New England West-1 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
Dawgie

Re: New England West-1 2019

Post by Dawgie »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 am Any word on Loomis this year? Looks like they kick off tomorrow, hosting Rivers from the ISL. I have a little familiarity with Rivers. They tied for 5th place last season and return enough to contend for a title this year. All-league goalie, 5-6 solid poles, and a pretty athletic midfield. Replacing two starters up front, but otherwise an experienced and pretty deep team by ISL standards. Should be a good one.
I think loomis could surprise some teams this year. They return 5 of their 6 top scorers including a junior who put up 60 points last year and a sophomore who will be a top player in the league in the coming years. They also added a Quinnipiac PG fogo who will help in possession. Question mark at defense as they graduated 5 starters including goalie. They pulled out a 12-8 win against an always tough Rivers team earlier today.
ctlaxfan99

Post by ctlaxfan99 »

Dawgie wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:36 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 am Any word on Loomis this year? Looks like they kick off tomorrow, hosting Rivers from the ISL. I have a little familiarity with Rivers. They tied for 5th place last season and return enough to contend for a title this year. All-league goalie, 5-6 solid poles, and a pretty athletic midfield. Replacing two starters up front, but otherwise an experienced and pretty deep team by ISL standards. Should be a good one.
I think loomis could surprise some teams this year. They return 5 of their 6 top scorers including a junior who put up 60 points last year and a sophomore who will be a top player in the league in the coming years. They also added a Quinnipiac PG fogo who will help in possession. Question mark at defense as they graduated 5 starters including goalie. They pulled out a 12-8 win against an always tough Rivers team earlier today.
Loomis will have a very good year, maybe a great year. They've had a lot of potential during previous years however, they were always either weak in the goalie position or faceoffs (or both). As you mentioned they have some offensive players as good as anybody else in the league, young too. They beat Rivers yesterday (a team expected to compete for the ISL title this year) by a score of 12-8 yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised if Loomis makes a run at top 5 in NE-West I. They have a tough early schedule, so we will see how they take form during the next few weeks.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Nice way to start for the Pelicans. Nobles then Millbrook and they open up league play the following week at TP.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

Lol @ Deerfield. Decline is real.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Ah, that is a bit harsh. Deerfield is not the odds on league champ that they were for 10+ years but, welcome to 2019, Torrey Pines is really good! They would give most West-1 teams a game (i.e. win) though I think they would be pounded by Wick and Bury. The world has moved on, and that is a good thing.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

I don’t think Chip has forgotten how to coach. That roster just isn’t close to competitive.
QuickStick1

Post by QuickStick1 »

Loomis definitely has a chance to do something this year. The past couple years they have limited the amount of PGs they have taken to push through underclassmen lacrosse players through admissions to build the team from the ground up. Their offense should be able to hang with the typical powers of NE w1 this year. Defensively they have 1 really solid pole returning. In the net they have a sophomore who is typically a box goalie(played for the US world juniors indoor team), should be interesting to see how he does on the field. Face-off is a big question mark as far as I know but with the new shot clock rule this should be less of a problem(not sure if NE W1 is playing this rule or not).
Often times at Loomis, hockey players are a huge part of the team. In years past, 3-6 starters on Loomis were hockey-first kids that had some talent in lacrosse. Should be interesting to see what they can do this year. I will be at the Nobles game on Wednesday and can provide more color after.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Thanks for the additional information on Loomis. I have liked what their coach has done since he got there, although the last two years have been a bit disappointing. Hoping for better this year. As for the shot clock, unfortunately, they are not using that rule this year.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Good info, thanks for the post. It will be interesting and refreshing if a program can start being competitive by bringing in freshmen and "developing" them in house over a couple years. I hope they can and we see more of that. I certainly don't have an issue with teams consistently bringing in 1 or 2 PG's to compliment their roster, but some years the PG's and Jr/Sr. transfers get out of hand.
From what I've heard and read there will be no shot clock this year (but I might be wrong on that).
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:21 pm I don’t think Chip has forgotten how to coach. That roster just isn’t close to competitive.
I don't remember how many times I posted that schlepping a team full of kids across 3 time zones and playing a meaningful game is a disadvantage. TP is the real deal. If DA brought a team that hadn't played any meaningful games (really) out to Sandy Eggo County, played TP in their mid-season form, and put up 7, giving up only eleven, they're a top 1% team.

DA will do fine.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

3rdPP,

I totally agree. That Deerfield team was young this year and they got better as the season went on. They are older, but not old, and that was a tough task. First real game at the end of what was likely a week of tough practices out there. Chip always has his eye on the West-1 prize, he will have that team ready to go for sure next Saturday.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Justafan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:26 pm Anyone have any insights on how the scrimmages at Darien went today?

Salisbury vs Ridgewood was a tie I think before they put in their backups in the 4th quarter. Salisbury looked a little lathargic. I know it has been a long week for them, but thought they still would have looked a little better.

Lots of penalties and Ridgewood came in appearing to just wanting to hold the ball everytime they had it so the flow of the game was not good in general. Their scrimmage vs Darien this Wednesday should be a good last scrimmage before their first game against Georgetown prep next Sunday. Which is where we will really see where they are at.
It wouldn't surprise me if they drop the first 2 and then run the board until they get to Brunswick. Brunswick looking for payback in Greenwich is going to be a tall order. We shall see.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Link for Brunswick-Boys Latin tonight at 7

https://locallive.tv/archives/41230
MartletDadlet

Post by MartletDadlet »

Hot take: Latin +4
grelch

Post by grelch »

Nice start for Wick. 5-0 in the 1st.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

who's the lefty #14 on brunswick. kid's got a rip of a shot.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

6-0 Wick at half. Simply wonderful to live in a time where teams like this not only play OOC but I can watch it live! That said, this looks like an early season game, sloppy passes all around. Wick’s D looks pretty comfortable but need to come out hard in the second half.
MartletDadlet

Post by MartletDadlet »

MartletDadlet wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:28 pm Hot take: Latin +4
Oops
NEWestFan

Post by NEWestFan »

#14 is junior Cooper Moore. Arguably Wick's best player.

Off Lax commitment lists because he is highly ranked by NHL Central Scouting and (unfortunately) won't likely play College Lax.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

9-1, end of 3

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”