All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

the part i disagree with is the big state schools don't have the cash. i do believe if you want to build a community, and be a-on-top-of-it, something like once a week should be the standard.

that's 12+ tests per kid, and an expense that's not so much an expense, but an investment. in your brand, in all of it. gives you more cases, but gives you a real fighting chance to corral it. and look good doing it.

instead, they are relying solely on fear, punishment, shaming, making examples of people and what they don't know under the covers. while not supplying social and physical outlets that are desperately needed by these kids.

adults suck.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I don't see it as a big school - small school problem. It's attitude of the school, its students and the state. Big schools if they are in the wrong environment will not be able to afford it. Big school in the right environment can probably handle it. Same for the elite private schools they can probably handle it no matter the state environment. The small schools in the wrong environment are in real trouble I think.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:58 pm Gee, ya think it's political pressure? :lol:
i'm getting confused. should we believe the fda or not?
ggait

Post by ggait »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:57 pm I don't see it as a big school - small school problem. It's attitude of the school, its students and the state. Big schools if they are in the wrong environment will not be able to afford it. Big school in the right environment can probably handle it. Same for the elite private schools they can probably handle it no matter the state environment. The small schools in the wrong environment are in real trouble I think.
I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that Penn will be testing at a rate many times more than Penn State. Same for IU vs ND, Stanford vs Berkeley, Emory vs Ga Tech, Rice vs UT, Tulane vs LSU, JHU vs UMD, etc.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

By the way, not that it even needs to be said but libs post abject stupidity here all day long so let's join, I'm calling BS on the 4 respondents to the thread's poll who say they know more than 4 persons who have died of Covid.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:36 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:57 pm I don't see it as a big school - small school problem. It's attitude of the school, its students and the state. Big schools if they are in the wrong environment will not be able to afford it. Big school in the right environment can probably handle it. Same for the elite private schools they can probably handle it no matter the state environment. The small schools in the wrong environment are in real trouble I think.
I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that Penn will be testing at a rate many times more than Penn State. Same for IU vs ND, Stanford vs Berkeley, Emory vs Ga Tech, Rice vs UT, Tulane vs LSU, JHU vs UMD, etc.
i don't disagree with what you're espousing in general. maybe yes, maybe no on execution. but what the mindset is... sure.

i do doubt even your list is accurate. this is a lot more case by case. who is competent out there and what is their aim? if they are really short-sighted, and aren't willing to take a year of taking some single digit % losses on testing, i think they'll come out either looking like idiots. and blaming their customers for their own failures. and i don't get the sense that the majority of privates or even save a few have some huge profit margin vs publics.
i pulled up just one of those schools. ga tech.
https://health.gatech.edu/coronavirus/campus-operations
https://health.gatech.edu/coronavirus/prevention
pretty robust overall, but thru the calendar allow for "up to" 1500 asymptomatic tests per day and more for symptomatic. but not mandating it. encouraging it. undergrad enrollment is 16k. bunch of grads.

they could do more. it could be done. they're not supporting a stock price. this is the year to take a loss for the future and the brand. or blame students, make it a sh**ty experience, make sending kids home en masse a greater possibilty.
blame something/someone else for failed policy. must be 2020.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

State schools generally don't have the flexibility to go deeply into the red. They are agencies of the states, which often have balanced-budge requirements.

There is also an infrastructure issue; unless there is a medical school on campus, medical resources must come from the surrounding community, which usually will not want to prioritize the college over local residents.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Ga Tech Is a small state school. 15k undergrads. Plus lots of grad students.

So they are doing, maybe, each student every two weeks. Half of what my kid’s private school is doing.

And what do you think UGA is doing per capita?

300 tests a day for 29k undergrads. So one test per kid per semester?

QED
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Let’s compare UT Knoxville and conference rival Vandy.

UT encouraged but did not require students to get tested before coming to campus. Vandy sent every kid a test at home as a requirement to coming to campus.

Upon arrival, UT tested every symptomatic kid and every kid exposed to a known positive. Vandy tested every kid within 48 hours of arrival. Mandatory.

UT ongoing will continue that “for cause” testing protocol and will also do some survey testing. Vandy tests every kid weekly. Mandatory.

UT stockpiled 22k tests for its 23k undergrads. Vandy is doing 1k tests a day for its 6.8k undergrads.

UT, Bama, UGA aren’t in the same solar system as Vandy when it comes to testing. But Vandy’s fancy private peers will all be doing pretty much the same thing.
Last edited by ggait on Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:47 pm Ga Tech Is a small state school. 15k undergrads. Plus lots of grad students.

So they are doing, maybe, each student every two weeks. Half of what my kid’s private school is doing.

QED
i agree that's what a lot of them are doing.
the question is why.
maybe all of them should wait until there's an extreme circumstance or something out of the ordinary.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:45 pm State schools generally don't have the flexibility to go deeply into the red. They are agencies of the states, which often have balanced-budge requirements.
i needed some levity today.
ggait

Post by ggait »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:24 pm
ggait wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:47 pm Ga Tech Is a small state school. 15k undergrads. Plus lots of grad students.

QED
the question is why.
maybe all of them should wait until there's an extreme circumstance or something out of the ordinary.
Bama added 500 cases in the last 3 days. Which doubled its total cases. I tHink they can prolly wait another couple weeks before considering making any modifications. Agree wg?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

So...what's the accuracy rate on tests being given at these schools?

Positivity rate of the tests given?

Let's say 10% positivity, 80% accuracy...how many of those tested would actually be expected to have the virus?

How many not detected in the test as positive?

Give me some scenarios...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:40 pm

QED
the question is why.
Bama added 500 cases in the last 3 days. Which doubled its total cases. I tHink they can prolly wait another couple weeks before considering making any modifications. Agree wg?
A shut down is coming and in more places. I predicted that back in May and I am sticking to it. We have lost our minds in this country. Close to 1 million people have died.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:40 pm

QED
the question is why.
i'm assuming you're following along with me that my last comment was sarcastic?
their plan sucks.
Typical Lax Dad

This is what Fordham is doing:

You must be tested for the COVID-19 virus (not antibodies) twice in the first month of the fall semester: once upon arrival and again after a two-week period. You may be selected for random surveillance testing for the COVID-19 virus at least once during the semester.
Typical Lax Dad

CU77

Post by CU77 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:29 pm
CU77 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:45 pm State schools generally don't have the flexibility to go deeply into the red. They are agencies of the states, which often have balanced-budge requirements.
i needed some levity today.
I have no idea what you think is funny.

https://www.urban.org/research/publicat ... quirements

https://taxfoundation.org/fy-2020-state ... e-budgets/

01_2.jpg
01_2.jpg (113.35 KiB) Viewed 806 times
ggait

Post by ggait »

Fordham’s testing protocol, while much better than a state U, is a lot less than what the upmarket privates are doing.

Duke is doing 10,000 tests a week. 6700 undergrads, although only half are there in person. Seem to be doing ok so far.

Meanwhile UNC and NC State down the road basically closed.

The cost to keep a campus open until TG is more than what most schools can afford.

Return to “POLITICS”