Future of WLax Rules

D1 Womens Lacrosse
user1020

Re: Future of WLax Rules

Post by user1020 »

I feel like so many in the lacrosse community are supporting radical rule changes to try and entice outside support for lacrosse. They want to get the attention of athletes of other sports, but in doing so they might lose current supporters. I like the game how it is right now. Sure minor rule changes may help, but I don’t want to keep hearing radical rule changes brought up every year.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

cltlax wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:08 am
njbill wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:42 am Agree 100%. If I were an official, I would give the flopper one verbal warning (“the next flop/embellishment is a card”). Seems to me to fit squarely within the “unsportsmanlike conduct” rule. The flopper is trying to gain an unfair competitive advantage because they are trying to get at least a foul, and maybe a yellow card, assessed against their opponent. Bad bad bad. Wrong wrong wrong.
Unfortunately, it's taught (and rewarded) early. My daughters play against middle and high school teams where the dramatic head bob happens every time a girl gets breathed on. It would be comical if it didn't affect the game play.
In our middle school rec league, specific teams are well-known for their acting skills. The girl acts like she was shoved violently or hits the deck after the slightest contact (or even none at all), the whistle blows, and she immediately bounces to her feet to take her free position shot with a smile on her face.

Our older daughter is a defender who's been taught to play clean. It drives her nuts when defensive players draw fouls and cards due to dramatics, but the same officials totally ignore blatant charges and unsafe shots from offensive players. I'm 100% in favor of cleaning up the game, but the rules need to be enforced on both sides of the ball.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

user1020 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:11 am I feel like so many in the lacrosse community are supporting radical rule changes to try and entice outside support for lacrosse. They want to get the attention of athletes of other sports, but in doing so they might lose current supporters. I like the game how it is right now. Sure minor rule changes may help, but I don’t want to keep hearing radical rule changes brought up every year.
You may be right. I didn’t watch but cuse/bc put up 33 goals last night. Was the game not interesting? Did it need more spacing, less defense and more scoring? I just don’t understand the need to completely change the game and no one has provided one reason that seems compelling.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Has anyone else noticed that so many girls who get a YC now slowly walk off the field rather than jogging off? Seems like a tactic to slow the game down for the defense.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I have noticed that. My take is that it is a FU to the ref.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

njbill wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:39 pm I have noticed that. My take is that it is a FU to the ref.
Feels like an FU to the rest of us. Not a fan.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:26 pm Has anyone else noticed that so many girls who get a YC now slowly walk off the field rather than jogging off? Seems like a tactic to slow the game down for the defense.
Northwestern did this multiple times Saturday night. It was painful to watch. At one point, they were waiting to start play because the carded player was still deliberately walking off the field.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:31 pm
Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:26 pm Has anyone else noticed that so many girls who get a YC now slowly walk off the field rather than jogging off? Seems like a tactic to slow the game down for the defense.
Northwestern did this multiple times Saturday night. It was painful to watch. At one point, they were waiting to start play because the carded player was still deliberately walking off the field.
Yup. Really bad look. This may not be the intended message, but it conveys arrogance and disrespect.
Delax2118

Post by Delax2118 »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:56 pm [quote=LaxPundit07 post_id=456028 time=<a href="tel:1682299886">1682299886</a> user_id=1401]
[quote=Brownlax post_id=455896 time=<a href="tel:1682274383">1682274383</a> user_id=1819]
Has anyone else noticed that so many girls who get a YC now slowly walk off the field rather than jogging off? Seems like a tactic to slow the game down for the defense.
[/quote]
Yup. Really bad look. This may not be the intended message, but it conveys arrogance and disrespect.
[/quote]

For teams that have a man up/man down “unit”.. it simply allows them to get organized with the correct personnel
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

laxfan22 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:40 am
user1020 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:11 am I feel like so many in the lacrosse community are supporting radical rule changes to try and entice outside support for lacrosse. They want to get the attention of athletes of other sports, but in doing so they might lose current supporters. I like the game how it is right now. Sure minor rule changes may help, but I don’t want to keep hearing radical rule changes brought up every year.
You may be right. I didn’t watch but cuse/bc put up 33 goals last night. Was the game not interesting? Did it need more spacing, less defense and more scoring? I just don’t understand the need to completely change the game and no one has provided one reason that seems compelling.
One rule I’d like to see changed is the penalty for false starts. If a defender false starts why is the defending team allowed to put another player on that hash? Seems like that spot should be vacated by the defense.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:26 pm
laxfan22 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:40 am
One rule I’d like to see changed is the penalty for false starts. If a defender false starts why is the defending team allowed to put another player on that hash? Seems like that spot should be vacated by the defense.
Good rule change. There really is no benefit to the offense accept having two defensive players at the 12 m which is not enough of a penalty for false start.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Yup. Especially when the penalty on the attacking player is a loss of possession.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Delax2118 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:11 pm
Can Opener wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:56 pm [quote=LaxPundit07 post_id=456028 time=<a href="tel:1682299886">1682299886</a> user_id=1401]
[quote=Brownlax post_id=455896 time=<a href="tel:1682274383">1682274383</a> user_id=1819]
[/quote]

For teams that have a man up/man down “unit”.. it simply allows them to get organized with the correct personnel
[/quote]
In that case the official should call a delay of game penalty, which can be: “Any type of behavior that, in the official’s opinion, amounts to delay.”
njbill

Post by njbill »

I don’t think this cracks the top 100 of serious issues involving the game. Let’s deal with illegal cross checks, flopping/embellishment, and a whole host of other issues before we turn our attention to such an inane (means silly or stupid to those who don’t know) subject.

If a carded player walks off the field, it may or may not cause a delay since the officials have to go over to the table themselves to report the foul and then return to the playing field. The few times I’ve seen this happen, including in high school, I don’t think there has really been a delay of consequence. Maybe a couple of seconds?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

njbill wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:51 am I don’t think this cracks the top 100 of serious issues involving the game. Let’s deal with illegal cross checks, flopping/embellishment, and a whole host of other issues before we turn our attention to such an inane (means silly or stupid to those who don’t know) subject.

If a carded player walks off the field, it may or may not cause a delay since the officials have to go over to the table themselves to report the foul and then return to the playing field. The few times I’ve seen this happen, including in high school, I don’t think there has really been a delay of consequence. Maybe a couple of seconds?
If NJBILL says this is not an issue that we should be discussing, then let's just end the conversation. :D
njbill

Post by njbill »

Haha. No, people can discuss whatever they want.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

njbill wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:51 am I don’t think this cracks the top 100 of serious issues involving the game. Let’s deal with illegal cross checks, flopping/embellishment, and a whole host of other issues before we turn our attention to such an inane (means silly or stupid to those who don’t know) subject.

My apologies NJBill. I’m fairly new to posting. I was not aware you were anointed the rules committee chair and we were supposed to run our comments by you before posting.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Huh? I don’t see that you commented on this situation.

BTW, I agree with your 8m FP post.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

laxfan22 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:50 am I mean where are those clamoring for 8 man baseball teams, 10 aside football, 10 aside soccer? 4v4 basketball? We could score more in those sports too.
We never should have gone from 12 to 10 players on the men's side of lacrosse. Really ruined the game for me. :D
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:35 am
laxfan22 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:50 am I mean where are those clamoring for 8 man baseball teams, 10 aside football, 10 aside soccer? 4v4 basketball? We could score more in those sports too.
We never should have gone from 12 to 10 players on the men's side of lacrosse. Really ruined the game for me. :D
Sure, let's shrink the women's field and give them long poles. ;)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”