Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

JGJR interview

flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:43 pm JGJR interview

From the interview - JGJR says
“If you’re an assistant and you don’t have aspirations for that (head coaching) down the road, there is something wrong”

Now ask yourself if the previous regime had that kind of hunger to get better and progress. That was part of the problem.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

potshot. not necessary nor necessarily accurate just because john grant says so.

it's okay to just be happy with the new staff at this point. or at least vent on what strategically or philosophically would've been "better" rather than projecting one guy's career aspirations onto others as an indictment.
Jaysjay88

Post by Jaysjay88 »

FL22 listened to the words of the new OC and heard something different than he has been hearing from the old C's for years. "Hunger" And connects it to his opinion of what has been missing with Hopkins Lacrosse for many years. He interpreted what he heard to form an opinion. WTH's wrong with that?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Chemistry. Not the team, the coaching staff. Milliman's biggest challenge might be herding coaching staff egos.
a fan

Post by a fan »

flalax22 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:11 pm

“If you’re an assistant and you don’t have aspirations for that (head coaching) down the road, there is something wrong”

Now ask yourself if the previous regime had that kind of hunger to get better and progress. That was part of the problem.
Two words: Freddie Smith. No interest in head coaching. Fair to say he did a fine job, no?

JGJr is still learning about the program...
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

a fan wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:32 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:11 pm

Two words: Freddie Smith. No interest in head coaching. Fair to say he did a fine job, no?

JGJr is still learning about the program...
No doubt Freddie didn’t want to be a Head Coach and yes he did a fine job. The fact that you had to go back 33 years for that example is interesting, no?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:46 pm
kramerica.inc » Sun May 17, 2020 4:11 pm

MrLax2U wrote: ↑
Sat May 16, 2020 9:07 am
Any given year Salisbury (D3) has 6+ assistant coaches. One is full time paid who handles admin and recruiting as well as coaching players. The rest are volunteers. Several are recent grads getting their Masters; one is a university employee who volunteers to help coach b/c he loves the sport; one or more are former players looking to burnish their coaching credentials; and several are former players who live/work in the area. Stevenson U has a similar situation.

I would think if the NCAA allowed Hopkins several more volunteer assistants, it wouldn't make any difference who was head coach and the NCs would start rolling in again.

And that “volunteer assistant” was in fact a former head lacrosse college coach at 2 places (Hamilton University and St Mary’s College) for a decade...He ad lots of success and was named conference coach of the year at both places.
If Hopkins could borrow the Salisbury coaching staff from Berkman, Axel, Block, Miller, Sandlin, Gallagher on down for a year or two, I think they'd see some success.
Undoubtedly. It’s a great system, one that’s built on entirely on accountability and internal competition.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Concannon -now Gomez (potentially a by product of Fernandez) Whether the coaches have anything to do with it or not- the necessary whittling has begun.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:58 am Concannon -now Gomez (potentially a by product of Fernandez) Whether the coaches have anything to do with it or not- the necessary whittling has begun.
The top six offensive players right now appear to be:

Epstein
Williams
Murphy
Grimes
Zinn
Degnon

with maybe Williams, Grimes or Murphy moving to midfield.

But then you've got DeSimone, Mabbett, Baskin, Keough, Angelus, and McDermott plus a host of other incoming freshman so you've got quite a crowd right now. You could run three offensive midfields here. If they want to run and gun, they've got the depth to do it.

I guess we'll see how much difference coaching makes in 2021. If we see DeSimone and Zinn blossom and Cole fulfill his potential, that's something we could credit to the new staff.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 am with maybe Williams, Grimes or Murphy moving to midfield.
Not just "maybe." At least one of them is 100% going to have to come in through the box next season, assuming Epstein is healthy and playing at X.

There is more incoming talent on offense than what can possibly see the field next year...some redshirts might be in order. I think you're going to see a lot more of that across the sport over the next few years.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

16', Next year's Jays are giving me 2017 vibes in terms of Offensive players returning and who the team has coming in. There is an abundance of midfielders who can run from the box, thus Hopkins could really play 3 different midfield lines just dripping with talent. Now hopefully it is just the offensive thinking that has me remembering the hype about the 2017 team, but i think this new staff will surprise ALOT of teams
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:48 pm potshot. not necessary nor necessarily accurate just because john grant says so.

it's okay to just be happy with the new staff at this point. or at least vent on what strategically or philosophically would've been "better" rather than projecting one guy's career aspirations onto others as an indictment.
I've harped on this issue for a while. I sort of get Dwan not moving on. He'd been tied to DP for a long time. But, it was Benson that demonstrates this to a T. But, and here is the catch...not only do you have to have interest in getting an HC job, a school has to want to hire you.

But, yes, I think it is a black mark against any young assistant coach that doesn't want to be head coach because every driven coach wants to see what they can do when they are the top dog. I'm the head coach for my daughter's CYO bball team but only the assistant on my son's and it drives me a little nuts not being in charge for my son's team.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 am plus a host of other incoming freshman so you've got quite a crowd right now. You could run three offensive midfields here. If they want to run and gun, they've got the depth to do it.
Outside of the Ivy league, I think lots of teams can say the same thing.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:35 am 16', Next year's Jays are giving me 2017 vibes in terms of Offensive players returning and who the team has coming in. There is an abundance of midfielders who can run from the box, thus Hopkins could really play 3 different midfield lines just dripping with talent. Now hopefully it is just the offensive thinking that has me remembering the hype about the 2017 team, but i think this new staff will surprise ALOT of teams
Do you mean 2018? Or 2015? The 2017 offense wasn't especially good after the first four games of the season.

There will be a lot of talent on that side of the ball in 2021 but 51's point still stands, you need more consistent threats from the midfield. And not just converted attackmen—you need some actual honest-to-god midfielders who can dodge from up top to score, shoot accurately on the run, or at least get the defense rotating. Zinn fits the bill if he figures out how to shoot. Degnon looked very good in '20 but is more of a set shooter at this point than a dodger, though he did show a bit of that to the point where maybe he offers some more upside in that department. There may be a candidate or two in this incoming class. I have my eye on Johnathan Peshko—a 6'4'' right-handed Canadian midfielder who can shoot from mid-range and in tight. Has box experience. Reminds me a little of Penn State's Jack Kelly.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:01 am
houndace1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:35 am 16', Next year's Jays are giving me 2017 vibes in terms of Offensive players returning and who the team has coming in. There is an abundance of midfielders who can run from the box, thus Hopkins could really play 3 different midfield lines just dripping with talent. Now hopefully it is just the offensive thinking that has me remembering the hype about the 2017 team, but i think this new staff will surprise ALOT of teams
Do you mean 2018? Or 2015? The 2017 offense wasn't especially good after the first four games of the season.

There will be a lot of talent on that side of the ball in 2021 but 51's point still stands, you need more consistent threats from the midfield. And not just converted attackmen—you need some actual honest-to-god midfielders who can dodge from up top to score, shoot accurately on the run, or at least get the defense rotating. Zinn fits the bill if he figures out how to shoot. Degnon looked very good in '20 but is more of a set shooter at this point than a dodger, though he did show a bit of that to the point where maybe he offers some more upside in that department. There may be a candidate or two in this incoming class. I have my eye on Johnathan Peshko—a 6'4'' right-handed Canadian midfielder who can shoot from mid-range and in tight. Has box experience. Reminds me a little of Penn State's Jack Kelly.
I think i'm still remembering the 17 season in terms of solely personnel. You had Tinney coming back, Supinski coming off a good freshmen year, Crawley, Cole WIlliams running with Shack on attack, Connor Reed, Kieran Eissler, Forry Smith came in with a lot of hype, Concannon (i might be forgetting some others?)

Maybe i'm wrong but i remember reading the 17 season and Hop fans had a lot of optimism in the preseason with who is coming back because the midfield had a plethora of injuries in 16.

Also showed possible championship aspirations after fighting back from 3 down twice against a good Loyola team, and you dusted Carolina in their house the next week
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:36 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:48 pm potshot. not necessary nor necessarily accurate just because john grant says so.

I've harped on this issue for a while. I sort of get Dwan not moving on. He'd been tied to DP for a long time. But, it was Benson that demonstrates this to a T. But, and here is the catch...not only do you have to have interest in getting an HC job, a school has to want to hire you.

But, yes, I think it is a black mark against any young assistant coach that doesn't want to be head coach because every driven coach wants to see what they can do when they are the top dog. I'm the head coach for my daughter's CYO bball team but only the assistant on my son's and it drives me a little nuts not being in charge for my son's team.
Yes to be fair to Dwan he was also the Assistant Head Coach.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

There are going to be some seriously loaded teams next year. Duke adds Sowers and Brennan O'Neill. UVa adds Shellenberger and Bertrand. MD adds Brown, Holden and Burlace. SU has the whole team coming back (other than Mellen and Fernandez). PSU and OSU and ND the pretty much same (and they all added some pieces). DU picking up Morrill and Cotler. And the general consensus that the 2020 recruiting class is very good as well. Still think Hop will make the tournament next year, which would be an achievement given how much talent there's going to be.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:01 am

is it crazy for me to think that 2021 hopkins will just be extremely deep? If they can get the offense running anything similar to what Penn State had with Epstein as the playmaker, shooters in the others that can float to open spaces. If a guy gets injured (hopefully not), one of the other guys making up the midfield could replace and produce under JGJR's tutelage.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I think the team will be deep. But I agree with 16 that Hop needs some real midfielders with some two-way ability given the shot-clock. A lot of converted attackmen get killed in transition. And you also have to compare the roster to the ACC teams and MD. While the roster looks great in isolation, it doesn't look so deep as compared to some of those teams. I'm very optimistic. Can't wait to see what the team looks/plays like.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”