Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by jhu06 »

BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:33 pm Not that long ago I looked at the Jays schedule and wondered where the wins would come from. This year I have them favored in every match up save Virginia and Maryland. Maybe that’s way too optimistic but this team seems ready to handle their business.
Maryland...???
JaXKy0521S

Post by JaXKy0521S »

Just a heads up the scrimmage against UMBC is now HOME at 5:00pm tomorrow on the new Homewood turf.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:07 am Just a heads up the scrimmage against UMBC is now HOME at 5:00pm tomorrow on the new Homewood turf.
60s and cloudy in Charm City tomorrow. As good as you can possibly hope for for late January.

Hope the Jays emerge unscathed. Enjoy the scrimmage!

Re: Navy, no clue what to expect from them this year. Cottle hasn't coached in college since the first Obama administration. But they have talent and always play us tough so wouldn't be surprised by another close game in March.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Nobody show jhu06 this. IL ranks the Jays' midfield unit #1 in the country. Hard to argue with the depth of scoring and versatility in terms of size/styles. Either Terry Foy is hearing the same things I am about English and Chauvette, or he's basing his analysis off this thread. If that's the case, hi Terry!
1. Johns Hopkins
M1 Matt Collinson, Brooks English, Johnathan Peshko
M2 Brendan Grimes, Hunter Chauvette, Dylan Bauer

Collison (26G, 9A) has legitimate Midfielder of the Year potential (consider that Rabil put up 23&14 as a freshman). Last year, he ran with Peshko (16G, 5A) and Grimes (20G, 14A) as the Blue Jays had less of a first and second midfield, and more of a big and small midfield, stature-wise. Bauer (9G, 7A), Ryan Evans (8G, 4A), Casey McDermott (6G, 6A) and English (6G, 5A) all featured on that small midfield, but feedback coming out of fall and early spring is that English might not be just Hopkins’ best midfielder, but their best offensive player overall. If that’s the case, then it figures he’ll play more, which would necessarily balance out the “big initiators” on the top two lines.

Similar to the feedback about English, word is that Hunter Chauvette’s shooting might be impossible to keep off the field, and classmate Jimmy Ayers has been good, too. Add in Evans, McDermott and Cam Chauvette (7G, 2A), will Hopkins actually run a third midfield?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ield/62456

Meanwhile, Jays were one of the "also considered" for attack but did not crack the top 5 there:
Johns Hopkins has one of the most coveted triple-threat units around in Jacob Angelus, Russell Melendez and Garrett Degnon. The trio fils all the prototypical roles you want as a contender. Angelus (17G, 44A) is the facilitating feeder — seventh nationally in assists per game with 2.59 — who proved he can take it to the rack himself if he doesn’t get the required respect. Melendez (37G, 16A) is the end-of-shot-clock initiator and has the clutch genes to score game-winning diving backhanders. Degnon (41G, 5A) is the lefty outside shooter who can stretch opposing defenses. There’s not much else you can ask for out of an attack unit, but what strides will they take in 2024?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tack/62449
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:59 pm Nobody show jhu06 this. IL ranks the Jays' midfield unit #1 in the country. Hard to argue with the depth of scoring and versatility in terms of size/styles. Either Terry Foy is hearing the same things I am about English and Chauvette, or he's basing his analysis off this thread. If that's the case, hi Terry!
1. Johns Hopkins
M1 Matt Collinson, Brooks English, Johnathan Peshko
M2 Brendan Grimes, Hunter Chauvette, Dylan Bauer

Collison (26G, 9A) has legitimate Midfielder of the Year potential (consider that Rabil put up 23&14 as a freshman). Last year, he ran with Peshko (16G, 5A) and Grimes (20G, 14A) as the Blue Jays had less of a first and second midfield, and more of a big and small midfield, stature-wise. Bauer (9G, 7A), Ryan Evans (8G, 4A), Casey McDermott (6G, 6A) and English (6G, 5A) all featured on that small midfield, but feedback coming out of fall and early spring is that English might not be just Hopkins’ best midfielder, but their best offensive player overall. If that’s the case, then it figures he’ll play more, which would necessarily balance out the “big initiators” on the top two lines.

Similar to the feedback about English, word is that Hunter Chauvette’s shooting might be impossible to keep off the field, and classmate Jimmy Ayers has been good, too. Add in Evans, McDermott and Cam Chauvette (7G, 2A), will Hopkins actually run a third midfield?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ield/62456

Meanwhile, Jays were one of the "also considered" for attack but did not crack the top 5 there:
Johns Hopkins has one of the most coveted triple-threat units around in Jacob Angelus, Russell Melendez and Garrett Degnon. The trio fils all the prototypical roles you want as a contender. Angelus (17G, 44A) is the facilitating feeder — seventh nationally in assists per game with 2.59 — who proved he can take it to the rack himself if he doesn’t get the required respect. Melendez (37G, 16A) is the end-of-shot-clock initiator and has the clutch genes to score game-winning diving backhanders. Degnon (41G, 5A) is the lefty outside shooter who can stretch opposing defenses. There’s not much else you can ask for out of an attack unit, but what strides will they take in 2024?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tack/62449
First I don't know anything about injuries, sad feelings about girlfriends, illnesses, etc. Second I've been pretty clear that the grimes peshko midfield class would take the team wherever it was going to go the last couple of years and frankly and I'm the only one here that believes this, I was right last season. There's too many bodies there you can't count on quarter to quarter week to week. Do they get stats-yes because they play, do they have talent-yes because they have a uniform and a spot in the game, have any of them in 4 years shown they can't be taken off the field unless injuried or tired? No. Are too many of them inconsistent which is why guys like brooks english ascended the depth chart?Yes. Nice players, lots of depth, but not the consistency and alphas you'd expect from veteran hopkins midfielders. Their inconsistency means you have to waste part of the game trying to figure out if they'll be all american, all conference, all ok, or all dartboard material for fanlax commenters with too much time every week.

IL loves them. Great. I really hope they prove me wrong so I can add that narrative (along with the goalie issues 51 documented brilliantly last year) to some others that have been retired in recent seasons like early recruiting issues, is PM getting renewed, does superfan get too much espn facetime, when is the bubble getting built, how does daniels screw the program (according to quint and pietramala), ssdm woes, short fat unathletic attackmen, etc.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:20 pm second I've been pretty clear that the grimes peshko midfield class would take the team wherever it was going to go the last couple of years and frankly and I'm the only one here that believes this, I was right last season.
You can put your ruby red slippers on - click your heels three times and say Grimes and Peshko and it still doesn't make it true.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I think the issue at the root of 06's ineptitude is that he still expects a bunch of Rabils, Harrisons, and Peysers out there, when guys like that don't really exist anymore for a variety of reasons (which IL gets into in that article). The fact of the matter is that a 3rd or 4th midfielder who scores 34 points in a season and who scores at least one goal in nine straight games — including 8 in B1G play alone — is quite good these days. A middie who scores twice in your two biggest games of the season (Maryland and Notre Dame) is good. A freshman midfielder who missed a big chunk of time early in the season who then scores three goals in the span of five minutes in your first round NCAA tournament game is not only already good, but more than likely projects to be extremely good in another year or two. (That's another thing — 06 is incapable of making any sort of projection on his own.)

A midfield group with a 2nd/3rd team All-American sophomore with a McLaughlin Award ceiling, six other guys who had at least 10 points (every single one of them injured at one point or another last year), and a couple of very talented freshmen is deep, versatile, and very good. We don't need or want a Sam Handley, because we have a quality feeder/facilitator and dodging initiator on attack already. So the midfield has been (correctly) designed to compliment that. Someone here is still living in 2005 and does not comprehend what an effective midfield looks like.

Scrimmage today. Haven't seen it in person but on video the new turf looks great. Hope for no injuries.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Oh - there's so many things incorrect about '06's assertions it's hard to know where to start:
- First, it would appear that he expects second line midfielders to have 20+ point production when that is a very rare creature indeed. Look at the final four teams from last year - with the exception of Penn State who was built alot on defense and that goalie - the teams that scored goals didn't have second line middies tearing it up. Take UVA for example - seventh leading scorer and the last above 20 points was McIntosh (scored 6 against Hopkins playing attack BTW). The difference was their attack accounted for over 230 points. And McDermott/English and Evans missed a cumulative total of 15 games - that's an entire season of missed games
- Second - he says he knows nothing about injuries - speciifcally neither do I - howvever - I can count or observe and when somebody doesn't play that usually plays my dear Watson - it means he is hurt. And quite often when you are hurt enough not to play that means subsequent games can still be affected even though you are out there.
- Third, I am a stats guy - pretty captain obvious but I recognize they tell only part of the story and even can be misleading. So he is also ignoring what I would call the Aaron Donald effect. I happened to catch a fair bit of the Lions - Rams game and even though Aaron Donald's stats were nominally "very poor" (1 solo tackle - no sacks) he was clearly - head and shulders - the best player on the field. The Lions often triple teamed him. So a contribution from a Peshko or somebody might not be a goal or an assist - it might be that the defense slid upfield because they didn't want him to get a time and room and that left Melendez open or something of that nature.
- Fourth using stats - Grimes and Peshko gave you an average of 28 points per man - that's not off the charts but its not bad for a team that was more deliberate and held the ball like Hopkins did - 40+ shot clock violations.

Those two specifically need to cut down on their turnovers and then they will be just fine.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

IL accolades are nice and all, but as fans I think we should just enjoy the fact that we have probably more depth and variety of skill sets on the offensive end than any team in the country. It's what makes this offense work.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I assume there's no stream of any kind for today's scrimmage?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:58 pm I assume there's no stream of any kind for today's scrimmage?
No stream, gonna have to rely on JaX and whoever else attends for some thoughts. I believe that IL will have someone there and might have a writeup afterward. Team should have clips on social media as well — already posting some warmups. Looks like an unreal day for January.
JaXKy0521S

Post by JaXKy0521S »

I’m here and taking notes at the game. Offense looks great super crisp and generating a ton of solid looks. I’ll post a full recap quarter by quarter after the game is that’s cool.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:14 pm I’m here and taking notes at the game. Offense looks great super crisp and generating a ton of solid looks. I’ll post a full recap quarter by quarter after the game is that’s cool.
You the man
JaXKy0521S

Post by JaXKy0521S »

Ok after Q1 it’s 5-4 Hop. Offense is crisp and initiating early and often. If the UMBC goalie wasn’t standing on his head it would be 10-4. Garbage goal late from UMBC. Faceoffs are 8-10 JHU with #5 going 8-9. The ride is relentless!
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:27 pm Ok after Q1 it’s 5-4 Hop. Offense is crisp and initiating early and often. If the UMBC goalie wasn’t standing on his head it would be 10-4. Garbage goal late from UMBC. Faceoffs are 8-10 JHU with #5 going 8-9. The ride is relentless!
Great stuff. Thanks!
JaXKy0521S

Post by JaXKy0521S »

Halftime 9-5 JHU only goal for UMBC was a man up goal. Solid start! I will have the full update later. Lots of positive things and the midfield is really dominating this game. Offense clearly more comfortable in year two. Lots of multiple shot possessions and no shot clock violations!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:53 pm Halftime 9-5 JHU only goal for UMBC was a man up goal. Solid start! I will have the full update later. Lots of positive things and the midfield is really dominating this game. Offense clearly more comfortable in year two. Lots of multiple shot possessions and no shot clock violations!
Love to hear it. Appreciate the updates
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:27 pm Ok after Q1 it’s 5-4 Hop. Offense is crisp and initiating early and often. If the UMBC goalie wasn’t standing on his head it would be 10-4. Garbage goal late from UMBC. Faceoffs are 8-10 JHU with #5 going 8-9. The ride is relentless!
A relentless drive by JHU is an expression not often heard on this forum
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

A relentless ride by JHU is an expression not often heard on this forum
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”