All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:41 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:24 am
DMac wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:17 am Sure is confusing for the average Joe, to say nothing of the mixed bag you get from the "experts".
So 90-120 days ago the 5,000 dead were relatively healthy, they contracted covid, now they're dead?
I can help by wearing my mask into a restaurant, then take it off when I sit down at a table...but, of course, put it back on if I go to the rest room. Can go into a watering hole (mask on when entering of course) to have a drink but can only have the drink if I'm having food with it. Can't have folks in the stands for a ballgame.
It's pretty nuts and confusing out there....to say nothing of IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“So 90-120 days ago the 5,000 dead were relatively healthy, they contracted covid, now they're dead?”

Not sure, absent COVID-19, they would likely still be alive unless they were in a motorcycle accident or shot. With an undercount, we are at 170,000 dead people mostly over the past 120 days. Expose yourself to the virus at your own risk. My wife is headed back to school for in person teaching. She’s nervous about it and has good reason to be. She teaches infectious disease. Stay safe.
With the risk being reportedly so high as to have pretty much the entire country shut down and in a state of panic, why would she go back to work? Why can she go back to work when so many others can't? Why is it okay to have a pool party with friends at home, but no fans in the stands at a ballgame?
170,000 dead who would still be alive but for covid19?
If you are actually asking the question, Excess Deaths, meaning deaths that would not have normally occurred during the same period, is estimated well beyond 170k. Either COVID is underreported or (I think it's AND) other deaths are up as well as a knock on effect of avoided care due to risk of infection at hospitals, less attention available relative to normal.

And no, it's not really ok to have a pool party, unless everyone actually stays 6ft+ away from one another.

Ever seen fans at a ballgame sit 6 ft from each other?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:59 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:32 am
ggait wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:51 am
Peter Brown wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 30, 2020

Cases have been rising for more than 2 weeks while deaths continue to decrease. Narrative fail.
Democrats upset people aren’t dying (I don’t have a graph for this).
28 deaths on June 29 in FL.

229 on August 14.

Now I didn't graduate from the vaunted UF math department. You know, I'm just a country lawyer.

But wouldn't that be a 700% (8X) increase?

But it can't be Covid. Since Petey told us 1.5 months ago that deaths were going down.

So I guess gunshots, motorcycle crashes, Medicare fraud and legacy death laundering?

Your law school must be embarrassed to have you as an alum, or otherwise you’d focus on meaningful statistics such as Florida continues to rank #18 in the states for ‘deaths per million population’. This in spite of the fact that of all states, Florida should easily be #1 in this metric given the demographics of the state.

You set it up. I’ll knock it down.

Next.
Keep moving the goal posts, Petey, it's all you've got.

Do the math for us on deaths per million run rate, last 30 days...how does Florida rank, despite all the advances in therapies?

Or just do it over the last week if that's easier for you?
Where does Florida rank?

Yup, #1 worst right now.

What are the rules here, MD? Am I allowed to only go week to week now?

Cause if that’s the case, you ought to be careful spiking the football when we’re maybe at half right now. All I see are cumulative stats, and by every measure, Florida is way ahead of most states including yours.

I know you were all about ‘Desantis has blood on his hands because of beaches’ in March (which obviously was preposterously anti-Republican and lacking in any intelligence) so you’ll need to excuse us if we ignore your own moving of the goal posts. I don’t get any sense you’re an uninterested observer of ‘things Florida’. That happens when you lift the skirt. :lol:
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:52 am
6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:48 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:45 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:43 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:41 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:39 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:32 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:30 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:43 pm
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis warned that more Covid-19 deaths may be coming at nursing homes and assisted-living facilities, even though cases and hospitalizations appear to be easing across the state.

“Over the next couple weeks, I’m concerned of seeing kind of a tail where we start to see some of these long-term-care deaths,” DeSantis said Thursday from Tallahassee.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... hs-to-come

What?? Big D*ck DeSantis can't protect his nursing homes??? That's unpossible! He's a very stable genius who opened up his state because there was no f***ing problem there!!! Those of us who said otherwise were just dead-end Never Trumpers who love death.

Memo to PB: 228 covid deaths in Florida yesterday, 5th highest daily total. The 4 higher days were all in the previous 2 weeks.
And he still has 25,000 more to go to get to Cuomo

Yesterdays Post standard headline State's true death toll cloaked in secrecy.
That’s a lie.
FY skippy

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/20 ... crecy.html
When did Syracuse.com become the NY Post?

https://nypost.com/cover/august-13-2020/

Plus it said “nursing homes”. This was already discussed. Trying to sort out who died at a hospital that was sent from a nursing home.
comprehension is a terrible thing to waste.

I said POST STANDARD.

So again GFY
I apologize about assuming it was the N.Y. post. I made a mistake. The headline said nursing homes. You implied all deaths. Did you make a mistake?
Holding the printed paper in my hand and the headline is AS I typed it.
“Yesterdays Post standard headline State's true death toll cloaked in secrecy.”

Were you mistaken? You notice “nursing home” omitted?
forget it d*ckhead. It was as I typed it.
Nope, 6ft, not as you typed.
Totally different meaning as well.

Maybe, you should not throw that insult and just admit you were in error?
It's not a lie unless you knew you were confusing it purposely. Were you?
As DeNiro said to his d*ckhead buddy in The Deer Hunter

This is this. This isn't something else. This is this.

I don't edit the publication. Why the head was different online than in print is their decision not mine.

Lets see if you TDS guys recognize anything REAL.

post-standard.gif
post-standard.gif (171.98 KiB) Viewed 589 times
ggait

Post by ggait »

Excess deaths in the US this year are over 200k.

Whether those are direct Covid deaths or Covid ripple effect deaths, Covid is still, as Mrs. Palsgraf would tell us, a proximate cause.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:06 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:52 am
6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:48 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:45 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:43 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:41 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:39 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:32 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:30 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:43 pm
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis warned that more Covid-19 deaths may be coming at nursing homes and assisted-living facilities, even though cases and hospitalizations appear to be easing across the state.

“Over the next couple weeks, I’m concerned of seeing kind of a tail where we start to see some of these long-term-care deaths,” DeSantis said Thursday from Tallahassee.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... hs-to-come

What?? Big D*ck DeSantis can't protect his nursing homes??? That's unpossible! He's a very stable genius who opened up his state because there was no f***ing problem there!!! Those of us who said otherwise were just dead-end Never Trumpers who love death.

Memo to PB: 228 covid deaths in Florida yesterday, 5th highest daily total. The 4 higher days were all in the previous 2 weeks.
And he still has 25,000 more to go to get to Cuomo

Yesterdays Post standard headline State's true death toll cloaked in secrecy.
That’s a lie.
FY skippy

When did Syracuse.com become the NY Post?

https://nypost.com/cover/august-13-2020/

Plus it said “nursing homes”. This was already discussed. Trying to sort out who died at a hospital that was sent from a nursing home.
comprehension is a terrible thing to waste.

I said POST STANDARD.

So again GFY
I apologize about assuming it was the N.Y. post. I made a mistake. The headline said nursing homes. You implied all deaths. Did you make a mistake?
Holding the printed paper in my hand and the headline is AS I typed it.
“Yesterdays Post standard headline State's true death toll cloaked in secrecy.”

Were you mistaken? You notice “nursing home” omitted?
forget it d*ckhead. It was as I typed it.
Nope, 6ft, not as you typed.
Totally different meaning as well.

Maybe, you should not throw that insult and just admit you were in error?
It's not a lie unless you knew you were confusing it purposely. Were you?
As DeNiro said to his d*ckhead buddy in The Deer Hunter

This is this. This isn't something else. This is this.

I don't edit the publication. Why the head was different online than in print is their decision not mine.

Lets see if you TDS guys recognize anything REAL.

post-standard.gif
Thanks. Your link yesterday had “nursing homes” in the headline. The physical paper has it in the sub heading.....again, there is no mystery as to who died in a nursing home. The question is how many Covid deaths at hospitals should be attributed to nursing homes. NYS reported nursing home deaths are at a lower rate than most of the country....when trued up, those numbers will gravitate toward the mean, IMHO.

“New York’s coronavirus death toll in nursing homes, already among the highest in the nation, could actually be a significant undercount. Unlike every other state with major outbreaks, New York only counts residents who died on nursing home property and not those who were transported to hospitals and died there.”

This is the “mystery” not the actual number of deaths. You get your news from headlines?
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

King Andy opened up bowling alleys in NYS with King Andy rules to be obeyed or else. One very interesting restriction... you can only bowl on every other lane. Any of you out there ever bowled in a league? How do 10 people from 2 teams bowl on one lane? It can be done if you have 6 hours to bowl 3 games. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ggait wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:09 pm Excess deaths in the US this year are over 200k.

Whether those are direct Covid deaths or Covid ripple effect deaths, Covid is still, as Mrs. Palsgraf would tell us, a proximate cause.
Proof that excess deaths are indeed a concern and when they get harvested into the stat machine. Maybe some of those other fanlax friends of the left will listen to you. If it comes from anyone leaning right, it it just BS, tripe, or, fox news, or a hoax.

The issue, is who and how those excess deaths are being harvested into the data and who is deciding. As you may or may not know, when someone dies, they are tagged with an ICD DEath code. Someone has to override that code in that excess death pool.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ggait

Post by ggait »

YA.

My point was that those are total excess deaths regardless of cause. There’s no dispute that those folks are dead. That’s objective not subjective.

So why are 200k more people dying this year vs historical averages?

Hint: it probably isn’t motorcycle crashes or gunshots. You have any ideas?
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:17 pm
ggait wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:09 pm Excess deaths in the US this year are over 200k.

Proof that excess deaths are indeed a concern and when they get harvested into the stat machine. Maybe some of those other fanlax friends of the left will listen to you. If it comes from anyone leaning right, it it just BS, tripe, or, fox news, or a hoax.

The issue, is who and how those excess deaths are being harvested into the data and who is deciding. As you may or may not know, when someone dies, they are tagged with an ICD DEath code. Someone has to override that code in that excess death pool.
Your Twitter scientist put that together for you?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ggait wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:44 pm YA.

My point was that those are total excess deaths regardless of cause. There’s no dispute that those folks are dead. That’s objective not subjective.

So why are 200k more people dying this year vs historical averages?
Can you help me..... Where are you seeing 200k excess deaths above the US avg, pre CV19? Meaning, in the year 2020, to date, you are saying there are >200k deaths, above the pre cv-19 pandemic? Furthermore, that that there is also not a decline in flu, pneumonia, etc in that same 2020 stat trend line?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

FDA clears saliva test for Covid-19, opening door to wider testing
https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/15/fda ... r-testing/
The Food and Drug Administration on Saturday authorized emergency use of a new and inexpensive saliva test for Covid-19 that could greatly expand testing capacity.

The new test, which is called SalivaDirect and was developed by researchers at the Yale School of Public Health, allows saliva samples to be collected in any sterile container. It is a much less invasive process than the nasal swabs currently used to test for the virus that causes Covid-19, but one that has so far yielded highly sensitive and similar results. The test also avoids a key step that has caused shortages of chemical reagents used in other tests.

Yale intends to provide its “open source” testing protocol to laboratories around the country. Other labs can now adopt the method while using a variety of commercially available testing components that can reduce costs, speed turnaround times and increase testing frequency, according to the FDA. The Yale researchers have estimated it should cost about $10 to run a test.
Can be pooled as well...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Hard to keep up with these Democrats who wish death upon hard working Floridians, so I wanted to lay out some graphs for the simple-minded.

Florida New Cases:

Florida New Cases.jpg
Florida New Cases.jpg (55.62 KiB) Viewed 527 times

Florida Covid Hospitalizations:

Florida Hospitalizations.jpg
Florida Hospitalizations.jpg (125 KiB) Viewed 527 times

Miami Dade, which continues to be Florida's achilles heel (one guess as to which party dominates that rat-hole of a county....) is even turning, and they account for 25% of every bad Covid statistic on this state. Without Miami Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach, this state would be simply sublime. Too many yankees brought their liberal politics to those 3 counties, and they drag the rest of the state down. If you resettle in Florida, WOULD YOU LEAVE YOUR CRAPPY LEFTY POLITICS BEHIND? Is that really too much to ask? Let part of the country thrive. Thanks, Joe Taxpayer
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

PB - you left out a very important graph (from the same Tallahassee Democrat article that had your other graphs):

Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:52 pm PB - you left out a very important graph (from the same Tallahassee Democrat article that had your other graphs):

Do you think Florida will top out at 15,000 by 12/31?
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:52 pm PB - you left out a very important graph (from the same Tallahassee Democrat article that had your other graphs):

My two graphs show what’s to come. Unless every single Floridian with Covid Is over the age of 85, the death toll on your chart is about to drop meaningfully. I realize that might hurt the TDS afflicted, but such is The cold truth of statistics and charts.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Let’s hope petey is right this time.

Of course he told us the same thing on 6/30. And he’s been wrong literally every single forking day since then. FL deaths up 700% over that period.

What a troll moron.
njbill

Post by njbill »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:48 pm
The Food and Drug Administration on Saturday authorized emergency use of a new and inexpensive saliva test for Covid-19 that could greatly expand testing capacity.

The new test, which is called SalivaDirect and was developed by researchers at the Yale School of Public Health, allows saliva samples to be collected in any sterile container. It is a much less invasive process than the nasal swabs currently used to test for the virus that causes Covid-19, but one that has so far yielded highly sensitive and similar results. The test also avoids a key step that has caused shortages of chemical reagents used in other tests.

Yale intends to provide its “open source” testing protocol to laboratories around the country. Other labs can now adopt the method while using a variety of commercially available testing components that can reduce costs, speed turnaround times and increase testing frequency, according to the FDA. The Yale researchers have estimated it should cost about $10 to run a test.
Can be pooled as well...
We in Jersey have had a saliva test (we Jersey lowlifes call it the spit test) for a couple of months now. I assume it was approved, but maybe not. Maybe this one is different. Developed by Rutgers. My cousin got one at least a month ago.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

njbill wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:01 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:48 pm

Can be pooled as well...
We in Jersey have had a saliva test (we Jersey lowlifes call it the spit test) for a couple of months now. I assume it was approved, but maybe not. Maybe this one is different. Developed by Rutgers. My cousin got one at least a month ago.
This one was sponsored by the NBA, and developed by Yale. Big difference is that you do not need to extract the genetic material which makes it easier and cheaper. Maybe $4 of actual cost, so $10 a realistic charge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:00 pm

My two graphs show what’s to come. Unless every single Floridian with Covid Is over the age of 85, the death toll on your chart is about to drop meaningfully. I realize that might hurt the TDS afflicted, but such is The cold truth of statistics and charts.
On this prediction, we of course hope that will be correct and deaths will trend downward soon, but given the way Florida (DeSantis) is approaching school openings, I think we're going to see another big surge in deaths come early October.

So far, you've been 100% wrong at every turn, Petey, and I suspect you will be again re how Florida is going to do in the next wave. Schools are going to be a huge problem with reigniting exponential spread.

Fortunately there a whole bunch of communities, like my mom's, that are essentially in lock down, privately, ignoring DeSantis and Trump.

Return to “POLITICS”