All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:11 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:40 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:38 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:49 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:38 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:13 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:52 pm 8.3 milluon people were infected the last 3 weeks of march..
ask penn state.

obama and co had zero idea what they were doing with the swine flu. and got lucky..

anyone that thinks our federal govt is in a position to save us from a pandemic is living in a fantasy world. hopefully we are lucky and get out of this.
How is it working out for our EU peers and their 530 million people? We could have done better.....calling it a hoax wasn’t helpful....liberate your state wasn’t helpful.....a bar is essential wasn’t helpful.....UK, Italy, France and Spain had 58 deaths yesterday...we had 1100.
some of the words weren't helpful..maybe. or maybe it didn't make a difference. how is it that you know? how is it that you know that places that hadn't been hit... wouldn't have gotten hit if not for?
pretty crazy how many experts we have on here.

are we ahead or behind on most of those countries on deaths per million? that may change... is it a win or a loss if it's marginal? are we inviting other info in (excess deaths, other forms of death, economics, lifestyle)?
I am using common sense. I may be wrong though but it seems that basic common sense says staying away from people is better than congregating. Holding a political rally with no masks at the height of a pandemic probably didn’t help but the only way to know for sure is to have one controlled rally with no people and a rally with people and test the people at a rally with no mask a week or two later and compare to those that watched on TV. You would have to make sure both groups are isolated so that they don’t pick it up somewhere else. That’s probably what happened to Herman Cain. In all likelihood it wasn’t the rally. It was passing a guy while out walking.
TLD you should be lecturing every single college student in America. Their schools tell them to quarantine and they say FU... party on dude. It is also interesting that many of these college students are the spawns of FLP know it alls. These kids learned their parents lesson well... do as we say, not as we do.
I wear a mask, have not sat in a bar, restaurant or been to the gym since March. Have not seen older family without wearing a mask and have not been inside my father in law’s place since March. We talk from the sidewalk. I can only do what I can do and HOPE that my kids follow my advice and example but people are people.

Do you believe the “government” could have done a better job or do you think they handled it well?
they could have and could be doing a better job.
am i surprised our federal government hasn't? in a pandemic? no, i am not.
we could use more citizens that handle it like you do. am i surprised that we don't? no, i am not.

i do think we have a lot of folks that are doing a part. far from perfect, maybe more will be done or needed. supply and demand. my bet is on people before government.
We could be doing better. Politicians have not helped. The government plays a role in our getting through this. At the very least, I don’t want the government adding to the problem. A governor suing a mayor about a mask mandate is not helpful. That kind of stuff just contributes to the problem. It’s hard enough as it is.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

Just moved my kid into a college apartment. The school is taking it super triple duper serious.

Telling kids they will get disciplined/expelled if they blow off the rules. And that their covidious misdeeds will go on their transcript which may turn out to be job/internship/career limiting.

Kids seems to also be taking it seriously too. I think they saw and were surprised/shocked how fast UNC and ND had to shut down.

Very much tbd how it will go.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

ggait wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:22 pm Just moved my kid into a college apartment. The school is taking it super triple duper serious.

Telling kids they will get disciplined/expelled if they blow off the rules. And that their covidious misdeeds will go on their transcript which may turn out to be job/internship/career limiting.

Kids seems to also be taking it seriously too. I think they saw and were surprised/shocked how fast UNC and ND had to shut down.

Very much tbd how it will go.
Thanks. Mine heads back tomorrow. Will be tested weekly.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Yeah. One test required at home. Then another test today upon arrival. Then more tests ongoing throughout the semester.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

We are high-school teachers in Brooklyn, and we love what we do. We want nothing more than to go back into the classroom and teach our students. However, we have little confidence in New York City’s strategy for reopening during the pandemic. Officials have given families and teachers vague assurances and clichéd promises, but few concrete plans and steps. Schools are not yet safe enough for us—or the students—to return.

The department of education says that schools will have adequate ventilation, more nurses, and sufficient custodial staff to maintain elaborate hygiene theatrics. Officials claim that they have purchased enough “electrostatic disinfectors” and personal protective equipment for every school. And yet the budget is in such crisis, due to shortfalls in tax revenue and potential cuts, that 22,000 city workers and 9,000 teachers may face layoffs as soon as October 1. The department promises accountability and transparency, but will not even disclose how many educators became ill in the spring. It’s Schrödinger’s reopening: The city both can afford to do it all and can’t afford what we had before.

Regardless of the numbers, we know firsthand the concerns of parents. Remote learning is extremely difficult for families, especially those of young students, who need peer socialization and structure the most, not to mention constant supervision. One of us considered sending his 6-year-old to his school’s blended program, even though he would have been in school only two days a week. Then, over the course of about an hour at the playground, he watched the soon-to-be first-grader sprint to hug his friend; ignore multiple reminders to pick his mask up off the ground; blow raspberries at another child; and take not one, but two passes through another child’s vomit. Making sure that children comply with the rules will be hard enough without the extra stress of unsafe ventilation and unclear protocols.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ke/615583/
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:11 pm i do think we have a lot of folks that are doing a part. far from perfect, maybe more will be done or needed. supply and demand. my bet is on people before government.
By now, our Government could have the testing part done.

They ELECTED not to do that.

Rapid testing, like the one described in the Hamptons? This virus would be done in 90 days. All you have to do is think about what would happen if you could have results in minutes.

Every single business could open to full capacity with testing at the door. A vaccine would no longer be needed.

We CHOSE not to treat this seriously, and hope that the death rate is just "no big deal"

Look to these very pages for this attitude. Result? We're in for a long winter.....and every single college town that depends on those students is beyond F'ed.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU88 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:24 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:34 am [flash=][/flash]
wgdsr wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:52 pm 8.3 milluon people were infected the last 3 weeks of march..
ask penn state.

obama and co had zero idea what they were doing with the swine flu. and got lucky..

anyone that thinks our federal govt is in a position to save us from a pandemic is living in a fantasy world. hopefully we are lucky and get out of this.
+1 anyone that looks to the US Government for salvation is an idiot.
salvation is a strange word here.
Especially if you are expecting it from the US Government.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:23 am
ask penn state.

Who said anything about Salvation.....as for salvation....take government money out of our healthcare system and let’s see how people fare. Buddy was in the hospital for 3 days. $600,000 bill. He has insurance.

It’s a novel coronavirus virus of which (we believe) there is no human immunity. Government can’t make that go away. What the government can do is encourage all citizenry to take steps to reduce the rate of transmission so that we can all restore some level of normalcy and keep the economy moving. It’s about the economy and life as we know it....not the government “saving us from the pandemic”. No government has done that, but plenty have managed to get the virus down while giving the economy runway to recover.....liberate the state, the virus is a democratic hoax, it’s just like the flu and all the other inconsistent messaging from government officials has not helped. You are free to believe that it has helped.
My wife got out of 4 days in the hospital with complications from her hip replacement. After all is said and done after our insurance kicked in we were on the hook for 6500 hundred. that is what our out of pocket co pay is. I am not complaining about our tab. That is why we pay so much out of pocket every week. Our government will never save you from diddly jack squat. If you think they will you are dead wrong my friend. I have a simple answer for myself if i become terminally ill. i have already discussed this with my wife. I will say my goodbyes to my kids and grandkids. With no remorse or regrets i will take my 30 caliber M-1 carbine and put a single round right square in my head. No way in effing hell I put my medical outcome in the hands of the US government. If you FLP folks are comfortable doing so, knock yourselves the flip out.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:23 am
ask penn state.

Who said anything about Salvation.....as for salvation....take government money out of our healthcare system and let’s see how people fare. Buddy was in the hospital for 3 days. $600,000 bill. He has insurance.

It’s a novel coronavirus virus of which (we believe) there is no human immunity. Government can’t make that go away. What the government can do is encourage all citizenry to take steps to reduce the rate of transmission so that we can all restore some level of normalcy and keep the economy moving. It’s about the economy and life as we know it....not the government “saving us from the pandemic”. No government has done that, but plenty have managed to get the virus down while giving the economy runway to recover.....liberate the state, the virus is a democratic hoax, it’s just like the flu and all the other inconsistent messaging from government officials has not helped. You are free to believe that it has helped.
My wife got out of 4 days in the hospital with complications from her hip replacement. After all is said and done after our insurance kicked in we were on the hook for 6500 hundred. that is what our out of pocket co pay is. I am not complaining about our tab. That is why we pay so much out of pocket every week. Our government will never save you from diddly jack squat. If you think they will you are dead wrong my friend. I have a simple answer for myself if i become terminally ill. i have already discussed this with my wife. I will say my goodbyes to my kids and grandkids. With no remorse or regrets i will take my 30 caliber M-1 carbine and put a single round right square in my head. No way in effing hell I put my medical outcome in the hands of the US government. If you FLP folks are comfortable doing so, knock yourselves the flip out.
What do too think that bill would have been without your government?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:08 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:11 pm i do think we have a lot of folks that are doing a part. far from perfect, maybe more will be done or needed. supply and demand. my bet is on people before government.
By now, our Government could have the testing part done.

They ELECTED not to do that.

Rapid testing, like the one described in the Hamptons? This virus would be done in 90 days. All you have to do is think about what would happen if you could have results in minutes.

Every single business could open to full capacity with testing at the door. A vaccine would no longer be needed.

We CHOSE not to treat this seriously, and hope that the death rate is just "no big deal"

Look to these very pages for this attitude. Result? We're in for a long winter.....and every single college town that depends on those students is beyond F'ed.
the number of assumptions here are far too many to count. could we throw the full weight of the us govt at testing? sure. what would that look like and how deep could that go and to what end?

i don't know. and neither does anyone else that i know of.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:38 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:10 am
ask penn state.

+1
Guys, I couldn't disagree more. If the US Government isn't supposed to protect its own citizens from harm?

Can one of you explain to me what the F we're doing with military bases all over the world? Submarines, Bombers, Missile systems, Spec Ops, etc. Or why we invaded Afghanistan, or Iraq, or, or, or.......?

Why the F would we spend one penny on defense if the US Government isn't supposed to keep our citizen safe from harm, and keep our nation in good order?

I'm happy to grant that American culture makes it difficult to manage a pandemic (look no further than this website, where posters are unwilling to do the bear minimum......wear masks or limit contact with other citizens). But that doesn't mean that the Federal Government isn't responsible for citizen's welfare.
"Guys, I couldn't disagree more. If the US Government isn't supposed to protect its own citizens from harm?"

BHO explained this years ago when he told that young lady about why her 90 something year old grandma should not get a pacemaker. The government can't afford to save everybody that needs help. You of all people should understand this a Fan. There is no bottomless pit of money to help every American out there with every malady they may be inflicted with. You wind up doing what BHO told that young woman. You give them enough painkillers so they die peacefully. i get that. When my dad was so sick and contracted shingles he was dying and suffering horrible pain. The doctors increased his morphine knowing it would end his life and relieve the pain he was suffering through. That is what we do now, when we can't heal all we can do is put our loved ones down. The same thing we would do for our dogs or cats. :cry:
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:46 pm the number of assumptions here are far too many to count. could we throw the full weight of the us govt at testing? sure. what would that look like and how deep could that go and to what end?

You absolutely know. Did you see that article about the Richie-rich's in the Hamptons?

Picture what that would do to every. single. business. in. America?

We'd be fully open. Right now. Schools, too. Because if you know that people don't have it BEFORE they enter a building? Problem solved.....back to work, school, and fun.

Further, if you have testing like this, how long would you think it would take to snuff out the virus altogether? Weeks. A matter of weeks.

How much money are we losing every week because we can't do that?

We could have blown a trillion on getting rapid testing to scale, and the ROI would have been met. Think about that.

This is why I said months ago that America is "all in" on the notion that the virus is just "no big deal". We DECIDED not to attack the problem.

We'll be paying the price for 9 more months. At least. F'ing stupid. It's why other nations are asking "what the F is going on in America??"

BTW----this isn't an attack on Trump. There was nothing that kept Pelosi from signing a bill proclaiming an "Apollo Program" on rapid testing. She didn't do it.
Last edited by a fan on Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:49 pm There is no bottomless pit of money to help every American out there with every malady they may be inflicted with.
If we've reached that conclusion? Bring every single last one of out Troops home. Because we're wasting time, money, and our own people for no reason whatsoever.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:54 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:49 pm There is no bottomless pit of money to help every American out there with every malady they may be inflicted with.
If we've reached that conclusion? Bring every single last one of out Troops home. Because we're wasting time, money, and our own people for no reason whatsoever.
I would agree with you 100% in theory. Now your comparing 2 different issues. national defense and national healthcare. Our military can't afford all the toys they want either. They come pretty close. You can't protect 320 million Americans either, not for every illness under the sun. The bottom line is how much can we afford and where do we spend the money to be most effective? i can tell you strait up... i have no idea how to figure it out.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:53 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:46 pm the number of assumptions here are far too many to count. could we throw the full weight of the us govt at testing? sure. what would that look like and how deep could that go and to what end?

You absolutely know. Did you see that article about the Richie-rich's in the Hamptons?

We'd be fully open. Right now. Schools, too. Because if you know that people don't have it BEFORE they enter a building? Problem solved.....back to work, school, and fun.

Further, if you have testing like this, how long would you think it would take to snuff out the virus altogether? Weeks. A matter of weeks.

We could have blown a trillion on getting rapid testing to scale, and the ROI would have been met. Think about that.

This is why I said months ago that America is "all in" on the notion that the virus is just "no big deal". We DECIDED not to attack the problem.

We'll be paying the price for 9 more months. At least. F'ing stupid. It's why other nations are asking "what the F is going on in America??"

BTW----this isn't an attack on Trump. There was nothing that kept Pelosi from signing a bill proclaiming an "Apollo Program" on rapid testing. She didn't do it.
@ $500 a test? for every time someone enters a building? what's the math on that?
or on $100? or on $30?

where are all these tests coming from? have you heard an expert saying "here's how we can produce 1 trillion tests every week (when we're putting out 6 million now) and what it will cost"?. and do you have a calculator handy?

rockefeller said we could do 30 million tests a week and it would cost 100 billion. times that by 30 and then by 13 weeks and divide by whatever poc can make it cheaper by, but multiply by the number of people that need to be around and trained on how to administer tests for every building in america and then hope it works. and you don't miss people who didn't go into those buildings or get a true positive but will go into them after 90 days. and hope they don't spread it.

i don't think people that believe this understand scale and the logistics. that is my opinion, i am sure you don't agree as you have an idea in your head. a good one, no doubt, but not one i consider realistic.
Typical Lax Dad

Where is operation Ludicrous Speed that the President announced?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Your comments are dated by about six months. Those might have been reasonable questions back then.

As has been widely reported, Trump has suppressed testing and efforts to develop new, effective, rapid, and inexpensive tests. Why? Well, as he says, the more people who are tested, the more positive results you will get.

Probably his biggest failure has been his failure to use the bully pulpit to lead on the coronavirus. I think the second biggest failure has been in the testing area. We have been discussing this on this board since March. His failure to pull out all of the stops, including the DPA, on testing is an abysmal failure.

As a fan correctly notes, if we had widespread testing with very quick turnaround on results, the country could be much, much more opened up than it is now. And, of course, schools and colleges could operate at close to normalcy.

All of the other measures, such as social distancing, limiting indoor crowds, masks, etc. would also be necessary, but testing gives you information. Information is critical in every single aspect of life.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:02 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:17 pm Indeed good news, and that's what the #'s appear to indicate will likely be the case over the next few weeks.

The mitigation efforts that began after the most recent surge became evident do appear to have cut transmission rates, so with the lag there should be some lower #'s of deaths for a bit...but this is all dependent upon continuing mitigation efforts.
They are or have essentially ran out of excess deaths.
???

I don't remotely understand...are you joking?
njbill

Post by njbill »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

small nit, the WSJ article wrote today that one 10-15% of the monies allocated by Congress for testing have actually been spent by the Trump Administration...should there have been more money?? I don't think the issue is congress on this one, can't force the Trump folks to take responsibility for the testing...instead they dumped it on the states and private business and didn't even fund them adequately...

Return to “POLITICS”