movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
MDlaxfan76

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:02 pm Saw Just Mercy this weekend...very powerful.
I wasn't sure what movie that was and then I saw the trailer. It looks good. I will put it on my list. I have Parasite and 1917 on my list.
Both very good.
1917 is a must see, big screen.

Parasite was disturbingly powerful.

Just Mercy is first rate history, true story.
Tremendous acting, very powerful reminder of where we've been, where we still are in some ways.
Events take place in late '80's, much in 1993, year my son was born, which seems like yesterday.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:02 pm Saw Just Mercy this weekend...very powerful.
I wasn't sure what movie that was and then I saw the trailer. It looks good. I will put it on my list. I have Parasite and 1917 on my list.
Both very good.
1917 is a must see, big screen.

Parasite was disturbingly powerful.

Just Mercy is first rate history, true story.
Tremendous acting, very powerful reminder of where we've been, where we still are in some ways.
Events take place in late '80's, much in 1993, year my son was born, which seems like yesterday.
Thanks. Really many things are not that long ago..... I tried to watch the movie Detroit. It was just too much to take and I could not stomach it. I plan to finish it. A Katherine Bigelow film. I lived there that year and we moved away 6 to 9 months before that riot. My life was actually saved in Detroit when I was two years old. Had we lived anywhere else, I would not be here. Anyway, my buddies still remember the riots in Baltimore and having domestics stay with them instead of on the other side of town..... too many people want to assume it was a long time ago and its all good now. Many folks have been disadvantaged for over 400 years with state and local governments working against them and in a short 40 or so year time frame all is good. It may take another 100 years. I had the good fortune to meet my great grandfather and have a few memories but my older cousins have more recall. He was born in 1876 and died in 1970. I remember going into his change jar and using buffalo head nickels and mercury dimes to buy popsicles at the store!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I remember going into his change jar and using buffalo head nickels and mercury dimes to buy popsicles at the store!

I did the same in those days! If you found a nickel or dime on the streets, you could walk into any candy store and walk off with a hand full of candies ~ enough to last most kids for one week.

Too bad today's generation will never know what it's like to do that.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Matnum PI wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:15 pm
Yeah, that's the one. Another great Scandinavian flick is Stranger in Paradise. There are several layers to this one as it has this meta- thing going on, but the title seems to have different connotations throughout the film and through different perspectives. The acting is absolutely incredible.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0bLceA0T14[/youtube]

How the heck do I embed video into a post?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

change your:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0bLceA0T14[/youtube]

to:

[youtube*]w0bLceA0T14[/youtube*]

[I added the asterisks after youtube so the page didn't actually embed the post. i.e. don't put asterisks.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
johnnyonthegunpowder

Yep, that's it. Thanks Matnum!

Under the Silver Lake was really interesting. At first I thought it looked stupid and obvious, but I pulled the trigger after hearing a particular recommndation. It was very good. Weird and off, but it was sincere in whatever it was searching for and I liked that. It's a lot like watching David Lynch for the first time, but a bit more cohesive. I appreciate when I completely misjudge a movie, and I was wrong about this one; it's definitely worth watching.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

The Lighthouse

the good news: beautiful to look at and listen to

the bad news: characters with no redeeming factors to the point of lost interest, gratuitous and weird sexuality that distracted, Dafoe and Pattinson are fine actors but I felt they were wasted on this one, too bad, it could have been great

If anyone else saw it would love to hear your opinion
Last edited by tech37 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Lighthouse: Agreed. I found it hard to stay interested but not because the characters were unlike-able or gross or otherwise. Because the screenplay was less-than-perfect. The Egger brothers used lots of archetypal themes and imagery and.... It's not a great screenplay. That's the downside. the upside is that the cinemotagraphy is excellent and the acting was great. But, for me, the screenplay is like a battery in a laptop. Without a good screenplay, I struggle.

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:26 pmUnder the Silver Lake was really interesting... and I was wrong about this one; it's definitely worth watching.
Just picked it up from the library. I'll be back...
Caddy Day
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:15 pm Lighthouse: Agreed. I found it hard to stay interested but not because the characters were unlike-able or gross or otherwise. Because the screenplay was less-than-perfect. The Egger brothers used lots of archetypal themes and imagery and.... It's not a great screenplay. That's the downside. the upside is that the cinemotagraphy is excellent and the acting was great. But, for me, the screenplay is like a battery in a laptop. Without a good screenplay, I struggle.

Good post matnum. Yes, could well be the screen play or lack-there-of since I found myself asking...what's the point of this?

For cinematic artistry though, as mentioned, beautiful
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I think The Eggers Brothers thought, There are two, so-to-speak, lost men who live in a lighthouse (lighthouse, get it, lighthouse) who are discussing sea myths and fables and... We can't miss! And there's a truth to this but... It doesn't work when the themes are forced. And it feels forced. I bet if they had a better writer rewrite the screenplay, it would've gotten real Oscar consideration. It's a good film. It's just that one piece...
Caddy Day
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:40 pm I think The Eggers Brothers thought, There are two, so-to-speak, lost men who live in a lighthouse (lighthouse, get it, lighthouse) who are discussing sea myths and fables and... We can't miss! And there's a truth to this but... It doesn't work when the themes are forced. And it feels forced. I bet if they had a better writer rewrite the screenplay, it would've gotten real Oscar consideration. It's a good film. It's just that one piece...
Interesting...I thought it was mostly about the Pattinson character's descent into madness. Perhaps I need to watch it again ;)
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Agreed. Madness is a central theme. What are myths and what is reality. etc. But, to me, this theme seemed more of a way to allow the viewer to suspend their disbelief than to actually explore this theme for real.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:26 pm Under the Silver Lake was really interesting.
Yup. Odd film. Lynch-ian. Thanks.
Caddy Day
johnnyonthegunpowder

tech37 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:50 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:40 pm I think The Eggers Brothers thought, There are two, so-to-speak, lost men who live in a lighthouse (lighthouse, get it, lighthouse) who are discussing sea myths and fables and... We can't miss! And there's a truth to this but... It doesn't work when the themes are forced. And it feels forced. I bet if they had a better writer rewrite the screenplay, it would've gotten real Oscar consideration. It's a good film. It's just that one piece...
Interesting...I thought it was mostly about the Pattinson character's descent into madness. Perhaps I need to watch it again ;)
Interesting, I'll have to check this out. I'll watch anything with Dafoe. "The Hunter" was a good one set in Tasmania a while back.
Typical Lax Dad

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:15 pm
Interesting, I'll have to check this out. I'll watch anything with Dafoe. "The Hunter" was a good one set in Tasmania a while back.
Did you see Wild at Heart?
johnnyonthegunpowder

I've never seen that one, but I really should. I arrived at Lynch through Mullholland Drive, but should take a deep dive into his older stuff.
Typical Lax Dad

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:41 pm I've never seen that one, but I really should. I arrived at Lynch through Mullholland Drive, but should take a deep dive into his older stuff.
Mullholland Drive is a masterpiece. I saw Wild at Heart years ago.... it was a trip.
old salt

Post by old salt »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:15 pm
Flight of the Intruder was the best, most authentic, modern Naval Aviation movie. Better than Top Gun.

Clear & Present Danger is the 2nd best Clancy movie (after Red October)

but my favorite Dafoe -- To Live & Die in LA
johnnyonthegunpowder

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:40 pm
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:41 pm I've never seen that one, but I really should. I arrived at Lynch through Mullholland Drive, but should take a deep dive into his older stuff.
Mullholland Drive is a masterpiece. I saw Wild at Heart years ago.... it was a trip.
Agree, Mullholland Drive is up there with Thin Red Line for all time favorite.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”