Syracuse 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
tech37

Re: Syracuse 2019

Post by tech37 »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:02 am Never a question about what Army will bring, always a tough team that will bring it for sixty minutes. The Cuse team that showed up yesterday has to show up for that one. It's still February, lot of lacrosse left to play, but you've sure got more hope now than you did a week ago.
Right dmac. I was/am slow to give too much credit too soon based on beating a depleted and rather one dimensional Albany team as compared to the 2018 final-four Dane squad. Army coming in with wins over tough UMass and Rutgers was/is a much more accurate barometer in my mind as to where this Cuse team is headed.

Now they'll face easily the best offensive threat so far this year in the Hoos. SU D middies are going to be busy. Moore killed Cuse in ACC Tourney last year and of course there's Aitken and Conrad... I haven't watched UVa closely enough to know who their QB is on attack (molo can help there) but Mellen no doubt will be called on to cover him. Sniper Kraus will need to be covered like a blanket, and Laviano is always tough to stop. Match up issues for sure for the close D.

BTW: I really like Porter too...he reminds me of old favorite Jay Pfeifer.
molo

Post by molo »

The qb issue is one I have raised, I guess on the UVA forum under my old dog's name. Now that Moore has been permanently moved to attack, in settled offense he is playing a lot on the wing. Lehigh and HP both threw a good deal of zone at them, and the response has been a 1-4-1 with Aitken generally up top and a middie at X with Moore and Kraus on the right and left handers' shooting wings. Laviano and a middie, often Conrad when he is in, are inside in the 1-4. Kraus, maybe because of the lingering effects of an injury, is not carrying as much as last year, when he was often behind in a double lefty set. Herring, a natural attackman, plays at X when his midfield is in, while Conner, a freshman, has been playing behind when his midfield is in. Herring is a good distributer against shorties. Conner, like Moore and Conrad before him, is a highly regarded middie recruit who is more of a dodging threat than Herring. Lars has sometimes used a four-man offensive middie rotation, but more recently, he has run two balanced midfields, then mixing them to create a power unit at times. The usual first midfield most recently has been Aitken, Conner, and another freshman, 12. The second has been Conrad, Herring, and Quinn, the crunch time unit Conrad, Aitken, and Conner. Conrad takes most face-off wings and occasionally yields to number 13, Harris.
Lamb, 40, started on the first midfield against Princeton but didn't run with them the rest of the game.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

good info molo...thanks
molo

Post by molo »

Face-offs should be interesting. Army couldn't buy a face-off Sunday. UVA struggled early, but the freshman, who is now taking the majority of draws, improved as the game went on. Generally, I'd give an edge in wing play to UVA, where Conrad takes most of the shorty wings and Connors, backed up by Rock, is the pole. They didn't perform as well against Princeton as expected. Meanwhile, Dearth, the ssdm, and Kennedy, the pole, are a formidable combination for SU.
The good news for SU is that Murphy, normally a pole, played well in the place of the injured Bomberry. The bad news is that if he has to drop down to close d again Saturday, the resultant thinness at lsm may be more of a factor than it was against Army.
Saustad, a freshman from Texas, played Sowers, who got his full share of points. While SU doesn't have a Sowers, Spencer, or Nolting, they have three proven attackmen in Voight, the lefty shooter, Solomon, whom UVA knows well, and Rehfuss, last year's leading scorer who is due for a big game. In addition, Cook, the CNY product, may end up being the best of all. He's seen time as both a fourth attackman and second middie. Close d has been a UVA concern, and this foursome can create problems for any d.
Buttermore led the SU second midfield with two or three points against Army. When the first is on the field, whom does UVA pole--Curry or Trimboli? Connors is UVA's best defenseman, and they use five dms pretty interchangeably. If Conrad, who played dm on all even and emd last year, gets stuck in on d, which can happen because he is in on most face-offs, he is probably as good or better than the guys who play d exclusively.
Now that Moore is a fullltime attackman, UVA needs another middie to emerge as a scoring threat. Conrad is usually a better athlete than whoever covers him but has been getting just a point or two a game. Herring, a natural attackman, distributes the ball well but isn't likely to overpower his man. Conner, who has played more recently, is the third man when they go to their best midfield group. I am assuming Kennedy will draw Atken and that Dearth will see a lot of Conrad.
Ryan Powell, by far my favorite color commentator because he talks about how to play lacrosse, has pointed out some concerns about SU's shooting accuracy. If Burkinshaw, who has supplanted the incumbent Rode, can make a couple of big saves early, will SU's shooters adjust? Inaccurate shooting has plagued the visitors. Laviano, who had four goals against Princeton, has begun to finish inside more effectively.
Records make this one a tough call. SU was upset by Gate in the Dome, but they trounced Albany and defeated a tough Army West Point team in a defensive struggle. Loyola demolished UVA in a game where the most glaring stat was the save differential although UVA's poor shooting and porous d may have had a large influence on the number of saves. Further, UVA has addressed that concern by replacing the sophomore with last year's number one goalie recruit. Was the win over Lehigh fool's gold? Maybe, but Lehigh almost beat Cornell. The HP "upset" was a case of a good team outplaying another good team. Plenty of UVA faithful disagree with me, but I think the Princeton win was a solid victory over a good team.
It's hard to pick against SU in the Dome. If UVA can hold the Cuse to 13 or 14 and they can get offensive production from the big four plus someone else, they can win. I think Loyola is a notch above both these teams right now, but I think Army, HP, and Princeton are essentially peer teams at this stage with SU and UVA. Will the goalie from IMG be the difference maker?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

UVA- Cuse always a exciting game.. Too early to predict a score but both teams likely scoring in double digits . Neither team is playing up to full capabilities yet despite their rankings . UVA has several serious talents on offense so edge there while Syracuse likely enjoys edge on D given recent games. Cuse has the depth to run up and down with Va. Waiting on Refhus and Trimboli to go off soon so hopefully happens this weekend for at least one. Phaup has had hot hand but fogo matchups always so quirky so Varello could be key in this game, think he split with Schenk last year, when Varello faces off wing play becomes even more important and Conrad is one of the best. Him missing last year was terrible blow to UVA, lax fans glad he's back .NCAA should have granted him another year. Cuse D has played well in front of Porter but he certainly has made a huge difference so far to them as well. Bomberry may return to start but close d might have problems with that quickness as Mellen is really the only cd that can matches up well.. Cuse could drop Kennedy down with Fusco taking Aiken or grab Helmer from ssdm if Murphy returns to that group. Not sure its worth it though because lose much of what is gained in other ways.., Will be one of the games to watch this weekend, call it and flip a coin.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Am not liking the feel of the Virginia game tomorrow, it's Va's turn to win it.
Have lost track of the series but it's crazy close. Think it's 18-17 Cuse with
a score of 430-431. Cuse won it last year by one....uh oh.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:01 pm Am not liking the feel of the Virginia game tomorrow, it's Va's turn to win it.
Have lost track of the series but it's crazy close. Think it's 18-17 Cuse with
a score of 430-431. Cuse won it last year by one....uh oh.
UVA has 3 AA in Aiken, Krauss and Conrad as well as two on the way in Moore and Laviano. Concentrate on first three and the others will scorch you. ...Cuse O gotta produce double digits because this game is not gonna be in single digits
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Conrad’s plays on FO

I saw one when it happened and surprised Q didn’t comment
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:05 am Conrad’s plays on FO

Many players "get away with" one or more. Live with it.

'
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DMac

Post by DMac »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:05 am Conrad’s plays on FO

Yup, lot of fans in the stands saw it and were surprised there was no flag thrown on the play too.
Refs drew a couple of long boos (not on that play) seemed as if they were, or weren't, seeing a few
things the way a whole lot of fans in the stands were.
The Dr is handing out "Live with it" prescriptions in a couple of different locations and of course, that's the cure. On to the next one.
Hopefully in the next one Cuse'll have three attackmen who will run, ride, hustle, and be in the ball game.
That'd make a big difference. We'll see what happens.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Ref calls should never impact outcomes but Cuse also made some mental mistakes . Krauss 1q goal at buzzer was preventable, Laviano also scores at buzzer on ball watch. Cuse D played well for most part but fighting off 9 ego's its exhausting and UVA simply made some plays , gotta question why Mellen or Kennedy not on Krauss. Positives are there with Trimboli becoming more assertive and Voigt and Curry continuing to shine. Hopefully Refhus 2h scores get him going

Gotta put loss behind them and quickly refocus on JHU game. Easier said than done but they are not beating Blue Jays if they dont have the same energy of last few games.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Just a few observations from what I've seen so far this season...

Trimboli must've heard Ryan Powell asking him to shoot high to low (didn't I mention that last season?). Trimboli has nailed a few high to low shots in recent games. He has a beautiful shooting motion when he shoots overhand. He's been a bright spot so far I think.

Speaking of shooting, Lipka is shooting about 15% on the season. He needs to improve that to help the first line be more effective.

Buttermore looks great. He's playing better than Dordevic played last season. Maybe Dordevic would've been better than Buttermore is right now. It's too bad he got injured again.

I think Rehfuss actually looks better than last season, but was a little snake bit the first few games. I've said he needs to dodge to 5x5 and be able to get his own shot, and he did that a few times vs. UVA.

The offense is getting almost nothing out of Cook and Seebold. Are they not being aggressive enough? Seebold especially looks like he lacks confidence to dodge hard on a long stick.

The SSDMs looks much better than last season. Dearth, Helmer and Murphy have all looked solid. And what a change from the small SSDMs SU has had in the past, many of whom I liked. The current group is big and athletic. Murphy has really impressed me this season.

Was Cunningham on Kraus vs. UVA? And Mellen on Moore? That seems like it should've been switched.

I think Porter would've liked to have a couple of the Aitken goals back. Aitken shoots hard though. Did the one that Porter sat on cross the line? I haven't seen a good angle.

Syracuse doesn't set picks on offense. I suppose they have a good reason for this. I'm generally okay with how they play offense. However, I wonder if their defense suffers from not having to defend picks more often in practice.

This Syracuse team has good players all over the field. I really hope they put together some wins.
DMac

Post by DMac »

ohmilax34 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:18 pm Just a few observations from what I've seen so far this season...
We see things a little differently, ohmi, just two different opinions, not intended to be confrontational.

Trimboli must've heard Ryan Powell asking him to shoot high to low (didn't I mention that last season?). Trimboli has nailed a few high to low shots in recent games. He has a beautiful shooting motion when he shoots overhand. He's been a bright spot so far I think.
Trimboli has been doing little more than playing catch with goalies all year with a highly predictable and easily readable shot by any decent GK. I mentioned this much earlier on somewhere. I hope he did hear Ryan and adjusts his shooting. He has a nice shot but is better suited as one who receives a pass while cutting to the goal rather than trying to create himself...that is where his shot is highly predictable. I'm not with you on the bright spot there, he was better as a loose, gunslinging freshman. He's thinking too much now, IMO. Plenty of games left, we'll see what happens.

Speaking of shooting, Lipka is shooting about 15% on the season. He needs to improve that to help the first line be more effective.

Buttermore looks great. He's playing better than Dordevic played last season. Maybe Dordevic would've been better than Buttermore is right now. It's too bad he got injured again.
I wouldn't say he's playing better than Dordevic but the two would compliment one another beautifully, it really is a shame Dordevic is out. He's the spark and creator this team could really use. Buttermore is an outstanding player who caught my attention the first time he came on the field with a real hustle play (which I commented on at the time). He plays a very in tight game with his stick complemented by very quick wrists which allows him to shoot with little room, quickness, accuracy, and plenty of zip on his shot. He needs to be on the field for as many minutes as his stamina will allow him to play at top level.

I think Rehfuss actually looks better than last season, but was a little snake bit the first few games. I've said he needs to dodge to 5x5 and be able to get his own shot, and he did that a few times vs. UVA.
I don't think we could see this one any differently. I see a player who has two levels of effort, little to none. This is a very lazy player who will give you, at best, a half hearted effort on a ride, sprint to be the closest to the ball on a shot that misses the cage, and won't hustle or battle for a GB. I was once pretty high on him, but I'm not seeing that same player anymore. I feel as if he needs to light his intensity and desire fire, get than burning a whole lot hotter than it is now. He's contributed very little to this team to date. Plenty of games left to change that (I wouldn't put any money on it though).
The offense is getting almost nothing out of Cook and Seebold. Are they not being aggressive enough? Seebold especially looks like he lacks confidence to dodge hard on a long stick.
Agree here. Cook, I don't believe, is anywhere near the size he's listed as. You don't have to be a monster to be an attackman but you better have something to offset your size (lack of) if you're a diminutive one. So far I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he does, and Dmen can completely suffocate him and render him pretty much ineffective. I think he's probably pretty good but he's going to have to learn to adjust to D1 Dmen vs HS Dmen in order to be effective. Hope he can, I'm pulling for him.

The SSDMs looks much better than last season. Dearth, Helmer and Murphy have all looked solid. And what a change from the small SSDMs SU has had in the past, many of whom I liked. The current group is big and athletic. Murphy has really impressed me this season.
Agree across the board here, I've been very pleased with what I've seen with these guys.

Was Cunningham on Kraus vs. UVA? And Mellen on Moore? That seems like it should've been switched.

I think Porter would've liked to have a couple of the Aitken goals back. Aitken shoots hard though. Did the one that Porter sat on cross the line? I haven't seen a good angle.

Syracuse doesn't set picks on offense. I suppose they have a good reason for this. I'm generally okay with how they play offense. However, I wonder if their defense suffers from not having to defend picks more often in practice.
Maybe others won't agree but I've been impressed with Cuse's D all in all. Sure a few lapses here and there but across the board that's a pretty tough threesome to deal with when you're in that territory. I have all the confidence in the world when Bomberry and Mullen have the ball in their stick too, both are headsy players with the ball in their stick and are going to get it out of there.

This Syracuse team has good players all over the field. I really hope they put together some wins.
Agree.
My two cents worth.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:17 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:18 pm Just a few observations from what I've seen so far this season...
We see things a little differently, ohmi, just two different opinions, not intended to be confrontational.

Trimboli has been doing little more than playing catch with goalies all year with a highly predictable and easily readable shot by any decent GK. I mentioned this much earlier on somewhere. I hope he did hear Ryan and adjusts his shooting. He has a nice shot but is better suited as one who receives a pass while cutting to the goal rather than trying to create himself...that is where his shot is highly predictable. I'm not with you on the bright spot there, he was better as a loose, gunslinging freshman. He's thinking too much now, IMO. Plenty of games left, we'll see what happens.

I wouldn't say he's playing better than Dordevic but the two would compliment one another beautifully, it really is a shame Dordevic is out. He's the spark and creator this team could really use. Buttermore is an outstanding player who caught my attention the first time he came on the field with a real hustle play (which I commented on at the time). He plays a very in tight game with his stick complemented by very quick wrists which allows him to shoot with little room, quickness, accuracy, and plenty of zip on his shot. He needs to be on the field for as many minutes as his stamina will allow him to play at top level.

I don't think we could see this one any differently. I see a player who has two levels of effort, little to none. This is a very lazy player who will give you, at best, a half hearted effort on a ride, sprint to be the closest to the ball on a shot that misses the cage, and won't hustle or battle for a GB. I was once pretty high on him, but I'm not seeing that same player anymore. I feel as if he needs to light his intensity and desire fire, get than burning a whole lot hotter than it is now. He's contributed very little to this team to date. Plenty of games left to change that (I wouldn't put any money on it though).
Agree here. Cook, I don't believe, is anywhere near the size he's listed as. You don't have to be a monster to be an attackman but you better have something to offset your size (lack of) if you're a diminutive one. So far I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe he does, and Dmen can completely suffocate him and render him pretty much ineffective. I think he's probably pretty good but he's going to have to learn to adjust to D1 Dmen vs HS Dmen in order to be effective. Hope he can, I'm pulling for him.

Agree across the board here, I've been very pleased with what I've seen with these guys.

Maybe others won't agree but I've been impressed with Cuse's D all in all. Sure a few lapses here and there but across the board that's a pretty tough threesome to deal with when you're in that territory. I have all the confidence in the world when Bomberry and Mullen have the ball in their stick too, both are headsy players with the ball in their stick and are going to get it out of there.

Agree.
My two cents worth.
Thanks Dmac. It's worth more than $0.02. And though we disagree some, you presented your views very respectfully.

I'm gonna add some more thoughts below so it doesn't get too jumbled up above.

I think my view of Trimboli is skewed towards the goals he has scored of late. His shots that he has scored on were with an overhand shot to a low placement, which is exactly what he should be doing with some variation.

Buttermore is scoring 2 goals/game. He didn't play in one of the games this season. Dordevic scored 19 goals in 15 games last season. So far, Buttermore is more productive this season than Dordevic was last season. Buttermore's shooting percentage is incredible this season.

Regarding Rehfuss, I am looking at his offensive game and you're looking at his overall effort. Kinda Apples and oranges I think, although more fire on his dodges would probably benefit him.
DMac

Post by DMac »

ohmilax34 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:30 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:17 pm

Agree.
My two cents worth.
Thanks Dmac. It's worth more than $0.02. And though we disagree some, you presented your views very respectfully.

I'm gonna add some more thoughts below so it doesn't get too jumbled up above.

I think my view of Trimboli is skewed towards the goals he has scored of late. His shots that he has scored on were with an overhand shot to a low placement, which is exactly what he should be doing with some variation.
No disagreement. Trimboli needs to be a sneakier player (Solomon can be very sneaky), find open spots to pop open from, receive a pass and let that shot go. He'd be much more effective that way, IMO, it's just way too predictable when he tries to do too much by himself.

Buttermore is scoring 2 goals/game. He didn't play in one of the games this season. Dordevic scored 19 goals in 15 games last season. So far, Buttermore is more productive this season than Dordevic was last season. Buttermore's shooting percentage is incredible this season.
Dordavic brings a whole lot more to the field than just scoring though, he brings that spark (which is missing) like a Galasso or Mariano did....you can/could feel something was going to happen when they came on the field. I believe Buttermore's percentage is an indication of what I mentioned above. His shot comes from a hidden spot and unexpectedly (that in tight game he plays with his stick) and it comes at you very quickly.

Regarding Rehfuss, I am looking at his offensive game and you're looking at his overall effort. Kinda Apples and oranges I think, although more fire on his dodges would probably benefit him.
Greatly, and all over the field.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bought a lottery ticket today which is something I never do, felt like the kind of day you should buy one.
Park the car, head to the elevator, get there just as the doors are closing with one guy in there. He sees us, tries to hit the right button to stop the doors from closing but he can't find the right one, doors keep closing. My buddy gets his arm in the door just in time to keep them from closing, doors open back up and in we go, the three of us are heading up. Guy in the elevator pulls his wallet out and asks us if we're going to the game. Of course, we said of course. He pulls a couple of tickets out of his wallet, said a couple of folks who had planned on coming with him couldn't make it and asked us if we wanted the tickets. Again, we, of course, said, of course (tried to offer him a couple of bucks but he'd have no part of that and I'm pretty sure they were complimentary tickets that he didn't pay for to begin with). Thirty bucks in free tickets, pretty good start to the day. Save fifteen bucks on your ticket, kinda means you can buy two eight dollar beers which are really only costing you a buck (my math anyway). So we each buy a can of eight dollar beer but it's gone up to eight and a quarter. I hand the guy nine bucks and get no change back. If I'm going to get raped on the deal (absolute robbery) I at least want the Vaseline so I ask the guy, "Don't I get some change back here?". He reaches in his change pouch and gives me my three quarters and all is well. Go in and sit down down and I catch a glimpse of the guys behind us and it's one of those, I know these guys but sure can't remember how or from where deals. One of the guys says,"Hey, you're the guys who sat behind us the last time we were here, we're the Vermont boys." Same trio down for their annual trip to the Dome was glad to see them, not bothered by Family Phatazz this year either. Had a good laugh with the boys and they picked another good one to come to...they're welcome anytime, two fer two when those boys are there. Half time rolls around and Cuse is right in the game after a bit (lot) of a shaky start. Go back to Mr. Shortchangeya for another beer, give him my eight and quarter, and he hands me two beers, says, "Here, take these two." Ask him what the deal is, he says he's got an extra one he needs to get rid of (boy's feeling a little guilty for trying to hose me, no doubt). So the game and two beers comes to a grand total of sixteen fifty. Any time you're paying seventy five cents a beer (my math) in the Dome you're doing pretty darn good, must be your lucky day.
Now throw in the game and it's been a pretty good day. A very shaky start but Cuse regrouped and came on pretty darn strong. There was a lot to like, D tightened up and made that territory tough to tread in, Kennedy was his usual chaos creating self (kid is just fun to watch, balls to the wall) Bomberry made some really sweet plays and had that box influenced stick on display again, I'm good with him having the ball in his stick any time...Mellen and Kennedy too. O stepped up and started putting the ball in the cage. Enter Buttermore...kid should be playing attack. One of the current trio could sit on the bench while he's in there and I think it would help the team a lot. Like Buttermore's game, he needs to be on the field more.
Again, was quite a bit to like in this game, nice effort, FOGOs looked good, nice come back from a shaky start, nice finish. This really was a pretty big win, needed this one.
All in all it was a pretty good day, had buy a lotto ticket written all over it.
Wish me luck.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Kennedy played great...I would just add Jared Fernandez to that shout out as well. Luckily these two will be on the field together for a couple more years. Future midfield D and FO wing play looks bright.

Edit to add: By year-end Dearth may give Towson's Goodrich a run for best ssdm in land.
Last edited by tech37 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

tech37 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:16 am Kennedy played great...I would just add Jared Fernandez to that shout out as well.
+1, played an outstanding game.
Agree on Dearth as well, tech, good sized kid who is giving you what he's got and a good GB man to boot. Very sweet goal on the assist from Bomberry on the fast break...just buried like you should.

The former The Voice contestant gets an A on his National Anthem performance, worthy of a four chair turn.
Attendance 3,950....made some noise too.

Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhVEql05yIM
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Kennedy...the Usain Bolt of college lacrosse. That guy has some wheels!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”