Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by 51percentcorn »

And the list is fantastic too
Uhhh Garrett - gald you stopped by - I know you scored 40 goals - the first person in 3 years to do it - and some might even put you into contention for HM AA - but pal you are part of the problem not the solution so even if you wanted to come back sorry
Scott Scott Scott my boy - 28 gbs and 18 caused turnovers and high AA potential - dude I am going to work the portal hard and be super aggressive so pretty confident you won't be able to hang
Jacob - you increase your points by over 50% and your shooting percentage by 12 points - can't see it - not a nucleus I want
Ryan - I know you were in a boat accident that almost cost you your life let alone your leg but that level of toughness getting us 6 goals just doesn't cut it
Brendan - cracked wrist - can't have that on my team
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:25 pm And the list is fantastic too
Uhhh Garrett - gald you stopped by - I know you scored 40 goals - the first person in 3 years to do it - and some might even put you into contention for HM AA - but pal you are part of the problem not the solution so even if you wanted to come back sorry
Scott Scott Scott my boy - 28 gbs and 18 caused turnovers and high AA potential - dude I am going to work the portal hard and be super aggressive so pretty confident you won't be able to hang
Jacob - you increase your points by over 50% and your shooting percentage by 12 points - can't see it - not a nucleus I want
Ryan - I know you were in a boat accident that almost cost you your life let alone your leg but that level of toughness getting us 6 goals just doesn't cut it
Brendan - cracked wrist - can't have that on my team
Don't forget Martin — sophomore SSDM wit 27 GBs, 11 CTs, 3 assists. He apparently is not part of anyone's winning core either. In 06's imaginary world there are SSDMs who grow on trees with twice those numbers who enter the transfer portal and also want to come to Hopkins. By the way, you want "connections" — Martin's younger brother is a 4-star LSM for St. Anthony's and if you kick older bro to the curb (obviously not happening, but for argument's sake) then you can kiss a top recruit goodbye. As usual, repercussions are not ever considered. It's just react react react, zero brainpower used.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:22 pm Our pal here says the staff needs to leverage their "diverse set of backgrounds and contacts" for transfers mere hours after he demeaned a D3 transfer as the "bff of the grad assistant"

This is one of countless examples of 06 complaining the staff is/isn't doing something to his liking and then complaining again when they do that very thing he wanted. This behavior dates back many years, to the prior coaching staff. Not sure if there's a textbook definition for it. Circular complaining?

Szuluk looks like a nice player. We don't know what Fernandez or Maher (if he comes back) can provide, hopefully something, we just haven't gotten the chance to see yet but who needs stuff like nuance and context. Kirson wasn't the 50%+ goalie we wanted but given the other guys couldn't beat him out it's probably a good thing they went out and got him because, yes, things could have been worse.
you play 15 games you're going to rack up stats win lose or otherwise. a big part of the issue for the defense was the fact they'd give up a goal or two or start to shut down a rival offense and then our offense would just blow possession after possession quarter after quarter. how many 3-4 goal runs were there this season from the offense? Everytime you looked up an epstein/grimes/connor was on defense because of turnover or terrible shooting which is why they blew up the lineup 1/2 through then blew up the changes and went back to the original kids at the end.

every team has injuries, but as I've said for years hopkins is supposed to have depth, kids who can seize opportunities or beat out other kids higher up the depth chart and that didn't happen on offense. chauvette, bauer, krampf, raposo, evans, mcdermott these were not kids that looked like they had the physical or athletic makeup for this level and so you ask what they were doing on the roster, and why there weren't kids with the size, athleticism and talent to fill those roles after two years.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:47 pm chauvette, bauer, krampf, raposo, evans, mcdermott these were not kids that looked like they had the physical or athletic makeup for this level and so you ask what they were doing on the roster, and why there weren't kids with the size, athleticism and talent to fill those roles after two years
Not as offensive as the infamous "failure to compartmentalize" a player's death but filled with as much hubris and lack of understanding - was Milliman supposed to stop by Olivander's wand shop and then get Snape as an assistant coach and conjure these kids out of thin air?
Homer

Post by Homer »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:47 pm every team has injuries, but as I've said for years hopkins is supposed to have depth,
What does this mean? "Supposed to" in what sense? If Hopkins at the moment doesn't have depth, do they owe you something for that? An apology? Something more?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

And let's get this straight - a guy takes over a team stocked with close to 60 guys - can't even meet them in person until close to 7 months after he takes over the team - and within a year he's supposed to identify that the entire team sucks and replace every player through the transfer portal? Is that what was supposed to happen? - because you named every offensive player that I can tell

here I'll remind you :
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:49 pm epstein/angelus/degnon/grimes/peshko/mcdermott/bauer/chauvette/evans/raposo/dunn/mcmanus/szulak/lilly/jaronski/martin/smith is not a winning core for 2023
Man did Milliman fall down on the job - Sag A is right - fire him
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:47 pm chauvette, bauer, krampf, raposo, evans, mcdermott these were not kids that looked like they had the physical or athletic makeup for this level
You wouldn't know the physical or athletic make-up of a lacrosse player if it bit you in the A$$
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I am not sure i understand. The Ivies shut down early over Covid and did not play last year. Many players were not on campus. Some how a lot of Ivies made the NCAAs and had freshmen perform well and had good recruits. Maybe their coaches had cars or zoom or tape or maybe all three.

GG has his first class coming in next year. On paper it is potentially a top top class and the one following looks very strong at this point. Both schools will struggle next year but it looks like one has a better trajectory than the other.

Hopkins has had coaching changes before. Scott>Chic>Zim>Haus>Semen>Petro>PM. Only one didn’t retain multiple highly regarded recruits from what I understand.

I can almost hear it it; after missing the tourney for four years. “But he couldn’t meet his players …..,”

I think its important to understand dynamics and why things happen bcs if you don’t know them you don’t understand what is really happening.

If you think i care about spelling.., form over substance.

I think PM deserves a chance with a window of 4-5 years. I think he wants to win. He is not off to a good start.

I don’t think the President gives a crap about national titles and playoffs and that is a huge handicap given previous Presidents have been all in snd contributors to the team’s success. It will hurt.

Knowing who the commits are every year is a reflection of knowing the team. Knowing only part of the story is like having one hand tied behind the back.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

It's a fair point about the Ivies - I do think the coaching change right in the middle of the pandemic is a pretty big extenuating circumstance. The coaches and the systems for the Ivies remained. Also, since the Ivies don't keep any redshirts and they lost some guys to the portal when they didn't play - freshmen - like Yale's trio - get to play right away. Yale has 6 seniors on the team and not that many more juniors. And finally, it's Yale/Harvard/Princeton etc. they are going to get good players if they want.

I'm also not sold on the Ivies to a degree - I am not one of the folks up in arms but if I am Notre Dame I look at Brown's schedule and say wait a minute - their OOC wins were Quinnipiac/Vermont/Villanova (by 1 goal)/Providence/Stony Brook/ and Bryant - they lost to UNC and UMASS. Yale's best OOC is either Denver or Villanova probably and they lost to Penn State. Harvard lost to Ohio State and beat NJIT/Michigan/Fairfield and their best OOC win is BU. Only Princeton and Penn were strong OOC. So there was some playing each other that helped all of them tremendously. Maybe there will be 4 Ivies in the Final Four - We'll see

And let me ask - Are you saying - What about the Ivies?

Your point about coaching changes is weak - You are really going to compare today to 1975 - Chic's first year? Hell, Petro took over 22 years ago. It's a different world.
OCanada wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:59 am I think its important to understand dynamics and why things happen bcs if you don’t know them you don’t understand what is really happening.
This is classic you - you're implying something but you won't say what it is and you hide behind "I know stuff you don't so I am more important and because I am so important I can't tell you- you just aren't worthy of my knowledge"
OCanada wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:59 am I don’t think the President gives a crap about national titles and playoffs and that is a huge handicap given previous Presidents have been all in snd contributors to the team’s success. It will hurt
I agree with the first part that he probably doesn't care - I've said that many times - it should be OK to have a civil disagreement in it's overall impact
OCanada wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:59 am Knowing who the commits are every year is a reflection of knowing the team. Knowing only part of the story is like having one hand tied behind the back.
I have no idea what information or opinion the first sentence is seeking to convey - more classic if you were only as smart as me and knew what I know
PS - here's one final point - all these freshmen that are scoring 20-30 or more goals for the Ivies - they started their high school junior year in 2019. So the vast vast majority of recruiting these players was done at Hopkins by guess who???? He's the one that got out -recruited. If only he had been more aggressive and worked harder.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Tue May 10, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

OCanada wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:59 am Hopkins has had coaching changes before. Scott>Chic>Zim>Haus>Semen>Petro>PM. Only one didn’t retain multiple highly regarded recruits from what I understand.
Because such a comparison is totally apples to apples. Only one of these coaching changes has happened in the modern era where its super common for decommits and recommits late in the process with coaches poaching and the sport being the largest it has ever been. Only one of these coaching changes has happened when the program is at an all time low point in terms of success. Every other coaching change there was coming into a team that had just made the playoffs, had probably been to a final four or even a championship game not too long before.

The program parted ways with Seamen because he couldn't seem to navigate a final four to win a championship, at the end of the Petro regime we were lucky to make the playoffs in a given year...
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

It looks like Denver's Alex Simmons, who played box lacrosse in Canada, has entered the transfer portal.
Homer

Post by Homer »

OCanada wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:59 am
Scott>Chic>Zim>Haus>Semen>Petro>PM.
We're exercising a lot of collective restraint in not saying anything about how when Petro came, his first job was cleaning up the mess made by Semen.

If I were Forum Czar, the past few hours of posting would've been nothing but variations on that theme.

(And yes, I know OC has misstated the actual sequence of coaches. At least, the publicly known sequence. There may have been dynamics we're not aware of. There usually are.)
dms87

Post by dms87 »

Prospective players want to understand what style of play and how they will fit into (or don't) that style as they decide on school. I hate that Hop has demonstrated very little desire to push transition offense. Most of us were taught to push transition, create odd man match up and execute. Always look for a window to push transition. No backlash for attempting to do so either, if it was within the concept of our game plan. Rutgers does this to the extremes. Maryland push it now too. Hop has to get to the 15 plus goal a game range. Players can see how they can fit into that scheme. Define the style of play for me on O for Hop? What are their core O philosophies? I think the style is clearly emerging on D. Once the O defines this, I think the right players will emerge more easily. Hop just needs that one game changer on O.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

For heaven’s sake … Tony Seaman was an excellent coach … spell his name correctly. :roll:

Coach Milliman deserves more time to move the program forward, and I’m confident he will get that time.

President Daniels will not tinker with the lacrosse program (he has much more important things to do) just because of win-loss records. He will likely not intervene unless the program gets some horrendous press or the alumni and donors raise enough stink that he cannot ignore it.

Milliman will be ok as long as he achieves a winning record next season. Don’t even think he needs to make the tournament to keep his job.

Having said that, if he leads Hopkins to a third consecutive losing season … well, it’s hard to imagine President Daniels not getting an earful about that.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

dms87 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:59 am Prospective players want to understand what style of play and how they will fit into (or don't) that style as they decide on school. I hate that Hop has demonstrated very little desire to push transition offense. Most of us were taught to push transition, create odd man match up and execute. Always look for a window to push transition. No backlash for attempting to do so either, if it was within the concept of our game plan. Rutgers does this to the extremes. Maryland push it now too. Hop has to get to the 15 plus goal a game range. Players can see how they can fit into that scheme. Define the style of play for me on O for Hop? What are their core O philosophies? I think the style is clearly emerging on D. Once the O defines this, I think the right players will emerge more easily. Hop just needs that one game changer on O.
Thus, Junior and Milliman’s efforts to shove square pegs into round holes on offense. It was sometimes painful to watch “legacy” players try and fit into Junior’s offense. It wasn’t the style of offense best tailored for the roster, but it (kinda) showed potential recruits what they wanted to achieve.

Koesterer did a very good job at installing a more aggressive defense (averaging 9 CTs/game at in one stretch of the season).

More transition O would be nice, but the Blue Jays were having trouble just clearing the ball most of the season.

It has not been a smooth transition on O the last two years.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

dms87 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:59 am Prospective players want to understand what style of play and how they will fit into (or don't) that style as they decide on school. I hate that Hop has demonstrated very little desire to push transition offense. Most of us were taught to push transition, create odd man match up and execute. Always look for a window to push transition. No backlash for attempting to do so either, if it was within the concept of our game plan. Rutgers does this to the extremes. Maryland push it now too. Hop has to get to the 15 plus goal a game range. Players can see how they can fit into that scheme. Define the style of play for me on O for Hop? What are their core O philosophies? I think the style is clearly emerging on D. Once the O defines this, I think the right players will emerge more easily. Hop just needs that one game changer on O.
I feel like this is a little bit of a misconception. Smith and McManus, two close defensemen, combined for 7 goals this year. The SSDMs combined for 5 goals and 10 pts. Dunn had 4 pts and clearly had the green light to run after a faceoff win. I think the staff would love to have more transition. But you need the personnel for it. We're not the fastest in the middle of the field.

Smith and McManus are exceptional athletes who took it upon themselves to clear down the field and score when those opportunities were presented but in order to be a "transition team," you need a lot more guys who can do that. And it's doubly difficult when you struggle to clear the ball in the first place. A lot of that starts with poor — or slow — outlet passing. You can't spark transition when the ball takes forever to leave the goalie's stick after a (rare) clean save. Transition at that point is dead on arrival.

As far as an offensive style — it's clearly still a work in progress. They're sort of halfway between the ideal of what PM and Junior want to run and a system that more suits the current personnel. I think a clearer identity will emerge next year based on personnel changes.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... deep-field
tuckers hurrah-last game announced, expectation is duke will beat them. Big ten got 5 teams in on the womyns side.

HF16 acts like this was a 11-5 season where the team played consistent lacrosse and players showed improvement. The staff blew up the offense midway through, the veteran goalie struggled early, and we were outscored 78-40 against quality opponents. I don't see the x/os working game to game quarter to quarter especially on offense from Grant jr. And yes krampf, chauvette, mcdermott, raposo, evans all looked undersized and outclassed physically. Peshko Grimes and Deso did not play to their size.

what 51, 16, doc b want is a return to 13 years ago where the fan base accepted years of losing and mediocrity from the program which only added pressure to future classes and anger when they didn't deliver.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:42 pm what 51, 16, doc b want is a return to 13 years ago where the fan base accepted years of losing and mediocrity from the program which only added pressure to future classes and anger when they didn't deliver.
What???? 13 years ago is roughly 2009 - which was the end of the Petro era first half where he won close to 80% of his friggin games!!!
2009 - Quarterfinalist - beat down by UVA but still Final 8
2008 - NCAA finalist
2007 - NCAA Champion
2006 - NCAA Quaterfinalist
2005 - NCAA Champion
2004 - NCAA Semi-Finalist
2003 - NCAA FInalist
2002 - NCAA Semi-Finalist

Yeah - I would love to return to 13 years ago
At least post something that makes a little bit of sense

Nobody wants to accept mediocrity - I sure don't - and I don't know if this is the right guy to get us out of mediocrity - he may not be - but he sure as heck wasn't the guy who got the program to that point and failure to understand it would take anybody a good period of time is just whiistling past the graveyard.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:06 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:42 pm what 51, 16, doc b want is a return to 13 years ago where the fan base accepted years of losing and mediocrity from the program which only added pressure to future classes and anger when they didn't deliver.
What???? 13 years ago is roughly 2009 - which was the end of the Petro era first half where he won close to 80% of his friggin games!!!
2008 - NCAA finalist
2007 - NCAA Champion
2005 - NCAA Champion
2003 - NCAA FInalist

Nobody wants to accept mediocrity - I sure don't - and I don't know if this is the right guy to get us out of mediocrity - he may not be - but he sure as heck wasn't the guy who got the program to that point and failure to understand it would take anybody a good period of time is just whiistling past the graveyard.
Legitimate question as I’m not sure of the answer or an opinion myself. Who in your opinion would have a better with this group. PMs staff or the Petro regime?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:19 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:06 pm
2008 - NCAA finalist
2007 - NCAA Champion
2005 - NCAA Champion
2003 - NCAA FInalist

Legitimate question as I’m not sure of the answer or an opinion myself. Who in your opinion would have a better with this group. PMs staff or the Petro regime?
Offense would be the same, defense would be worse.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:19 pm Legitimate question as I’m not sure of the answer or an opinion myself. Who in your opinion would have a better with this group. PMs staff or the Petro regime?
I am actually going to think about that and answer reasonably (hopefully) with some points and I think some fair questions back:
- Your base rationale for saying the offense would be better under Petro and Benson is the assumption that Murphy/Baskin/Zinn all stay AND the various 4 star freshmen recruits like Peden do not take their talents elsewhere. Otherwise it's the exact same talent base and I don't think coaching gets you out of this
- I think, however, as far as the freshmen go - particularly if the aforementioned 3 players stayed - that it is fair to think playing time would be hard to come by - the inn would be very crowded
- Then there is player positioning - both DeSimone and Angelus got some major time at attack under PM and JR and did well at times - where would they have played under DP/BB? If you believe Epstein's struggles were strictly associated with re-positioning and not his health then you are more optimistic in '21 and '22 under DP as they would have been likely more oriented to let him run the offense like he did in '19. Would Degnon have ever been moved permanently to attack?
- What transfers in or out? Would Cole Williams have stayed?
- Certainly player familiarity with the systems would be a positive for the former staff
- Defense? Certainly the smurfs were clearing out at SSDM but goalie would have been a big question mark - theoretically this year the Brown goalie would be at Hopkins but '21 could have been Darby - who knows
Ultimately - hard to say and it also comes down to your definition of "better" Beat Navy better? maybe - beat any of the teams comprising '06's favorite stat of the week 78 goals Against 40 goals For - I really don't think so

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”