TAATS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: TAATS

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:56 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:48 am Cool, you I understand, you're super far left...except when it comes to Trump...he hates Obama too.

But for others, I think we all need to remember that our economy was at an existentially bad place...largely due to deregulation of the banking system and the complete lack of regulation of shadow banking, with (unfortunately) the inevitable rise in massive fraud...by consumers, mortgage brokers, resellers, traders, credit reporting agencies...which led to an instability that was sweeping up the honest along with the corrupt.

The system needed rescue. Fast. Non-partisan.

We can criticize all sorts of decisions along the way (and I would), but what I think we need to recognize today is that we're right back on the path to instability, with more concentration in the system, less access to small business, and easy money to the large. And we're ignoring it; instead we're whining about immigrants who are fleeing total destitution and violence.
which is what supports the TAATS narrative - because NOTHING changed! There were (and are) a lot more corrupt than honest. And probably twice as many inept - who were playing with financial tools they did not begin to understand, but nobody in charge (of the corporations or at the gov) cared because it wasn't their money at risk - they had all upside and no downside....
I dunno about: There were (and are) a lot more corrupt than honest...

A lot of corrupt folks, for sure, from consumers knowing they were inputting false income information, to the brokers who encouraged them or did it for them, to the people at the top who incentivized this behavior and counted their money, and on and on.

But more than honest? Don't think so.
More should have gone to jail, though, as there really were corrupt people involved, real fraud.

I do agree as to "inept" or perhaps "lazy" intellectually. But there were darn few folks who actually understood what was happening and its risks; it's a ton easier to see it with 20:20 hindsight. An awful lot of smart folks missed it.

Of course, this is human nature. Focus on the immediate, grab what you can while you can, and someone else can take care of the big picture. But when those in such power are dependent upon the $ from the industries that need to be regulated, we get the sort of cutting of regulations and of lack of enforcement of the remaining...until we go off the cliff.

I do agree with the TAATS point. Folks were super eager to make and keep as much money as possible, while the getting was good, too busy to worry about the risks. We're seeing that again with the current deregulation and hyper-juicing of the economy.

Those in a position of power and knowledge are too busy enjoying the ride, those in such positions are not taking nearly seriously enough the risk of the next cliff.

Big tax break for the wealthy and for corporations. Easy money at the Fed, politically threaten Fed independence. Deregulation across the board, deep cuts in enforcement staff.

Political sop for GOP: Big increases in defense spending, especially in GOP districts. Political sop for the Dems: promise of Infrastructure bill.

No meaningful attention to healthcare costs, no meaningful attention to education, no attention at all to entitlement spending.

Instead, distract the low information voter with "immigrant invasion'. Trade war. Oops, trade war hurts farmers, emergency funding for farmers.

Meanwhile, those in the private sector are grabbing as much as they can as fast as they can...which is what they are incentivized to do.

Cliff is coming. It's not too late to adjust and prevent, but the current path appears to be accelerating.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:47 am
HooDat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:56 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:48 am Cool, you I understand, you're super far left...except when it comes to Trump...he hates Obama too.

But for others, I think we all need to remember that our economy was at an existentially bad place...largely due to deregulation of the banking system and the complete lack of regulation of shadow banking, with (unfortunately) the inevitable rise in massive fraud...by consumers, mortgage brokers, resellers, traders, credit reporting agencies...which led to an instability that was sweeping up the honest along with the corrupt.

The system needed rescue. Fast. Non-partisan.

We can criticize all sorts of decisions along the way (and I would), but what I think we need to recognize today is that we're right back on the path to instability, with more concentration in the system, less access to small business, and easy money to the large. And we're ignoring it; instead we're whining about immigrants who are fleeing total destitution and violence.
which is what supports the TAATS narrative - because NOTHING changed! There were (and are) a lot more corrupt than honest. And probably twice as many inept - who were playing with financial tools they did not begin to understand, but nobody in charge (of the corporations or at the gov) cared because it wasn't their money at risk - they had all upside and no downside....
I dunno about: There were (and are) a lot more corrupt than honest...

A lot of corrupt folks, for sure, from consumers knowing they were inputting false income information, to the brokers who encouraged them or did it for them, to the people at the top who incentivized this behavior and counted their money, and on and on.

But more than honest? Don't think so.
More should have gone to jail, though, as there really were corrupt people involved, real fraud.

I do agree as to "inept" or perhaps "lazy" intellectually. But there were darn few folks who actually understood what was happening and its risks; it's a ton easier to see it with 20:20 hindsight. An awful lot of smart folks missed it.

Of course, this is human nature. Focus on the immediate, grab what you can while you can, and someone else can take care of the big picture. But when those in such power are dependent upon the $ from the industries that need to be regulated, we get the sort of cutting of regulations and of lack of enforcement of the remaining...until we go off the cliff.

I do agree with the TAATS point. Folks were super eager to make and keep as much money as possible, while the getting was good, too busy to worry about the risks. We're seeing that again with the current deregulation and hyper-juicing of the economy.

Those in a position of power and knowledge are too busy enjoying the ride, those in such positions are not taking nearly seriously enough the risk of the next cliff.

Big tax break for the wealthy and for corporations. Easy money at the Fed, politically threaten Fed independence. Deregulation across the board, deep cuts in enforcement staff.

Political sop for GOP: Big increases in defense spending, especially in GOP districts. Political sop for the Dems: promise of Infrastructure bill.

No meaningful attention to healthcare costs, no meaningful attention to education, no attention at all to entitlement spending.

Instead, distract the low information voter with "immigrant invasion'. Trade war. Oops, trade war hurts farmers, emergency funding for farmers.

Meanwhile, those in the private sector are grabbing as much as they can as fast as they can...which is what they are incentivized to do.

Cliff is coming. It's not too late to adjust and prevent, but the current path appears to be accelerating.
It is a system that is not sustainable.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:47 am Folks were super eager to make and keep as much money as possible, while the getting was good, too busy to worry about the risks.
don't know about you, but that fits my definition of corrupt....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:47 am Folks were super eager to make and keep as much money as possible, while the getting was good, too busy to worry about the risks.
don't know about you, but that fits my definition of corrupt....
well, to the extent that there's an awareness. Not so sure I'd call folks just doing their darnedest to compete and win 'corrupt', though there's surely some overlap.

But, hey, lots of folks working hard at their own self-interest is what drives capitalism. But it's also why capitalism needs to be regulated.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The full 20 20 hindsight still hasn’t been achieved. So many threads and contributing causes. A couple you don’t hear enough about is the failure of the financial system and the failure all around to understand the risk that was in the system.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Wall Street is full of the equivalent of 5 year olds playing with chain saws.

These are generalizations - but over the course of my career I saw more of this than not:

The folks who are capable of understanding the financial tools they are playing with, on average, don't care about the risks/consequences - they judge risk on YTD (yield to departure)

The folks who "manage" the "rainmakers" understand just enough to be dangerous and are being pressured to keep up with the Jones's

The people who manage them (the top level execs) understand that they are playing with a safety net and that they get fired if they don't keep up when the bubbles are inflating and can deflect to the herd mentality (it was the market's fault and "no one saw it coming") when the $h!t his the fan...

The folks who regulate them - well if they COULD, they would, but they can't so they regulate.....

and don't get me started on the ratings agencies......

OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Not to mention the regulators who cut deals or built relationships in ofer to move from the regulatory side to the execution side.

Remember when Greenspan spoke of the great moderation? Or how the new financial innovations removed risk from the system when in fact they geometrically increased it?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

HooDat wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:49 am Wall Street is full of the equivalent of 5 year olds playing with chain saws.

These are generalizations - but over the course of my career I saw more of this than not:

The folks who are capable of understanding the financial tools they are playing with, on average, don't care about the risks/consequences - they judge risk on YTD (yield to departure)

The folks who "manage" the "rainmakers" understand just enough to be dangerous and are being pressured to keep up with the Jones's

The people who manage them (the top level execs) understand that they are playing with a safety net and that they get fired if they don't keep up when the bubbles are inflating and can deflect to the herd mentality (it was the market's fault and "no one saw it coming") when the $h!t his the fan...

The folks who regulate them - well if they COULD, they would, but they can't so they regulate.....

and don't get me started on the ratings agencies......
Agreed. As a life long professional in the financial services industry I have gone 180 degrees on my views. They really truly don't care about anything but their respective stock prices and net worth. This all came about when Goldman went public. They are fine taking insane risks with shareholder money vs but not partner money....they have no issue jamming their crap derivative products down their clients throats.

Of course they are all Ivy league educated geniuses - Long Term Capital Management was the poster child for the "beat-the-market-black-box-models", until it failed in reality. That is what you get when they don't look at what or ignore what happens when risk gets out to the 3rd standard deviation.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

foreverlax wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:32 am This all came about when Goldman went public.
^^^^ YUP!!

OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Under the models Sept 2008 was impossible.

LTCM’s model has a Russian problem :)
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Decades ago, I knew a director that has his associates/analysts develop a monte carlo simulation based model that was "bullet proof". It has so many variables that unless you assigned 99% correlation across all variables, you could not come out with negative results no matter how hard you pushed on the assumptions. Every strategy that his group proposed was approved... virtually all of them exploded within 2 years ... :ugeek: :?

OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Thanks for that.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

What a great tennis match.
nothingness.
Last edited by runrussellrun on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:57 am What a great tennis match.

Anyway:

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2018/0 ... onprofits/

Trump’s hardline approach to illegal immigration is a boon for private prisons and security companies.
In 2016, the Department of Justice under the Obama administration began phasing out for-profit prisons for federal inmates following a DOJ report that found poor management practices at one private facility contributed to an inmate riot that killed a prison guard in 2012.

Billions to be made off of illegals. Anyone remember all the news coverage about the prison riot? yeah, me neither.

Obama had EIGHT years to stop the private prison boondoogle.......instead, his useless EXEC action was nothing more than showboating nothingness.
You ok with WAATS now? It is a great match.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Sheesh. Did Trump post something here?
a fan

Post by a fan »

OCanada wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:35 pm A couple you don’t hear enough about is the failure of the financial system and the failure all around to understand the risk that was in the system.
Two failures that led to it all. Well, three.

1. Wall St. convinced itself that derivatives lowered risk. So they thought they found a way to increase profits with less risk.

2. Wall St. convinced itself that increasing liquidity is always good. They didn't get that too much liquidity increases risk for all parties in the marketplace.

3. Hubris. As old as the spoken word.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

t matters.
Last edited by runrussellrun on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hmmmmi read the article. It clearly states Obama was phasing our for profit prisons etc because of conditions within them. It also gives dollars, corporations and ties to prominent republicans.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

blues clues.......left or right
Last edited by runrussellrun on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Mments. Hmmmm, why is that?
Last edited by runrussellrun on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”