CORNELL 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: CORNELL 2025

Post by oldbartman »

From what I've heard, there was a ton of focus on the top 50-60 kids. Every coach focused on trying to get 2 or 3 of them. At this point, they're now looking at their "second list". I am a bit surprised that Cornell didn't have more success. It may be a case of waiting to find some late bloomers for the great majority of coaches now that the "elite" have made their verbal commitments. Though I expect Andy Shay is lurking in the background.....everywhere.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

No Canadians in the top 100 yet, either.
I haven't researched the 2026 recruits from up north as much as most years -- but so far no top, say, 50 that I've come across for this class.
Compare to the top xx Canadians from the last several years where you had Firth of course, Collison, Finlay Thomson, Brooks English, Silas Richmond.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:37 pm No Canadians in the top 100 yet, either.
I haven't researched the 2026 recruits from up north as much -- but so far no top, say, 50 that I've come across for this class.
Compare to the top xx Canadians from the last several years where you had Firth of course, Collison, Finlay Thomson, Brooks English, Silas Richmond.
Literally IL's top ranked attackman is Canadian — Cooper Brozek, he went to St. Mike's before transferring to Deerfield

Lawrenceville middies Ponting and Morgan are also Canadian. Top 100 LSM Chase Smith is Canadian
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:44 pm
10stone5 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:37 pm No Canadians in the top 100 yet, either.
I haven't researched the 2026 recruits from up north as much -- but so far no top, say, 50 that I've come across for this class.
Literally IL's top ranked attackman is Canadian — Cooper Brozek, he went to St. Mike's before transferring to Deerfield

Lawrenceville middies Ponting and Morgan are also Canadian. Top 100 LSM Chase Smith is Canadian
Yeah - sorry.

Like I said I haven't researched the Canadians as much nor tracked any of those guys - I tend to follow the box players, not those that play for American preps - Hill Academy.

Really, was making a point that in past years Canadians entered the IL lexicon later, Firth, Collison, than those playing at American publics and preps, those imported to Lawrenceville, Culver, Western -
so still time for Cornell to grab one of these late arrivals.
CHRLAX

Post by CHRLAX »

Afraid the competition is closing in. Michigan academically is an equal and now making tournament appearances regularly and has top facilities and schollies. Harvard making a push and they are Harvard, Princeton and Yale always there... now Dartmouth luring top recruits.... ughhh.. ND academically not much different and they have great facilities and winning the natty now and schollies...although there is more talent now than ever and still not enough seats...maybe outside of 5 stars you just wait..Not sure Cornell can get 5 stars. I dunno fingers crossed.
another fan

Post by another fan »

It is concerning and surprising for a number of reasons-- excellent school, excellent young coaches who are also good recruiters, fine team with an exciting style of play, great tradition, etc. etc. Yes there are still very good players out there and we have gotten hidden gems in the past. There are also late bloomers and occasional school flips, but I thought we were beyond these consolations and were more of a target school now. We have talked at length about the flaws in the various ratings systems, too, but they still have value.

I do get some comfort looking back at last year's freshmen, though. The most impactful were Gilmartin, Goldstein and Firth, all of whom started out with zero stars from IL, but rose in later iterations. Firth actually rose to 5* and top 10 status, while the other two eventually got 4*. Hopefully, we will start seeing some additional recruits who will have success in the next two years on the field and be strong additions to the team.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”