Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
btwn30lax

Re: Recruiting

Post by btwn30lax »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:44 am Surprised only one USF kid decommitted recently. I was expecting a few more. They are now at 45 kids committed through 2025. With only one redshirt sophomore. Be surprised if they carry 50 kids in 2026 or they cut some of the 24s like the coach said. With the 2026 class supposedly being as good as 2025 if not better, they are definitely going to try to get some top talent there. My bet is we see a lot of decommits next year and/or transfers . I think thaw transfer portal is going to be extremely active next year in the top 25, irregardless of Covid years gone.
The word that is circling the club coaches is that they dropped a few of their commitments in the 2024 class. Not sure if it’s for academic, social issues, or whatever but obviously getting to thin the herd (pun intended). Also heard few of their transfers have reentered the portal as well for what it is worth.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

btwn30lax wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:44 am
LaxGnome22 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:44 am Surprised only one USF kid decommitted recently. I was expecting a few more. They are now at 45 kids committed through 2025. With only one redshirt sophomore. Be surprised if they carry 50 kids in 2026 or they cut some of the 24s like the coach said. With the 2026 class supposedly being as good as 2025 if not better, they are definitely going to try to get some top talent there. My bet is we see a lot of decommits next year and/or transfers . I think thaw transfer portal is going to be extremely active next year in the top 25, irregardless of Covid years gone.
The word that is circling the club coaches is that they dropped a few of their commitments in the 2024 class. Not sure if it’s for academic, social issues, or whatever but obviously getting to thin the herd (pun intended). Also heard few of their transfers have reentered the portal as well for what it is worth.
Yes. That is more what I expected. The coach did tell my daughter that they will be dropping more. Just figured they would have done it before most of the better teams were done with their recruiting. Maybe they will wait until their senior year of high school is almost over and after spring lax.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:49 am
Yes. That is more what I expected. The coach did tell my daughter that they will be dropping more. Just figured they would have done it before most of the better teams were done with their recruiting. Maybe they will wait until their senior year of high school is almost over and after spring lax. I also expected some of the 23s to transfer since they went from starting their season 23-24 to 24-25. That doesn’t seem to have happened. Interesting times.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:50 am
Yes. That is more what I expected. The coach did tell my daughter that they will be dropping more. Just figured they would have done it before most of the better teams were done with their recruiting. Maybe they will wait until their senior year of high school is almost over and after spring lax. I also expected some of the 23s to transfer since they went from starting their season 23-24 to 24-25. That doesn’t seem to have happened. Interesting times.
You could probably also assume most of those girls aren't staying for 5 years of school. Sure, some will, but it will most likely thin out in a couple years. TBD I suppose.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

The Ara P. quote is true for all college sports. The growing game of lacrosse will bring far more "hungry" players onto campuses to prove themselves. There are lots of girls that haven't been surrounded by talented players and/or coaches growing up, but have figured out how to become very good. Their games have always hinged on them for most of high school and/or club. They may have lost most of the games, but have learned to compete hard and battle against better teams as the norm. The mental toughness has been developed, yet they are far from a finished product. This is where KAH seems to have always had a keen eye for untapped talent and will continue to do so and be a top program.

Many of the girls at the top clubs deserve their props, but many of the top club girls' warts are covered by being surrounded by nice players. Some of the girls at the top clubs have also "maxed" out by 18. They have been playing since they were 6 years old and had great coaches the entire time.

Recruiting is what makes great teams, it's that simple. The hard part is finding the girls with the right combination of both physical abilities and mental toughness to win at the D1 level.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

So confused by all of this. How can they drop recruits at end of their senior year when the girls have signed NLI? And wouldn't dropping a lot of recruits be a big red flag for other recruits to come to the program?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:36 am
So confused by all of this. How can they drop recruits at end of their senior year when the girls have signed NLI? And wouldn't dropping a lot of recruits be a big red flag for other recruits to come to the program?
It definitely won't help their reputation, which hasn't been great over the past year.

Regarding NLI, remember you only technically sign an NLI if you are receiving $$ from the schools. Lots of preferred walk-ons or Ivy commits don't actually sign a NLI, though their schools will still include them in their NLI ceremonies for kids playing athletics at next level.

If you aren't receiving any athletic aid, you can switch schools up until the first day of classes without penalty. Unfortunately some coaches are using this as a way to run kids off before they get to campus.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:48 am
It definitely won't help their reputation, which hasn't been great over the past year.

Regarding NLI, remember you only technically sign an NLI if you are receiving $$ from the schools. Lots of preferred walk-ons or Ivy commits don't actually sign a NLI, though their schools will still include them in their NLI ceremonies for kids playing athletics at next level.

If you aren't receiving any athletic aid, you can switch schools up until the first day of classes without penalty. Unfortunately some coaches are using this as a way to run kids off before they get to campus.
Gotcha. Interesting. Why has their reputation already not great? They've only been around a year or so, correct?
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:27 pm

Gotcha. Interesting. Why has their reputation already not great? They've only been around a year or so, correct?
Not sure if you’re gonna get a legitimate answer to this There’s been a ton of rumors with them pushing their whole entire start time back a year,but I don’t want to feed into that. I can only speak from our experience. My daughter didn’t feel they were 100% honest with her. And like I told her, really all coaches lie to recruits regarding playing time, role on team, etc. But it was Just a vibe we got. As I’ve said before, the visit was great, the coaches seemed really nice, especially the head coach. The math didn’t add up. Way too many kids already. Which meant they were gonna cut kids or try to entice them to leave. We felt if they were gonna do that to kids they recruited, how do we know my daughter wouldn’t be in the same boat when the 26 and 27 class comes in. That being said, maybe it works out for the other kids there. Just wasn’t a good fit for my daughter and she made the decision to move on and go somewhere else.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

A few things that I know lots of club directors aren't crazy about

- not being completely straight forward about their recruiting numbers and adjusting athletic awards after commitment
- trying to reach out to potential transfers in-season (while playing through other teams) through intermediaries (parents, club coaches, etc.). Not this isn't against rules per say; just viewed as rather bad form
- bringing in over 25 girls on official visits
- promising pending offers on official visits and then ghosting

My 25 daughter said the "assistant coach / husband seemed like a creepah". Not exactly sure what that means but I think that is isn't good.

To be fair none of these are things that USF is the only one doing, but it has definitely rubbed many folks the wrong way
Last edited by LaxDadMax on Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

My daughter was told by the female assistant coach that the 2025 recruiting team would be the "catalyst" for their program and that some of the 2024's would not be "making it to " the team when they start next year. Couldn't imagine how that would feel, but as someone said, quite a few acting like this these days.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:57 pm

A few things that I know lots of club directors aren't crazy about

- not being completely straight forward about their recruiting numbers and adjusting athletic awards after commitment
- trying to reach out to potential transfers in-season (while playing through other teams) through intermediaries (parents, club coaches, etc.). Not this isn't against rules per say; just viewed as rather bad form
- bringing in over 25 girls on official visits
- promising pending offers on official visits and then ghosting

My 25 daughter said the "assistant coach / husband seemed like a creepah". Not exactly sure what that means but since that is isn't good.

To be fair none of these are things that USF is the only one doing, but it has definitely rubbed many folks the wrong way
The assistant coach/husband got into it with a former college player on Twitter and it was a really bad look based on what all he said. That alone was enough to have quite a few parents I know state they wouldn't allow their daugters to play at Jacksonville when they were there.

SF fielded a full team for Committed Academy and I can't say I was overly impressed with what I saw on the field. Even so, it's pretty cold hearted to pull what's going on at SF right now and asking kids to leave so late in the game. 100% hurts the credibility of the coaches and the program unless the kids did something very wrong.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:44 pm

Not sure if you’re gonna get a legitimate answer to this There’s been a ton of rumors with them pushing their whole entire start time back a year,but I don’t want to feed into that. I can only speak from our experience. My daughter didn’t feel they were 100% honest with her. And like I told her, really all coaches lie to recruits regarding playing time, role on team, etc. But it was Just a vibe we got. As I’ve said before, the visit was great, the coaches seemed really nice, especially the head coach. The math didn’t add up. Way too many kids already. Which meant they were gonna cut kids or try to entice them to leave. We felt if they were gonna do that to kids they recruited, how do we know my daughter wouldn’t be in the same boat when the 26 and 27 class comes in. That being said, maybe it works out for the other kids there. Just wasn’t a good fit for my daughter and she made the decision to move on and go somewhere else.
All coaches lie to recruits? That’s kind of a bold statement. Was not our experience . My kids must have been lucky….the only thing they were told was that they’d have a chance to compete for time on the field. That’s it. I guess it was so mid 2010’s…..

If that’s your kid’s experience I am sorry that’s her feeling.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Bart wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:05 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:44 pm

All coaches lie to recruits? That’s kind of a bold statement. Was not our experience . My kids must have been lucky….the only thing they were told was that they’d have a chance to compete for time on the field. That’s it. I guess it was so mid 2010’s…..

If that’s your kid’s experience I am sorry that’s her feeling.

I think it’s like any profession. Certain coaches will tell you anything hey think you want to hear to get you. Others will be brutally honest and lastly there is some that will be vague and give stock answers.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

“To be fair none of these are things that USF is the only one doing, but it has definitely rubbed many folks the wrong way”

Except the creeper thing I would imagine. 😳
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Did anyone have kids playing at the Inside Lacrosse IDX event this past Sunday? I'm curious to hear thoughts on it.

We were there in 2022.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:04 am Did anyone have kids playing at the Inside Lacrosse IDX event this past Sunday? I'm curious to hear thoughts on it.

We were there in 2022.
Was a good event. Interesting to see these college commits play together. There’s a good write up on IL site covering games.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:04 am Did anyone have kids playing at the Inside Lacrosse IDX event this past Sunday? I'm curious to hear thoughts on it.

We were there in 2022.
The usual at these events. Good comp. Some me ball. Much better than the usual showcase games like Juniors although the rosters were as large. Some girls looked really really special.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

So recent commits have slowed down to a crawl. Interesting that according to wlax recruiting numbers, Oct 2023 has similar commits to Oct 22. After the Sept fire sale it seems like it’s back to normal. Still a lot of spots out there for kids thru the fall.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:07 pm So recent commits have slowed down to a crawl. Interesting that according to wlax recruiting numbers, Oct 2023 has similar commits to Oct 22. After the Sept fire sale it seems like it’s back to normal. Still a lot of spots out there for kids thru the fall.
Not unexpected given the 2025 class is the first back to a more normal recruiting cycle. Expected the quick start and expect in the end the totals will be similar to previous years, maybe slightly higher given the full cycle. Not as deep of a class as the 2023s, deeper than the 2024s.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”