to work out. Their professors where highly engaged in on-line learning and prepared.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 - which middies in the portal do we even want at this point? McCarthy from Princeton is the only one that jumps out at me. Other than that, I'd certainly take Mike Adler, but absent some developments at Cornell regarding its seniors, I'm not sure anyone else is really worth it at this point.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:09 pm

the skiing?

CUT
He has to be looking at the roster and seeing a plethora of talented attackmen and converted attackmen but not a whole lot of true midfield depth.
Sorry, I obviously missed the decision having happened. I recalled the discussion here of what he might do, but not the decision.

Definitely surprised by that choice. I could see a bunch of other alternatives, Hopkins being prominent but only one, that would likely make more sense for a Yale kid looking to use the year productively academically as well as athletically.

Thus my crack about skiing.
Tongue in cheek.

I went to Dartmouth, we own a mountain 15 minutes away, essentially free to students, shuttle, yet only skied a few times my freshman year, knowing I was competing then became the starter in net and not wanting to jeopardize my team's chances by my being stupidly injured. Can't say that was every player's choice though, and I certainly understand the attraction of the slopes!

All the more so in Colorado!
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Which goalies in the portal are worth pursuing? If Giacalone stays and Gainey leaves, that still leaves Darby, Marcille, and incoming DiMarsico.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

MDlax - What do I know but if you look at Denver's returning players they kind of need a Jackson Morrill type pretty badly, while the one thing Hopkins has is attackmen and I know everyone would say he and Epstein could play together and I am sure they could but they both like a lot of the same points on the field and both like the ball in their stick a fair amount, SO it is possible in my mind - if you already have a degree from Yale - that if lacrosse is a primary factor - you KNOW what you'll be doing on the field with Denver - while at Hopkins you could be at x, you could be on the wing, there was uncertainty around the coaches, the roster etc.

If there is a season - roster construction and field placement of individuals will be fascinating. Currently, if you made me put money on who plays where - aside from Epstein at x - I wouldn't feel comfortable at all. You would assume Williams is the lefty attack but could you think about the prospect of him at the midfield and Grimes as the attack? - you could given Williams ability to use the middle of the field and if he got shortsticks he could do some damage. One would hope ZInn is a 1st middie but if he can't get his shot % over 17? I think an attack of Epstein/Williams and Murphy could be a pretty good unit. That leaves your true prize freshman - Grimes - to battle it out on the midfields. You are still loaded with converted attackmen and Grimes and Degnon probably like the same spots on the field. McDermott is a slippery little character - can shoot with both hands - I think he'll play somewhere. Apparently you needed your first or last name to end in "O" to be a middie recruit for Hop. The 2 Canadian "O's can both shoot, the "O" from Florida is a big fast child, Tallino looks to have stick skills and at one time LaDrido was the#10 recruit in the entire class - he's fallen farther than Patrick Glading. There's alot of (hopefully) young offensive talent as you only definitively lose WIlliams and even if all the seniors leave - offensively you're losing DeSimone/Baskin and maybe Keogh (a player who will be approx. a year and a half from surgery by the time Feb 2021 rolls around and who has talent (led all of Long Island in assists as a junior)

Adler would be the goalie I think - HF16 posted - I believe that he might have been considering Hopkins amongst his choices
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:26 am at one time LaDrido was the#10 recruit in the entire class - he's fallen farther than Patrick Glading.
This one I never quite understood—I will defer to the IL people as they watch a lot more high school lacrosse than I do especially out in California but the kid's most recent highlight tape still shows an explosive, athletic dodger who can sling it from all over the field. Maybe there was a concern about his competition on the west coast, or perhaps an injury I'm unaware of. But from a pure athleticism standpoint I think he's got a lot of potential in the college game to go along with what appears to be a pretty good natural feel for the game. Add him to the list of O's who should compete for PT.

Adler was indeed considering Hopkins at one point, but that was when Petro was still the coach and I have no idea if the discussions continued with Milliman. Last I heard from a decent source was that he had turned his attention toward Duke—not shocking as they are also in need of a goalie.

The Ohio State goalie Kirson also makes some degree of sense—led the Big Ten in save % this season and is looking for a new home. I believe that Jamison Koesterer had a hand in recruiting him to Columbus so perhaps some familiarity there. The only thing is I don't know what the in-conference transfer rules are, he may have to sit a year and that would probably be a dealbreaker, even though he apparently has two years of eligibility still.

nyjay—yes McCarthy is definitely who I was thinking of. The kid dropped 5 goals on us this year and very much fits the bill of a big, physical, dodging midfield presence who could take some defensive pressure off the attack down low. There's also Nicky Petkevich who is more than capable of playing a little midfield and then if you're looking for Hop connections—Virginia's Xander Dickson has an older brother who played with John Grant Jr. on the Denver Outlaws and a sister who played at Cornell while PM was coaching there.

If there is no midfield transfer, I think we'll be okay—as mentioned there's more than enough talent on offense already—but then you're putting a lot of chips on Zinn improving his shooting, Degnon continuing his unexpected hot streak, and either Williams/Grimes taking to their 2021 midfield role quickly.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

More bored musings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNT5VtqE9k0&t=213s

I have a lot more sympathy for DeSimone after watching these. The answer to what happened IMHO - aside from some likely corollaries of sacrificing some speed/quickness for weight/strength sophomore year - maybe some confidence issues once things got frustrating - after Tinney left the midfields were a mess in '19 - IS he is NOT a midfielder not even close. He is/was an X attackman. I think because some great players can do it - obviously from my time Brendan Schneck is a great example - Matt Moore has obviously switched positions - we tend to think any player can do it. They can't. If you are making your living behind the goal - using quickness and change of direction with your back to your defender 50+ % of the time - and your quickness and smaller size is actually an asset against bigger - not as quick - folks with 6 ft poles then going up top against people who are bigger yet just as fast and stronger than you - it's an unbelievable adjustment and not everyone can do it. It's why they told him to add 15 lbs. He's actually done a great service to Hopkins as a lot of players would have taken his Hop freshman year highlights and this tape and gone to almost anywhere that didn't already have a Sowers, Teat or Kraus.
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:10 am
The Ohio State goalie Kirson also makes some degree of sense—led the Big Ten in save % this season and is looking for a new home. I believe that Jamison Koesterer had a hand in recruiting him to Columbus so perhaps some familiarity there. The only thing is I don't know what the in-conference transfer rules are, he may have to sit a year and that would probably be a dealbreaker, even though he apparently has two years of eligibility still.
He would have to sit out a year if he were an undergraduate. But the Big Ten rule has an exception for grad transfers, and according to his OSU bio Kirson just got his degree.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:26 am at one time LaDrido was the#10 recruit in the entire class - he's fallen farther than Patrick Glading.
This one I never quite understood—I will defer to the IL people as they watch a lot more high school lacrosse than I do especially out in California but the kid's most recent highlight tape still shows an explosive, athletic dodger who can sling it from all over the field. Maybe there was a concern about his competition on the west coast, or perhaps an injury I'm unaware of. But from a pure athleticism standpoint I think he's got a lot of potential in the college game to go along with what appears to be a pretty good natural feel for the game. Add him to the list of O's who should compete for PT.

Adler was indeed considering Hopkins at one point, but that was when Petro was still the coach and I have no idea if the discussions continued with Milliman. Last I heard from a decent source was that he had turned his attention toward Duke—not shocking as they are also in need of a goalie.

nyjay—yes McCarthy is definitely who I was thinking of. The kid dropped 5 goals on us this year and very much fits the bill of a big, physical, dodging midfield presence who could take some defensive pressure off the attack down low. There's also Nicky Petkevich who is more than capable of playing a little midfield and then if you're looking for Hop connections—Virginia's Xander Dickson has an older brother who played with John Grant Jr. on the Denver Outlaws and a sister who played at Cornell while PM was coaching there.

If there is no midfield transfer, I think we'll be okay—as mentioned there's more than enough talent on offense already—but then you're putting a lot of chips on Zinn improving his shooting, Degnon continuing his unexpected hot streak, and either Williams/Grimes taking to their 2021 midfield role quickly.
I think LaDrido was ranked that high in the summer of 16 (maybe 15 but i dont remember exactly) was because he was tearing up the HS scene in california and then also was excelling on West Coast Starz which i think is one of the powerhouse travel club teams to play for in the country during the summer circuit. Of course ER was still huge back then and him as an 8th grader was possibly a hot recruit at the time
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Homer wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:20 am
He would have to sit out a year if he were an undergraduate. But the Big Ten rule has an exception for grad transfers, and according to his OSU bio Kirson just got his degree.
A defenseman from Maryland is transferring to OSU and I have not heard that he has to sit a year....correction it has come out he will have to sit a year via Big Ten rule
Last edited by AreaLax on Tue May 19, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

On the above West Coast kid, without citing or linking to all the above quotes. Look at Quent Buchman out of CA from a couple years back, picked as the number three recruit to Notre Dame when there were obviously better players than him, it was a strange choice.

Bishop school plays good S CA competition and has had good recruits coming out of there,

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... ive_id=272

A lot of the CA players still have football as their number one sport, lacrosse really being their ticket to a top East Coast school.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”