SUNYAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
boredatwork

Re: SUNYAC 2022

Post by boredatwork »

Olaxfan wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:49 pm SUNYAC all-conference list is out. Only 2 teams with no players on list, Oneonta and New Paltz. Speaks volumes of what the other SUNYAC coaches think of Owens. Oneonta makes playoffs but no player receives all-conference.
Wouldn’t that in fact speak highly of Coach Owens if he got them to a conference tournament without any All-Conference players?
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Actually it doesn't, Oneonta has plenty of players with all-conference talent including two returning all-conference players from last year. The way all-conference works is coaches submit the players on their team who they believe earned all-conference. The higher the team finishes in the conference usually grants them more spots on the all-conference list. The coaches then vote for the players nominated by the teams coach. Usually there is some behind the scenes negotiations for certain players. The better known and respected coaches usually do better in the behind the scenes negotiations.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Great job by the Cortland coaching staff in the second half of the season. At one point, Cortland was 3-6 with a home loss to Scranton and multiple blowout losses. The team reeled off ten consecutive victories, including wins over Ithaca, Nazareth, and two victories over a strong Geneseo squad. Yesterday, they almost took down St. Lawrence, a legit top-ten team that will give Bowdoin a hard test. Cortland's team in the second half of the season didn't even resemble the squad that started 3-6.

The biggest need in the offseason is a FOGO. If Cortland splits the faceoffs with St. Lawrence, they win yesterday. It seemed Cortland never had the ball, and the shot disparity showed it. Cortland was far more efficient offensively and still almost overcame the faceoff problems. Though the freshman FOGO shows promise, they need to improve this position.

The Red Dragons could also use more speed in the center of the field. Several times, St. Lawrence cleared the ball by have a SSM simply outrun the ride, starting a fast break for the offense. Fix those issues, and Cortland could surprise people in next year's tournament.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

dp68 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:50 am Great job by the Cortland coaching staff in the second half of the season. At one point, Cortland was 3-6 with a home loss to Scranton and multiple blowout losses. The team reeled off ten consecutive victories, including wins over Ithaca, Nazareth, and two victories over a strong Geneseo squad. Yesterday, they almost took down St. Lawrence, a legit top-ten team that will give Bowdoin a hard test. Cortland's team in the second half of the season didn't even resemble the squad that started 3-6.

The biggest need in the offseason is a FOGO. If Cortland splits the faceoffs with St. Lawrence, they win yesterday. It seemed Cortland never had the ball, and the shot disparity showed it. Cortland was far more efficient offensively and still almost overcame the faceoff problems. Though the freshman FOGO shows promise, they need to improve this position.

The Red Dragons could also use more speed in the center of the field. Several times, St. Lawrence cleared the ball by have a SSM simply outrun the ride, starting a fast break for the offense. Fix those issues, and Cortland could surprise people in next year's tournament.
!00% agree. Great job turning around a season even after losing two starters.
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

Brockport job is posted. Transitioning to a part-time position. Ouch.

Part-time with a Masters Degree preferred. Laughable

https://careers.pageuppeople.com/788/cw ... osse-coach
richard

Post by richard »

How does Brockport expect to get away with this? 10 month, poverty pay. You can’t work this job and have another to make up for what you don’t get there. Yeah and then somebody with a masters is going to go for this. :roll:
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

There are D3 assistant positions that pay more than what they're offering.

Mind blowing.
Pegasus5

Post by Pegasus5 »

Well it is a State School. A DIII non-revenue sport. What is the correct price? Funded by tax payer dollars, in addition to the cost of running the academic programs, paying professors and all other staff at the institution...what is the number that tax payers in the State of NY should pay for an extracurricular activity. Whether it is volleyball, golf, or lacrosse.
richard

Post by richard »

Pegasus5 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:42 pm Well it is a State School. A DIII non-revenue sport. What is the correct price? Funded by tax payer dollars, in addition to the cost of running the academic programs, paying professors and all other staff at the institution...what is the number that tax payers in the State of NY should pay for an extracurricular activity. Whether it is volleyball, golf, or lacrosse.
More than 22,500
Pegasus5

Post by Pegasus5 »

Richard: More than 22,500?....well that is just silly. This is a lacrosse forum so I get it. But seriously, it is a DIII state school in a remote rural environment in upstate NY. "State" schools like Rutgers that still has a dog in the fight or maybe all the BI$ Ten state schools have a "number". But be real. Why would this institution, a SUNY State school seriously pay more than this. More than what they pay an adjunct professor?
richard

Post by richard »

SUNY Geneseo average salary for a mens head coach is more than 55 grand. Brockport can match that.
Pegasus5

Post by Pegasus5 »

If your numbers are right that is reasonable. Moreover, if those numbers are equivalent to SUNY Oswego, Cortland, Binghamton, etc. then that is market price. And SUNY Brockport should not be anything less than that.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

richard wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:59 pm SUNY Geneseo average salary for a mens head coach is more than 55 grand. Brockport can match that.
When Geneseo was posted last year it had a posted salary of $42k. That’s not very good. You can look up Beville’s salary at Cortland. It is $80k. Which is fine, not great for a top end program - if you can still call it that.
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

New Platz (First year in SUNYAC): $53k
Oswego: $47
Potsdam: $72
Plattsburgh: $45
Cortland: $82
Geneseo: $45
Oneonta: $49

Tax payer money aside, the new Brockport coach will be tasked with guiding 50+ young mens college athletic careers. This includes their mental health and physical well-being among other things. This position should be a full time, benefits eligible position.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

FYI the Brockport job is FT, not sure of the salary. The PT listing was a mistake. So Brockport still has FT coach position and nothing has changed except who will be coaching.
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

River Donkey wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:39 am FYI the Brockport job is FT, not sure of the salary. The PT listing was a mistake. So Brockport still has FT coach position and nothing has changed except who will be coaching.
FWIW, it is still listed as PT on the Brockport job portal and specifically has a salary listed (which is different than the PT wrestling post salary), which I find hard to believe was an innocent mistake.
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

Pegasus5 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:42 pm Richard: More than 22,500?....well that is just silly. This is a lacrosse forum so I get it. But seriously, it is a DIII state school in a remote rural environment in upstate NY. "State" schools like Rutgers that still has a dog in the fight or maybe all the BI$ Ten state schools have a "number". But be real. Why would this institution, a SUNY State school seriously pay more than this. More than what they pay an adjunct professor?
This is a mentality that infuriates me.

Let's put it in a "real world" perspective.

You're in a upper-level managerial position that is responsible for overseeing a staff of well over 50, you're responsible for vetting, recruiting, and hiring the equivalent of 25% of your staff yearly due to natural "turnover". Responsible to ensure as many of those new hires move on to higher positions within 4 years. Responsible for maintaining relationships with former employees in order to help fundraise for operational costs.

This isn't even the tip of the iceberg. If you interviewed for this job and they offered you $22k after you've put in your time and gotten a Master's, I can guarantee you'd laugh at the HR rep.

People don't enter coaching to get rich, but to pay a head coach $22k is an insult to the breadth of responsibility a head coach carries, and an insult comparatively to similar positions within the SUNY system. Not to mention the cost out-of-pocket for that Master's degree that is "preferred." I spent multiple years applying to HC positions before I had my Master's and I received exactly 0 phone calls. I had 4 interviews the year I finished it. Gotta check the box.

A full-time 10-month lecturer at Brockport minimum salary is $55k. Part time instructor is $45k, according to job postings on their HR website. To think that a HC doesn't deserve a similar salary is just... "silly" :roll:
fanOlax

Post by fanOlax »

River Donkey wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:39 am FYI the Brockport job is FT, not sure of the salary. The PT listing was a mistake. So Brockport still has FT coach position and nothing has changed except who will be coaching.
This was not a mistake, I have talked to an alumni of brockport and the AD has confirmed in multiple emails that it is part time due to the school trying to remain financially stable.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

fanOlax wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:59 am
This was not a mistake, I have talked to an alumni of brockport and the AD has confirmed in multiple emails that it is part time due to the school trying to remain financially stable.
Wow! That’s sad. I thought my resource was reliable but you have multiple reliable resources so I must have been given bad intel.
richard

Post by richard »

Financially stable? It is a state school. Similar to Oswego, Oneonta, Platty etc. I call bs. It's not like student numbers would be an issue. It's pretty much a commuter school just outside of Rochester. There is bs going on somewhere.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”