All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

ggait

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by ggait »

No one tell diss and gait what the death tolls of New York and new jersey are. Might cramp their heads.
NY, NJ, France, Italy, Spain, UK, Sweden all got hammered early.

All pretty much have things under control now.

FL, which had the advantage of not being in the first wave, not so much.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ggait wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:43 pm
No one tell diss and gait what the death tolls of New York and new jersey are. Might cramp their heads.

Does your reply not advocate herd immunity at ~20% when mentioning NY, NJ, France, Italy, Spain, UK, Sweden?

From Germany,,,,not Trump: https://www.n-tv.de/wissen/Zu-viele-pos ... 06224.html
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Pelosi visits closed hair salons, without wearing a mask. If not for double standards, she'd have no standards at all. https://www.ktvu.com/news/nancy-pelosi- ... -francisco
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:06 pm Pelosi visits closed hair salons, without wearing a mask. If not for double standards, she'd have no standards at all. https://www.ktvu.com/news/nancy-pelosi- ... -francisco

I thought this was a deadly pandemic and we needed to lock down? What happened?

:lol:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:06 pm Pelosi visits closed hair salons, without wearing a mask. If not for double standards, she'd have no standards at all. https://www.ktvu.com/news/nancy-pelosi- ... -francisco
https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/ite ... ossip-park
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.thelocal.de/20200713/german ... oronavirus

Herd immunity remains a question mark.
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

Does your reply not advocate herd immunity at ~20% when mentioning NY, NJ, France, Italy, Spain, UK, Sweden?
Not sure I'm following you. But I don't think anyplace has herd immunity.

I think there are places where they have bent the curve through serious prolonged SD (and testing, tracing). And places that have not done that.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ggait wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:36 pm

I think there are places where they have bent the curve through serious prolonged SD (and testing, tracing). And places that have not done that.
You call it via SD, testing, tracing....some using all the current and historical virus data call it anticipated and expected. We have to be careful discussing that this CV-19 is serious, but it also appears to running its course like many other viruses.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:54 pm

You call it via SD, testing, tracing....some using all the current and historical virus data call it anticipated and expected. We have to be careful discussing that this CV-19 is serious, but it also appears to running its course like many other viruses.
What is Heterogeneous Community Resistance?
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:56 pm
ggait wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:43 pm

From Germany,,,,not Trump: https://www.n-tv.de/wissen/Zu-viele-pos ... 06224.html
no, for the most part they've worked the incidence low and are doing test, trace, isolate but they aren't at any sort of 'herd immunity' and won't be until a vaccine helps.

They're vulnerable to outbreaks, but if they wear masks, test, trace, isolate, they can keep a lid on it. But no guarantees.

Same for the more affluent Asian countries.

India is getting crushed as they have so much poverty and crowding.
It'll be interesting to see whether they can get their problem under control.
Typical Lax Dad

Trust this dude on a novel virus. Not Fauci.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

no, most such pandemics have multiple waves, they don't just disappear. There's no evidence that won't be the case with COVID...it has some particularly nasty characteristics.

and we do see some evidence of new outbreaks in regions that had a first wave...if SD relaxes too much.

Where does this wishful thinking come from?
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:08 pm

no, most such pandemics have multiple waves, they don't just disappear. There's no evidence that won't be the case with COVID...it has some particularly nasty characteristics.

and we do see some evidence of new outbreaks in regions that had a first wave...if SD relaxes too much.

A guy that handicaps football games.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

It comes from continued optimism and history that shows we will improvise, adapt, and overcome. We are a smart, can do people. As you often say “ we CAN, walk and chew gum” instead of always poo-pooing everything based on who posts it, I prefer to believe we will find a way.

Not blindly following what is spoon fed us on tv, I prefer to try and absorb bits from everywhere. Couple that with faith that others smarter than each of us are contributing for the greater good of ALL circumstances.

We have been told to follow the science, flatten the curve, last I checked, the curve has essentially flattened and Fauci on Kaiser news, is optimistic vaccine trials may end early if trails are a success.
~Livy

Unknown Participant

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by Unknown Participant »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:52 am
Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:29 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:21 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:27 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:42 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:58 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:47 am Another major college football team is struggling, with Auburn having gone four days without practice due to positive COVID-19 tests.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2020/ ... esday.html

What would happen if Auburn skips four consecutive practices during the actual season?

This is getting really stupid. The college football season needs to end now.

DocBarrister :?
Americans have lost their collective minds.
You see TLD, DocBarrister just parrots the CNN/MSNBC/ABC, etc. line. After Nov. 3, it will be business as usual. I have no skin in the game re. Hopkins, and I enjoy the vibrancy, give and take and knowledge of this particular board, plus its voluminous content, but DocB is a PIA w/his pompous, all knowing, left-wing commentary political and otherwise. FTG. I assume he has made and his money and is safe and secure. So F the rest of us that would really like to get back to work like we have the potential to do so we can live and fund our retirements and kids' college educations. To say nothing of our kids returning to the normalcy that DocB had when he attended JHU. You know, studying, playing lax, partying, chasing skirts, etc.

I will give myself a 1-3 day penalty.

Best,
My wife is a college professor. College sports is a low priority in the scheme of things. I feel bad for athletes but unfortunately it’s a global pandemic. Fortunately my kid’s college playing days are over so I don’t have that dilemma or pressure. My daughter is back on her college campus and I hope she is able to stay there. If not seeing college sports increase her likelihood of having some semblance of a college experience I will suck it up. I was headed to the OSU vs Michigan game this year. Maybe next year. It sucks but everyone around the planet is dealing with it.
I understand, but my son got into an elite academic school after 4 years of concerted hard work in HS plus great board scores. He then walked on to a top-tier lacrosse program after MIT, where he was "recruited", did not admit him. The team he is on is truly a family, and my son has worked extremely hard to be admitted to that family. To discard all that due to a virus that is fatal to a tiny percentage of the population, primarily the old and unwell, when there is minimal risk to the 18-22 demographic makes almost no sense. The insanity has gone on long enough.

Now I will serve my penalty.

[edited]: and is see Pcowlax has edited his respone re. Docb.
That illustrates the problem ... a bunch of selfish, self-interested %%%%% who can’t see past their own ignorant wants.

This isn’t about you or your son. It’s about everyone. Your son could still get sick. Plenty of young people his age have suffered injury and even death from Covid-19. If not him, then he could still get infected and infect others, and not just the elderly.

Why is it so many conservatives are such selfish %%%%%?

There are over 186,000 dead Americans and we are not even close to controlling this pandemic.

And you’re complaining that your son might not play lacrosse.

Seriously, %%%% you.

DocBarrister
You are a clown. How many college-aged students have died? Everyone gets sick once in a while. Some time it's bad so you have to stay in bed a day or two. No big deal.

It's not the plague. Look at the facts.
The data indicate that up to a third of young adult Covid-19 patients aged 18-25 could experience severe illness. That’s from a study conducted by UCSF researchers at Benioff Children’s Hospital, one of the best pediatric hospitals in the world.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/07/41808 ... tudy-shows

The notion that Covid-19 is “no big deal” for young adults is an ignorant one.

As data shows more and more younger people are getting infected by the novel coronavirus, health experts are trying to bust a myth that they say has stifled the global health crisis response: that young people can’t get seriously ill from the virus that has killed more than 574,000 people around the world.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/hospitals ... d=71775378

There have been numerous reports regarding inflammatory complications (e.g., myocarditis) and serious cardiovascular events (strokes and heart attacks) in young patients. Even as young as 12 years old:

https://www.diagnosticimaging.com/view/ ... d-covid-19

Maybe you’re watching too much Fox News or reading too many of Trump’s tweets.

Whatever the cause of your apparent ignorance of the available science, you may want to do your son and yourself (and everyone else) a favor and get better educated on the facts.

DocBarrister
You remain a clown. Grow up. Get a set of balls and live your life.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Flatten the curve was only the first step - keep the resources from getting so scarce that people would not die from lack of any treatment options.

Then the idea was to get the numbers so low that you could test, trace and isolate. That part has never happened except in parts of the northeastern US.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:51 pm

It comes from continued optimism and history that shows we will improvise, adapt, and overcome. We are a smart, can do people. As you often say “ we CAN, walk and chew gum” instead of always poo-pooing everything based on who posts it, I prefer to believe we will find a way.

Not blindly following what is spoon fed us on tv, I prefer to try and absorb bits from everywhere. Couple that with faith that others smarter than each of us are contributing for the greater good of ALL circumstances.

We have been told to follow the science, flatten the curve, last I checked, the curve has essentially flattened and Fauci on Kaiser news, is optimistic vaccine trials may end early if trails are a succesjs.
just go with these guys, ya. they know everything.
Unknown Participant

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by Unknown Participant »

As an anecdotal, and I am not a scientist, Dr., etc. In 1995, I was a USMCR with Weapons Company 25th Marines after 5.5 yrs in the tip of the spear with 1st Bn., 6th Marines 2MARDIV. Back then as a general rule, I never went to the doctor (my old sawbones dad was good enough). In the summer between my IL and 2L years at law school, I had the most ridiculous case of something (maybe narcolepsy (if that is a thing)). No energy, just wanted to nap, which I did all the time. It was brutal. I worried that I had Lyme, AIDs (had been to Olongapo City in 88), Cancer, Malaria, I literally just wanted to lay in bed and sleep forever. It lasted for a month or two. No f'n clue what was the cause (29 Palms water maybe), but I had something. Was really worried about my prospects for 2L. But I got over that just as fall semester started and I was good to go. Who the f' knows. All these Covid novel theories about permanent impacts on health, like Doc B sprouts, he has no clue.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:05 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:51 pm

We have been told to follow the science, flatten the curve, last I checked, the curve has essentially flattened and Fauci on Kaiser news, is optimistic vaccine trials may end early if trails are a succesjs.
just go with these guys, ya. they know everything.
Someone said we won’t figure this out? You got a link? Flatten the curve meant it was over? We have a lot of people that have not cracked a microbiology book that know the science is wrong. I would love for someone who hasn’t spent a day doing what you do for a living to tell you that you are wrong about your job based on hope.

You know what is better than hope in finance? A good structure. American ingenuity helps owners figure it out but I want a rational cap structure and a strong document....and while I am at it, I want good legal counsel..not someone telling me it will work out because we are Americans.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”