Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Brown 2024

Post by Brownlax »

Laxnation wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:38 pm
middleAgedBear wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:21 pm So, kept it close then went up 2 with 1:30 in game and lost in OT…Brown looking like a team that may not win a game this season.
Harvard put up 23 goals against Providence!!! Brown has the worst offensive scheme in college lacrosse. I don't think they will win a game this year and if the university is serious about Lacrosse the coaching staff should be fired immediately. I went to the game today and wasted three hours of my life!
Man this sucks!
Laxnation

Post by Laxnation »

Very talented players on that team are being wasted because of an inept coaching staff. They literally have a D3 coaching staff! After 7 years Daly and company have a 43 and 43 record (ironically 43 is one of the players careers they are ruining). I remember the Lars Tiffany days very well and these coaches can't hold Lars jock strap. I have been lurking around here for years and needed to finally say something.

Make the D coordinator interim head coach and fire Daly and the OC asap! Give these boys and the alumni some hope!!!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

No changes midyear. End-of-year evaluation, which every program in every sport does whatever the record. There is now a pretty discernible history at Brown of 3-time national champion D3 coaches...

I guess the OOC schedule is now superfluous. I'm no expert on RPI but I don't see any victories that could overcome the 0-3 start, even winning the next 2. If I'm wrong, let me know. BTW, Quinnipiac beat Bryant😯
So, Ivy league tourney win or bust. To make the tourney: at Penn- Brown has done well v Penn in the regular season. Yale in Pvd- well, I suppose a repeat of '22 is possible. At Cornell- someone give me a reason for a win. Princeton in Pvd- I saw a vid from a few years ago of 'Nova players visiting Haven Bros the night before the game. Send vouchers to the Tigers for the tuna salad sandwich. Dartmouth in Pvd- history says W. At Harvard- Bears have lost close games to the Johnnies, time for a turn.

There you go! ILT, where the Bears all-time record is... uhh... 1-7-ish?
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

I would look at Brown athletics and their commitment to mlax before I put 100% on the coaching staff. Who has Brown really attracted to coach mlax. Alumn....why when those alumni leave do they not have a 'better pool" of applicants? Seems like a pattern in Rhode Island!! maybe more alumni need to step up and coach. It is working at Cornell....or maybe they have to open up wallets and budgets to attract someone other than what they have attracted. OR open up the wallets to keep Lars and Starsia in the past. "You reap what you sow"...or "you get what you are willing to pay for"...
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

laxrules wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:26 pm I would look at Brown athletics and their commitment to mlax before I put 100% on the coaching staff. Who has Brown really attracted to coach mlax. Alumn....why when those alumni leave do they not have a 'better pool" of applicants? Seems like a pattern in Rhode Island!! maybe more alumni need to step up and coach. It is working at Cornell....or maybe they have to open up wallets and budgets to attract someone other than what they have attracted. OR open up the wallets to keep Lars and Starsia in the past. "You reap what you sow"...or "you get what you are willing to pay for"...
When Lars left one of the Brown Alumni that was being mentioned was Jon Thompson and he did not even get an interview.

One of the really great lacrosse minds out there is Jamie Munro. He would be great running the offense.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I was just looking at our stats. This one is really telling. Out of our top 6 scorers, only one of them - Freshman Jackson Wolfram has a shooting percentage over .300

Team Shooting percentage is .222

I looked up some other teams:
Duke - .432
ND - .479
Cornell - .332
UMD - .312

The 50th ranked team is Bellarmine at .257
Laxnation

Post by Laxnation »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:17 pm I was just looking at our stats. This one is really telling. Out of our top 6 scorers, only one of them - Freshman Jackson Wolfram has a shooting percentage over .300

Team Shooting percentage is .222

I looked up some other teams:
Duke - .432
ND - .479
Cornell - .332
UMD - .312

The 50th ranked team is Bellarmine at .257
Brown has "know it all" coaches that have been running the same lame train wreck offense for years. They don't know how to coach to their players strengths and do not value fast ball movement. How many times over the years have we seen a pretty team goal by this team? Providence was by far the weakest team they will play all year and the offense couldn't barely score 11 goals against a terrible defense. I was at the Harvard vs Providence game and Harvard scored 24 goals and destroyed them. I didn't even think it was possible for Brown to lose this game. I don't blame #43 for taking a low percentage shots, I blame the coaches to allowing it and not giving him the coaching to succeed. Based on the offense I seen today, Brown is going to get massacred by Georgetown and Maryland. I thought this team was athletic but they looked weak and slow today.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

With the defined shot clock the Daly/Tufts (and it was more prevalent overall in D3) style offense Lars instituted at Brown isn't an outlier any more; no more shock-and-awe. If it still works, it's because of superior athletes and/or superior coaching. i.e. great faceoff great goaltending especially. Everyone sees it, everyone's prepared. Brown hasn't really pushed it since the clock rule because when it comes to it, they don't have superior athletes overall. Augavin was an exception, there are some others. Even Lars had to adjust at UVa because it didn't work as much against the talent pool UVa plays.

So there are comments here from people who I hope know more than me that Bruno has the talent to compete. That leaves coaching. If the talent is competitive that reflects well on the staff. Can the coaching adjust? A coaching change endangers the assumed for purpose of argument quality recruiting. So what can the current staff do to improve?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:54 am With the defined shot clock the Daly/Tufts (and it was more prevalent overall in D3) style offense Lars instituted at Brown isn't an outlier any more; no more shock-and-awe. If it still works, it's because of superior athletes and/or superior coaching. i.e. great faceoff great goaltending especially. Everyone sees it, everyone's prepared. Brown hasn't really pushed it since the clock rule because when it comes to it, they don't have superior athletes overall. Augavin was an exception, there are some others. Even Lars had to adjust at UVa because it didn't work as much against the talent pool UVa plays.

So there are comments here from people who I hope know more than me that Bruno has the talent to compete. That leaves coaching. If the talent is competitive that reflects well on the staff. Can the coaching adjust? A coaching change endangers the assumed for purpose of argument quality recruiting. So what can the current staff do to improve?
I told my UVA friends that Lars would not run that Brown style offense at UVA. Not a lot of talent in the offensive midfield back then gave an advantage to Brown by not subbing. I said there is no were AA midfielders are going to sit on the sidelines watching defensive middies and LSMs play offense.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:04 pm No changes midyear. End-of-year evaluation, which every program in every sport does whatever the record. There is now a pretty discernible history at Brown of 3-time national champion D3 coaches...

I guess the OOC schedule is now superfluous. I'm no expert on RPI but I don't see any victories that could overcome the 0-3 start, even winning the next 2. If I'm wrong, let me know. BTW, Quinnipiac beat Bryant😯
So, Ivy league tourney win or bust. To make the tourney: at Penn- Brown has done well v Penn in the regular season. Yale in Pvd- well, I suppose a repeat of '22 is possible. At Cornell- someone give me a reason for a win. Princeton in Pvd- I saw a vid from a few years ago of 'Nova players visiting Haven Bros the night before the game. Send vouchers to the Tigers for the tuna salad sandwich. Dartmouth in Pvd- history says W. At Harvard- Bears have lost close games to the Johnnies, time for a turn.

There you go! ILT, where the Bears all-time record is... uhh... 1-7-ish?
What you don’t like Scott Nelson.

Just goes to show there will never be another D Urick.

Is Scandine injured or just getting run? Figured he’d be a 2nd line mid or more year .
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:56 pm
laxrules wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:26 pm I would look at Brown athletics and their commitment to mlax before I put 100% on the coaching staff. Who has Brown really attracted to coach mlax. Alumn....why when those alumni leave do they not have a 'better pool" of applicants? Seems like a pattern in Rhode Island!! maybe more alumni need to step up and coach. It is working at Cornell....or maybe they have to open up wallets and budgets to attract someone other than what they have attracted. OR open up the wallets to keep Lars and Starsia in the past. "You reap what you sow"...or "you get what you are willing to pay for"...
When Lars left one of the Brown Alumni that was being mentioned was Jon Thompson and he did not even get an interview.

One of the really great lacrosse minds out there is Jamie Munro. He would be great running the offense.
Seremet if you can get past the kids having some social issues in Colorado Springs or Feifs if you can get Canadians in.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:32 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:54 am With the defined shot clock the Daly/Tufts (and it was more prevalent overall in D3) style offense Lars instituted at Brown isn't an outlier any more; no more shock-and-awe. If it still works, it's because of superior athletes and/or superior coaching. i.e. great faceoff great goaltending especially. Everyone sees it, everyone's prepared. Brown hasn't really pushed it since the clock rule because when it comes to it, they don't have superior athletes overall. Augavin was an exception, there are some others. Even Lars had to adjust at UVa because it didn't work as much against the talent pool UVa plays.

I told my UVA friends that Lars would not run that Brown style offense at UVA. Not a lot of talent in the offensive midfield back then gave an advantage to Brown by not subbing. I said there is no were AA midfielders are going to sit on the sidelines watching defensive middies and LSMs play offense.
One day some Uber kid with the right parental approach is going to choose to play LSM just to win a T. I can’t wait for that. It’ll be like how Chris Rock described Lebron James taking a slap shot in hockey way back when in standup.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:22 am
Is Scandine injured or just getting run? Figured he’d be a 2nd line mid or more year .
He got consistent run as Omid the first 2 games by my eye. Maybe as much field time as any non-2 way mid. Stats show him playing only the first 2. No shots, no assists, 1 TO, no CT.
On Saturday's feed I never checked the sideline, although I did note not seeing his number on the field.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:01 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:22 am
He got consistent run as Omid the first 2 games by my eye. Maybe as much field time as any non-2 way mid. Stats show him playing only the first 2. No shots, no assists, 1 TO, no CT.
On Saturday's feed I never checked the sideline, although I did note not seeing his number on the field.
Thanks used the IL box scores and couldn’t tell if he had played at all. Maybe not but feel like he could be one of those transfer random stories where he’s a 1st line contributor for two years. Guys like corsi or Sean Donnelly going to Drexel from Cuse get the press but these ones happen and can be fun. Figure you guys need to restock mid next two years as well so there’s be opportunity.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Hey maybe Saturday will be a trap/hangover game for the Hoyas! 8-)
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:25 am Hey maybe Saturday will be a trap/hangover game for the Hoyas! 8-)
That is not the craziest take ever. CT is due for a stand-on-his-head game and with the pace at which Georgetown plays, 2-3 bonus saves can make a big difference. Gtown is only averaging 10.5 goals per game. #43 had some buzzard's luck Saturday, hitting a few pipes. A couple of inches further inside and Brown wins that game. Also liked seeing Wolfram get some run against the Friars. That family was blessed with DNA that revs their engines at high RPM. The Brown FO unit is solid, while the Hoya's ace is apparently a little banged up. I would like to see more of a 50/50 rotation between #77 and #6 -- that can throw off the rhythm of opponents as well as preserve bodies for the long season ahead.

BTW, a $100 bet on Fanduel for Brown to win the natty would net you $15,000. Excellent value!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Watching this Dartmouth-Lehigh stream makes me feels better about Brown’s chances. Lots of dropped passes, stick-side high shots, failed clears and man up chances with zero shots, etc. Brown could beat either one of these squads.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:43 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:25 am Hey maybe Saturday will be a trap/hangover game for the Hoyas! 8-)
That is not the craziest take ever. CT is due for a stand-on-his-head game and with the pace at which Georgetown plays, 2-3 bonus saves can make a big difference. Gtown is only averaging 10.5 goals per game. #43 had some buzzard's luck Saturday, hitting a few pipes. A couple of inches further inside and Brown wins that game. Also liked seeing Wolfram get some run against the Friars. That family was blessed with DNA that revs their engines at high RPM. The Brown FO unit is solid, while the Hoya's ace is apparently a little banged up. I would like to see more of a 50/50 rotation between #77 and #6 -- that can throw off the rhythm of opponents as well as preserve bodies for the long season ahead.

BTW, a $100 bet on Fanduel for Brown to win the natty would net you $15,000. Excellent value!
Agreed, Brown can very likely pull off an upset or two this season but overall season looking iffy, not sure I'm in for the $100 bet. I'm sure the GT coaches are telling their players not to look past Brown, but having seen their first 3 games, it'd be hard not to expect an easy win...which is right where we want them! :-)
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

OK Bruno, let's continue the Friday night trend!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Well we're not giving up open shots from the crease...

Thinking Maryland D not going to have any sleepless nights this week.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”