2022 Women's Tewaaraton Watch List

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxer12

Re: 2022 Women's Tewaaraton Watch List

Post by laxer12 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:05 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:08 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:27 am
Lax101 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:46 pm Likely final 5 = North, Ortega, Tyrrell, Mastriani and Sterling. Don't think Trenchard has had her best year. Also tough to have 3 UNC players. Do others see it differently?
List to be released today or tomorrow . All reg season games played - so who is your top 5 deserving of the Tewaarton Award?
Just going off of Lax101’s list - think Cordingly has a very strong case as a finalist. I don’t know how much consideration the committee puts in to factors like leading a team after there are injuries to other integral players (which would help Tyrrell’s case). I think North’s DCs give her enough of an edge to earn the nod. Moreno vs Sterling is also an interesting debate because sterling has the higher save percentage but UNC had the tougher SOS. So it again depends on how much the committee looks at factors beyond individual statistics. Ortega yes, Mastroianni probably. Idk if I’m misremembering past races but this year seems the tightest it’s been in a while. Definitely don’t envy the committee
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling
Not sure what Tyrell has done to earn Tewaarton finalist status ? I mean good player puts up a lot of points . But a lot of kids do that …does she make others around her better ? I don’t know - they hve lost 5 games I dont feel that helps her case .
Not sure what Tyrrell has done to earn Tewaaraton finalist status? Hmm let's see. She leads the ACC in points per game and leads the NCAA in shooting percentage. She leads her team in goals, assists, points, game-winning goals, etc. She is routinely faceguarded/has the opposing team's best defender marking her (along with the stern attention of the rest of the team's defense) and she is still able to produce at a consistently high level. Not to mention she has been able to do all of this despite much of her supporting cast of talented offensive teammates being enfeebled with devastating injuries.

Is it Tyrrell's fault that the Syracuse defense and goalie play has been porous and wildly unreliable through the majority of the season? No. And all of Syracuse's 5 losses were close games and a few of them could've easily gone the other way. If 5 losses on a team is too many for a player on said team to be a tewaaraton finalist, how was Lizzie Colson a finalist last year on a Maryland team that went 10-7?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

laxer12 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:55 pm
Lax101 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:46 pm Likely final 5 = North, Ortega, Tyrrell, Mastriani and Sterling. Don't think Trenchard has had her best year. Also tough to have 3 UNC players. Do others see it differently?
List to be released today or tomorrow . All reg season games played - so who is your top 5 deserving of the Tewaarton Award?
Just going off of Lax101’s list - think Cordingly has a very strong case as a finalist. I don’t know how much consideration the committee puts in to factors like leading a team after there are injuries to other integral players (which would help Tyrrell’s case). I think North’s DCs give her enough of an edge to earn the nod. Moreno vs Sterling is also an interesting debate because sterling has the higher save percentage but UNC had the tougher SOS. So it again depends on how much the committee looks at factors beyond individual statistics. Ortega yes, Mastroianni probably. Idk if I’m misremembering past races but this year seems the tightest it’s been in a while. Definitely don’t envy the committee
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling
Not sure what Tyrell has done to earn Tewaarton finalist status ? I mean good player puts up a lot of points . But a lot of kids do that …does she make others around her better ? I don’t know - they hve lost 5 games I dont feel that helps her case .
Not sure what Tyrrell has done to earn Tewaaraton finalist status? Hmm let's see. She leads the ACC in points per game and leads the NCAA in shooting percentage. She leads her team in goals, assists, points, game-winning goals, etc. She is routinely faceguarded/has the opposing team's best defender marking her (along with the stern attention of the rest of the team's defense) and she is still able to produce at a consistently high level. Not to mention she has been able to do all of this despite much of her supporting cast of talented offensive teammates being enfeebled with devastating injuries.

Is it Tyrrell's fault that the Syracuse defense and goalie play has been porous and wildly unreliable through the majority of the season? No. And all of Syracuse's 5 losses were close games and a few of them could've easily gone the other way. If 5 losses on a team is too many for a player on said team to be a tewaaraton finalist, how was Lizzie Colson a finalist last year on a Maryland team that went 10-7?
Colson was on there because Maryland needed a player to rep them - no question
And I would have chosen Sterling over Tyrell. Can’t all be attackers .
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

She is a finalist, it was just announced on the Tewaaratons Instagram account about 30 mins ago
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:03 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

And I would've chosen Tyrrell over Sterling and/or Mastroianni 🤷‍♂️

It's about who is the most important player on a given team, regardless of position, and how successful that team is.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:39 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:24 pm
@inthe8m wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:17 am I think we can all agree that the final 5 should be Ortega, Growney, Wartzburger, Trenchard, and Moreno.[/unc fans]

I guess that's funny to UNC fans, but to me...total nightmare. I lost respect for the Women's side of the T-Award many years ago, but then Meghan Taylor won it and I thought "maybe there's hope". If Cordingley's name is not on the list, it's bogus. And I can make a strong case for Stanford's Ashley Humphrey, who in 18 games has 120 total points(36 goals, 84 assists), that makes her one of the premier attackers in D1.
Unfortunately Humphrey wasn’t on the list of 25 nominees so I don’t think she has a case to make. Almost positive she’ll make the list next year, though

And once again, someone who is worthy now has to "wait til next year". And no Sterling makes me even less interested.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:25 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:39 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:24 pm
@inthe8m wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:17 am I think we can all agree that the final 5 should be Ortega, Growney, Wartzburger, Trenchard, and Moreno.[/unc fans]

I guess that's funny to UNC fans, but to me...total nightmare. I lost respect for the Women's side of the T-Award many years ago, but then Meghan Taylor won it and I thought "maybe there's hope". If Cordingley's name is not on the list, it's bogus. And I can make a strong case for Stanford's Ashley Humphrey, who in 18 games has 120 total points(36 goals, 84 assists), that makes her one of the premier attackers in D1.
Unfortunately Humphrey wasn’t on the list of 25 nominees so I don’t think she has a case to make. Almost positive she’ll make the list next year, though

And once again, someone who is worthy now has to "wait til next year". And no Sterling makes me even less interested.
Yes and Humphrey & a teammate intentionally red shirted last season in order to have 4 full seasons of lacrosse. So she will likely put someone else in that same position one day.

The solution to the canceled COVID season was never going to be fair for everyone. It is what it is.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

laxer 12 wrote..."It's about who is the most important player on a given team, regardless of position, and how successful that team is."

Really? Are you sure about that? Go look at the ridiculous, convoluted history of this award on the Women's side and see if your statement holds true.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:32 pm laxer 12 wrote..."It's about who is the most important player on a given team, regardless of position, and how successful that team is."

Really? Are you sure about that? Go look at the ridiculous, convoluted history of this award on the Women's side and see if your statement holds true.
Haha. That is what it's supposed to be about anyway. I never stated that, without a shadow of a doubt, is what actually happens in terms of who is chosen to be a finalist/who actually wins it.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

laxer12 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:12 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

It's about who is the most important player on a given team, regardless of position, and how successful that team is.
Well then what about Abby Hormes ? Isn’t she the most important player on her team? And just broke North’s record for goals in a season ? Can’t use that argument ….
Last edited by Laxfan500 on Thu May 12, 2022 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:40 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

Well then what about Abby Hotmes ? Isn’t she the most important player on her team? And just broke North’s record for goals in a season ? Can’t use that argument ….
To which argument are you referring to? You can't refute any of the points I made in my original post. And your statement about how Tyrrell doesn't make her teammates around her better is blatantly false. What do you call someone that can always be counted on to complete a play, whether that be scoring off a feed or individual dodge? Someone that sets up her teammates with great feeds when she is routinely double-teamed? Someone that sets great picks for other players (so they can score) when she is being faceguarded? She is one of the most selfless, efficient (rarely ever turns the ball over), dominant attackers in recent memory. She is a top 5 player in the country (in my eyes) with no question. Sorry if you disagree.

And why even compare her to Abby Hormes? They are two completely different players that play very different levels of competition. Not to mention Hormes takes about 10 shots per game whereas Tyrrell takes about half as many. Efficiency matters.
Last edited by laxer12 on Thu May 12, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

laxer12 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:57 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

Well then what about Abby Hotmes ? Isn’t she the most important player on her team? And just broke North’s record for goals in a season ? Can’t use that argument ….
To which argument are you referring to? You can't refute any of the points I made in my original post. And your statement about how Tyrrell doesn't make her teammates around her better is blatantly false. What do you call someone that can always be counted on to complete a play, whether that be scoring off a feed or individual dodge? Someone that sets up her teammates with great feeds when she is routinely double-teamed? Someone that sets great picks for other players (so they can score) when she is being faceguarded? She is one of the most selfless, efficient (rarely ever turns the ball over), dominant attackers in recent memory. She is a top 5 player in the country (in my eyes) with no question. Sorry if you disagree.
I do disagree. And that’s ok.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:05 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

If Syracuse was in UNC's position, I highly doubt you would disagree. Her stats compared to Ortega's are pretty identical.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

laxer12 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:08 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

If Syracuse was in UNC's position, I highly doubt you would disagree. Her stats compared to Ortega's are pretty identical.
Ortega is the most team oriented player I hve seen in a while . One who is routinely taken out of big games. Has a terrific ride. It’s not all about stats . Or it shouldn’t be. She also has to routinely move her position and adapt to that. Tyrell always stays in same crease area honing her skills.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:11 pm
laxer12 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:08 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

Ortega is the most team oriented player I hve seen in a while . One who is routinely taken out of big games. Has a terrific ride. It’s not all about stats . Or it shouldn’t be. She also has to routinely move her position and adapt to that. Tyrell always stays in same crease area honing her skills.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ highly disagree with "Tyrrell always stays in the same crease area honing her skills". She will dodge, feed, and cut from anywhere.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

laxer 12 wrote : "And why even compare her to Abby Hormes? They are two completely different players that play very different levels of competition. Not to mention Hormes takes about 10 shots per game whereas Tyrrell takes about half as many. Efficiency matters."

LEVEL OF COMPETITION...there it is! The snobbery of this sport continues to amaze me, but I don't know why. See how laxer 12 just summarily dismissed Abby Hormes because she plays at High Point? If you don't play for certain schools in certain conferences, then YOU JUST DON'T MATTER! :x :x

Right??
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:38 pm laxer 12 wrote : "And why even compare her to Abby Hormes? They are two completely different players that play very different levels of competition. Not to mention Hormes takes about 10 shots per game whereas Tyrrell takes about half as many. Efficiency matters."

LEVEL OF COMPETITION...there it is! The snobbery of this sport continues to amaze me, but I don't know why. See how laxer 12 just summarily dismissed Abby Hormes because she plays at High Point? If you don't play for certain schools in certain conferences, then YOU JUST DON'T MATTER! :x :x

Right??
Nope, not right, Larry. I wasn't dismissing her or saying she was a bad player that doesn't deserve recognition; you shouldn't assume so much. If High Point had a more successful season (they finished 10-9) and weren't absolutely blown out in all of their games against ranked opponents, I think Hormes would get more recognition and consideration for awards like the Tewaaraton. But it's painfully clear that High Point is not currently at that level yet. Not sure how any of that is controversial or considered, "snobby".
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

“Is it Tyrrell's fault that the Syracuse defense and goalie play has been porous and wildly unrealiable” ….
It’s only a team sport when it’s convenient . I guess offense and their turnovers (incidentally MT with 20 TO) had nothing to do with any Cuse losses!
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

laxer12 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:56 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:38 pm laxer 12 wrote : "And why even compare her to Abby Hormes? They are two completely different players that play very different levels of competition. Not to mention Hormes takes about 10 shots per game whereas Tyrrell takes about half as many. Efficiency matters."

Right??
Nope, not right, Larry. I wasn't dismissing her or saying she was a bad player that doesn't deserve recognition; you shouldn't assume so much. If High Point had a more successful season (they finished 10-9) and weren't absolutely blown out in all of their games against ranked opponents, I think Hormes would get more recognition and consideration for awards like the Tewaaraton. But it's painfully clear that High Point is not currently at that level yet. Not sure how any of that is controversial or considered, "snobby".

You used the word 'bad', I never said you said that. Funny how you slipped and said it. Maybe I'm reading too much into this?
In the old LaxPower days, I told people how good a certain D2 team was...and that was Adelphi, led by Joe Spallina. I told people this team was loaded with D1 talent(that D1 coaches had missed) and that they would more than hold their own against D1 competition. Very few people believed me because people love to tell themselves this, "if this girl was really good, then why is she playing at this school or in that Division?" If I take Hormes and put her on Stony Brook, maybe she doesn't score as many Goals as she did at High Point. However, maybe she makes SB even more formidable on offense by increasing their GPG by 3, from 15.6 to 18.6 .

My Point...if you're a good player you can play in a lot of places. If you choose to go somewhere that is not a top 20 program or D1, that does not make you less talented nor should it call into question your ability to play at a higher level.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:41 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

Yikes. Now you're really being shallow. But sure, since you started this rabbit hole, I'll go down it with you. I don't think 20 turnovers in 18 games by any means constitutes a bad percentage, especially when considering she has 67 (has only taken 5.83 shots per game) goals, and 32 assists.

Jamie Ortega has had 25 turnovers in 18 games. Lauren Gilbert: 38 turnovers in 17 games. Aurora Cordingley: 35 turnovers in 17 games. Kyla Sears: 44 turnovers in 17 games. Charlotte North: 31 turnovers in 19 games.

Suffice to say, I don't think the argument that Meaghan Tyrrell's 20 turnovers in 18 games has been anywhere near the reason why Syracuse has lost the games it has. You're the one that stated Syracuse, the TEAM, has lost too many games and therefore Tyrrell shouldn't be a finalist. Hence why I brought up the struggles of the SU defense and goalies. The SU offense has definitely underperformed in several games this season but once again, that can be attributed to all of the losses and injuries they've had to key players. Which once again, proves my point that Tyrrell has been absolutely indispensable to the success Syracuse has had this year. But I don't know, did the SU goalies only making one save in the Virginia game hurt them? How about the 3 saves they made in the overtime loss to Northwestern? Perhaps. Possibly.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

laxer12 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:02 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:41 pm
My thoughts:
North
Ortega
Mastro
Cordingly
Sterling

Yikes. Now you're really being shallow. But sure, since you started this rabbit hole, I'll go down it with you. I don't think 20 turnovers in 18 games by any means constitutes a bad percentage, especially when considering she has 67 (has only taken 5.83 shots per game) goals, and 32 assists.

Jamie Ortega has had 25 turnovers in 18 games. Lauren Gilbert: 38 turnovers in 17 games. Aurora Cordingley: 35 turnovers in 17 games. Kyla Sears: 44 turnovers in 17 games. Charlotte North: 31 turnovers in 19 games.

Suffice to say, I don't think the argument that Meaghan Tyrrell's 20 turnovers in 18 games has been anywhere near the reason why Syracuse has lost the games it has. You're the one that stated Syracuse, the TEAM, has lost too many games and therefore Tyrrell shouldn't be a finalist. Hence why I brought up the struggles of the SU defense and goalies. The SU offense has definitely underperformed in several games this season but once again, that can be attributed to all of the losses and injuries they've had to key players. Which once again, proves my point that Tyrrell has been absolutely indispensable to the success Syracuse has had this year. But I don't know, did the SU goalies only making one save in the Virginia game hurt them? How about the 3 saves they made in the overtime loss to Northwestern? Perhaps. Possibly.
We could go all night on this debate. It will come down to which team ultimately makes it to the final 4 - prob most likely which teams get to final. You had better hope Cuse plays better than they did against UVA because no way MT wins if Cuse doesn’t go far .

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”